101 creative uses for cantrips

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
190: One-wizard puppet show!

191: constant theme song!
192. "Look Mom, real magic!"~ any cantrip
193) Mage Handjob.
194. How to get a muppet familiar: Magehand & Ghost Sound meets small furry animal puppet.

195. Prestidigitation & Ghost Sound: Classic Angel and Devil on each shoulder arguing. When people ask you say, "Its the peril of being unaligned."

196. Speak Gibberish, Prestidigitate subtitles or Ghost Sound words that do not match with the movements of your mouth.

197. Distract guards by cooling down their underwear just before the rogue sneaks behind them. Its gotta be worth a situational modifier.

198. Make someone you don't like attract a lot of flies by making them smell like rotting dung.... but only when they open their mouth.

199. Dramatic lighting, distant thunder rumbling sound effects, and a slightly augmented resonance to their voice should really grant your charismatic player a situational bonus modifier to their intimidate rolls.

200. Any creative use at all makes mutliclassing as a rogue worth while.
201) Have a narrator to your adventure, especially when describing how good the rogue in your party is at sneaking (ghost sound).
202) Trigger a trap that your rogue is currently trying to disable (Mage Hand).
203) Make the rogue regret stealing your "shinies," by making the rogue shine (Light).
204) Paint a target on the rogue's back (Prestidigitation).
205) Make the Rogue's shoes sqeaky clean, literally (Prestidigitation).
Dont forget, there's a limit on how powerful presti can be, things like making a mirror to see around the corner gets to be very controversial.

206: Magehand to open/close a drawer or cabinet in the bar to keep the barkeep occupied
207: Play catch with your own magehand
208: Ceating a halo above your party face's head as they say 'Trust Me' to the local king
Don't forget about the Staff in Advent VAult that lets you have more than 1 magehand at a time :D Full body massage after those long battles.
209) Give the tough-as-nails paladin hot pink hair (did this once, paladin was NOT happy)

Of course, that was waaaaay back in 3.5
210. Invis an item, then mage hand it into someone bag. Accuse them of stealing from you.

211. Have mage hand hold up 3 fingers, then ask the recently unconscious fighter how many fingers you are holding up.

212. Ghost sound the Ocean's waves till you fall asleep.

213. Techno Rave, or laser light show.

214. change the color of objects all the time, but never mention it. little by little make your group question reality.
215: This one needs either two wizards or someone to burn an Action Point--My Gnome I may make when PHB II comes out would do this...

Use Ghost Sound to simulate a loud fart, then deliver the stench with Prestidigitation...
215. Tickle an enemy who is in the process of climbing with your Mage Hand.
216. Grab the dagger your rogue friend just threw at an enemy and return it to him with your Mage Hand.
217. Use Mage Hand to hold a coveted treasure high in the air while your party decides who gets it, then if their answer doesn't please you, slip the item into your Bag of Holding while they aren't looking... oh wait, that's just something mean that I've done recently. *shrug*
215: This one needs either two wizards or someone to burn an Action Point--My Gnome I may make when PHB II comes out would do this...

Use Ghost Sound to simulate a loud fart, then deliver the stench with Prestidigitation...

doesn't always require an action point. think about it. most the time you smell it a few seconds after the sound.
doesn't always require an action point. think about it. most the time you smell it a few seconds after the sound.

True enough. But a 6 second delay just might be too long though, wouldn't it?
215. Tickle an enemy who is in the process of climbing with your Mage Hand.

Nothing you create with this cantrip can deal damage,
serve as a weapon or a tool, or hinder another creature’s
actions.
This cantrip cannot duplicate the effect of any
other power. (pg. 159)

Emphasis mine.

218. Free Booze. Sit at the dark corner:
Round #1: Minor Action creates mage's hand. Standard Action use Prestidigitation to make it invisible (Lasts till the end of your next turn).
Round #2: Standard Action to make a bottle on the shelf invisible. Minor action to make Mage's hand grab it, Move action to bring it over. Hand disappears.
Round #3: Drink to your heart's pleasure (and your liver's displeasure).

219. Use the above method to steal anything, except that in Round #3 you pocket whatever you stole, and use a move action to walk away. Optionally, use a free action to whistle innocently as you walk around the corner.
Originally Posted by The PHB
Nothing you create with this cantrip can deal damage,
serve as a weapon or a tool, or hinder another creature’s
actions. This cantrip cannot duplicate the effect of any
other power. (pg. 159)

It says that for Prestidigitation, not Mage Hand. Nothing in the description of Mage Hand says that.
220. Light Candy. Same idea as casting light on a pebble, but more like candy! Everybody likes candy! (and no, light doesn't last long enough to end up with light poop)

221. Use Presti to start a small camp fire -- but have that small campfire attached, via a line of oil or other flameable liquid, to a much larger fire. It might take a while, but with a little planning you could create quite the large hedge fire.

222. Thunder and Lightening every time you enter a room for dramatic effect! Or, constant wind blowing in your hair.

223. Every time somebody mentions some villans name, the sound of horses neighing is heard in the back ground (Young Frankenstien, anybody?)
223. Every time somebody mentions some villans name, the sound of horses neighing is heard in the back ground (Young Frankenstien, anybody?)

That only applies if the villain is named after a famous glue factory... Blucher anyone?
224. Get a sword with a blade made of glass or crystal. Then cast light to make the blade glow red and hide it in your hilt. Then the next time you draw it cast ghost sound at the same time to make a Vwoom sound and to have it constantly hum.

All you'll need is some robes and you'll be a jedi in no time.
On 224: MC Swordmage anyone?
I don't know if it has been mentioned:

225. Use Presti to flavor your water into beer or fine wine. Same with some boring food (e.g. bread): flavor it into something delicious (e.g. rumpsteak or roast)

226. Create a familiar: (props to Bedeverekm)
My character uses mage hand for physical form, prestidigitation for fine tuning of appearance, and ghost sound for speech and so on, replicating a non combat familiar well enough.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

This thread solved our problems and saved our campaign last night. We were in the Pyramid of Shadows. We had made an unsteady truce with Garash and his outlaws. They had trapped a werewolf (don't know if this is part of the module, it might be something our DM added because it hooks our ongoing campaign.) We discover that the werewolf is, in fact, one of the people (potential ally) we entered the pyramid looking for. Oh no! How to resue him? If we open the doors we will have to fight Garash and the werewolf at the same time and possibly killing it. Fight Garash, then open the doors? Still, probably have to fight our friend.

I write a note, make it invisible with presti, magehand slip the note under the door! Yeah, the werewolf now knows we are on his side and is trying to control the transformation.

We discover that the arborians have Belladona - hooray. We just went to get it and we plan on using catrips to get the Belladona to the werewolf.

All ideas borrowed from this thread! Thank you!
227. two mages finding out who's stronger....mage hand wrestling!!
Amazed at how obtuse people can be since 1972.
The ideas here are great, but how about some actual use of cantrips during gameplay?

Here are mine:

228: Wizard as cleric: wizard casts mage hand next to party member, uses move action to draw healing potion from the latter's belt, uses standard action to administer potion to wounded character ("Say, 'Aaaahhhh'."). I think I've used this tactic nearly a dozen times over 2 adventures to keep party members from going down.

229: During bar fight in Rivenroar module, goblins set 2 bar patrons on fire. My wizard wanted to save them, but DM said the wizard had to move beside the patron to put out the fire. Since the patrons were apart from each other, the wizard would only be able to save one but not the other. So wizard used Prestidigitation to snuff out fire on nearest patron, moved to the other patron, then spent an Action Point to use Presti again to save the second dude.
Me too! Me too!

230. Want to enter a room, but the door is barred? Go to a window and use mage hand.

231. When you are in cold climate, use prestidigitation to warm your clothes. A full-body overall with socks and gloves sewn on works best. When in the desert, chill your clothes.

232. Want to make children happy? Give them pebbles cleaned and then flavored with prestidigitation. Tata: 1-hour lasting sweets!

233. Not a cantrip, but a ritual: Use Preserve Flame on a bucket of oil to make napalm that can't be extinguished. Use as anti-ship weapon.

234. Another ritual: Pretend to be an epic level wizard when you are just level 1 by buying a 4'*4' rug, putting way too much starch on it and then putting it on your Tenser's Floating Disk, pretending you own a level 20 flying carpet.
7) the always useful coin of light.

Dear god!! Will someone please inform the wizard that needs to stop throwing glowing gold pieces and start collecting useless rocks for this purpose. I keep running after the shiny coins he throws... right into the horde of undead...
--The rogue
Dear god!! Will someone please inform the wizard that needs to stop throwing glowing gold pieces and start collecting useless rocks for this purpose. I keep running after the shiny coins he throws... right into the horde of undead...
--The rogue

Why would he throw them anyway, rather than mage-hand them around the area and back to him?

But yes: pebbles of light would seem more sensible.

Oh and if no-one's done them yet:

235) Sand in the eyes during combat.

236) Returning someone's thrown axe/javelin to them during combat.
237. Use mage hand to grab a monster's nose. Use prestidigitation to make their nose vanish. Use prestidigitation to create a fake nose that looks like the monster's. Wave it around and yell "Got your nose!"
238. The group I GM for was clearing out a kruthik lair and were doing pretty good but were rolling pretty bad in the final fight of it and the quarters were a bit too tight when the wizard decided to use prestidigitation to make the queen smell like dead kruthik (Which they really don't like). Broke up the ranks and drove the queen insane (It burrowed away) which allowed the party pick off the remaining ones and get to the nest as the eggs were starting to hatch. They were able to destroy them after only a few had hatched.
239. Invis the Fighter's weapon with Prestidigitation. This *should* (but probably doesn't) allow the Fighter to gain CA against whatever he attacks first.

240. Shout insults at the BBEG from across the battlefield and Ghost Sound the sound of his minions laughing along with your allies.

241. (For those of you with the Hedge Wizard's Gloves): Let your Mage Hand carry your Bag of Holding while you (as a Rogue) go around Pickpocketing things. If someone accuses you, you can Presti. invis the bag of holding and they have no proof of your wrong-doing.

242. Cast a Zone power (one that can be sustained) and Presti. the zone invisible so monsters can't find it to avoid it. Also, if you can move the zone, even better ... just make sure you don't run out of actions in your turn doing this.

243. Presti. all ammunition you use to be bright, vibrant colors as you use it.

244. During combat, use Prestidigitation to keep a tally of how many hitpoints damage you have dealt to a bad guy; keep it on his chest or as numbers floating above his head.
245: (an ACTUAL use for cantrips(excluding the always useful light)) Create mage hand, prestidigitise it invisible, and when stealthed looking over at a guard patrol, move the Mage hand over, GLEEMAX!GLEEMAX!GLEEMAX!GLEEMAX! back, and smack one of the guards in the back of the head. Sit back and watch a fight commence.
Given that the great danger noone's commented on yet of all these nifty powers is that you don't have to get up for anything = laziness, thus leading to fatness, this is vital:

Prestidigitation - make cake taste like crap and celery taste like chocolate, thus allowing the understandably lazy wizard to stick to their diet.
How to play a Wizard Defender

246: We were in a farmer's field ridden with hay bales, a goblin was firing his crossbow at me through a hatch-style window in the top level of the barn. I used the Magehand to slam it shut on him and used my move action to hide behind a different bale quite a ways away.

On my next turn I used Ghost Sound to scream obscenities in goblin from the bale of hay I previously hid behind. The goblin flew into a rage and never stopped firing at the old bale. He left all other party members alone.
A new idea that just occurred... if you can get close enough to an enemy that's using it's ranged weapon, you could mage hand it's melee weapon from it's scabbard and drop it in your backpack.

Especially good with soldiers/brutes that like to get a shot in before they close!
What about pulling arrows out of the quiver of an unsuspecting archer of some sort?

not sure if this was done already so i didnt add a number lol..
has no one tried this yet?

247. Cast Light on the BBEG's eyeball and try to convince the DM it's worth an attack penalty.
A new idea that just occurred... if you can get close enough to an enemy that's using it's ranged weapon, you could mage hand it's melee weapon from it's scabbard and drop it in your backpack.

Especially good with soldiers/brutes that like to get a shot in before they close!

I'm pretty sure that a sheathed sword (and the arrows in the quiver from the post below yours) would count as attended items and wouldn't be eligible to be targetted by Mage Hand.
I was playing Core 1-7 Sovereign of the Mind in LFR and during the last fight with the Grells(normal size) I used Bigby's Icy Grasp on one of the normal Grells then during a later turn when the Lesser Grell(small sized) started bothering me I Thunder Waved it away them made a Mage Hand to taunt it with a 'Mini Bigby's'. It flew to someone else not wanting to get grabbed!
248: Constantly make sounds that don't fit the situation (owl hooting in a tavern at noon, etc), change colors of random mundane objects, such as fruit, and change minute details in the tavern you frequent. Never mention it to other players. Eventually, they will begin to doubt their sanity (or memories)

249: probably already said, but wickedly useful:
When a trap/ambush seems obvious, use ghost sound to make the sounds of your party passing. Watch as the ambush springs on nothing, and strike as the monsters scratch their heads in confusion. (surprise round? combat advantage?)
250: I didn't see it here, but it seems so obvious. If you're being followed, enter a tavern and use mage hand to spill the patron's drinks as your opponent passes them. Make sure a dwarf is in his path, and you're sure to shake him.

251: In the same vein, a discreet getaway can be made by starting a fight. Simply use mage hand to jiggle a hanging coin purse or ruffle a jacket, creating the illusion that someone is being robbed.

3.5 Arcane Trickster here.
When the baby dragon bites you to see if you are food or not, make yourself taste horrible. Bonus points: Make the dwarf next to you smell like steak.

(I've got a version of the list that condenses this thread, eliminates duplicates, corrects spelling and grammar, removes ones that don't work with Cantrips or aren't legal in 4th Ed, and renumbers. Anyone interested?)
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
72)Cast Light on an archer's arrow/crossbow. When they hit the goblin, he will have trouble hiding!

You actually just invented a medieval tracer round.