101 creative uses for cantrips

198 posts / 0 new
Last post
116: Make your enemy's drink taste like it is poisoned and watch him start killing underlings.

117: In honor of Master Chief's number I give you my best one...make the escaping enemy's armor glow. It will take him 5 mins to get out of it and he will be in the middle of a 5x5 square of bright light of 5 mins if he runs.
116: Make your enemy's drink taste like it is poisoned and watch him start killing underlings.

118. Make your enemies drink taste like it is poisoned, THEN SELL HIM THE ANTIDOTE.
Reality is a reference point, not a limitation.
119: mage hand your sword in your hand to make attacks with the WotST class
120) Invent Mage Cola (tm). Use Prestidigitation to add truly unnatural colors, flavors, and glowing effervescence to ordinary beverages.
A character in the game I'm running did both of these tonight.

121)Used mage hand to stop a door from closing and thereby cutting off the party's line of retreat.

Me "The BBEG waves his hand and the doors begin to close"

Player "I use mage hand to wedge them open"

Me

Player :D

122) Me "The blood is beginning to run under the sacrificial alter."

Player "I use mage hand to scoop it back."

:D

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

123. Use mage hand to pleasure someone from a distance (as seen in Bruce Almighty and Modern Problems)
124. using mage hand to hold a rock lit by Light, light has a range of 4, magehand a range of 5, hold the light so that your party isnt illuminated, but anything in frong of them (trying an ambush) IS.

125. Prestidgitise the blood off your close, collect in cup for later use.

126. snuff out tourches so a party with lowlight/darkvision can use stealth anywhere, enemies cannot.
127: presti/ghost sound a strange creature or worm bursting from various orifices or stomach
128: mage hand pick your nose
129: mage hand pick someone elses nose
130: pull tent pegs out of the ground with mage hand
131: show up to a duel completely bloody (predistignation) then miraculously "heal"
131: every time your defender orders a beer warm it when he's not looking
132: cast light on your teeth... insta flashlight with on off
133: every time your cleric touches their holy symbol make it colder so he thinks its broken
134: grab an arrow with an invisible mage hand and slowly glide it towards any merchant that tries to rip you off.
135: entertain yourself with mini fireworks and what ever cat/dogs happen to be around.
136. light on annoying hiding foe's armour to prevent him from repeatedly hiding
137. Use Mage Hand to rattle a bush, so the guard goes to investigate.

138. Use Ghost Sound to repeatedly make a guard call for help, until the reinforcements next door get tired of it.

139. Open a door with Mage Hand.

140. Use Ghost Sound to create a distraction so the Rogue can sneak past the guards.
The most amusing thing my Wizard player has done was

76) use Mage Hand to flip the bird at the trash-talking Drow ranger in the party after you steal his kill.

ROFLMAO :D
141. Mage Hand to scratch that spot on your back you just can't reach.
142. Puff of Smoke to find the direction of the wind.
143. Change the haflings clothes to green and shout "Leprechaun!"
144. Have the biggest party member stand upon Tensor's Floating Disk wearing robes and move the disk towards the gate. Ghost Sound to say "I AM THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS! THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS." (moving disc closer).Ghost Sound "MY MEN ARE HERE, AND I AM HERE, BUT SOON YOU WILL NOT BE HERE!". Prestidigitation-aura of flames. Ghost Sound"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS TAKES NO SURVIVORS. ALL YOUR WORST NIGHTMARES ARE ABOUT TO COME TRUE!". Prestidigitation-bigger aura of flames. Ghost Sound"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS IS HERE FOR YOUR SOULS!".... retrieve gate key from last guard standing.
:evillaugh 145: use ghost sound & pres to make a orb of light and then ghost sound for HEY!HEY!LISTEN!HEY!WATCH OUT!LISTEN!HEY!HEY!LISTEN!LISTEN!WATCH OUT! to drive people insane.
146. At the local tavern...3 presidigitations.. small bouncing light, glowing words, loud music... Hey, it's Karaoke time!
147. Sheath a Mage Hand in a spiked, poisoned gauntlet. Then grab the enemy's face or crotch with it. Or just poke out their eyes.
148. Use Mage Hand to manufacture and manipulate a sphere made out of balsa wood and tarp, put Lights on it for eyes, then manipulate the sphere from within using the Mage Hand while using Ghost Sound to make scary noises, simulating a bizarre spherical monster.
149. Make deafening noises with Ghost Sound
150. Mimic the noises that Starlock's Patron makes with Ghost Sound.
151. This weekend I was running my group through the "Kobold Hall" adventure in the DMG. Room 3, the kobolds swing their rock on a rope at the wizard, she catches it with her mage hand and then uses it to knock all the skulls off, ruining their game.
152. Create a small Mirror with Prest and use Mage Hand to hold it so you can look around a corner. (used in game to good effect)
153. Use a Mage Hand to issue a Challenge to the enemy by slapping in the face.
154. Use Mage Hand to deliver terms of surrender to the enemies in next room.
155. Use Mage Hand to Set off a simple trap at exactly the right time.
:evillaugh 145: use ghost sound & pres to make a orb of light and then ghost sound for HEY!HEY!LISTEN!HEY!WATCH OUT!LISTEN!HEY!HEY!LISTEN!LISTEN!WATCH OUT! to drive people insane.

NO! THE HORROR!
okay, I know we've said this one already, but it's probably the most effective idea if a dm allows it:

156: use Prestidigitation to make some very very fast acting horrible poison taste like a refreshing drink of water or wine like what was said earlier.
Evil sides
156. Push down small children
157. Burning bags of poo on doorsteps(with 158)
158. Knocking on doors and running away
159. Putting out candles at the local church
160. Create a creepy crawly in front of the skittish person
161. Eerie sounds in the outhouse when someone walks in
162. Toss an angry skunk into building
163. Mage hand to grab a torch and carry it around leaving your hands open for any reason.
164. Slap the anoyying one in your group randomly.:D if its your extreamly strong fighter and your the only mage... dont do it unless you are actuly suicidle.
165. mage hand high five other wizards.
166. put a glue like agent into the scaberd of some ones sword. When its drawn. Or something that dissolves only metal.
167. use mage hand to steal arrows from a archer then have the hand slowly float away. use ghost sound to make a whistling noice from the direction of the mage hand to get the archer to see his arrows run away.
168. Gandalf Staff Fight
You can summon your weapon back to you. Throw a dagger & then summon it back to you. Primarily you can use it to disarm & then fly it back to you. I have used it just for that. I placed my staff on the floor when the bad guys demanded surrender & then summoned it back to me too fight anew when it all went wrong.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein When the forces of stupid collide, magical things happen. And by magical, I mean ******* moronic. - Anon
109. Use mage hand, make it invisible and start goosing the hot barmaids. rawr.

Personally, I think that ruins the enjoyment of goosing the hot waitresses. I mean, you can't feel through the hand, so what's the point?

Now, do the same trick and
169. Goose the big, ugly guy at the bar when someone else walks by and see the sparks fly.

other uses-

170. Get something off the top shelf with Mage Hand. (esp. useful for halflings)

171. Use Mage Hand to defeat the arm slicing trap and get the treasure without losing an arm. (Think KOTDT)

172. Use Ghost Sound to make the sound of a woman screaming down the hall to make everyone else investigate and make your escape.

173. Use Prestidigitation to make smoke figures or rings like Gandalf did in the Fellowship of the Ring. (just for the 'coolness' factor)

174. Use Light on your fishhook to attrach fish while night fishing.

175. Use Light on a headband or circlet to make a headlamp.

176. Use Prestidigitation to make your clothes dirty to make it look like you searched the swamp or cesspool when you really didn't. (Who wants to search in a cesspool?)

177. Use Mage Hand instead to search in the cesspool from #176 for some dropped valuable item.
178) Glove your mage hand, throw it on the floor to challenge someone, then have the mage hand walk away on the floor.
144. Have the biggest party member stand upon Tensor's Floating Disk wearing robes and move the disk towards the gate. Ghost Sound to say "I AM THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS! THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS." (moving disc closer).Ghost Sound "MY MEN ARE HERE, AND I AM HERE, BUT SOON YOU WILL NOT BE HERE!". Prestidigitation-aura of flames. Ghost Sound"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS TAKES NO SURVIVORS. ALL YOUR WORST NIGHTMARES ARE ABOUT TO COME TRUE!". Prestidigitation-bigger aura of flames. Ghost Sound"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS IS HERE FOR YOUR SOULS!".... retrieve gate key from last guard standing.

Without a doubt, the best suggestion so far!
So I can be like everybody else!!! :D :D :D You are Red/Blue!
179) Use Ghost Sound from hiding to imitate the sound of a gong ringing, at a range so that it is originating from a gong. Not only will this wake the goblin guard sleeping beside it who's supposed to ring the gong in the event intruders break in, but it will confuse him as well. Continue to ding-dong-ditch the goblins like this until the reinforcements stop coming at the sound of the gong, or they kill the poor goblin who was sleeping on duty and has absolutely no idea why the gong keeps ringing on its own. Inform the party that it is now "safe" to Ghost Squad the poor guard and the two goblins playing 3-Dragon Ante on a crate in the room. Chuckle silently as you watch the party Warlord fall into the second pit-fall trap of the day.

True Story- My Eladrin Wizard did this on my first 4e session. He then went on to Fae Step behind one of the goblins and decapitate him via point-blank Magic Missile to the back of the head.

I think I'm going to like 4e Wizards... And Eladrin...
180) Use Prestidigitation to snuff out torches so you can use/maintain Stealth.

This may not be the most favored use of Prestidigitation, but it works in my party. The DM currently has us adventuring in the "best-lighted dungeon" in Faerun; if it weren't for Prestidigitation, no Stealth for rogue, ranger, and warlock.
181) Use ghost sound to lure out unsuspecting enemies.

Our DM set up a nice little trap last session in which a group of 5 bandits would ambush us when we walked into the cave. But thanks to a nat. 20 on perception our Ranger noticed them hiding.

Using the voice of one of the bandits we killed earlier I "Yelled" out "Come on out y'all, we gotz us a huge @ss haul off that last caravan." Enter a Grasping Shadows spell, action point, and scorching burst, the bandits didnt even know what hit them.
Yes, this thread has been dead for a while, but it is worth resurrecting.
I'm sure we can come up with more maniacal ways to abuse our Cantrips.
So, with no further ado:
I've seen a lot of references in this thread to Mage Hand being invisible. The power says it's a "spectral hand," so where's the idea coming from that it is (or can be made) invisible?
I've seen a lot of references in this thread to Mage Hand being invisible. The power says it's a "spectral hand," so where's the idea coming from that it is (or can be made) invisible?

Prestidigitation.
182) ruin negotiations by ghost sounding a fart coming from the party who's intent you detest, backed up with predigitation is necessary
183) join in a food fight and stay safe behind a table
184) Make people dive for cover by making sounds as if arrows or other lethal projectiles are inbound. Feel free to yell "Incoming!"
185)Use mage hand to cover the eyes of an enemy. No more line of sight for you!
Prestidigitation.

Hmmm...(*)

But if you're using your Standard action each turn to cast invisibility on the Mage Hand with Prestidigitation (it lasts only until your next turn), and you're using your Minor action to sustain Mage Hand, then all you can do is move the hand using your Move action.

You can't actually do anything with it.

So... what's the deal with that? Action Point?

(*) All this presumes that your DM agrees to include a "spectral floating hand" in the category of "small handheld objects" for purposes of Prestidigitation even working on it. Double-Hmm...
I never claimed to agree with it, but that is their concept.
We have a house rule wherein Mage Hand is just telekinesis, but that is just me and my local group.
I never claimed to agree with it, but that is their concept.
We have a house rule wherein Mage Hand is just telekinesis, but that is just me and my local group.

I think that's pretty reasonable. I'll probably house rule it that way for my own game too.

And try to convince the DM of the game I am playing in to do the same
I think that's pretty reasonable. I'll probably house rule it that way for my own game too.

And try to convince the DM of the game I am playing in to do the same

It used to be that way, back in 3.5, but 4e decided that telekinesis felt too psychic to be given to the Wizard.
186) use your mage hand and put it inside a roasted chicken and make it dance, with a good and funny choreography like Michael Jackson or MC Hammer (use ghost sound)

187) same chicken, but make it run in fastforward mode... and use benny hill music ghost sound. Everyone will laugh. EVERYONE.
188) Whenever the barb begins to rage, make him go super sayian

189) Always draw the card you want at Three Dragon Ante, palming cards has never been easier