DnD 4th Edition Character Creator

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I created a character creation program that allows someone to generate a Level 1 character.
Features include:
-Assign Ability scores
-Choose Race
-Choose Class
-Choose Diety
-Choose Trained skills (based on class/race)
-Choose Feats (based on all prerequisites)
IMAGE(http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm188/Dirhauge/CharacterGen4e.jpg)

It doesn't yet allow you to pick your Class Powers, but soon will...

Is anyone interested and are there any legal issues? You still need the PhB in order to delve into what any of the things actually do for you, so I'm not sure what is considered public and what isn't
Just remember for some reason that WotC legally owns the copyright to any Interactive Game revolved around D&D. That means things that creates characters or produces random success or fail (rolling ability scores).

I would wait until you see the GSL to go further.

WotC is being Beavis's about character creation software because they want everyone to HAVE to use their online disservices included in DDI.

Not to discourage your work. It looks great so far!

One of the cleanest GUI's I have seen in years from an application.

Not cluttered with artsy-fartsy images that sevre no purpose, but give you access to more information per page displayed in it.

Congrats!
By the look-and-feel of it, I'd guess VB.NET or C#.
C#.net is the language
Useless to me unless its in Java, as I'm on a Mac.

But you can't release it anyway for legal reasons. At least not until the GSL is out and then only if its covered by that, and in whatever manner that covers it.

But you can't release it anyway for legal reasons. At least not until the GSL is out and then only if its covered by that, and in whatever manner that covers it.

Macs don't support programs built in C?

Macs don't support programs written using Microsoft's .NET framework. Also, C# =/= C or C++.

I am working on writing one in VB6, so you should be able to run it on an Intel-based Mac using Parallels or Linux using Wine... in theory.

Macs don't support programs built in C and compiled on Windows. There are some radical differences in the way the processor handles data (though I believe they changed this with the new Intel processors). Still, the program has to be able to speak the to the hardware. Max OS X and Windows don't speak the same language.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mr. Undrhil
So Macs want to source code to compile for themselves?

So you would need tars rather than precompiled software for the OS?
So Macs want to source code to compile for themselves?

So you would need tars rather than precompiled software for the OS?

More than that - you'd need something written for Mac OS X's GUI toolkit, Cocoa, or for a cross-platform GUI toolkit like Qt or Java SWING. You'd also need to write it in a language that isn't tied to a single platform (I don't believe .NET languages have this problem, since there's Mono and Portable.NET, but VB6 is out.).
Last time I used an Apple product was to play the original Oregon Trail so.....learn something new everyday.
This would be great if it could print out character sheets and power blocks with char specific numbers!
nice...where to get? ^^

No, C# (or any other .NET program whether it's built in VB.NET, Managed C++, IronRybu, etc) should run fine on a Mac if you just download and install Mono. You can find it at: http://www.mono-project.com/
So, when will this be available for use?
I want to make sure its "legal" before I can give anyone a copy. Depending on what the GSL rules are I may have to change a few things. For instance if they say it can't include the names of feats/races/classes so on... I would be able to distribute it but you would have to populate that information yourself. Its not a big deal since its all based on XML files which are really easy to edit to put the information in. Just not sure I could give you my XML files that already have the data in them.
It would make me really sad if WotC would take legal action against something like this. That's the kind of thing TSR started doing as its end drew near, and the reason a lot of fans gave up on them.
It would make me really sad if WotC would take legal action against something like this. That's the kind of thing TSR started doing as its end drew near, and the reason a lot of fans gave up on them.

With DDI, do you expect them to do less? All the money they waster put into DDI, they want people to only pay for and use it.

They know there is money to be made from good character creation software, and other DM/PC tools. Like TSR, they just don't like that people are using their IP to make money and can make better programs than they can.

They neglect the fact that these programs are the IP of the creator and just think about the game books that they lose sales of, and the subscriptions to their poorly designed DDI tools.

It is a very fan-unfriendly thing, especially in this day and age.
Looks like the GSL has made this an impossibility. I guess we all just have to wait for the "official" character creator to be ready....
Not really. Just don't agree to the GSL.
Not really. Just don't agree to the GSL.

Yeah, if you don't agree to the GSL you're not bound by its terms (although you're still bound by regular copyright and trademark law).
With DDI, do you expect them to do less? All the money they waster put into DDI, they want people to only pay for and use it.

They know there is money to be made from good character creation software, and other DM/PC tools. Like TSR, they just don't like that people are using their IP to make money and can make better programs than they can.

They neglect the fact that these programs are the IP of the creator and just think about the game books that they lose sales of, and the subscriptions to their poorly designed DDI tools.

It is a very fan-unfriendly thing, especially in this day and age.

It's not just a matter of money. They have to protect their Intellectual Property or lose all rights to it (have to...as in it's pretty much required by law or they sink).

If you want to see a company with a ginormous trackrecord of sniping stuff that doesn't challenge their IPs just because they think it's fun/don't like other people playing with their toys go take a look at FOX.

They've been doing it for years AND they make WotC look like near-perfect beings of pure bliss-causing light by comparison (especially if you ever played the original AVP game...who ever heard about a FPS game with multiplayer and no map maker? Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.)

Honestly. WotC 's a great company. They give a LOT of great content to the communities surrounding their products. Especially D&D.

Speaking as a software developer I can understand and forgive DNDi not being ready on time. They'll have to do a lot worse before things actually get bad.
Repeat after me:
"Intellectual Property Law is not a single thing."

There are:
Patent Law
Copyright Law
Trademark law

They are all very different.

IANAL, but from what I have gathered over the years, the only one of these that requires "enforce it or lose it" is Trademark Law. Copyright and Patent Law do not require this. (You might look better in court if you have previously tried, and succeeded in enforcing your rights though...but if it gets to court, you vs. Hasbro, you've already lost)

Patent Law probably doesn't apply here.

Copyright Law does not apply to game rules. see:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html
http://www.godsmonsters.com/?ART=152

It can apply to the "expression" of the rules (actual game text, etc.), but even that can be non-copyright-able if it is "essential" to the game. (if it cannot be expressed any other way)

Trademark Law would definitely apply if you attempted to use any trademarked items (e.g. the DnD name).

Having said all that, I would still be very cautious about releasing this, as you don't actually have to be wrong to lose big in the real world. I would wait for the GSL and see if you can release it under the terms of that license, and if not, proceed from there.

Summary: You _might_ be able to release this LEGALLY, but _maybe_ not PRACTICALLY. Like I said, IANAL.
Repeat after me:
"Intellectual Property Law is not a single thing."

There are:
Patent Law
Copyright Law
Trademark law

They are all very different.

IANAL, but from what I have gathered over the years, the only one of these that requires "enforce it or lose it" is Trademark Law. Copyright and Patent Law do not require this. (You might look better in court if you have previously tried, and succeeded in enforcing your rights though...but if it gets to court, you vs. Hasbro, you've already lost)

Patent Law probably doesn't apply here.

Copyright Law does not apply to game rules. see:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html
http://www.godsmonsters.com/?ART=152

It can apply to the "expression" of the rules (actual game text, etc.), but even that can be non-copyright-able if it is "essential" to the game. (if it cannot be expressed any other way)

Trademark Law would definitely apply if you attempted to use any trademarked items (e.g. the DnD name).

Having said all that, I would still be very cautious about releasing this, as you don't actually have to be wrong to lose big in the real world. I would wait for the GSL and see if you can release it under the terms of that license, and if not, proceed from there.

Summary: You _might_ be able to release this LEGALLY, but _maybe_ not PRACTICALLY. Like I said, IANAL.

until we talked about this saturday i did not know it, on a side note you really should have come to osyes after party
You know what would be a really nice addition to American Copywrite, Trademark, Patent, and Intellectual Property Laws?
Something about having to use your material or make it available for purchase to maintain said protections.

Just a little gripe of mine.

Character Creator isn't available, but god forbid anyone else should make a version. We don't know when, or IF, they will actually put up the Character Creator. But don't you dare distribute a free-ware character creator program.
Oh lordy no!
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
Sign In to post comments