Ask a quick question, get a quick answer

2208 posts / 0 new
Last post
(As inspired by Surreal, in the CharOp forum)

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't really warrant a new thread here at the General Discussion boards (and thus in a way, hopefully reduce the clutter of redundant threads). If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rulesets, etc, then I suggest posting a new thread in the appropriate forum to get a more proper response.

All newcomers and regulars alike are welcome to ask questions, and I encourage all the GD residents to do their best to answer them.

When asking a question, preface it with a Q## where ## is the next number according to whatever the last question was.

When answering a question, preface it was A## which obviously corresponds to the question you're answering (or quote the question when appropriate).

This is a thread to ask questions about 4E D&D that don't fall under any of the other forum topics.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Q 001
Do you think anyone will use this when that can just start a new thread and ask the same question 5, 20 or 44 others have asked before?
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Answer: Apart from you? No.
What were the reasons listed by Mearls (I think) for why 4e was necessary?
Q03: I've seen several posts that refer to the RAW. What is that?
Q03: I've seen several posts that refer to the RAW. What is that?

A03: Rules as written. The exact thing as the rules are written. If a book says you can shoot an orc in the face to kill it, by RAW, you can do exactly that.
Q 04: I hear from a friend that 4th edition is actually a minis game, where you need battle grids, miniatures, and other such devices to play, and that the system is all about battle and battle abilities, and that all role playing aspects (or atleast ideas/mechanics that allowed players to role play/be creative) have been removed. Is this true?
Q 04: I hear from a friend that 4th edition is actually a minis game, where you need battle grids, miniatures, and other such devices to play, and that the system is all about battle and battle abilities, and that all role playing aspects (or atleast ideas/mechanics that allowed players to role play/be creative) have been removed. Is this true?

A04: It is untrue.

To expand on it: Playing without miniatures, grids etc. is not standard, same as in 3.x; but now a lot of powers work with pushing enemies around and shifting etc. so it might be harder to play without minis in 4e than in 3.x. Still, it can be done, and whether it's worth the trouble is up to individual opinions.

As to the "only about battle and battle abilities": there is a system called "Skill Challenges" that has nothing to do with battles and everything to do with roleplaying. Your friend might want to check it out (it's in the DMG).

Finally, I strongly recommend that you (and your friend) read the books yourself, and give the system a try before you form opinion on whether it's killed roleplay or not.
Q005: Where might I find the 4eSRD?
Q005: Where might I find the 4eSRD?

A-005:

Currently is does not exist for public viewing. It is expected to be somewhere on the D&D website this week, maybe.
Q-006: When does DnD Insider come out?
Q-006: When does DnD Insider come out?

A-006 The question may be quick but the answer is definitely not quick:P

Seriously though, DnD Insider IS out. It just has very little (of the fully promised) functionality yet.
There are some Dragon & Dungeon articles now. More of this will be added periodically & the other features (Character builder, Virtual game table etc will be added as & when they are ready.
A-006 The question may be quick but the answer is definitely not quick:P

Seriously though, DnD Insider IS out. It just has very little (of the fully promised) functionality yet.
There are some Dragon & Dungeon articles now. More of this will be added periodically & the other features (Character builder, Virtual game table etc will be added as & when they are ready.

The stated goal, at least for the mag. content is a MWF release schedule. I'm not sure if that's been stated anywhere beyond the GRZ show, though.
i looked at the fighter entry and noticed that unlike in shadowfell keep the fighter only does i die of weapon damage for his basic atack am i misreading it or was it changed at the last minute?
Do you know when the post and play forum will be back and functioning?
i looked at the fighter entry and noticed that unlike in shadowfell keep the fighter only does i die of weapon damage for his basic atack am i misreading it or was it changed at the last minute?

There are some weapons who do two dice of weapon damage (e.g. the maul)
If you use such a weapon you do two dice of damage with your basic attack. If you use a weapon which does one die, you do one die of damage.
Ceterum censeo scrinium puniceum esse delendam
The Knight Commander and Sword Marshal paragorn pathes have strange prerequisites. Proficiency with heavy armor/heavy blade

I guess they are there for multiclassing purposes, since all warlords are proficient with chain mail and martial weapons (which include heavy blades).

Am I correct?
The Knight Commander and Sword Marshal paragorn pathes have strange prerequisites. Proficiency with heavy armor/heavy blade

I guess they are there for multiclassing purposes, since all warlords are proficient with chain mail and martial weapons (which include heavy blades).

Am I correct?

Yep. the first MC feat you take opens up any PP available to that class, but some are still limited by proficiencies, for exactly this reason. See also Wizard of the Spiral Tower. It actually requires a proficiency outside of the class.
I understand that the 4e core rules boxed set comes with a slipcase. Other than that is there a difference between the set and buying the books individually? Is there some bonus content that comes with the boxed set? Thanks.
As to the "only about battle and battle abilities": there is a system called "Skill Challenges" that has nothing to do with battles and everything to do with roleplaying. Your friend might want to check it out (it's in the DMG).

(speaking of roleplay in the talking/acting it out sense):

Just a nitpick, and it doesn't really change the spirit of the answer, but the skill challenges aren't a roleplay mechanic(just as much as diplomacy isn't a roleplaying skill). They are non-combat mechanics.

Having roleplay mechanics is not truly possible. That is what alot of people aren't understanding. Roleplaying comes from verbal exchanges or gesturing in character. It is equally as possible to roleplay in any edition, or in any rpg for that matter.
Do you know when the post and play forum will be back and functioning?

It is still up and running.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Q: Has there been any oficial reason why Gnomes and Bards have been taken out of the game?
Q: Why?

Q: Has there been any oficial reason why Gnomes and Bards have been taken out of the game?
Q: Why?

Bards because they were giving the designers trouble. Gnomes because they wanted some new races, and it was decided that gnomes were one of the least played 3e core races.

Gnomes are playable out of the monster manual, and will likely get a full pc race write-up soon.

As for the bard, I heard he is done, so it is only a matter of time before he pops up.
FEY??? Gnomes go from Dwarf-kin to Fey? Are you kidding me, did the makers of 4th edition even read a D&D book beofre they made this game up?
FEY???

Yes.
Gnomes go from Dwarf-kin to Fey?

Yes.
Are you kidding me,

No.
did the makers of 4th edition even read a D&D book beofre they made this game up?

Yes.
Q7. Why was it decided that high Intelligence would no longer give bonus languages? Int has been giving language bonuses for a long time....
Q7. Why was it decided that high Intelligence would no longer give bonus languages? Int has been giving language bonuses for a long time....

I don't think it was specifically said, but looking through the books it appears they wanted to put earning extra languages into a feat and into a feat only.

I guess for the feat to be close to being on par with other similar level feats they needed to have its use not be obsoleted by something else, and also to give out a set number of languages as to be equally as useful to all characters.
I understand that the 4e core rules boxed set comes with a slipcase. Other than that is there a difference between the set and buying the books individually? Is there some bonus content that comes with the boxed set? Thanks.

Aside from a possible small discount on price, no. The case is nifty, however.

Quick Answer: No.

Long Answer
Show
Only the combat element of D&D assumes a grid and some kind of markers. Most people use a battle mat and miniatures of some kind. Like all prior editions of D&D, and like most RPGs in general, the bulk of a character's capabilities is action-oriented abilities. However, 4th Edition classes do get various utility powers that are useful outside of combat (Arcane Gate and Fly come to mind), and the wizard gets four at-will cantrips that arent particularly useful in combat at all.
However, role-playing does not mean talking or character acting: it means playing a role, and you dont have to talk at all for that sort of thing. That being said, 4th Edition does absolutely nothing to mitigate your ability to create a character, in depth, and have him or her grow both in power and personality. You can still having imaginary relationships with imaginary people, save imaginary civilizations from imaginary doom, and even in the end become an imaginary demigod...or something.
Skill challenges, in my experience, actually enhance social RP and/or character acting. Sure, the character rolls a skill check (which lets smart characters be smart and charismatic characters be charismatic), but the player can still chime in a statement, for good or ill. Its entertaining for us if a character botches to hear what they said, and the creative ways that a character comes up with for using a skill.
Yes.Yes.No.Yes.

Great, one of the most refreshing posts I have read in a forum ever

:D :D

Great, one of the most refreshing posts I have read in a forum ever

:D :D

:D

/takes a bow
Q8: I noticed there is once again little love for a crossbow Ranger in this edition of the game. Would all the double shot tricks for Ranger just not work for a crossbow wielder?

Q9: It also seems like Two Weapon fighting is a thing of the past, from what I understand having a weapon in the off hand simply grants 1 extra Damage to your main hand weapon now?

Q10: Why three kinds of Elves?

Q11: I thought they where trying to simplify things with this game, I notice a lot of the powers and spells give the player a bonus for his next action or next attack. Or they give a penalty to the target for their next action or next attack, seems like this is going to make a lot of headaches for players and DMs alike through the course of a battle. How is this type of on the spot book keeping going to speed the game up or make combat run more smoothly?

Q12: Is Utility the same as At Will?

Q13: On page 44 of the PHB there are two pictures of Halflings, the bottom halfling seems to have dark skinned human heritage, does this mean humans and halflings can breed?

Q14: I was hoping for more racial feats, as it was talked about before the books came out it seemed there would be a lot for each race. Will there most likely be more racial feats comming out in future splat books?

Q15: Fighters don't start with Prof in Plate?
Game Quote of the Week: Me: "That seems like a great idea for a character, I'm still thinking about what I want to make." Friend: "You've had your character made for the last 15 years, your going to make a dwarf ranger." Me: "I was thinking about some kind of warrior that uses nature magic, maybe a race with a close connection to earth and stone." Friend: *shakes his head*
Q8: Yes, as they're listed as load free, like long and short bows, they will work with the ranged powers of a ranger.

Q9: This really isn't a question, per say, but you do only get a +1 damage to attack is you're double weilding, unless you happen to be a ranger.

Q10: There are really only two, Eladrin and Elves. Half-elves are more human flavor and crunch-wise. And as to why, there are two basic stereotypes with elves, the woodsy ones and the noble ones. Instead of walking a weird balance, they're each unique in the PHB now.

Q11: Most of them are minor things and easy to keep track of. It isn't really a huge change.

Q12: Nope.

Q13: Pigment variation is no longer limited to just humans.

Q14: More than likely.

Q15: Nope. Paladins do, though. Fighters are defenders leaning towards strikers, while paladins lean more towards leaders. Therefore, fighters are mechanically encouraged to wear scale (their highest tier armor prof. without feats) and take no skill check penalties, while paladins are encouraged to buckle down, smile, and take the beatings offered.
Q8: I noticed there is once again little love for a crossbow Ranger in this edition of the game. Would all the double shot tricks for Ranger just not work for a crossbow wielder?

Q9: It also seems like Two Weapon fighting is a thing of the past, from what I understand having a weapon in the off hand simply grants 1 extra Damage to your main hand weapon now?

To expand on what Farmer42 said:

A08: Somewhere in the book it says that powers that grant you multiple attacks disregard load times if the weapon is supported, so if a power doesn't say it needs a load-free ranged weapon, it should work with crossbows. Also, the hand crossbow is a load-free weapon anyway.

A09: Any character that double-wields can choose which weapon to use whenever he attacks, but no "free attack". Taking the TWF feat gives you +1 damage. Being a Ranger gives you lots of double-attack opportunities. Notice there's no -4 or -2 penalties for TWFing anymore.
Thanks for clearing that up Bob
Game Quote of the Week: Me: "That seems like a great idea for a character, I'm still thinking about what I want to make." Friend: "You've had your character made for the last 15 years, your going to make a dwarf ranger." Me: "I was thinking about some kind of warrior that uses nature magic, maybe a race with a close connection to earth and stone." Friend: *shakes his head*
Q16 Ranger or Rogue?
Q16 Ranger or Rogue?

A16: Ranger multiclassed into rogue with elf using cascading blade ability at 15th level.

GRZ
Q17: Are there any good sites for creating a digital representation of a character?
Nvm
Q17: Are there any good sites for creating a digital representation of a character?

A17: Someday, there will be the D&DI Character Visualizer (and Character Builder), on free Beta for your digital representing pleasure.

Don't ask me how long it will take WotC to get it up and running though, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Q20: Why do people use so many acronyms (especially in a forum where people who are unfamiliar with the game are asking questions)?