Lizardfolk by Manyfist

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know there's one already, but I felt it wasn't really on par with that of the Player Handbook races. So I took the monsters, and put them on par with at least the Elf. Which I added a bit from that of pervious Lizardfolk Homebrew, but modified it a bit. As you would notice, two things belonging to two different races. The Poison Acclimated is the same as Cast Iron Stomach, & Swamp Walker is the same as Wild Walker. I might change the tail slap to one that shifts the target 1sq. If the knocking prone seems to be overpowering in any way.

[deck=Tail Slap]
Encounter
Minor Action Melee 1
Attack: Dex+2 vs. AC or Str+2 vs AC (Choose one, can't change afterwords), Increase to +4 at 11th level, +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 1d6 + Str or Dex Modifier, and the target is knocked prone

Increase the damage to 2d6 + Str or Dex modifier at 11th
level and 3d6 + Str or Dex Modifier at 21st level.
[/deck][/deck]

Racial Feats
[deck=Hold Breath]
Tier: Heroic
Requirements: Lizardfolk
Benefit: You may hold your breath for 10mins instead of 3mins before making a endurance check.
Special: You gain +1 to your Swim speed[/deck]
[deck=Lizardfolk Weapon Tradition]
Requirements: Lizardfolk, Claws
Benefit: +2 Damage & +2 Proficiency with Claws & Spears[/deck]
[deck=Sharp Claws]
Requirements: Lizardfolk, Claws, Lizardfolk Weapon Tradition
Benefit: Use d6s for the damage roll of your Claws instead of d4s.[/deck]
[deck=Do the Twist]
Tier: Paragon
Requirements: Lizardfolk, Tail Slap, Dex 13, Level 11+
Benefit: Upon using racial power Tail Slap you may move 1+dexterity modifier squares after the attack, if it hits. [/deck]

Edit:
Ok I changed a few things, like Swamp Walk is what it says in the MM. Tail Slap is now exactly like Gory Charge without charging. Claws no longer count as anything other than unarmed like they are meant to be. Poison Acclimated is now Swamp Bred. I figured, in a swamp there is a lot of diseases & poisonous things, like overcooked Halfling.

Please some feedback on the changes would be nice. Are they too much? Too little? Now only if Wizards would hurry up and create the Monk, I'll be happy with 4e, and maybe an official lizardfolk write up like they did with Warforged would be nice.

Edit II:
So I was thinking, of some racial feats. One would grant low-light vision, another would allow the Lizardfolk to hold their breathe for 10min before making a endurance check. Lastly for the heroic tier a feat that increases damage and proficiency with claws & spears. For Paragon tier, the racial feat would allow the damage of the claws to go up one die to d6s. For Epic, the feat would allow crit with claws on 19 or 20.

Edit III:
Three Major edits, thanks to the help of Wayside. Anyhow, I got rid of the Paragon Tier requirement for Sharp Claws, as I was told it wouldn't be often such a PC would fall back to the claws. However a Heroic Character might at lower levels when magic items are rare. Swamp Bred is switched back to what it was originally, Poison Acclimated which was +5 against Poison, and added Lizards can't get sick from drinking or swimming in swamp water. Claw Mastery is gone, and the next feat will be relating to Tail Slap. Hold Breath now adds +1 to your swim speed. Lizardfolk senses have been removed.
I don't know if it is powerful or weak (I don't know the 4E rules), but I do like this one. (I would change "target: one enemy" to "target: one creature" instead, just because I don't like the rules discriminating between targeting enemies or allies.) What I do notice, is +2 to two ability scores but no -2. Adding a level adjustment (if 4E has that) will balance it.
I don't know if it is powerful or weak (I don't know the 4E rules), but I do like this one. (I would change "target: one enemy" to "target: one creature" instead, just because I don't like the rules discriminating between targeting enemies or allies.) What I do notice, is +2 to two ability scores but no -2. Adding a level adjustment (if 4E has that) will balance it.

Well, since you don't have the books I'll fill you in on a few things. Every race has two +2s. Except for Humans which get a single +2 to any stat he or she wants. There is no LA system in 4E, its gone the way of the dinosaurs. Which is great.

Races usually go like this:

+2 Str or Dex or Con or Int or Wis or Cha, +2 Str or Dex or Con or Int or Wis or Cha (Has to be two different stats)
Size
5-6 Sqs
Normal or Low Light or Dark Vision
Common + Racial Language or Extra Language of your choice
+2 Y Skill, +2 X Skill
Racial Bonus
Racial Bonus
Racial Bonus
Racial Power

If you know of Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords of 3.5 the Racial Power works like maneuvers, usually Encounter Powers (Refreshes when Encounter is over) or at Will (Can use over and over), and I would imagine some that will be Daily (Refreshes after 6 hours of rest).

I would highly recommend you getting 4e, or at least going to your local gamestore or bookstore and look over it. Or borrow it from a friend if he has it.
The tail slap is too much imo, mainly because it's an at will power. Change it to an encounter power and have it be an immediate reaction to someone flanking it, or give it a scaling bonus to hit and damage like the dragonborn breath weapon. But definetely reduce it to an encounter power.

switch the +2 acrobatics to +2 athletics. (they need athletics to swim)

I don't like the "claws count as daggers" part or the high crit.

The swampwalk should only apply in swamplike conditions, and it applies for all movement not just shifting.

I'd be more inclined to give them +2 str +2 wis than +2 dex +2 wis
Tail Slap could be an /encounter power, if you want to keep the knocking prone part. For precedent, take a gander at the Minotaur's Goring Charge; it's the same basic idea as your Tail Slap, but it's an encounter power (it also gives bonuses to damage at Paragon and Epic, might want to keep that in mind).

By the way, cool lizardfolk. The abilities all fit together conceptually to make them "lizardfolk-y." I like the swim speed, too.
The tail slap is too much imo, mainly because it's an at will power. Change it to an encounter power and have it be an immediate reaction to someone flanking it, or give it a scaling bonus to hit and damage like the dragonborn breath weapon. But definetely reduce it to an encounter power.

switch the +2 acrobatics to +2 athletics. (they need athletics to swim)

I don't like the "claws count as daggers" part or the high crit.

The swampwalk should only apply in swamplike conditions, and it applies for all movement not just shifting.

I'd be more inclined to give them +2 str +2 wis than +2 dex +2 wis

Well I'll take out the Knocked prone part, and take out the high crit. As for Swamp Walk, I think I'll rename it to what it is in the PHB. Or think of something like that. I'll take off the "Count as dagger part", and switch it to Light Blade.

As for Athletics, they got a swim speed so they can automatically move at that speed in the water. However I may be wrong, and I'll look it up. I'll switch things around, and what not. I do agree that Swampwalk shouldn't be like the Wild walk.

As for the +2 Str, Greenscales don't look all that strong compared to that of the Blackscales. I see them more in line of the agile hunter. If I take off the Knocked Prone, you think I could get away with a 1d6+dex or str damage as a Will instead of an encounter?
The tail looks good now.

I don't think lizardfolk have a swim speed. Though it doesn't hurt to give them one.

Slap on an actual ability that states they can hold their breath for up to 10 minutes without difficulty instead of 3 (the +2 endurance isn't going to cut it though it does help against disease, it's dc 20 endurance for 1 round past 3 minutes, dc 25 for two, etc..). I would probably do endurance and athletics for the skills.

Disease doesn't have saving throws, it has endurance skill checks. Maybe bump it back up to the +5 vs poison.

I'm still biased toward the +2 str instead of +2 dex. (i think 3rd edition lizardfolk had str and con, but i like the idea of the wisdom)

My experiences with lizardfolk have been tough and strong with ambush tactics, so I can see the reasoning for the stealth, but I've never considered them dextrous.
Well, since you don't have the books I'll fill you in on a few things. Every race has two +2s. Except for Humans which get a single +2 to any stat he or she wants. .....

In that case, it is good, and I like it even more (in terms of 4E, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like 4E)
I would highly recommend you getting 4e, or at least going to your local gamestore or bookstore and look over it. Or borrow it from a friend if he has it.

I don't think I will purchase it, but I certainly would like to look at it (at a bookstore or at someone else's house). Maybe I will play 4E once, but I think I will continue to play 3.5E as well (or my own system if I ever invent one) even if I play 4E as well, also.
The tail looks good now.

I don't think lizardfolk have a swim speed. Though it doesn't hurt to give them one.

Slap on an actual ability that states they can hold their breath for up to 10 minutes without difficulty instead of 3 (the +2 endurance isn't going to cut it though it does help against disease, it's dc 20 endurance for 1 round past 3 minutes, dc 25 for two, etc..). I would probably do endurance and athletics for the skills.

Disease doesn't have saving throws, it has endurance skill checks. Maybe bump it back up to the +5 vs poison.

I'm still biased toward the +2 str instead of +2 dex. (i think 3rd edition lizardfolk had str and con, but i like the idea of the wisdom)

My experiences with lizardfolk have been tough and strong with ambush tactics, so I can see the reasoning for the stealth, but I've never considered them dextrous.

Disease targets fortitude, as does poison. So maybe on top the resist poison, +2 Fort Save vs Disease.

I was thinking about the 10min thing, and I'll make it a racial feat for the Heroic Tier.
Disease targets fortitude, as does poison. So maybe on top the resist poison, +2 Fort Save vs Disease.

I was thinking about the 10min thing, and I'll make it a racial feat for the Heroic Tier.

Fortitude is a defense not a save now, saves are just a flat 10+ on a d20 roll with no modifications.

Poison and Disease only target fortitude defense if the attack that carries it does. Ie if a rat with a disease bites you it attacks armor class, not fortitude.

Poison has a saving throw each round (10+) and disease goes by endurance skill checks.
Fortitude is a defense not a save now, saves are just a flat 10+ on a d20 roll with no modifications.

Poison and Disease only target fortitude defense if the attack that carries it does. Ie if a rat with a disease bites you it attacks armor class, not fortitude.

Poison has a saving throw each round (10+) and disease goes by endurance skill checks.

Ok, I fixed it to Poison, and also put in can't get diseases from immersing or drinking filthy swamp water. As they are from the swamps, and swim in the stuff and most likely drink it.
Edit II:
So I was thinking, of some racial feats. One would grant low-light vision, another would allow the Lizardfolk to hold their breathe for 10min before making a endurance check.

A big yes on the low-light vision feat.

I realize darkvision is probably too much (I admittedly got spoiled by 3.5 FR giving Lizardfolk darkvision), but low-light is a good compromise.
Hold breath is too situational for a feat. I would either add it to the base stat block or reduce the base swim speed to 3 and make the feat grant hold breath and a +1 swim speed.

Not sure if I like all the claw emphasis in the feats.

Hmmm...I agree. Paragon and epic Lizardfolk probably won't be falling back on claw attacks very much. Perhaps some Dex bonus feats?
Hold breath is too situational for a feat. I would either add it to the base stat block or reduce the base swim speed to 3 and make the feat grant hold breath and a +1 swim speed.

Why not let it increase without having to decrease the base swim speed?

Hold Breath & +1 Swim Speed for a total of Swim 5. As for the Claw Feats, they seem to be the only things I could come up with. As Tail Slap is good as is and doesn't need any feats to make it any better. And I figure if you don't have a weapon on you just use what you got, and why not help develop your natural weapons when they could come in handy?

Edit:

Would it be too good to reduce Sharp Claws to Heroic Tier? Then get rid of the Claw Mastery, and make two more feats one for Paragon and other for Epic?
Edit:

Would it be too good to reduce Sharp Claws to Heroic Tier? Then get rid of the Claw Mastery, and make two more feats one for Paragon and other for Epic?

Sounds good to me, but I'm a bit biased.

How about a variation on spider-climb for one of the more advanced feats?
none of the other races have epic racials or more than one paragon racial, so dropping the claw feats altogether would work out.

What about the paragon tier feat letting it use the tail slap for opportunity attacks (still only once per encounter obviously). [this may be too much]

I'm very wary of giving lizardfolk so much swim speed, since they don't normally have any. A 3 ensures they don't ever have to make swim checks but move at the same speed as everyone else, and a 4 is a nice boost, worthy of a feat, a 5 might be a bit too much.
none of the other races have epic racials or more than one paragon racial, so dropping the claw feats altogether would work out.

What about the paragon tier feat letting it use the tail slap for opportunity attacks (still only once per encounter obviously). [this may be too much]

I'm very wary of giving lizardfolk so much swim speed, since they don't normally have any. A 3 ensures they don't ever have to make swim checks but move at the same speed as everyone else, and a 4 is a nice boost, worthy of a feat, a 5 might be a bit too much.

Changed the Swim Speed to 3, and I made Sharp Claws to Heroic. I might take out Low Light vision, seeing that Dragonborn already have that. I won't be doing a Epic Feat now seeing only Playing Warforged has epic racial feat. For the Paragon feat, how about you slide 1+dex mod squares after using it?

I'll post my Lizardfolk Ranger & "Monk" soon.
I'm a big lizardfolk fan, which means I love this idea to death, but, I'm also a big lizardfolk fan, so I have bones to nitpick.

+2 dex doesn't make sense to me. Lizardfolk are described as agile, but IIRC they've never had a very high dexterity. The are sleek-looking but bulky and muscular, like alligators or crocodiles, thematically, str or con would fit better, but wis is fine, they've always been cunning.

Endurance makes sense, but I think you were better off with Athletics or Acrobatics than stealth, the tail serves as a balancing factor and a rudder, but honestly, it's a 6ft+ 200lb+ big green lizard, how stealthy do you expect it to be? I might suggest going with Endurance and Athletics, and adding a basic racial feat making them trained in Acrobatics and Steath with a +1 bonus to each (+2 if you think you can get away with it).

I think lizardfolk teeth would win over claws, have you seen their mouths? I'd give them a bite at-will power for 1d6 + str damage, and maybe claws as well if you lose the tail slap as a given power and make it a feat.

Thanks, I'll look into it and change it accordingly.

As for the bite, I think I'll stick with the claws. Mostly because they have some wicked claws, much like Iguanas. Which I consider Lizardfolk humanoid Iguanas. Although Iguanas do have a painful bite, their claws and tail are extremely painful. I'll change it to +2 Str, and +2 Athletics & Endurance those claws really do help with climbing.
I was thinking of making a lizardfolk race so it was nice to see this one here already.

I was thinking about some type of natural light armor. AC+4 (does not stack with any other armor)
Maybe a feat that makes tail slap an at will power when flanked.

I have always liked making lizardfolk characters. 1st edition I was making them. I remember an old Greyhawk character who was a lizardfolk wizard because of a reincarnation spell.

I was thinking +2 Nature and +2 Athletics. Lizardfolk were definitely +2 Wis and +2 Str. They made good druids and good fighters. They were crippled in 3rd edition with the 2 hit dice and +1 ECL (4th level as a 1st level character).
I was thinking of making a lizardfolk race so it was nice to see this one here already.

I was thinking about some type of natural light armor. AC+4 (does not stack with any other armor)
Maybe a feat that makes tail slap an at will power when flanked.

I have always liked making lizardfolk characters. 1st edition I was making them. I remember an old Greyhawk character who was a lizardfolk wizard because of a reincarnation spell.

I was thinking +2 Nature and +2 Athletics. Lizardfolk were definitely +2 Wis and +2 Str. They made good druids and good fighters. They were crippled in 3rd edition with the 2 hit dice and +1 ECL (4th level as a 1st level character).

Well, I don't see the scales on a Lizardfolk being harder than normal flesh. Warforged didn't get natural armor, and they are made out of Stone, Wood, & Metal.

I will however change the Tail Slap to a move action.
I think that the claws may be a problem. No official PC races have a natural attack in 4e (the Minotaur doesn't get a natual gore attack; it can only use it's horns in its encounter ability) which leads me to believe that the designers intentionally removed all natural attacks. This may mean that a natual claw attack would be more unbalancing than you may think at first glance.
Sign In to post comments