4E Character Sheet for Computer

174 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anybody seen a 4E character sheet that can be edited and saved via computer? I've managed to find uneditable pdf character sheets and no-save excel character sheets, but nothing that will allow me to keep digital character records.
You could edit an Excel sheet and print it to PDF couldn't you?

Sorry, I am not really checking the ones I include in the list for fuctions, just making sure they open safely, and what kind they are. That way the list is totally unbiased.

Someone was going to work on a blank sheet that you could fill-in. Maybe WotC will do it where you can save them.
I really hesitate about posting this, because it's not really ready for primetime, but you're welcome to try out the Excel worksheet I'm working on.

It doesn't print to the PDF, but it does try to mimic the D&D character sheets (although it changes the Attack and Damage workspaces).

Basically, it tries to take you step-by-step through the character generation process and highlights the fields that you need to fill out. It hasn't been tested by anyone outside of my small playing group, and it hasn't been completely populated with data (most of the feats lack pre-req information and the "card generator" needs a lot of information). I know it's going to have bugs and incorrect calculations.

Oh, and I don't know what I'm going to do for wizard spellbooks. The extra powers that they get aren't factored in right now.

Speaking of the card generator, I'm working on adding the data to allow it to print out 2.5"x3.5" cards that you could sleeve for use in your games.

Ski's4thEdCharGen

You are welcome to give it a try and comment, but I'm not really trying to make the perfect tool for the general public.
Any sheet can print to a PDF if it can print and you have a PDF printer installed. ;)

You wouldn't be able to edit the PDF, but you would have a copy of the finished product.
Any sheet can print to a PDF if it can print and you have a PDF printer installed. ;)

You wouldn't be able to edit the PDF, but you would have a copy of the finished product.

Unfortunately it's the inability to keep an evolving record that is the problem for me. I can fill in an excel sheet and print it, but if I can't save it then I have to re-enter every piece of information each time I wanted an edited character sheet.
I really hesitate about posting this, because it's not really ready for primetime, but you're welcome to try out the Excel worksheet I'm working on.

It doesn't print to the PDF, but it does try to mimic the D&D character sheets (although it changes the Attack and Damage workspaces).

Basically, it tries to take you step-by-step through the character generation process and highlights the fields that you need to fill out. It hasn't been tested by anyone outside of my small playing group, and it hasn't been completely populated with data (most of the feats lack pre-req information and the "card generator" needs a lot of information). I know it's going to have bugs and incorrect calculations.

Oh, and I don't know what I'm going to do for wizard spellbooks. The extra powers that they get aren't factored in right now.

Speaking of the card generator, I'm working on adding the data to allow it to print out 2.5"x3.5" cards that you could sleeve for use in your games.

Ski's4thEdCharGen Link

You are welcome to give it a try and comment, but I'm not really trying to make the perfect tool for the general public.

Thank you. That's very handy and just about exactly what I was looking for.

I created one character using it and only found one bug, which is that AC and saves don't automatically add the 1/2 level value to the total.

But that's a minor complaint. Overall, it's an excellent character sheet.
Thank you. That's very handy and just about exactly what I was looking for.

I created one character using it and only found one bug, which is that AC and saves don't automatically add the 1/2 level value to the total.

But that's a minor complaint. Overall, it's an excellent character sheet.

Thank you for checking it out. The missing 1/2 level was because of a bad reference. I corrected it for all the defenses.

Ski's4thEdCharGen

This is the latest version, and I apologize about the error.

Ski
This is pretty awesome work so far...loving the work you've done on this. Could you please keep the thread updated with major updates? I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thanks again!
This is pretty awesome work so far...loving the work you've done on this. Could you please keep the thread updated with major updates? I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thanks again!

Sure. Thanks for the compliment.

Like I said before, I was never planning on this being a tool for public consumption, but it doesn't really hurt me to put it out there if it helps people either.

I've uploaded version 0.2 this morning. It changes the Powers worksheet to include the Wizard spellbook and Expanded Spellbook options. I also added another printable character sheet for Wizards, giving a very basic list of the spells they have chosen.

Oh, and there's probably a few more feat and power card descriptions, but not enough to make a dent in the sheer amount of data I still have to type in.

If you have any problems at all with it, let me know.

Ski's4thEdCharGen
Not sure but I don't think armour check penalty is being applied on skills that it applies to, I equipped Chain and it didn't make any difference to the skill checks.

I'll probably be using this as a base myself and plugging in a lot of additional data as and when I need it for each character, looks relatively easy to work out what's going on
Not sure but I don't think armour check penalty is being applied on skills that it applies to, I equipped Chain and it didn't make any difference to the skill checks.

I'll probably be using this as a base myself and plugging in a lot of additional data as and when I need it for each character, looks relatively easy to work out what's going on

Fixed. My fault. Some how the formulas got deleted, most likely by a rogue cell-cleaning macro.

I re-uploaded the fix, but I didn't increment the version number (mostly because I'm in a hurry to get to lunch).

Ski
You only get con bonus at first level, don't you ?

Example page 60 Cleric

hit points at 1st level 12+con bonus
Hit points per level gained 5

the char generator is giving me con bonus per level
You only get con bonus at first level, don't you ?

Example page 60 Cleric

hit points at 1st level 12+con bonus
Hit points per level gained 5

the char generator is giving me con bonus per level

I am not sure what you mean. Here is what I did to test it:

Level 1 cleric with a CON of 15 (+2 bonus).
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 15 (CON) + 0 (level gain) = 27

Level 3 cleric with a CON of 15 (+2 bonus).
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 15 (CON) + 10 (2 * level gain of 5) = 37

Level 4 cleric with a CON of 16 (increased using +1 to ability, +3 bonus)
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 16 (CON) + 15 (3 * level gain of 5) = 43.

I believe that is correct. The only possible thing wrong would be giving the extra +1 when the CON went from 15 to 16. I think you can interpret the rules to state that you always give your CON score to your HP, not just at first level... so as your CON score increases, so does your HP. Am I wrong here?

Is there something else you think is wrong?
well here is mine... It is a typeable and saveable pdf... Enjoy... I have had over 1000 downloads withit so far and not one complaint.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1o0mnzjytb0
Sandersn!!!!

Wow!! That's a super, super worksheet. As a new player, it made it so much easier to create a character sheet.

Thank you for all that effort. I don't know enough to know whether I found a problem, though. I just know that I'm thrilled.

I will keep my eyes on this thread to see if you post updates. It's just the most amazing thing I've seen in a long while.

Thank you again.

Sherri
Sandersn!!!!

Wow!! That's a super, super worksheet. As a new player, it made it so much easier to create a character sheet.

Thank you for all that effort. I don't know enough to know whether I found a problem, though. I just know that I'm thrilled.

I will keep my eyes on this thread to see if you post updates. It's just the most amazing thing I've seen in a long while.

Thank you again.

Sherri

Well thank you for the compliment. I wasn't going to do much more with this, but I think that I'll put some more time into it.

I didn't really think it would help people that much, but if it does, then I'm willing to try to continue to improve it. If you do come up with any suggestions or comments, especially as a new player, I'd like to hear them. I'd really like to make it as new-player-friendly as possible.

Ski
The people that put together Hero Forge have always made great stuff. They already have an interactive Excell spread sheet that takes a bit of a learning curve. Once you got the hang of it, however, the design is really easy to use.

http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default4e.asp
I have been working on a PDF version of the character sheet that does some of the calculations for you. Please take a look. I still have some things that I wanna do, like make most fields read only. Enter your race, level, and ability scores to see some of the calculations in action. This is my first draft, so I welcome suggestions.

Please note that it only works in Acrobat 8.

4e Character Sheet
Sandersn

Great work! I downloaded your sheet and printed off a character in no time. I did find and correct two small errors.

First, passive insight is being calculated incorrectly. It's skill bonus is set to =Skills!AH16 but it should be =Skills!AH13.

Second, the power card for Elven Accuracy is in the data page, but it is mis-spelled (Elven Acurary) so it isn't populating.

Thanks for the effort, best CG out there right now by far, IMHO.
Sandersn

Great work! I downloaded your sheet and printed off a character in no time. I did find and correct two small errors.

First, passive insight is being calculated incorrectly. It's skill bonus is set to =Skills!AH16 but it should be =Skills!AH13.

Second, the power card for Elven Accuracy is in the data page, but it is mis-spelled (Elven Acurary) so it isn't populating.

Thanks for the effort, best CG out there right now by far, IMHO.

Wow. Thank you again. I'm really glad I decided to release this if it's helping people.

And thank you for finding those errors. I'm sure that there are little reference errors all over the place. I had to keep moving things around to get them all to fit properly and some slipped through the cracks. I'm fixing both those problems you found and doing a lot of work in populating the Data sheet.

I hope to have a new version up later today. No major improvements though, just bug and typo fixes and more data. I think my next major problem is to make sure the sheet can incorporate Paragon and Epic level advancements.
One more thought about the sheet, was that there appeared to be a lot of unused real estate on the 2nd page.
Also, for the power cards I ended up adding a small blank row or column between the cards so there would be room to cut. I also printed them out in Landscape (2 colums x 3 rows fit) so that I didn't have to narrow them down to make them fit on the page.
Really great sheets, best I´ve seen so far. I wonder if there is already a new version ?
Really great sheets, best I´ve seen so far. I wonder if there is already a new version ?

I just uploaded version 0.4. It has a few more powers, some typo fixes, and so on. Nothing major, and I still haven't worked in Paragon powers, etc.

Besides the Paragon stuff, is there anything major that people want added sooner rather than later?
These are not my sheets, just some donateware ones I use. try em out. If you like em, send those kids a dollar or something.

Excel

PDF

love,

malkav
I just uploaded version 0.4. It has a few more powers, some typo fixes, and so on. Nothing major, and I still haven't worked in Paragon powers, etc.

Besides the Paragon stuff, is there anything major that people want added sooner rather than later?

There seems to be a bug with healing surges when your character is a wizard

Changed HPandDef E7 to
=IF(Basics!E4="","",VLOOKUP(Basics!E4,Data!A12:CV19,13,0))

and that seemed to fix it
Sandersn, thanks, this sheet is great.

a lot of work in there!

thanks again!
To be honest, I find that your stats change so often that your best just either writing it out, or typing it up in word or something like that and changing it when needed.
If anything I say is wrong, clueless or spelt incorrectly, it is because, I am, in general, wrong, clueless and... Well, I'm usually spelt correctly.

I wouldn't mind you unlocking the coins and other wealth section as well...
I am not sure what you mean. Here is what I did to test it:

Level 1 cleric with a CON of 15 (+2 bonus).
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 15 (CON) + 0 (level gain) = 27

Level 3 cleric with a CON of 15 (+2 bonus).
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 15 (CON) + 10 (2 * level gain of 5) = 37

Level 4 cleric with a CON of 16 (increased using +1 to ability, +3 bonus)
Worksheet shows: 12 (class base) + 16 (CON) + 15 (3 * level gain of 5) = 43.

I believe that is correct. The only possible thing wrong would be giving the extra +1 when the CON went from 15 to 16. I think you can interpret the rules to state that you always give your CON score to your HP, not just at first level... so as your CON score increases, so does your HP. Am I wrong here?

Is there something else you think is wrong?

Nope nothing at all except me misreading a fundamental rule in the book. You did fine.

I got stuck calculating HP as 2nd edition base hp + con bonus not con stat. My fault.
Thank you for checking it out. The missing 1/2 level was because of a bad reference. I corrected it for all the defenses.

Ski's4thEdCharGen

This is the latest version, and I apologize about the error.

Ski

Hi im new to this site however I've been playing D&D for a number of years and currently we are trying out the new 4E d&D your character sheet looks great I did find and error on one of the sheets. I'm playing a wizard and your Healing surges returns an error N/A# as you'r Vlookup has an error in it.
You have the following under the HPandDef sheet under healing surges 'F7'
=IF(Basics!E4="","",VLOOKUP(Basics!E4,Data!A12:CV18,13,0))
it should be as follows to pickup the wizards data.

You may have already picked this up however I'd thought I'd point this out for you, I'm sure you have this in mind however drop down validations would be good for the various fields where specific wording is required for the auto cells to calculate their various values.

I look forward to further updates... Great job.
haunters made this sheet based on the official ones. It's pretty good.
Hi im new to this site however I've been playing D&D for a number of years and currently we are trying out the new 4E d&D your character sheet looks great I did find and error on one of the sheets. I'm playing a wizard and your Healing surges returns an error N/A# as you'r Vlookup has an error in it.
You have the following under the HPandDef sheet under healing surges 'F7'
=IF(Basics!E4="","",VLOOKUP(Basics!E4,Data!A12:CV18,13,0))
it should be as follows to pickup the wizards data.

You may have already picked this up however I'd thought I'd point this out for you, I'm sure you have this in mind however drop down validations would be good for the various fields where specific wording is required for the auto cells to calculate their various values.

I look forward to further updates... Great job.

Thank you. I fixed that error, but I guess I never uploaded the new version. Some times I get absent minded.

I still haven't done a lot of the data work on the spreadsheet, and I know that sucks because it means the ability to fill out printable cards isn't as good as it could be. It's just very time consuming and I never find enough hours in the day to get everything done.

I do continue to work on this spreadsheet though, and I'm encouraged each time someone says something about it. I'll upload my latest version right now, and maybe do some more work on it this weekend.

Thanks again.
Great job! And you did this in your spare time just to help out your gaming group?

Just to let you know, on the character sheet, for size, it keeps giving a numerical value instead of Medium/Small. At least the 0.5 version does.

Thanks again for sharing your hard work with us!
Great job! And you did this in your spare time just to help out your gaming group?

Just to let you know, on the character sheet, for size, it keeps giving a numerical value instead of Medium/Small. At least the 0.5 version does.

Thanks again for sharing your hard work with us!

I did notice that last Friday when we were playing and my Elf Ranger was size "12". I thought that was a little on the large side.

I made the fix, but wasn't sure if it was major enough to update the version number and upload a new one. I guess it would be annoying to people.

The whole story behind this spreadsheet is that a year or more ago, I -really- wanted my gaming group to play Mutants and Masterminds, but it was different and very confusing at times. To convince them the game was playable, I made a relatively complicated spreadsheet that made CharGen simpler.

So when 4E came out, it was the same situation. I really like 4E and wanted people in my group to give it a chance, so the spreadsheet makes chargen seem simpler. You still need to know what you're doing, but a person who does know combined with the spreadsheet is very helpful to people new to the game (in my opinion, at least). I learned so much from making the M&M spreadsheet that the 4E one was much faster.

I'm glad it's helping others too.
The spreadsheet has been updated. I fixed the size error on the character sheet, and I also added in the level 1 and level 2 feats for rogues and warlocks.

Ski's4thEdCharGen.xls
Unfortunately it's the inability to keep an evolving record that is the problem for me. I can fill in an excel sheet and print it, but if I can't save it then I have to re-enter every piece of information each time I wanted an edited character sheet.

You can save an excel file w/out changing the base and still have your character.

You choose the option "Save As", name it your character, and bam!, you have a character sheet that can be printed out and updated on your computer. I use one that I found on enworld, and is also available from the heroforge website.
Wonderful character sheet. Just downloaded it and started plugging things in.

I did notice an error, though.

When using dwarves, we have a racial benefit to move at normal speed and ignore armour or heavy load penalties, but but when equipping armour that reduces speed, the calculator deducts movement anyway.

--Me
Wonderful character sheet. Just downloaded it and started plugging things in.

I did notice an error, though.

When using dwarves, we have a racial benefit to move at normal speed and ignore armour or heavy load penalties, but but when equipping armour that reduces speed, the calculator deducts movement anyway.

--Me

Wow. Great catch. Thank you. I completely missed it. I fixed it and uploaded version 0.7 to the same link as above.

You guys are really helping me improve this and I appreciate it a lot.

Ski
Wow. Great catch. Thank you. I completely missed it. I fixed it and uploaded version 0.7 to the same link as above.

You guys are really helping me improve this and I appreciate it a lot.

Ski

One last thing, speaking of Dwarves. The character sheet does not include the +2 (iirc) damage bonus from "Dwarven Weapon Training" in the stats under "Weapon Attacks". My damage with a greataxe is listed as 1d12+3 (Str16), not 1d12+5.

--Me

P.S. This sheet rocks and you totally made my day. Sooooooo much easier now to create a character.
Sandersn, Thank you for all the work on this wonderfull chargen workbook. I just hope that you continue to work on it and continue to post here when you update it, so I can easily stay up to date with it.

Thanks again
Has anybody seen a 4E character sheet that can be edited and saved via computer? I've managed to find uneditable pdf character sheets and no-save excel character sheets, but nothing that will allow me to keep digital character records.

Here you can find my personal template. It is compatible with Microsoft Word 2003, 2007, and other comparable software (such as Open Office).

Here you can find dozens of ready-to-play PDF examples. Please use them when making characters to get the formating correct. Hopefully you will end up with a nice, polished character sheet when finished.

A blurry picture sample of my character sheet format is in the sblock below...

I hope that helps. :D
Useful Star Wars Saga Links
Complete Saga Index
Expanded Saga Races PDF
NPC/Encounter Requests Thread
Official Errata Thread
Official FAQ Thread

Personal Contributions: 10,000+ posts and counting!
(The current forum count is a lie!)

Check out my DeviantArt Gallery!