4e Power Card Blanks and Database

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
I put together an Excel file for my own personal use to make and fill in trading card size blanks for the character powers in 4e. After looking at all the powers in the Player's Handbook, it appears as if most of the powers are pretty consistent through most of the levels. With this in mind I decided to attach a little database to my power card blanks to create a generator so that once I enter a character's powers it will be there for any future characters.

I liked it so much that I decided to throw a few directions on it and I added to my website for all to use. I am posting it here so that you guys can use it for your own games. Please take a look and let me know if this is something you can use, and give some constructive feedback. It meets my needs but I know some other player's are more demanding.

The link is:
http://beliefsciences.com/4efiles.html

Updated file: Two formatting choices. Backup old file and database first. Databases are compatible for copy and paste.
hey thanks, these are some good work!
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
Hey, Very cool. It's good to see other designers working here to make a better D&D.

If you're interested, take a look at my stuff at www.neceros.com.

Happy gaming!
Neceros' Character Sheets
Many sheets for many systems.
Hey, Very cool. It's good to see other designers working here to make a better D&D.

If you're interested, take a look at my stuff at www.neceros.com.

Happy gaming!

Thanks for the site link neceros, I took a look at the site and like your one page character sheet.

I like to type my stuff out which is why I like Excel, that and I can automate some of the more complicated things. I have been looking to see if I could recreate a PDF character sheet that can be filled in electronically like the tax forms the IRS release, but just haven't had a lot of time lately.

It is good to see some other folks that don't mind putting some work into making a better game!

-----------------------

After some input from ENWorld and emails I have updated the files. Not big changes, added levels to the cards and a little minor typo stuff.
With the quickness the boards are moving, I am just giving this topic a daily bump so that other's who actually have their books ( what is the point of a pre-order Amazon if you don't ge enough books to cover it! ) can use the power/combat cards if they want to

BUMP.
should hire some of these people to get DDI running right and on time...

Instead of the WotC staffers that obviously have no clue of what they are doing.
Go Go daily BUMP
This is nicely done database, and allows you to print your power cards, very useful.
What I'd love to see is a database of all the powers already filled out so we can export them into text files or character sheets. It would make character creation so much faster to have all the powers ready to cut-and-paste instead of filling them in every time.

Great work with the structure, now if we can just find some OCD guy or gal to actually fill it all in.

In a few months we're going to see some awesome online character generators.
Careful, I suspect you're stepping on some copyright toes here.
Like the post above said, I specifically cannot fill the power card database out due to the whole copyright issue. But by giving a tool to the user/player that they can fill out, and never have to repeat the data again, then I should be more than fine.

I have 3 example powers to show how to fill out the table within the sheet now that I pulled from various places on the internet to try and avoid any copyright issues.

The database can be copy and pasted to, so if your gaming group fills in the data for each of their specific characters, then you can copy and past among yourselves to get a pretty good database for your personal use.

I will not be filling out the database more though due to copyrights.
I'll only continue to bump this till Friday, that should give everyone a chance to look at them, especially since they're on the sticky character sheet post now. I figure a week for comments and change requests is plenty, and further bumping beyond that will probably be annoying.

BUMP
I really like these. Easy to fill out & look nice.

About the only change I would suggest would be to add a "Sustain" field or possibly a "Miss" field, since these are fairly common now. But, your fields now are fairly generous, and I've found the amount of shorthand required to be very minimal.
I really like these. Easy to fill out & look nice.

About the only change I would suggest would be to add a "Sustain" field or possibly a "Miss" field, since these are fairly common now. But, your fields now are fairly generous, and I've found the amount of shorthand required to be very minimal.

I had given thought to having sustains and miss fields, but I was running out of room on the cards if I wanted to keep everything legible and on a trading card size piece of card stock. I guess I could shrink the border around the cards and all, but I had decided that the effect/description field being fairly large would take care of any other fields not on the card.

Thanks for the suggestion, and of course BUMP.
While these are handy and easy to use I can't help but be one kind of DM who likes the formatting within the book... I've made a PSD file for creating cards but I'm not sure of the best way to provide it for those with GIMP/Photoshop knowledge, any ideas?

It is basically reliant on the DM generating the card once and saving a flattened file to a folder or the document itself as and when he needs them... with an A4 dotted sheet file he/she can put them together for a print run.

By way of an example, I've been making 'Build Packs' ready for play which provide an easy way to give a level 1 character most or all the powers/exploits they need.

Something like this:
IMAGE(http://www.bunker58.co.uk/eg_buildsht.png)
damn sexy!

that... and..

i don't suppose there's a way to auto enable the color borders to change, I figured out (easily enough) how to make other types of powers, Daily/Encounter/At Will... but in looking for a way to mark them as utilty powers as well just for better clarity, i can seem to find a way to change the colors to auto fill in red green and black based on my new power types.
i don't suppose there's a way to auto enable the color borders to change, I figured out (easily enough) how to make other types of powers, Daily/Encounter/At Will... but in looking for a way to mark them as utilty powers as well just for better clarity, i can seem to find a way to change the colors to auto fill in red green and black based on my new power types.

It is within the macro code that autofills the different colors, so if you want it to autocolor the cards you have to enable macros on the file.

I am still waiting on Amazon to deliver my books so I do not know what color utility powers are. I was under the impression from the information I was able to dig up that all encounter powers boiled down to at will, encounter, and daily anyway, so I just assumed the cards could be setup with just the 3 colors already present.

If somebody can tell me what color they would like utility cards to be, it is an easy enough fix and I can have a new file up fairly quick. I use visual basic for applications and Excel to develop the analytical models I use at work, so additional automation and requests generally aren't too difficult. I haven't had a chance to play yet, so I am counting on you guys to tell me how to improve these for your needs.

Thanks for the comments so far.
Utility powers follow the same timing rules as Attack powers, and have the same colors to them in the PHB.
Utility powers follow the same timing rules as Attack powers, and have the same colors to them in the PHB.

Thanks for that confirmation. I should have my books in a couple more days, since Amazon finally shipped mine yesterday.
While these are handy and easy to use I can't help but be one kind of DM who likes the formatting within the book... I've made a PSD file for creating cards but I'm not sure of the best way to provide it for those with GIMP/Photoshop knowledge, any ideas?

It is basically reliant on the DM generating the card once and saving a flattened file to a folder or the document itself as and when he needs them... with an A4 dotted sheet file he/she can put them together for a print run.

By way of an example, I've been making 'Build Packs' ready for play which provide an easy way to give a level 1 character most or all the powers/exploits they need.

Something like this:
IMAGE(http://www.bunker58.co.uk/eg_buildsht.png)

Those look hot, just like they do in the PHB, anyway we could get a template?
Those look hot, just like they do in the PHB, anyway we could get a template?

I still don't have the PHB, and won't until tommorrow or so, but I could add another "renewed" sheet to the Excel file that uses the format pictured above, but until I get my own PHB to model I would only do so with Taulphin's permission. I don't like using someone else's work without permission.

I would of course tie it to the same database so that you could choose the format you want without having to retype all the powers for each format. I'll look into this suggestion in the meantime.
If it improves peoples general DM experience my permission is always there. Not wholly sure it would be mine to give since I'm just echoing the PHB layout because it feels better to have power cards look the same.

I'll finish off the PSD file completely in a few minutes and upload it for use. I printed a test sheet and have modified a few of the fonts for clarity but they read well and leave enough room for players/DMs to make notes during the course of a game.
If it improves peoples general DM experience my permission is always there. Not wholly sure it would be mine to give since I'm just echoing the PHB layout because it feels better to have power cards look the same.

I'll finish off the PSD file completely in a few minutes and upload it for use.

That's good to know. I ask for permission because I have nothing to model since Amazon dropped the ball on my pre-order. If I am gonna use a picture to model than I just feel better knowing you're ok with it. That said, if the PHB power cards look pretty much the same, then I do agree that a standardish format is probably a good idea.

I'll see what I can do to add another page.
The only real difference would be the header backgrounds, I went for a curvey corners instead and that was more a tiny aesthetic change.

DnD43_PowerTemplate.zip
The zip is around 765kb (The size/quality of the internal PSD files is aimed towards printing) and contains a .psd for power creation and a print sheet. In general you can get 8 to a print sheet... more if you reduce the size of the powers.

Apologies, simply uploaded it without bells or whistles... I've tried to arrange/organise it as best I could for someone to modify it easily to suit all manner of powers. In general you can make all the cards with simple copy&paste, movement and text editing skills. If you spot a way to improve the original file then I'm more than happy to update it.

Utility Template - Either use the 'Daily' Template or use the Utility one which sports a very dark blue to make it stand-out amongst the other cards during a gaming session.
I have updated the Excel power card file to now include 2 power card formats. One is the format similar to the Player Handbook and Taulphin's power cards, and the other is the old one. You setup the power cards you want to print on the Renewed page, or RenewPHB page depending on which format you prefer.

They tie to the same database, so any information you have already entered can be copied and pasted into the new file database. I can't change the link on my webpage from work so I uploaded the new file under the old name so the link would still work, so make sure to BACKUP your old file first or any data you entered will be overwritten with the new file.
Oh, brilliant... I'll take a look now, will make it a hell of a lot easier for people to churn out the cards they need.
Bump
I finally got my Core books in! I'll be reading them this weekend and if I see anything obvious to add to my power cards I'll keep you guys updated.

BUMP
Nice, think mine will finally get here Tuesday the 16th.

giggity giggity goo
Aw, what the heck. I'll bump again just for kicks and giggles. Maybe the weekend folks haven't seen this post to comment yet. :-)
Now that I have my books, this database is just that much more useful now. If you haven't checked it out you should.
Love the Power Cards guys! Now if my books would just arrive...
BUMP
Over at enworld a fellow by the name of andros has posted a pdf that contains all 700+ powers in powercard form. It's in the homebrew section.

Worth a look/download.