Mul race

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mul_(fantasy_race)
Ignore the setting fluff, adding my own. Just the idea of human/dwarf.

In my upcoming campaign setting for 4e, I need to let players choose to play a Mul. That said I haven't designed a race for 4e before, what with it not being out yet. I'm pseudo reserving the thread for my racial traits and fluff stuff, along with looking for some advice on a direction to tak it.

Currently I am looking at something along the lines of +2 con and the ability to take human and dwarven feats.

Anyway, I will add more after I write it, but for now I am just surfing for ideas.

-----
Final In use Version
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 to any one Ability Score
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance
Bonus Skill: You gain training in one additional skill from your class list at first level.
Dwarven Resilience: You can use your second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.
Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either Dwarf or Human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for half-dwarves if any are created), as long as you meet any other requirements.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

This does go in the house rules forum.. i think... the new organization scheme confuses me.

Mul is one of my favorite old races. I would look at the Half-Elf for some of the dual heritage type ideas... and for balancing things.

To go with the classic Darksun feel to the race, I'd think something like

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution - Bringing together the stout build of the dwarf (that gives them the con bonus and encumbered movement) with the adaptability of the human is kind of like breeding work-horses.

Dual Heritage - seems a good thing for half-races

I'd give a +2 endurance and +2 athletics - helps to represent the ability that the Mul used to have to do light activities such as walking and talking for a number of days equal to their Constitution score before resting, and for working hard labor longer.

I don't know if the race would need anything other than that, or if anything else (or something already there) would be unbalancing.

Maybe give them encumbered movement as well?

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

This does go in the house rules forum.. i think... the new organization scheme confuses me.

Mul is one of my favorite old races. I would look at the Half-Elf for some of the dual heritage type ideas... and for balancing things.

To go with the classic Darksun feel to the race, I'd think something like

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution - Bringing together the stout build of the dwarf (that gives them the con bonus and encumbered movement) with the adaptability of the human is kind of like breeding work-horses.

Dual Heritage - seems a good thing for half-races

I'd give a +2 endurance and +2 athletics - helps to represent the ability that the Mul used to have to do light activities such as walking and talking for a number of days equal to their Constitution score before resting, and for working hard labor longer.

I don't know if the race would need anything other than that, or if anything else (or something already there) would be unbalancing.

Maybe give them encumbered movement as well?

Yes if I remember well
They had +2 ins strength and +2 in const
As well they had the ability to live without water for cons day.
Not to mention that they are sterile

Endurance and athletics are the skill I would have gone for as well.
phil
what about a per encounter racial power that would allow them to resist damage from 1 attack and have it go up on resistace to damage to represent thier ability to withstand so much more abuse and neglect than any other race.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

what about a per encounter racial power that would allow them to resist damage from 1 attack and have it go up on resistace to damage to represent thier ability to withstand so much more abuse and neglect than any other race.

that has the potential to be very unbalancing... but something like adding 1-2 extra healing surges (like giving them the durable feat for free) would represent the same type of thing and is already pretty well balanced within the system.

I'm having trouble coming up with a limited use racial power that would fit and not tip the balance scale to far.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

from what i see when looking at all the races and comparing them is that the only thing that is diffrent about this race is the fact that it increasses 2 physical stats and it does not have a racial power. however I could see more healing surges per day or just add more dwarfy things or more human things (I do not mean it plurally I just mean that when comparing them all the only diffrences are these and so it needs something to make it feel like a mul(how do you pronounce that anyways?)).

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

from what i see when looking at all the races and comparing them is that the only thing that is diffrent about this race is the fact that it increasses 2 physical stats and it does not have a racial power. however I could see more healing surges per day or just add more dwarfy things or more human things (I do not mean it plurally I just mean that when comparing them all the only diffrences are these and so it needs something to make it feel like a mul(how do you pronounce that anyways?)).

I believe it pronounced like Mule, because well.. that's what they are, a sterile cross-breed.

you are right, it does need something that makes it feel more unique... I'm going to dig out and read through my old Darksun books to see if I can come up with something.. then try and make sure it's around the same balance as Orcs and Minotaurs in the back of the Monster Manual.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 6.
Vision: Low-light.

Languages: Common, Dwarven.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance.
Stalwart Defense: Once per encounter you may select one of two options. First, you may gain a resistance of one-half your level plus your Constitution modifier against a single attack as an interupt action, allowing you to reactively resist damage. Second, you may instead gain a racial saving throw bonus equal to your Constitution modifier against any single type of attack from the following list for the duration of the encounter or five minutes, whichever is less: Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Poison, Psychic, or Thunder. It takes a minor action to brace and prepare yourself for the second use of this power.
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either dwarf or human as a prerequisite.
Bonus Feat: You may select one of the following feats as a bonus racial feat at 1st-level if you qualify for it: Durable, Dwarven Weapon Training, Fast Runner, Human Preseverance, Jack of All Trades, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Skill Focus (Athletics or Endurance only), or Toughness.

The bonus feat gives them some of the versatility of their human half while staying focused enough to represent their typical upbringing and inherent toughness. Stalwart Defense may be a bit too powerful as an encounter ability, but I'd have to test it to make sure. If it were deemed to be so, I'd simply make it a daily power instead. It seems fine on the surface to me, though, and does a great job of showing how well they can endure hardships while still leaving them vulnerable to a few types of attacks.

It's where I'd start at least. It's diverse enough to represent being half-human and tough enough to live up to the Mul reputation.
I like the feedback so far guys, its helping me flesh everything out.

Keep in mind that I am taking the concept and name from darksun but not their racial history and such.

Here is my rough draft as of now.

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution,
Vision: Low-ligh
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance

Dwarven Resilience: You can use your second wind as
a minor action instead of a standard action.
Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed
even when it would normally be reduced by armor
or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such
as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you
normally.
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either dwarf
or human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically
for half-dwarves), as long as you meet any other
requirements.
Bonus Skill: You gain training in one additional skill
Bonus At-Will Power: You know one extra at-will
power from your class.

Which i think helps keep the dwarven resiliance, and the human versatility. Keeping in mind in this setting the Mul is an outcast of dwarven society, and probably loosely accepted in human society. Meaning they would almost exclusivly be raised by the versitile humans, while keeping the physical traits of a dwarf.

They are almost as versitile as humans, and almost as hardy as dwarves, and so long as this is on power it is probably what I will run with. If underpowered I think I would add in second wind as a minor action from dwarves.

Also I'd like to keep it simple, and Arrgh while yours might work it is a little complex for my tastes.

ALso it is pronounced Mule, i think.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

I like it krusk.

It looks balanced (enough) to me at the moment, but i'd suggest some heavy play testing before finalizing that.

When I make up my own Mul race, I'm giving them a Strength bonus since the Darksun stats put them at +2 STR, +1 Con, -1 INT, -2 Cha.

Thanks for the tip about playtesting.

A note about anything i ever make homebrew is that it is never out of playtest stage. I present a copy, and we play with it, and then at the end of every session we evaluate how it went. If it was too weak we brainstorm on how to power it up, and vice versa. We also do this for anything in the main books.

Then if we ever come up with a real solution from our brainstorms we try to impliment it in as unobtrusive manner as we can, whether it be immediate changes, or the next time anyone does this it works like X.

ooooo, nice. I was thinking of trying to do this -- you beat me to it. I really hope they do a 4e dark sun

I'd put this thread under "monsters - playable or slayable"
Mul
Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'0"-6'0"
Average Weight: 180-250 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Vision: Normal

Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Dual Herritage: You can take feats that have either dwarf or human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for muls), as long as you meet any other requirements.
Stubborn: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Will defense.
Rugged: You can use rugged as an encounter power.

Rugged Mul Racial Power
You shrug off the blow as you press onward toward your goal.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: Reduce the damage from the attack by your Constitution modifier + one-half your level.

That's how I would go about it. Since both of the mul's stat bumps are in the same defense they need a hand with a second defense, so stubborn pops in. (This also is fitting when you think of real-life mules.) Rugged lets them be tough without being too powerful.

Mul Delver [Mul]
Prerequisiste: Mul
Benefit: You gain low-light vision.
You gain a +1 feat bonus to Dungeoneering checks.
Mul
Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'0"-6'0"
Average Weight: 180-250 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Vision: Normal

Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Dual Herritage: You can take feats that have either dwarf or human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for muls), as long as you meet any other requirements.
Stubborn: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Will defense.
Rugged: You can use rugged as an encounter power.

Rugged Mul Racial Power
You shrug off the blow as you press onward toward your goal.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: Reduce the damage from the attack by your Constitution modifier + one-half your level.

That's how I would go about it. Since both of the mul's stat bumps are in the same defense they need a hand with a second defense, so stubborn pops in. (This also is fitting when you think of real-life mules.) Rugged lets them be tough without being too powerful.

Mul Delver [Mul]
Prerequisiste: Mul
Benefit: You gain low-light vision.
You gain a +1 feat bonus to Dungeoneering checks.

I like this very much. Stubborn not only fits in, but is staple for the traditional Muls.