Making your own minions?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am wondering if there are rules for making your own minions out of existing monsters in the MM.

All I can find is a guideline suggesting that 4 minions equal a normal monster of that lv.

Just curious if we may be facing balor minions some time down the road...:P
There are several creatures whose minion versions seem to have been deleted for space reasons. Gnolls for example. No minions.

I think to make a minion you would just take the most basic version of a monster and give him a single hit point.

This wouldn't work with Balrogs. Not only would that be, um, silly, but Balrogs have a lot of different sort of attacks because they're intended to be around for, say, 6-10 rounds. Now, giving him just 1 hit point actually makes him a lot weaker than the normal minion, because normal minions just have a couple of different attack types; they don't need more, they're not built to last. A lot of the balrog's power and therefore XP is premised on him being able to bring a variety of different attacks to bear, which he can't do if he has only 1 hit point.

Not sure what the upper limit on minion monsters is... but surely Balrogs can't be minions. Giants can be minions, I guess, against a high enough level party. But they're not statted for minion versions either.
Oh, and, um, you really can't turn elite or solo monsters (like balrogs) into minions, only standard monsters.
Okay, maybe the balor was a very bad example. This is what I get for trying to pluck an example out of thin air.:embarrass

What monsters do you think would work well as minions? Are there some guidelines as to what one might want to look out for in a minion? You raised a very good point in that since a minion will likely stick around for 1-2 rounds max, it would ideally be able to deal significant damage in that short period of time so that they can still make their presence felt, rather than simply being some sort of glorified doorstop. Maybe some sort of encounter power so that they can go nova and quickly deplete their arsenal before biting the dust?
I am wondering if there are rules for making your own minions out of existing monsters in the MM.

All I can find is a guideline suggesting that 4 minions equal a normal monster of that lv.

Just curious if we may be facing balor minions some time down the road...:P

Curiously enough, there are monster creation rules, and these detail how to make elites and solos, but there is nothing on creating minions.

I guess you'll have to buy the DMG2 for rules on that and creating magic items.

It's not just giving the monster 1hp either. Minions do exact amounts of damage (non-random). Is it average damage? A quarter of max? A quarter of average? Who knows, we can't create them!

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

In KotS, a Kobold Minion wields a spear in melee.

A spear does 1d8 damage.

A Kobold has an 8 (-1) strength.

The damage range of a Kobold Minion using a spear would be 1-7, or an average of 3.5.

Kobold Minions, as printed, deal 4 damage a hit, which is 3.5 rounded up.

I hereby deduce that Minions deal average damage for their form of attack.
I think there is a lack of how to make your own minions, because there are a ton as-is. Sure, there are no gnoll minions, but it's very reasonable that they brow-beat some hobgoblins into service. Or orcs.

Some monsters have minions of levels so much lower than the standard counterparts, they're obviously (to me at least) designed to be used in conjunction with other monster types. Having TEAM GNOLL and then an encounter with TEAM ZOMBIES and then TEAM ORCS seems boring to me.

Mix and match!
HP: 1
Take away ALL the abilities that require tracking something (encounter, recharged)
Take away ALL abilities that revolve around being bloodied
Basic attack damage: I'd say 1/4 of the average damage for a monster you're making them out of.
Give them 1 ability that mimics something cool the original monster can do, ideally based only on the board, and based on working well in groups.
Dungeon Master Guide 2 - page 134

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Dungeon Master Guide 2 - page 134

Thread Necro - Page 1
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
@Matyr
That was my girlfriend dearest reminding me that I own a copy of Dungeon Master II. After of course smacking me with it preventively Embarassed.
That is called a Critical Fail. Anyway thank you very much, mate!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

In my DMG2 it's page 133. I think I'll make some that do double damage.