Art Previews

390 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't really know where this thread should go, but the Monsters section seems like a good place.

What do you all think of the art previews so far?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/artpreview

I wasn't too impressed with the first art with the Cambions. But, the others so far seem pretty good. I like today's art of the various devils.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080417_114734_0.jpg
You're right, the cambion art is a little off, but my main gripe is with the blood fiend. I'm really not liking this comic-style art that keeps cropping up in 4e. The blood fiend looks like something you'd see in an episode of that Batman Beyond cartoon. My D&D games are novels, not comic books.
The Cambions remind me of the Fey'ri from Forgotten Realms... Beautiful yet unmistakably evil. ...and now that i just read the descriptions, I see no need to bring the Half Fiend back and this pretty much replaces it on a PC level. (yes the templates allowed you to make half fiend monsters, but as far as PC purposes if this race has a write up, it could very will be the only half fiend race needed.)
What do you all think of the art previews so far?

So far I think the 4e art is a bit gaudy, but D&D has certainly had worse in the past.

Jay
My D&D games are novels, not comic books.

Really? Mine are games.
I keep hearing people use this term "comic bookish" and as a person who actually reads a good deal of comic books, I can tell you that none of artist in the industry today draw or imagine fictional monsters quite like this.
I like it all so far.
I wouldn't have minded a different angle on the Blood Fiend, but I don't think the artwork is bad by any means.
You're right, the cambion art is a little off, but my main gripe is with the blood fiend. I'm really not liking this comic-style art that keeps cropping up in 4e. The blood fiend looks like something you'd see in an episode of that Batman Beyond cartoon. My D&D games are novels, not comic books.

I've only seen a few episodes of Batman Beyond, but I can say that the blood fiend has too many round lines and too much detail to be in that cartoon.

Second, most novels lack art, so what does "my D&D games are novels" even mean?

Third, if this art were actually in a comic book style, the blood fiend would be wearing a pair of spandex shorts that contrast his skin tone and would be fighting the Incredible Hulk.

If you are going to say things that seem like you are trying to insult the art style, using more reasonable examples would be suggested.

4th. I like all of the art I've seen so far.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

I've only seen a few episodes of Batman Beyond, but I can say that the blood fiend has too many round lines and too much detail to be in that cartoon.

Second, most novels lack art, so what does "my D&D games are novels" even mean?

Third, if this art were actually in a comic book style, the blood fiend would be wearing a pair of spandex shorts that contrast his skin tone and would be fighting the Incredible Hulk.

If you are going to say things that seem like you are trying to insult the art style, using more reasonable examples would be suggested.

4th. I like all of the art I've seen so far.

And, if it were comic book art, then the female Cambion would have had gigantic hooters...I guess that's probably another reason to not like that picture.
Ok so maybe Batman Beyond is a bad example; it was the first comic-based cartoon I could think of. I'm not really sure why the art feels like a comic to me, but it does. If "comic" isn't the right word, something is still off about it. That's just my personal opinion, though. I'll get over it.

When I said "my D&D games are novels" I meant that I prefer them to play out like novels with lots of interesting narrative instead of just snap-shots of the action which is more like a comic. It's a straw-man of comics, but it seems to work for the point I'm trying to make.

I guess I just don't like the spacial exaggeration seen in art like the blood fiend and the 4e core book covers. That being said, the art is vastly better than lots of what we've seen in previous editions.

Cheers

Kyle
I'd really have to disagree with you there, by 'spacial exaggeration' I assume you mean foreshortening- which is to say, parts of the body that are closer to the viewer are larger than the ones that are farther away, which creates a since of space and three dimensionality to the piece, and its a technique I'd love to perfect one day, as my drawings tend to look 2-d. (Need to work on my shading for that to...)

*cough* anyway, my point is that I think the art at the beginning of this edition is far better than that at the beginning of 3.5.

That said, I think my favorite so far has been the Cambion picture. But thats... probably because the male is overtly gothic :D
The Terrasque is back.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080418_114693_0.jpg

I'm not really crazy about this picture either. I think they could have done more to show how enormous he is. They have his tail knocking over some pillars. But, it's hard to tell how big those pillars are. I think the picture just needs some villagers running away. Maybe they could be yelling something like, "Gajira! Gajira!"

What do you all think?
He does look like Godzilla.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I think thats the point. I'm only working from hearsay and colloquial stories, but IIRC the terrasque was added to D&D as a sort of fantasy gojirra.
I'd really have to disagree with you there, by 'spacial exaggeration' I assume you mean foreshortening- which is to say, parts of the body that are closer to the viewer are larger than the ones that are farther away, which creates a since of space and three dimensionality to the piece, and its a technique I'd love to perfect one day, as my drawings tend to look 2-d. (Need to work on my shading for that to...)

No that's not what I mean, since that would make sense if it's appropriately proportioned. This is just a personal preference of mine, so I don't really see the point in debating it.

Ciao
I'd really have to disagree with you there, by 'spacial exaggeration' I assume you mean foreshortening- which is to say, parts of the body that are closer to the viewer are larger than the ones that are farther away,

Just a note: Foreshortening and Perspective are different things. Foreshortening is the effect that things, as they get closer get less bigger, so that the front few inches of an arm may appear to be shorter than the next few inches.
This is just a personal preference of mine, so I don't really see the point in debating it.

Really? Darn, cause I was totally going to like, get into a giant flame war with you over nitpicky art stuff. Oh well. I'll go play rock paper scissors with myself instead.

;)
Now we have Efreet!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080421_114756_123asd_0.jpg

I like the two guys on the right. But that guy on the left (a warcaster I assume) has a silly look on his face. What do you think?
I like the two guys on the right. But that guy on the left (a warcaster I assume) has a silly look on his face. What do you think?

I think the one on the left is female.

That would explain why efreet are always so angry...
The one on the right's sword guard seems backwards from the blade. Unless his scimitar is supposed to be more like a khopesh or kukri.

She's hawt! ;)

But yeah, I like these, too, and the Tarrasque. Maybe I am just not very picky, though, since I am such a poor artist myself. I hate to be overly critical, because it is all so much better than anything I could do.

And the guard is backwards, if you mean that it is pointing up instead of down like the one in the center.
She's hawt! ;)

you are a bad person. :heehee

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Here's the githzerai art is up.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080422_114778_098lkj_0.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. This might be my favorite piece so far. The art looks good and the characters have a lot more emotion to them.
The Terrasque is back.

I think they could have done more to show how enormous he is.

Pan your eyes left and then down.

Under the tail and above the for-claw, there is a door.

Doors give scale right?
The art style seems to clash with the rest we've seen so far, but maybe that's just me. For some reason, it looks like a relatively outdated video game graphic to me.
I speculate the Githzerai will have a PC write up as well.

I think it looks pretty good. This might be my favorite piece so far. The art looks good and the characters have a lot more emotion to them.

That's really good art. I actually think it beats the Tarrasque's art, and that piece drove me insane and made me actually start a thread for the sole purpose of praising it.
I am a little surprised to see the githzerai.
I knew we were getting githyanki, but thought that they may have written the githzerai out.
I wonder if they are going to live in the elemental chaos since there is no more limbo.
I am a little surprised to see the githzerai.
I knew we were getting githyanki, but thought that they may have written the githzerai out.
I wonder if they are going to live in the elemental chaos since there is no more limbo.

I kind of assumed that both races would be in the Far Realms.

I think so, since the Elemental Chaos is basically Limbo. It would also fit because Githzerai and Githyanki are usually spoken of as opposites (even though they aren't), so making the Elemental Chaos the Githzerai's home plane would highlight that difference. I'm assuming that the Githyanki would live on the Astral Sea for the purpose of this post.
I dunno... I could see both living on the Astral Sea, each could have their own Dominions/bodies of Dead Gods and their own Astral Vessels.

I think it be interesting to see various Dominions that are like massive docking-cities for Astral Vessels being constantly under sway from either side to join them against the other. We could even see guerrilla warfare and various other conflicts erupt on Dominions between them.

Or we could see massive Astral Vessel warfare and various pirate-groups raiding eachother.
I knew better when I made the first post, but if I have to have an excuse I will say that four hours of sleep doesn't go as far as it used to.
In W&M they mention a Githzerai monastery in the elemental chaos. Of course the Githzerai are going there. I mean, if it's good enough for the Slaads...

I too think this might be my favorite art preview to date. I really like the stylings.
He who should not speak...
Here is the Rakshasa Assassin art:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080423_114844_456vbn_0.jpg

This looks pretty good too. At first I thought they screwed up the hands. But, then I remembered that their hands are already screwed up...
Yeah, I was looking at the hands trying to figure out if they were done normally and the Rakshasa had just turned it's wrists, or if the hands were "backwards".
I like the art previews as well. Since, we've already seen several examples of devils...how about some demons? I'd also like to see a few dragons. What would everybody else like to see?
I like the art previews as well. Since, we've already seen several examples of devils...how about some demons? I'd also like to see a few dragons. What would everybody else like to see?

Aberrations give me nightmares. So let's see more of those! :D

But, I'd also like to see more of the 'standard' DnD races like orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, etc.
Giants. I want to see what the new giants look like.
I'm assuming that the Githyanki would live on the Astral Sea for the purpose of this post.

That was too easy to guess:
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080424_114777_765fds_0.jpg)
Born out of slavery, the Githyanki are fierce psychic warriors that ply the Astral Sea and fight with silver swords.

... But it doesn't make me any less of a winner!
Well got to say if they keep up this level of art, the MM is going to be really, really pretty to look at.