Elf/Eladrin Physical Differences

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I love both the new Elf and Eladrin.

However, in my mind's-eye I am having a problem distinguishing them physically from each other.

What is the PHYSICAL differences between them?
For Example:
-Elf Wizard vs Eladrin Wizard
-Elf Paladin vs Eladrin Paladin
That depends mainly on clothing, fashion and demeanor.

Elves are more like Druids (as a race), living in tune with nature, more primal. (Maybe the wizard dresses in green practical traveling clothes and has blue facepaintings and a spellbook made of bark and leaves.)

Eladrin are more like feys, not quite of this world, they are a bit like the elves from the Lord of the Rings movies, wearing fine clothes, exotic forms of armor etc.

They would have no problems to pose as one another given proper time to adapt.;)
Yeah they could pass for each other, romulans and vulcans were doing it all the time in ST:TNG to spy on each other
That depends mainly on clothing, fashion and demeanor.

Elves are more like Druids (as a race), living in tune with nature, more primal. (Maybe the wizard dresses in green practical traveling clothes and has blue facepaintings and a spellbook made of bark and leaves.)

Eladrin are more like feys, not quite of this world, they are a bit like the elves from the Lord of the Rings movies, wearing fine clothes, exotic forms of armor etc.

They would have no problems to pose as one another given proper time to adapt.;)

i think he's got it right. even in the movies, you can see a huge difference between some of the elves, like Galadriel and her king (can't remember his name) and even Elrond who are more "otherworldly" and really define the "high elf" concept than say Legolas, who's probably the poster child for a wood elf (cept maybe the blonde locks)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
i dunno - think they should be more physically different some how...

Maybe Eladrin have:
-Metalic colorings and features
-antlers (very feyish)
-...maybe taller then the average Elf
- Hairless faces (no eyebrows or eyelashes)
-Longer ears
-Violet Eyes

These are all things I *could* houserule, but I'd like to see something in the book that really sets them apart physically somehow.

P.S. Elrond was Half-Elven
I think that the Elf may be more tanned of skin, hair colors of black, browns, yellows and greens, while Eladrin are paler with hair colors ranging from platinum, blue, gold and copper. Here is a picture from Races & Classes:
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/111144.jpg) How'd that Drow get in there?

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Haha! Sneaky Drow...

I heard that in the new 4e setting, Elves, Eladrin, and Drow are all split from the same root in the Feywild. So they're physically similar, though slightly different and also have different natural abilities.

The way I imagine it is the difference between Legolas and Elrond, still very graceful but Legolas is a bit woodsier and Elrond more surrounded by metals and silks and such.
I like the idea of having Elves, Eladrin, and Drow (instead of 6 different kinds of elves, 3 kinds of dwarves, 3 kinds of gnomes, x numbr of halflings (or whatever the number actually were)). Give each one their own full entry.

Eledrin are the old high elves
Elves are the old wild elves
Drow... leave alone, or they'll take revenge on you later

I was always a bit jealous of the other races, they were so adaptable (elves = high, wood, wild, gray, drow; dwarves = hill, mountain, deep; etc.). Humans should have received the same... Normal-folk, Hill-billies, Southerners, and for the evil unscrupulous variety... politicians.
I think that the Elf may be more tanned of skin, hair colors of black, browns, yellows and greens, while Eladrin are paler with hair colors ranging from platinum, blue, gold and copper. Here is a picture from Races & Classes:
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/111144.jpg) How'd that Drow get in there?

Bel

Is there a source for your pic?? BIGGER??
yeah the new fluff sounds good. Id say they do look very similiar.
P.S. Elrond was Half-Elven

Yeah, we know, but remember that he was born of a high elf and chose immortality, effectively making him a high elf in every way that counted, including fashion sense.
For the initiated:

Elf=Kagonesti
Eladrin=Silvanesti
For the initiated:

Elf=Kagonesti
Eladrin=Silvanesti

Shouldn't Elves be silvanesti?

Also, do we have any idea why the Eladrin have come here from FeyWild? Are they just visiting? Are they emissaries? Exiles?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Shouldn't Elves be silvanesti?

Also, do we have any idea why the Eladrin have come here from FeyWild? Are they just visiting? Are they emissaries? Exiles?

It's a reference to DragonLance. The high elves are Qualinesti, the grey elves are Silvanesti, and the wild elves are Kagonesti. 4E elves are more like wild elves than high elves, so they're being likened to Kagonesti. Ditto with eladrin and Silvanesti.

To answer your second paragraph: there's no evidence that the standard 4E eladrin is the servitor of a greater power. They originate from the Feywild, but they aren't confined there. Many eladrin make their primary home in the Middle World, and many others make their primary home in the Feywild, and still others alternate between the two. It's up to the individual.
It's a reference to DragonLance. The high elves are Qualinesti, the grey elves are Silvanesti, and the wild elves are Kagonesti. 4E elves are more like wild elves than high elves, so they're being likened to Kagonesti. Ditto with eladrin and Silvanesti.

To answer your second paragraph: there's no evidence that the standard 4E eladrin is the servitor of a greater power. They originate from the Feywild, but they aren't confined there. Many eladrin make their primary home in the Middle World, and many others make their primary home in the Feywild, and still others alternate between the two. It's up to the individual.

So, an eladrin could, for instance, take a leave of absence from his party to handle familial affairs in Feywild? Shouldn't this indicate that traveling amongst the....inner? planes is therefore extremely easy?

I never read DragonLance, why wouldn't the Eladrin be more like the Qualinesti?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

So, an eladrin could, for instance, take a leave of absence from his party to handle familial affairs in Feywild? Shouldn't this indicate that traveling amongst the....inner? planes is therefore extremely easy?

Planar travel is a lot easier in 4E than in previous editions. The eladrin are particularly good at it, at least as far as Feywild-Middle World travel goes.

To answer your second question: the standard D&D elf as it has existed in previous editions no longer exists. This is because the designers feel that it tried to be too many things at once. It was cut down into two different concepts: the nature-lover and the magc-lover. The nature-lover side became the 4E elf. The magic-lover side became the 4E eladrin.

In DragonLance, Silvanesti society represented the magic-loving extreme of the old archetype. The eladrin was created out of that extreme. Therefore, the eladrin are like the Silvanesti.
I tend to think in colors

Elves
Natural Colors, usually in a autumn or spring palette.
Darker skin, ranging from moderately tanned to mahogany dark. I could even see freckles occasionally.
Hair tones in Deep Red, Brown, Dark Blond, Black or even Green.
Eye colors would be similar, with brown, green, hazel and occasionally yellow.
Tend to favor clothing that would camouflage well in a forest ( brown, green, black, or deep yellow).
Hmmm... Perhaps a elf's coloration coincides with the season of their birth...or changes with the seasons.

Eladrin
Light Colors, favoring pastels or metallics.
Almost universally fair skinned, with porcelain complexions, occasionally bordering on unearthly pale.
Hair tones in vibrant colors with a metallic quality. Copper rather than red, Silver rather than white, gold or platinum instead of blond. Perhaps even metallic blue or violet.
Eye colors would be like gemstones; ruby, topaz, jade, sapphire
Clothing would be elegant. Simple yet classy designs with subtle embroidery and accented by tasteful, understated jewelery. Colors would be chosen to complement the Eladrins natural hair color, eye color, and physique.

Drow
I would give more variation to the signiture "spiders and leather" Drow look.
True to form, the drow would be shadows, darkness, and danger.
The Lolth-touched would still have the unnatural dark skin, but I would broaden the range to include dark grey to midnight black with violet or bluish tints.
Drow hair is commonly pale colors, but in addition to stark white, individual Drow with have tints of other colors such as yellow, blue, or violet.
The Drow eyes would most often be pupil-less white, but some could sport blood red or onyx black as well.
Clothing would be dominated by black, but I could see the drow enjoying sharply contrasting bits of color, in the manner of poisonous arachnids and insects. Violent shades of red, green, or yellow.
So there will only be grooming, color, and clothing differences? I'd like to see Eladrin looking somehow more otherworldly.

Poe's Law is alive and well.

I always thought of it as being a subtle (but somehow obvious) difference between the two

Elves: Hair tending towards the red/brown/green/darker blond shades. Eyes typically brown/green/darker shades. And of course the angular facial features and skin that's typically tanned from long times spent outside.

Eladrin: very similar body structure and facial features, slightly exaggerated angles compared to Elves. Paler skin tones and an odd glow or shine about them. Brighter hair colors with a slight metallic shine, light golden blond, silvery white, etc. As for eyes, I always see colors that would be more unsettling to non-fey, like violet/cat-like yellow/Green with spirals of silver and so on.

And then we have that picture from R&C to show that typical fashion is completely different as well between the two races.

Mostly I just think that Eladrin should only really look different from elves by way of looking unnatural.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

So there will only be grooming, color, and clothing differences? I'd like to see Eladrin looking somehow more otherworldly.

Well, thats the trick. How does one visually establish an "otherworldly" quality?
When the typical hired-gun artist is put to the task of conveying such themes in a picture, they will use the tools best suited to the job of establishing mood and character, in which clothing, grooming, and color are important elements.
Hair, eye and skin color are fairly easy elements to adjust with strange colors and textures, as well as the usual assortment of body types and strange ears.
Wardrobe is also another element you can use to establish a mood. cloths do indeed make the character and a pretty woman in white robes sends a different message then the same woman in bloody soaked armor or in a simple rough-spun dress.
We could also apply other cues such as strange body language; Eladrin might move with a unnerving fluid grace and respond to stimuli as if they were half-dreaming. But such body language is easier to describe in text than to draw.
WOTC might be well served to put together a comprehensive 4th Ed Style Guide to answer such visual questions in a concise manner. Until then I'll just work with the ideas that I think can create distinctive characters.
They basically split up the elves we used to have into two races. We used to have elves with a keen connection to nature and magic. Now we have elves with a keen connection to nature and their cousins called eladrin that love magic.

The Feywild isn't quite like, say, the Astral Plane or Elemental Chaos. It's spatially mapped on top of the Material World and the two connect at various points. This is a nod to traditional folklore devices of Faerie roads that instead of going in a direction in the real world, lead you into the Fey realm. Also the ability for buildings to phase in and out of both worlds based on various rules (full moon, midnight, seasons, etc.). There was one example given, I believe in Worlds and Monsters, of a Human Wizard who entered a Fey kingdom through a magical dream.

The way your party enters or exits is really up to your imagination. For inspiration, check out Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clarke and Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess.

I imagine the Shadowfell, with its association with both death and shadow, also has secret doors and pathways littered throughout the Material Plane.
I tend to think in colors

Elves
Natural Colors, usually in a autumn or spring palette.
Darker skin, ranging from moderately tanned to mahogany dark. I could even see freckles occasionally.
Hair tones in Deep Red, Brown, Dark Blond, Black or even Green.
Eye colors would be similar, with brown, green, hazel and occasionally yellow.
Tend to favor clothing that would camouflage well in a forest ( brown, green, black, or deep yellow).
Hmmm... Perhaps a elf's coloration coincides with the season of their birth...or changes with the seasons.

Eladrin
Light Colors, favoring pastels or metallics.
Almost universally fair skinned, with porcelain complexions, occasionally bordering on unearthly pale.
Hair tones in vibrant colors with a metallic quality. Copper rather than red, Silver rather than white, gold or platinum instead of blond. Perhaps even metallic blue or violet.
Eye colors would be like gemstones; ruby, topaz, jade, sapphire
Clothing would be elegant. Simple yet classy designs with subtle embroidery and accented by tasteful, understated jewelery. Colors would be chosen to complement the Eladrins natural hair color, eye color, and physique.

Drow
I would give more variation to the signiture "spiders and leather" Drow look.
True to form, the drow would be shadows, darkness, and danger.
The Lolth-touched would still have the unnatural dark skin, but I would broaden the range to include dark grey to midnight black with violet or bluish tints.
Drow hair is commonly pale colors, but in addition to stark white, individual Drow with have tints of other colors such as yellow, blue, or violet.
The Drow eyes would most often be pupil-less white, but some could sport blood red or onyx black as well.
Clothing would be dominated by black, but I could see the drow enjoying sharply contrasting bits of color, in the manner of poisonous arachnids and insects. Violent shades of red, green, or yellow.

I REALLY like this!

...Especially the Elves having physical characteristics of the Seasons in which they were born.
R&C also has Eladrin having solid colored eyes (ie, all violet or silver or what have you), a soft glow to them (sometimes), a different mentality and cultural structure.
Suck it up and drive on.
This is an Elf:

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/112913.jpg)

This is an Eladrin:

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/112908.jpg)

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Ok so besides all this artistic and flavor nonsence, is there anything else that seperates the 2 "races?" I mean is there anything even remotely seperate about the 2 species? Ability modifiers? Inherant Abilities?
And sure, i am highly skeptical about the $ed (couldnt resist, sorry), but i am interested...

....i used to hate the idea of 3ed and the 3.5, but i wouldnt go back to thac0 now, thank you!
Ok so besides all this artistic and flavor nonsence, is there anything else that seperates the 2 "races?" I mean is there anything even remotely seperate about the 2 species? Ability modifiers? Inherant Abilities?

Read: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20071221

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
And sure, i am highly skeptical about the $ed (couldnt resist, sorry), but i am interested...

....i used to hate the idea of 3ed and the 3.5, but i wouldnt go back to thac0 now, thank you!

Based on DDXP, yes to both modifiers and abilities. They both get +2 Dex, but Eladrins have +2 Int and a per-encounter short range teleport, while Elves get a +2 Wis, a group perception buff and a per-encounter accuaracy bonus. There's also other minor differences like skill and save bonuses, speed and trances.
I may be completely imagining this, but based on the couple of pics I've seen in this thread and elsewhere it seems to me that there's a difference in the angles of the faces. Eladrin tend to have their angles pointed more vertically, where the elves are more of a forty five between straight back and up. The best place to look at to recognize this seems to be the points of the ears.

If anyone else is seeing this I'd like confirmation that I'm not just imagining it.
I may be completely imagining this, but based on the couple of pics I've seen in this thread and elsewhere it seems to me that there's a difference in the angles of the faces. Eladrin tend to have their angles pointed more vertically, where the elves are more of a forty five between straight back and up. The best place to look at to recognize this seems to be the points of the ears.

If anyone else is seeing this I'd like confirmation that I'm not just imagining it.

I think the hard and fast rule is that Elves are a bit softer and tanner, and Eladrin more chiseled and alien. I think the angles you're mentioning might come across in that difference.