Spells that Need to be Removed From the Game or Significantly Altered

428 posts / 0 new
Last post
You may think this is either daring, arrogant, or the work of a misanthrope, but follow through with me here and post spells that you think either need serious rewrites or need to be removed from the game.

Teleport: Teleport and Greater Teleport are broken. There is no reason for these spells to ever exist. Every great story begins with an epic journey, and if PC's can cast teleport, it leads to "Screw you guys, let's just teleport there."

I used to play a ranger, and as SOON as the arcane caster hit 9th level, 90 percent of the reason to play the class was GONE.

Terrain? Who cares? We'll just teleport there. Bad guy has an obstacle? Who cares? We'll just teleport there. Got a door you can't get past without a special key? Who cares? We'll just teleport past it.

Another option would be to increase the casting time on these spells to an hour or more, so you can't teleport in combat.

Raise Dead: Everyone pays for True Ressurrection anyway. They give up magic items and all their treasure for it, because nothing is worse than losing a level when coming back from the dead.

Wall of Iron/Stone: These spells as they are currently written are BROKEN. All you need to do is have these spells and Fabricate, and with the right craft skills, you can drive every merchant in the world into bankruptcy. This is even more broken with Teleport, above, since you don't have to worry about competing or overflooding markets.

Entangle: I don't think there's a single spell in 3.5 that gives me as much grief as Entangle. It's probably the single most powerful first level spell in the game. An 80 foot diameter cluster of roots that halves your movement IF YOU SAVE? You can't be serious. Well, they are. And it does.

Anti-Magic Field: I love Anti Magic Field, but this spell needs a rider on it as follows. The special effect of this ability uses your magical energy to power the field. You can't make scrolls of it, or create an item that does it for you. If a noncaster manages to activate an Anti-Magic field, they take 10d6 points of damage per round as the spell feeds off their life force.
NO ONE MAY EVER HAVE AN ABILITY THAT ALLOWS THEM TO CAST IN AN ANTIMAGIC FIELD.
You may think this is either daring, arrogant, or the work of a misanthrope, but follow through with me here and post spells that you think either need serious rewrites or need to be removed from the game.

I don't think so. High-level play has a different theme than low-level play. Things that are obstacles for 1st level chars are a piece of cake for high-level chars. This is part of the game.

Teleport: Teleport and Greater Teleport are broken. There is no reason for these spells to ever exist. Every great story begins with an epic journey, and if PC's can cast teleport, it leads to "Screw you guys, let's just teleport there."

Ok, so Alice never reached Wonderland, Bill & Ted just left the telephone booth where they started, and Neo never entered the matrix. You know, not every story is the Lord of the Rings and not every adventure starts with walking...

I used to play a ranger, and as SOON as the arcane caster hit 9th level, 90 percent of the reason to play the class was GONE.

You played a ranger to make fires and check for avalanches? How... heroic. Did you use Survival to do the party laundry too?

What about animal companion, tracking enemies and shooting arrows? That's 10%?

Another option would be to increase the casting time on these spells to an hour or more, so you can't teleport in combat.

Teleport in Combat? What for? Does the wizard have endless level 5 slots? Did the DM forget about the miss chance? Ever heard of Dimension Door?

Raise Dead: Everyone pays for True Ressurrection anyway. They give up magic items and all their treasure for it, because nothing is worse than losing a level when coming back from the dead.

Yeah, right, because there is always a level 17 NPC Cleric and some 25,000 gp around...

Wall of Iron/Stone: These spells as they are currently written are BROKEN. All you need to do is have these spells and Fabricate, and with the right craft skills, you can drive every merchant in the world into bankruptcy. This is even more broken with Teleport, above, since you don't have to worry about competing or overflooding markets.

Oh please. D&D is a game, not a simulated medieval economy. Do you also complain about how there are no dragons in Macroeconomics 101?

Entangle: I don't think there's a single spell in 3.5 that gives me as much grief as Entangle. It's probably the single most powerful first level spell in the game. An 80 foot diameter cluster of roots that halves your movement IF YOU SAVE? You can't be serious. Well, they are. And it does.

Grease has the same effect, just smaller. And you seem to forget that Entangle hits your own party, too.

Anti-Magic Field: I love Anti Magic Field, but this spell needs a rider on it as follows. The special effect of this ability uses your magical energy to power the field. You can't make scrolls of it, or create an item that does it for you. If a noncaster manages to activate an Anti-Magic field, they take 10d6 points of damage per round as the spell feeds off their life force.

?? Explain why something like that is necessary.
I'm note a big fan of spells that allow casters to replace other party members. Divine Power, that ranger spell that gives SA dice, knock, polymorph, etc.

It's kinda lame that two of the core roles can be replaced by a caster with the right spells.

If I were to remake Knock for example I'd throw in a Open Lock check with a bonus to the check. If they beat the DC then the locks open instantly, without tools and what not. That way if a wizard takes the time to have some amount of training in lockpicking he can open most locks, otherwise you'll have to do it the hard way (fighter axe style).
Ohh and I'm sorry but I gotta agree with the ranger losing usefulness beyond 9th. The ranger is a combat/skill hybrid (effectively) and since casters have spells that reduce/remove that need for many skills the ranger takes a big hit. If that same ranger happens to be an archer, well I can certainly see why you felt useless. Unless you ultra specialize as an archer you're going to feel a little underpowered when compared to a wizard. Even more so now that reserve feats mean they never run out of range attacks.
And Mkill,
What are you rolling survival checks for at 9th level and up. Hunting? Surviving the elements? I mean, I guess track is always useful but still hardly an unduplicatable effect. Beside there are spells that duplicate all of those things and even if there wasn't endure elements and everlasting ration bags by nineth level a few points of subduel damage is hardly going to phase half the group.
Ok, so Alice never reached Wonderland, Bill & Ted just left the telephone booth where they started, and Neo never entered the matrix. You know, not every story is the Lord of the Rings and not every adventure starts with walking...

To be fair, that was Plane Shift. :P
Teleport is not so bad, but teleport combined with scry to get to an enemy is a terrifying concept for both the players and the DM.

Entangle and web are two spells that I'd like to see toned down. Just make the strength and escape artist check easier and those spells are fine. As of now, those spells tend to drag down combats, especially for weak PCs.

Blink is a spell that I'd like to see dropped. It has a huge list of mechanics that are easily missed. I constantly have to remind players that their speed is reduced and that they also have a percent chance to miss when attacking creatures. It's far better than any bonuses to armor, because it gives a 50% miss chance that is not concealment. Also, it makes scouting too easy. Just fly through all the walls and float away if someone tries to attack you. Now I know it's a personal spell, but at the higher levels it's conceivable to get blink through the ring of blinking depending on your DM.

Magic jar is also pretty scary if you've DM'd for a player who's used it. Body jumping everywhere and killing the possessed body through suicide is the usual tactic from this. Now if it was just one creature that the mage could possess, that would be fine, but possession can be attempted an unlimited number of times (although only once per creature) while the spell lasts. It also gives you the ability to automatically sense creatures within a certain radius, so there's no chance for stealth.

The polymorph list of spells gives to much power if one knows which monster to pick. Like another person pointed out, it would be better if they just put a list of creatures you could polymorph into. This way you don't get fighters who spend the majority of their careers as green hags.
The only spell that I can really agree with you on is Teleport, but then again, I can also see it being a lot harder to get until higher levels.
With 30 levels of core gameplay, I would neither be surprised nor bothered by Teleport not being available until caster level 20.

Raise Dead and to an extend Resurrection and True Resurrection should still be there, but again, be harder to cast and not available until higher levels. Like casting times in hours or days.

The solid walls need to be fixed, not removed.

Entangle is a great second level Druid spell.<,< >,>

Yes, nothing supernatural, not even Psionics or shadowmagic or truenaming or anything short of a Deity's Avatar's salient divine powers or Artifact level items should work in an Anti-magic field.
wish,meracle, and the ilk what with per\day spells these got me worried
I like teleport. There are almost as many fantasy novels I've read that have it as don't have it. I think that a casting time of 10 minutes (what it was in 2nd ed, if I recall) would be good for it and greater teleport. Not to mention, if teleport is on the per day list, it might be just fine. Or to steal an idea from Mercedes Lackey, there is one major teleport type spell that is so exhausting you can only cast it once a day (or once every few days).

But to answer the original question, I have some of the following ideas. Some are general and affect multiple spells.

Polymorph and shapechange. I have always loved shapechangers but these spells are problematic. I'm fine with the polymorph type versions in the Spell Compendium and elsewhere. Carrying that to 4e would be fine by me. Or even a "You can polymoph into one of these creatures:" and give a limited list.

Damage spells, area spells, and spell flexibility. I'd like to be able to cast a fireball like effect without having to take feats or use magic items. In many ways, I think psionics went the right direction with the energy missile, energy ball, and energy line type powers. Even if the caster had to specify an energy type when it's taken or learned would be fine.

I'd like all of the wall spells to be shapeable into flat walls, spheres, domes or zigzags.

Spell theory and mechanics. I'd like spells to be consistant. Don't get me wrong, I love the orb spells, but that was a bad spell design choice. This also includes spells that are there simply to get around specialization. Either move the spells around, tweak the schools, or just base spells on the effect rather than arbitrary school definitions.

Healing and necromancy. Conjuration (healing)? Wouldn't the inflict spells be Conjuration (harming) and conjure negative energy by the same idea? Having both under the umbrella of "necromancy" is fine by me.

Spell lists and spell levels. This is extreme, but I'd like all spells to be available to all classes. Balance spells and classes according to that philosophy. Then spell choices can be thematic. I can have my non-divine healer and my fireball throwing priest of fire. After all, you can still only cast one spell a round (barring swift and immediate spells). Who cares of it's the same person or a given class? This works best if spellcasters are all limited in spells known by some fashion and the classes are balanced for it.

Dimension Door and short range teleports. I like blink dogs, House Orien from Eberron, and Nightcrawler from X-men. Consequently I'd like to see more short range, quick casting teleport like effects. I'd also be fine if they were self only. If some were limited to line of sight, I'd be good with that too.

Multischool spells. Either they are core and have PHB examples, or they go away. I vote for go away. I think the kiss priciple should apply here.

Multifunction spells. I like them, lets see more. Wingblast and it's ilk are fun. This also includes spells like fire (chill) shield, clairvoyance/clarisentience, and blindness/deafness. I'd also like spells like stone to flesh and flesh to stone be the same spell like they were in 2nd ed.

Debuff spells and their counters should be the same level, and available at the level where you might be the victim. Examples include any petrification effect and stone to flesh.

Counterspelling should have less obnoxious mechanics. Making it an immediate (rather than held) action would be a good start.

Edit: Resurrection and Raise Dead. I'd like resurrection and raise dead to go back to contitution loss rather than level loss. If that means Res and Raise Dead are modified and rebalanced against that idea, so be it.

That's all I can think of for now. As always, your mileage may vary.
All of the ability score modification spells. Every one of the things straight into the garbage.There are some others that need to be dumped too but these ruin the fun of the game. Why do I want a bunch of invulnerable players at my table? I know that some people don't use them because they make them over powered. I don't want to set up the same encounter twice just to accommodate two different parties depending upon which buffs they did or didn't take or have as potions, (Potions they had to make themselves since they will never find them as treasure.

While we are at it, I think that control of what spells the players get should return to the province of the dungeon master. no more two of whatever spell you want when players gain a level. They should have to work for their spells. Sorcerers should also need to learn spells, just not memorize them.
Anti-Magic field is fundamantally totally broken, in that its a 5th level spell that stops level-9 (sometimes higher!) spells from working.
Orbs: allow a caster to bypass fundamental limitations of magic (i.e SR) with damaging spells. Indirect-effect spells that hurt magic resistant creatures make sense (Earthquake) but these are just munchkinry...its a very fine line between Magically Created Fire (won't breach SR) and Magical Created Acid (which will for some reason, even though both are "energy"). I want colossal golems outside my cities without them being melted by flying wizards exploiting rules loopholes.

Teleport just needs extra limitations. Teleport is great for higher level play since it means the 18th level PCs can ignore the trip through the Terribly Mediocre Forest fighting 1st level orcs and get straight to the 18th level Fortress of Ultimate Doom. The ranger would have been redundant in the low level forest anyway. (And sure I could put CR 18 monsters in the mediocre forest, but only by straining credulity by having to explain why the nearby village wasn't obliterated).

Sandulax

Orb spells are conjuration if I remember correctly.
Conjuration does not create anything. It calls it from another place.

Evocation creates energy.

Created fire is magical fire.
Called fire is normal fire.

That is why Fireball, a 3rd level spell that does 1d6/level (max 10) to a burst is a Level 3 spell and Greater Fire orb which is a single target spell with less damage is a 4th-level spell.
Gate.

Hop to another dimension, gate in the BBEG, command him to cut off his own head. What fun.
Created fire is magical fire.
Called fire is normal fire.

The separation between normal and magical fire is no longer true in 3rd, unlike 2nd. There is only fire.

Not to mention, calling is a conjuration subschool and not attached to the orb spells.
How about replacing Entangle at First level with a Root spell at first level. it only affects one subject. Then at Fifth level you can get Entangle, with a little higher DC, but not much....
Personally, I would love to see Save or Die spells removed from the game.

This is the one aspect of spellcasting that I really hate.

Long-term flight is just as bad really, or almost anyway. Both involve just skipping most relevant encounters along the way and getting the destination. I think they should do away with teleport and just have portals.

Similarly, I'd like flight magic and movement abilities in general to be pushed back to a later level. Fly as a 3rd level spell has always struck me as something you get way too soon.

Yeah, they need ot state that if the wall becomes anything other than a wall, that it's severed pieces just crumble to dust, or something to that effect. I'm also in favor of making the spell permanent instead of instantaneous.

I've personally never seen a problem with entangle. The main limitation is that it only works outside, and that's pretty big.

AMF just shouldn't exist period. It's a pain to adjudicate (even the Rules of the Game writers had trouble), and it doesn't add much to the game beyond a real pain or a way to hose casters.

Dead magic zones need to go too. It's okay to have impeded magic of certain types (no fire spells in the elemental plane of water for instance), but just out and out saying, "There's no magic here." really sucks. The mechanic shouldn't exist.
AMF just shouldn't exist period. It's a pain to adjudicate (even the Rules of the Game writers had trouble), and it doesn't add much to the game beyond a real pain or a way to hose casters.

Dead magic zones need to go too. It's okay to have impeded magic of certain types (no fire spells in the elemental plane of water for instance), but just out and out saying, "There's no magic here." really sucks. The mechanic shouldn't exist.

Yes, if any spells should go they are Anti-Magic Field and Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

Building a stuff with magic? No real problem with it, it's not like a wizard can hire the union to make their towers.

Long range teleportation could be more limited, perhaps to only to hubs or nodes they have been too, removing it completely is harsh as mages are well known for popping up wherever and whenever. Shorter range movement is fine however and mostly limited to encounter applications anyway.

And movement impairing effects are just another reason you should have bows.
I reckon they should get rid of arcane mark. It takes up space that could be used for something more exciting.

While I don't mind the idea of arcane marks so much, do they have to use a spell for it?
Long-term flight is just as bad really, or almost anyway. Both involve just skipping most relevant encounters along the way and getting the destination. I think they should do away with teleport and just have portals.

Similarly, I'd like flight magic and movement abilities in general to be pushed back to a later level. Fly as a 3rd level spell has always struck me as something you get way too soon.

I agree with keeping spells simple and long term book keeping is horrible.

Get rid of ALL long term spells that affect characters! Make utility spells once per encounter per person swift spells that last a number of rounds equal to caster level plus 1d4 rounds to add a bit of spice. Encounters can include non combat obstacles as well. This would mean that any caster would be restricted to the number of spells that could be in effect in an encounter but would not have to waste rounds putting one or two into effect on the hoof. Just increase the bonuses for higher level versions of buff spells and the really powerful versions of such spells could have per day usage.

Get rid of all the stat buff spells except Strength and adjust the game so high stats are not so crucial to everything you do. Add one simple Skill Boost spell that can be applied across the board to any one skill at a time (with perhaps an adjustment to distances for Jump).

You're contradicting yourself. It it's a "relevant encounter", then it doesn't happen "along the way".

Remember Vaarsuvius rule of random encounters: There is always only one random encounter on the way to any destination. Why?

Because players don't have time until midnight. They want an adventure, not random highway robbers and displacer beast jumping out from the bush. So the wizard just kills the random encounter with a fireball (or whatever his highest level kill spell is) and the next scene starts at the destination.

And since encounters "along the way" are by definition irrelevant, you might just as well teleport to location.
You're contradicting yourself. It it's a "relevant encounter", then it doesn't happen "along the way".

Sure it does... ever run a chase scene, Where the PCs are being pursued and try to evade their pursuers?

What if you wanted a side encounter that has something to do with the story. The village the PCs are going to are plagued by odd vampire bandits. Instead of having the villagers tell the PCs about it, you have them get attacked on the road. This is a much better hook and piques the players' interest.

Even simply encountering some travelers who pass on information. I mean, whatever. There's a lot of things you can do with encounters along the journey. Teleportation and flight kill that.

And since encounters "along the way" are by definition irrelevant, you might just as well teleport to location.

Sorry you feel that way...

I guess the whole Lord of the Rings movie was irrelevant then. They should have just teleported to Mt.Doom and be done with it.
But wait, there's already a mechanic for removing these troubling spells! Just say no, as a DM. Also, there are quite a few ways to impede things like teleportation, and other pain in the nose tactics. Teleportation is great for parties, it removes time constraints, makes travel easier, and when it fails, you've got people who've possibly become dependent on it having to scramble.
If Permanency is going to be kept, I would like to see the spell worked better so it's able to be more easilly applied to non-core/supplemental sourcebook spells.

Make Contingency an Universal spell instead of an Evocation spell (why is it an evocation spell in the first place?)

Either make these spells better, change them into feats (the Craft Contingency Spell feat is far superior to Contingency) or get rid of them altogether.

Other than that, counterspelling rules need a major rehaul.
Even simply encountering some travelers who pass on information. I mean, whatever. There's a lot of things you can do with encounters along the journey. Teleportation and flight kill that.

As someone else stated above, there are just as many adventures that REQUIRE teleportation as adventures that are killed off by it. High level games are just different then low level ones. A pack of wolves just isn't a threat to a 17th level party and a flooded bridge isn't an obstacle. The DM has to advance the challenges to match the PCs.

The big problem with teleport is it's lack of restrictions (because of scrying) and it's ease of casting. Hopefully in 4th ED it will be a high level per day spell with a long casting time. That should deal with most of the power imbalance issues.

Sorry you feel that way...

I guess the whole Lord of the Rings movie was irrelevant then. They should have just teleported to Mt.Doom and be done with it.

Actually theres a few snide comments about flying eagles, but then again Lord of the Rings is fairly low powered fantasy. Barely even 10th level.
Well... At least we got custom avatars....
Fixed teleport is relatively innocuous; free teleport can be a problem. The first long-range teleport spell could involve the caster preparing 'teleport sites', typically the PCs' base of operations. This could be an 8 hour ritual involving considerable expense. When the caster and his party teleports, they choose a site to go back to. The maximum number of sites that could be prepared would start at 1 and increase every few levels.
Fixed teleport is relatively innocuous; free teleport can be a problem. The first long-range teleport spell could involve the caster preparing 'teleport sites', typically the PCs' base of operations. This could be an 8 hour ritual involving considerable expense. When the caster and his party teleports, they choose a site to go back to. The maximum number of sites that could be prepared would start at 1 and increase every few levels.

I'd like that too. I also wouldn't mind if teleport was limited to having had vistited the destination at least once.

In a series of books, Deryni I believe, teleporting is mostly done between special rooms that have been set up to make site memorization easy because the floor was designed in a specific pattern. But then the characters could pass on the memorization pattern via mental communication, I believe.

Something like that would work well too.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Personally, I would love to see Save or Die spells removed from the game.

This is the one aspect of spellcasting that I really hate.

The Enworld interviews already confirm that you will never lose your character off of a single dieroll.
I have alot of mixed thoughts as i read the thread, and forgot alot of points i had. but let me try.

first, on Save of Die spells. Sigea, you are absolutly right. they need to be tossed. As there is a save or die spell of nearly every save, assuming they retain the save system, it has to go. example: you fight a fighter? Phantasmal killer. Wizard? Disentergrate Rogue? avoid dex. its a little too much like a x4 crit weapon that always crits when it hits.

next, teleport seems to be big. using the nodes is a very good idea, but i think it should require a physical node. therefore, a clever BBEG could find the node, and position forces there, so maybe they half escape. another thing i think would be cool is if teleport took say, 2 or 3 rounds. why? imagine a combat, everyone is getting beaten, things are going downhill.... wizard decides, its time to run. he screams to his party "Lets run!!!" and the rest of the party does their best to defend the wizard as he conjures the teleportation gate. Another idea would be to allow teh enemy to somehow track them when they teleported or maybe teleport along with them (if they are grappling or something). think harry potter and teh apparation magic they used.

speaking of that, it would be an idea to make it so teleportation in certain feilds is impossible, but the caster should be able to determine that teleportatin is impossible with a spellraft check

guess thats it.
Whoever said the wall spells had a permanent duration rather than instantaneous?

Guess what? In 2E, they DID!

I completely agree with whoever mentioned the orb spells. Please, please get rid of them. Conjurers are now better than anything else. Forget fireball. I'll just throw orb spells and ask people what their touch AC is.
The Enworld interviews already confirm that you will never lose your character off of a single dieroll.

The statement doesn't necessarily say what you think it does, however.

I'm rather surprised, however. Apart from anti-magic field and gate, people are missing some of the more obvious things that take the game over their knee and break it. Fabricate is almost though, but that has to do more with the poor Crafting rules as much as the spell itself.

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned greater planar binding (Efreets, ftw!), limited wish, wish and miracle. *snap*, boom, done.
But I'm surprised no one's mentioned ... limited wish, wish and miracle. *snap*, boom, done.

Well, that is because wish/miracle should stay. They represent the pinnacle of magic prowess and serve as an emergency button that parties sometimes need. A bit more definition would be nice however.
Emergency button? You can do that with mass heal. You don't need to have the option of waking up and deciding which way to break the game today.
Emergency button? You can do that with mass heal. You don't need to have the option of waking up and deciding which way to break the game today.

exactly can you imagine cating wish every day oy vey
exactly can you imagine cating wish every day oy vey

I doubt they'd be that dumb.

I think the spell list in general needs to be toned down. Not all 3.x spells should make the cut by far.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7

No, you cannot do that with mass heal. Mass heal does one thing: heal people. Wish lets you mimic any spell from the same list that is one level below it, or any spell from any list that is 4 levels below it. In addition to that it is listed by name as one of the spells that can be used to end many persistent harmful effects. And like the ultimate panic button it is, you may use wish to for any one roll to be rerolled and reshaping reality to accommodate that. It is the adventurers "get out of jail by paying some of my life force" card.

And if you limit wish to the bullets listed, it isn't nearly as bad as people think it is.

Terrain? Who cares? We'll just teleport there. Bad guy has an obstacle? Who cares? We'll just teleport there. Got a door you can't get past without a special key? Who cares? We'll just teleport past it.

For teleport, the miss chance makes it balanced IMO. But really, I don't think that most DM's who put a door meant to be opened with a key forget to put dimensional anchor behind it.

Raise dead gives a penalty for what it offers and still costs some money.

Wall of Iron/Stone do generate money, but I don't really think that its terribly important. If you are worried about it, just say that it becomes worthless if used with fabricate or other stuff.

Entagle is a combat spell, it needs to be effective like a combat spell.

AMF is a part of life so w/e
As someone else stated above, there are just as many adventures that REQUIRE teleportation as adventures that are killed off by it.

But here's a question, what story requires teleportation where it can't be replaced by a network of portals?

Portals seem like a much more controlled version of teleportation. You choose where they go and where they don't go... and thus you don't' have to worry about scry/teleport or teleporting into the King's treasury, yet you can still tell tales that feature the adventurers going to different worlds/planes rather quickly.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned holy word/blasphemy line of spells. A caster who manages to put out a higher caster level via items/feats can auto kill everyone in the area of the spell, no save, you're paralyzed or you die, have a nice day....

MDJ has to be added too, how many spells require you to CHECK your entire list of items and roll one save per item and scribble them off?

Antimagic field is also an offender in slowing down the game, since at high levels you have to have 3 stat blocks, one standard block, one with magical buffs, and one without magic items or any buffs at all. Talk about annoying...

Polymorph... nuff said
Time stop-

Here is a list of some offenders from some supplements:
Celerity-(phb 2)
Lahm's finger darts (bovd)
Luminous armor (Boed)
Owl's Insight (Spell compendium) Name a spellcasting class that can cast a spell that boost their prime casting ability score in this manner? (bear in mind its an insight bonus and stacks with items.)
Orb spells (spell compendium)
Kelpstrand (spell compendium) a full fledged druid with owl's insight and a decent caster level will almost always win the grapple checks against large or smaller creatures...

I'm sure there is more but it just goes to show some magic spells need to get away from the ancient overpowered text from 2nd edition and the new spells that emerge have to actually be "Playtested" and not just tossed out there for the masses.
Is it so wrong for lv20 PCs to be able to dictate the terms on which they do battle? That seems exactly like the sort of thing they ought to be capable of achieving at that sort of power level. Else, there really does not seem much for a wizard to look forward to, save for his spells doing more damage, and I certainly don't want some sort of warmage variant...

I admit that it might be problematic that PCs can use teleport/shadow walk/gate/planeshift etc to zip past any encounter in that the DM may find it hard to properly design a campaign. But I dunno - a high lv wizard just does not seem complete without such "iconic" spells at his disposal. It just does not seem the same when the wizard has to leave by the front door rather than disappear in a puff of smoke and whisk back to his tower...:P

I admit that certain spells like PAO are potentially game-breaking, but they are also the very spells that inject so much spice into the game. I mean - some of the more memorable moments of my games were when the players were strutting around polymorphed to their hearts' content.

Is there really no way of reconciling them?
The only problem with spells like teleport is that they don't add the counters to them until some later supplement. I've been suing things like redirect teleport spells for multiple editions to make sure they party can't just teleport to the bad guy after they get a loose description of the lair. Illusion spells to screw with scrying, ranged attacks, flying monsters to deal with flight/overland flight.

Also maybe its just me but yes I preferred the larger negative consequences to a failed teleport or dispelled flight. I know back in 2e I sure as heck didn't teleport blindly, they effectively had fixed locations by making the cost of failure much higher. And by the time the party got to Teleport without error it was much easier to justify the BBEG having false vision spells up and redirect teleport spells up all the time.
Sign In to post comments