Double Scimitar

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shouldn't the double scimitar be 1d8/1d8 instead of 1d6/1d6? The Scimitar in the phb is a 1d8 and all the other double weapons seen so far have the same damage as their singular counterparts.
Yeah it's probably a miss print. The Scimtar is a d8 so it should be 1d8/1d8.
I was just about to post this.
I doubt it's a mistake. I'd bet it's a reaction to the constant complaints that double weapons are over-powered.
I doubt it's a mistake. I'd bet it's a reaction to the constant complaints that double weapons are over-powered.

Or a hold over from the 3.5 Double Scimitar. They may have just forgotten that they moved the damage die from d6 in 3.5 to d8 in 4th.

Its 100% a mistake. They just copied the damage from the 3.5 double scimitar, and forgot that they upped the scimitars damage dice in 4e.
Or it is correct and is only called a Double Scimitar cause the ends resemble scimitars... If you want D8 use the double sword and call it a double scimitar.
Its 100% a mistake. They just copied the damage from the 3.5 double scimitar, and forgot that they upped the scimitars damage dice in 4e.

It's 100% not a mistake. They just caved in to the whiners complaining about overpoweredness.

:P

Making new options less powerful doesn't address that issue without an errata to make the old options less powerful, too; people will just use double swords rather than double scimitars.

Also, the reason it's probably a mistak isn't that scimitars are usuall 1d8, it's just the standard rules for changing weapon proficiency, damage, and properties make +1 proficiency equal to high crit; therefore modifying a double sword to have lower proficiency and high crit should leave it with the same damage (same as shifting a longsword to a scimitar).
I doubt they will fix it though. They have other weapons that are underpowered by their metrics, that haven't been addressed.
It should be fixed. Why should the double scimitar be lowered in damage die when none on the other double weapons damage dies have been changed from their single counterparts?
It should probably be increased by a weapon die size, or gain the light blade property. Or they give it both and its been given the equivalent upgrades that the double sword did.

Because this doesn't look right:
Longsword -> Doublesword = Increased Abilities
Scimitar -> Double Scimitar = Decreased Damage

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I definitely don't think it should be given the light blade property. I think it was a mistake to give that to the double sword. But they should up its damage die size to what it should be, 1d8.
Well I think the reason they gave them the light blade property is because otherwise the only character that could use them with out penilty would be the ranger.

At least this way a player who isn't a ranger can duel wield 2 weapons of the same size but still need to blow a feat in order to do it with out penilty.

*Edition.* Nevermind, i need to stop makeing statements while sleepy. I was getting light blade confused with offhand.
:P
Yeah, a +2 1d8/1d8 high crit weapon would actually be an interesting choice... right up until level 14 or so when I find I have enough feats to get deadly axe, and then I take the +2 1d10/1d10 weapon and it's automatically high crit.

Now if scimitar dance worked with it (I don't know if it does or not, don't recall exact wording + lazy = not looking it up ;)), it would be remotely interesting.
Sign In to post comments