[PHB-Only] Suggestions on best build to synergize with a Cleric?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Starting a new game (this time with all that errata) at level 12. Party kinda comes and goes since we're all pretty busy; the only person I'm confident will be at every game will be rolling up a level 12 Dwarf Cleric, Wis-focus (she loves Consecrated Ground). 

I'm wondering what would be a good character that would synergize with the Cleric while meshing well with any number of other characters as they come and go? Off the top of my head I was thinking a melee Ranger/Cleric/Tactical Warpriest for the striker/defender angle, or a Rogue/Daggermaster with frostcheese. I figure the Cleric will keep me alive long enough for me to quickly dispatch major threats. Thoughts?

This is PHB-only, errated, and we'll be tackling Revenge of the Giants.

I'd say it would mostly depend on what the other characters are.

Personally, although I suspect I'm biased, I would go with a Con'lock. However, Wizards look very tempting... damage over a wide area? Sure. Why not.

THIS IS SHARDMIND!

--Lord_of_Asdf

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Lord_of_Asdf wrote:

I'd say it would mostly depend on what the other characters are.

Personally, although I suspect I'm biased, I would go with a Con'lock. However, Wizards look very tempting... damage over a wide area? Sure. Why not.

Yeah, Wizard was also on my mind although I wasn't 100% sure since the Cleric and I would both be ranged. I assume that having a melee-range character would help the Cleric do her job with less problems, and would enable the other players to play ranged characters with less of a hassle. 

Oh, if you want melee-ranged, then it's no contest. The Rouge is your man/woman/genderless construct. For PHB only that is. Rouge guide:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3384391

THIS IS SHARDMIND!

--Lord_of_Asdf

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Uh, Consecreated Ground is no longer movable and does not benefit from Healer's lore post-errata, meaning that it looses a lot of lustere. You might want to unerrata that part and make it movable again, TBH.

Also, not even one of the * Power books? In any case, the class that looks to be the least butchered by PHB-only is the warlord, but I'd be fine with you going with the rouge/daggermaster - rouges still are pretty decent with PHB, they just loose their off-action powers (a biggie, but I guess you can live with it). So, go with either a warlord or a daggermaster rouge, that's what I'd say.

AKA: William Imm on RPG Crossing and most other sites. All much better designed than the WotC forums.

Gathering intrest on a unofficial contuniation of 4e - PM me if intrested.

Spend the money to get a DDI subscription (or split the cost between the group). Not having access to all of the books makes 4e much less enjoyable for everyone. Particularly if the DM is stuck using Monster Manual 1. Gond that thing was awful.

Weren't wizards weak-sauce in the PHB? They didn't get good until Arcane Power came out is my understanding.

Nah, but if you're doing PBH1-only with errata they may be in trouble.

When in doubt go fighter.

Though PHB only with errata is such an awful idea (as by the way is rolling a character for 4e, hoping you just meant that as a figure of speech) that I would rather walk away from this DM than think of a character to play.

I want to stress how good the idea mention above is, pool some cash, get a DDI subscription.

Alright, I've gotten approval for PHB, PHBII, and Adventurer's Vault. So... maybe Warden/MC Barbarian/Bear Warrior?

Uh, there is still something so fundimentaly wrong about only using the PHBs and one item supplimental (albiet a fairly comprehensive one) only, esp. with the errata. I mean, come on, you really should be using at least ONE of the * Power supplimental books, a LOT of the meat and pudding for the classes came from this, and a fair few even came from Dragon Magazine. I'd compare your question to, say, asking if you should use your old shoe or a glass bottle to drive in a nail. Most people would rightfully answer "Get a hammer and don't try to fudge it with bad objects".

And in this case, the hammer is a D&D Insider subscription. I'd recommend getting one for the whole gaming group - this will really open up a lot of content for you and the group, so you and the others don't have to bother with asking questions or doing stuff based on really limited source material. And, if your DM was primarly relying on the (rather bad) MM1, this will open up a lot more new and interesting monsters for him to try out, so it's all good.

AKA: William Imm on RPG Crossing and most other sites. All much better designed than the WotC forums.

Gathering intrest on a unofficial contuniation of 4e - PM me if intrested.

whitishknight wrote:

Alright, I've gotten approval for PHB, PHBII, and Adventurer's Vault. So... maybe Warden/MC Barbarian/Bear Warrior?

The classic is Barbarian/Fighter/Kensei, of course.

Alraune wrote:

whitishknight wrote:

What's good about it? The Kensei passives?

willimm wrote:

Uh, there is still something so fundimentaly wrong about only using the PHBs and one item supplimental (albiet a fairly comprehensive one) only, esp. with the errata. I mean, come on, you really should be using at least ONE of the * Power supplimental books, a LOT of the meat and pudding for the classes came from this, and a fair few even came from Dragon Magazine. I'd compare your question to, say, asking if you should use your old shoe or a glass bottle to drive in a nail. Most people would rightfully answer "Get a hammer and don't try to fudge it with bad objects".

And in this case, the hammer is a D&D Insider subscription. I'd recommend getting one for the whole gaming group - this will really open up a lot of content for you and the group, so you and the others don't have to bother with asking questions or doing stuff based on really limited source material. And, if your DM was primarly relying on the (rather bad) MM1, this will open up a lot more new and interesting monsters for him to try out, so it's all good.

Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately it's the way the group is.

whitishknight wrote:

Alraune wrote:

whitishknight wrote:

What's good about it? The Kensei passives?

And the Fighter MC Feat (though I think that's from Martial Power), the Fighter triple-tap at E3, etc. Fighter has good striker support. Better if you can branch out, but still an improvement on Barbarian alone.

(googles)

There are a few guides from '08 and '09 that

didn't get F-bombed by the multiple board biffs.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/4e-character-optimization/threads/1452626

http://community.wizards.com/forum/4e-character-optimization/threads/1386816

http://community.wizards.com/forum/4e-character-optimization/threads/2259786

... this last one has a few more sources included.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.