El-Ron, The mind twister (Gnome, Mage Enchanter / Illusionist) (PEACH)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone !

After hesitating quite a long time, I decided to post my actual Lv 7 gnome mage called El-Ron.

I'm sure it needs some optimization so feel free to give me some advices !

Here is the rest of the group :

- a deva battlemind as the tank
- a dwarf priest mainly healing
- a goblin rogue with high mobility as the main striker

So you guessed it, I'm a full controller. My idea was to imply the more forced movement as possible. As we don't have a real high strike force, I have to find some inovative ways to deal damages or even knock them out, like pushing one in a pool and then make him prone and immobilized, head in the water ...

Well, here is my actual build :

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
El-Ron, level 7
Gnome, Wizard (Mage)
School: Enchantment School
School: Illusion School
Pact Initiate Option: Pact Initiate (fey pact)
Expert Mage Option: Enchantment School Expert
Background Benefit: Among Another Race (Kalashtar)
Birth - Among Another Race (Among Another Race (Kalashtar))
Theme: Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 8, DEX 13, INT 21, WIS 13, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 8, DEX 13, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 16

AC: 21 Fort: 13 Ref: 19 Will: 20
HP: 42 Surges: 5 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +17, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +14, History +13, Nature +9, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Athletics +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +2, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +7, Perception +4, Stealth +6, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Scholar Utility: Use Vulnerability
Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Attack 1: Phantom Chasm
Wizard Attack 1: Wizard's Fury
Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Wizard Attack 1: Grasping Shadows
Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism
Wizard Attack 1: Beguiling Strands
Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile
Warlock Attack 1: Eyebite
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Wizard Utility 2: Glib Tongue
Wizard Attack 3: Maze of Mirrors
Wizard Attack 3: Hypnotic Pattern
Wizard Attack 5: Tasha's Forcible Conscription
Wizard Attack 5: Visions of Avarice
Wizard Utility 6: Emerald Eye
Wizard Utility 6: Invisibility
Wizard Attack 7: Charm of the Defender
Wizard Attack 7: Phantom Foes

FEATS
Level 1: Pact Initiate
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Unarmored Agility
Level 6: Improved Defenses

ITEMS
Magic Staff +1 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
====== End ======

I'm planing to go EM as paragon path, and I'm still hesitating for the epic. As we give a major place to the RP, I may choose something that has to do with the destiny ot the knowledge (sage of ages).

Sorry for my approximative english !

And thanks to all those who made it to read it all !
RAW you can only start with one ability score below 10; plus, your super-low STR and CON lead to an abyssmal Fortitude. I would go 8/12/11/18/10/13. And are you dead set on Gnome? Tiefling opens up some wonderful feat possibilities.

Why not hold off on the Multiclass Warlock until closer to Paragon and take Superior Implement Proficiency (accurate staff)? 
Thanks darkwarlock !

I really like my Gnome, though I know Tiefling rocks as far as wizards (and warlocks) are concerned. As our play style is very RP, I like the Gnome's traits.

Concerning my ability scores, I've never been such lucky with dice rolls ... so I know I should have only 1 dump stat, but yet I have 2. I turned it into a "force" regarding my background.

Here's the short version. El-Ron's parents belong to a sect that was trying to get back to life an ancient chaotic god. He was supposed to come to life as the god but the experiment "failed" and they abandonned him. He was rescued and grown up by an order that was pursuing the members of the sect. Sent into a lost temple where no one was speaking he learned the art of arcana. But yet the experiments worked in some ways and gave him talents regarding mind control, though they made him really weak physically (poor STR and CON).

Regarding MC warlock, I've put it at first for RP purposes (he is linked in some ways to the demon he was supposed to be), but I could also take it later as "the demon in him" hasn't been revealed to the others yet.

Our DM isn't very item rewarding so I was hesitating regarding the choice of an item linked to specific items ! But the fact is it's really attractive ! Such as orbs are !
You rolled stats? Rolling stats is a really bad idea in 4e.
Our DM isn't very item rewarding so I was hesitating regarding the choice of an item linked to specific items ! But the fact is it's really attractive ! Such as orbs are !

If you're talking about an Accurate Staff, it's not a magic item itself, just a better form of a regular staff in the same way a bastard sword is a superior longsword. It's just something like 10gp instead of 5gp to buy a mundane one. Same with any other superior implements such as a Crystal Orb.
Yes we did roll stats, we wanted this adventure "old school" ! As fights are not happening that often, it's not a real problem. Most of the times we have the opportunity to solve the encounters with comps.

Thanks for clarifying the point about staves, orbs and other implements. But the fact is the shops our DM "offers" us are not supermarkets. This and playing with a dwarf and a goblin in the team ...

I may go for these superior implements feats. Was also wondering if there are feats that optimize forced movements ?

Well if you decide to go with orbs, Orb Expertise gives you a +1 to forced movement. You could also take the Controlling Advantage feat if you MC psion (you don't have to be MC warlock to be linked with a demon. Or say MC Psion = Warlock Mind Pact or something).

There are probably a couple other things out there. They're fiddly because some only work for pushes, some only work with melee or close attacks, etc.
Sign In to post comments