4e earthsoul genasi/best class option

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would appreciate any feedback on whether i should play a fighter or swordmage for a 4e campaign.

Id like to play a defender. If its more optimizable to build striker im ok with that to.

Or if you think there is a better class i should go with plz let me know. We start our campaign sat. Or sunday.

We have a dragonborn(acid)/paladin, halfling/rogue (thief), tiefling/warlord, and maybe an eladrin/wizard.

Plz give me references if possible.
Considering you do not speak about what you want to play, what you seek from the game at all, this is very hard to answer.

However, from that I am considering the option you might be kinda new to this game, and I would suggest you go with a shield and weapon (axe, flail or light blade) fighter. Swordmages tend to be a little more complex tactically.

If you want others to give you better advice, and perhaps have any idea what sort of references you are asking for, you need to speak about what style of play you like, what races you prefer (if any), if you are comfortable rewriting the descriptions on your chosen powers, etc.
Shielding swordmage would be my pick although the fighter might provide better skill support to the party since have the wizard for int/arcane.  Either way a divide and conquer strategy should work with the paladin marking as much as possible with the exception of a target that you, the rogue, and warlord are focusing.  The wizard controls the paladin marks or hits the group target as needed.
I would appreciate any feedback on whether i should play a fighter or swordmage for a 4e campaign. Id like to play a defender. If its more optimizable to build striker im ok with that to. Or if you think there is a better class i should go with plz let me know. We start our campaign sat. Or sunday. We have a dragonborn(acid)/paladin, halfling/rogue (thief), tiefling/warlord, and maybe an eladrin/wizard. Plz give me references if possible.

I wouldn't play a defender in this group, tbh. You seriously lack damage.
What level are you playing at, btw.? 
Party needs a ranged striker with a side of control and it doesn't need to be massively enabler friendly.

Sounds like a Ranged Ranger.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
But if you really want to play a defender you can do some fun stuff with either a Swordmage or a Fighter. Earthsoul can be good for semi-shenaigans with their racial. You can take a feat to make it reliable and eithe ruse a dump stat to use another feat to make it a near constant source of temp HP or use it to make yourself more "sticky".

That said, as others have pointed out, the party already has a defender and is lacking in Ranged Damage. If you want to stick with Genasi a Con-based Warlock would work, though Stormsoul is a better striker manifestation.
You also need to bolster the wisdom in the party, so Ranged Ranger certainly seems like the best fit. You probably want Elf or Human.

If you're set on Earthsoul Genasi, the thing to do would be a Headsman's Chop build. You could consider Fighter|Barbarian, Fighter|Cleric, Barbarian|Cleric, or Barbarian|Swordmage. Straight up Fighter can also be built as a striker, but hybriding will just make it better, since you don't care so much about marking.

If you are a new player, just go with Ranged Ranger, simplest to build and play while you learn the game, and your party could use one.
Or a ranged Thief (or Rogue) or a Slayer with thrown weapons (who could then melee or range, depending on the situation.)

You people need to give more options than just Ranged Ranger.  Talk about boring.  At least one other people felt this way, too and suggested a CON-based Warlock.  Kudos!
Or a ranged Thief (or Rogue) or a Slayer with thrown weapons (who could then melee or range, depending on the situation.)

You people need to give more options than just Ranged Ranger.  Talk about boring.  At least one other people felt this way, too and suggested a CON-based Warlock.  Kudos!

But this party needs damage, so adding another E-Striker doesn't make too much sense.

They already had a thief, so I didn't want to suggest another, and having both a thief and a rogue seems redundant. And one of the Fighter hybrids will likely serve better than a Slayer so I did suggest that.

Ranged Ranger may be boring to us, but not necessarily to a new player, and it's undoubtedly effective. You could also try a Ranged Ranger|Cleric or Ranger|Seeker or something, but there just aren't very many options that are ranged strikers with some wisdom, which is whatthe party needs.

I would find out what the thief in the party is wanting to do. If he plans to toss daggers (guessing he is a dagger thief cause he is halfling) around I most likely would make a two weapon ranger with a spiked chain. If the thief plans to be a close up back stabber I would make a bow ranger/ Ranged Sorceror/ or ranged warlock.