Revenant (Tiefling) Fighter|Rogue/Daring Blade (PEACH)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like feedback on this paragon+ defender|striker.  It's a revenant (tiefling) fighter|rogue/daring blade, using the new Vigilante theme.  It uses Mark of the Vigilante to mark on every melee attack.  It uses the Daring Blade paragon path to convert all martial melee attacks to Charisma (both attack rolls and damage bonuses), thereby reducing multiple attribute dependency.  It uses fighter hybrid to pick up Combat Challenge, and then it basically tries to use rogue powers to attack whenever possible, for sneak attack bonus.  The typical at-will is Riposte Strike, for a nice double-bind.  It also has the pieces for a decent daily nova: Knockout -> Bloodbath -> Low Slash.  Tiefling for Tail Trip, which makes him sticky, and revenant for epic tier giggles.

I know it's not as good a striker as a pure rogue even, and it's not as good a defender as a pure fighter (but Riposte Strike is nice), but I hope it's at least decent on both fronts at once.  I'll post a build at level 11, when it comes online.  The build is LFR legal, so its gear follows LFR creation guidelines.

Level 11 Revenant (Tiefling) Fighter|Rogue/Daring Blade

level 11

Revenant, Rogue/Fighter, Daring Blade

Hybrid Talent Option: Fighter Armor Proficiency

Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling

Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

Theme: Vigilante

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 11, CON 18, DEX 16, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 10, CON 15, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 17

AC: 29 Fort: 22 Ref: 23 Will: 25

HP: 85 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +11, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Intimidate +18, Stealth +11, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +4, Athletics +3, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +9, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +5, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +4, Streetwise +11

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping

Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge

Bard Feature: Majestic Word

Vigilante Utility: Mark of the Vigilante

Fighter Attack 1: Threatening Rush

Rogue Attack 1: Riposte Strike

Fighter Attack 1: Goading Maneuver

Fighter Attack 1: Tempest Dance

Rogue Utility 2: Tumble

Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash

Rogue Attack 3: Darting Strike

Rogue Attack 5: Bloodbath

Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar

Rogue Attack 9: Knockout

Fighter Utility 10: Fighter's Grit

Daring Blade Attack 11: Weapon Display

FEATS

Level 1: Light Blade Expertise

Level 2: Hybrid Talent

Level 4: Nimble Blade

Level 6: Backstabber

Level 8: Bardic Dilettante

Level 10: Melee Training (Charisma)

Level 11: Tail Trip

ITEMS

Jagged Rapier +3 x1

Imposter's Wyvernscale Armor +3 x1

Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1

Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1

Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1

Belt of Vigor (heroic tier) x1

Dagger of Long Range +1

Feedback is appreciated.  Thanks!
Cool. Pretty much what I would have expected with a use of the Vigilante Theme.

This build has a lot of room for feat growth - I would consider working in Midnight Blade Student for a free +1 AC/Ref every time you spam Riposte Strike, and where it not LFR, also take Mark of Warding. That awful E11 also needs to be reserve manuvered away asap.

Also, you're not really gaining all that much with Revenant Tiefling. I'd run this with a pixie and park him above the enemy's space directly. 
Riposte Strike and Combat Challenge are conflicting, since both lock your IA.

I'd really drop that theme. You already have enough marking, it's really not that good for this build.

Opportunity Action =/= Opportunity Attack. So, Tail Trip should not apply to Darting Strike.
Thanks, RenZhe and pinkisthenewred.

Cool. Pretty much what I would have expected with a use of the Vigilante Theme.

This build has a lot of room for feat growth - I would consider working in Midnight Blade Student for a free +1 AC/Ref every time you spam Riposte Strike, and where it not LFR, also take Mark of Warding. That awful E11 also needs to be reserve manuvered away asap.

Also, you're not really gaining all that much with Revenant Tiefling. I'd run this with a pixie and park him above the enemy's space directly. 

Yeah, the build is feat-starved.  He still needs defense correction, and Red Cloak Student (not Midnight Blade) is definitely on the list, as is Reserve Maneuver.  Also, I want Secrets of Belial -> Eagle's Splendor, maybe even soon enough to postpone Backstabber or Nimble Blade.

I hadn't thought about pixie--that's a wicked idea.  It wouldn't work so well for large+ sized creatures, though, or those few instances when I want to or can mark multiple creatures.  Half-elf is another idea, mainly to save a feat (Melee Training) via Dilettante.

I'd really drop that theme. You already have enough marking, it's really not that good for this build.

Opportunity Action =/= Opportunity Attack. So, Tail Trip should not apply to Darting Strike.

Right, it kind of stinks that Riposte Strike's riposte is an immediate action, but I had kind of resigned myself to marking just one creature at a time, mostly.  It gets even worse if I replace Kirre's Roar with Eagle's Splendor (via Secrets of Belial), and I can't take any close attack powers (e.g., Come and Get It), as those aren't affected by the Daring Blade F11.  Using an action point to mark and get temps (Daring Blade AP feature) seems like a waste of a standard action too.  All of that led me to think that the Vigilante utility power would be really useful, especially because the main goal is to use rogue attack powers whenever possible, and otherwise he has basically no good way to mark.

Yeah, I know that Tail Trip won't affect Darting Strike.  I like Tail Trip mainly because it makes him hard to get away from.  But maybe you and RenZhe are right that it's not such a big deal.  Still, maybe Tail Trip + Secrets of Belial + other tiefling support is nice?
Bracers of Mental Might will give you CaGI, if you want it.

Ooh, nice.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'm usually so fixated on Iron Armbands of Power that I forget all other options for that slot.  Embarassed

Ooh, nice.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'm usually so fixated on Iron Armbands of Power that I forget all other options for that slot.  

Note that Bracers of Mental Might say roll, not rolls.

There's no particular reason that this build couldn't be an 18 Dex/Cha start and therefore be functional in Heroic - and that will help with ranged attacks, which may be necessary at some point.

Wouldn't the theme guarantee his catch-22 MBA from Combat Challenge/Riposte Strike? Or is this from the point of view that at-wills won't be as useful as encounter powers for a character that should, as per CharOp, only optimize rounds 1 through 3?
It's Vigilante that makes this workable. If you can't mark with Riposte Strike, there's not much point to the build. 

Note that Bracers of Mental Might say roll, not rolls.

There's no particular reason that this build couldn't be an 18 Dex/Cha start and therefore be functional in Heroic - and that will help with ranged attacks, which may be necessary at some point.

Good catches, thanks.  It sounds like Bracers of Mental Might falls prey to the 'attack' ambiguity (power or roll?), and the last word being singular ('roll' instead of 'rolls') tells us that they meant 'attack roll'.  Oh well.

That's a good point about reshuffling for heroic, thanks.  In LFR, where you can retrain everything at every level, it wouldn't be so hard, and the build would be decent, though not good enough to warrant playing in a campaign that never reaches paragon.  It would be harder with the usual retraining rules in place, especially as Riposte Strike's riposte is Strength-based.

Wouldn't the theme guarantee his catch-22 MBA from Combat Challenge/Riposte Strike? Or is this from the point of view that at-wills won't be as useful as encounter powers for a character that should, as per CharOp, only optimize rounds 1 through 3?

Yeah, that's why I think Vigilante really makes this work, to mark on rogue attacks (including encounter powers and daily powers, not just at-wills, nice as Riposte Strike is).  Before Vigilante came out I thought about something like Warden|Rogue, but then you've got multiple attribute dependency.  Also, the build chose multi-target fighter powers, for those situations where I can't get combat advantage and/or marking multiple creatures is a lot more important than the double-bind.
Bracers of Mental Might only applying to the attack roll is irrelevant for CaGI, CaGI doesn't get +Str to the damage roll.
Bracers of Mental Might only applying to the attack roll is irrelevant for CaGI, CaGI doesn't get +Str to the damage roll.

I meant that Bracers of Mental Might is limited to one attack roll out of all the possible attack rolls you might make through Come and Get It.  If so, that makes those bracers much less appealing.  Is that not the right reading of the item power?  I.e., should its conversion from Strength to Charisma apply for every attack roll made through Come and Get It, or just one of them?
Sign In to post comments