Plate wearing warlock?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
hey all, so i've decided to try and experiment around with a character take i'm doing which is essentially a warlock but wearing plate armor and eventually using a scimitar or a heavyblade type weapon, essentially if any of you are familiar with the Warhammer Universe ( old world version) i am trying to make a imitation of Malekith, the Witch King the Dark Elve leader.

there are only three thigns i'm deadset on not changing and that's 1.) must be either drow or revenant/ past-life drow ( i liked the latter for story.) ...2.) dark pact fits the story better, and 3.) preferbly built around using a sword or heavy blade as stated.
Refluffing is your friend.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
^This.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Be a Paladin|Warlock hybrid, hybrid talent for Paladin armor/Shield. Gets you proficiency with military heavy blades and plate armor.
Yep, paladin|warlock is a good way to go. Take powers based on charisma. A pure warlock in plate armor is just not going to work in 4e.
Yep, paladin|warlock is a good way to go. Take powers based on charisma. A pure warlock in plate armor is just not going to work in 4e.

Cavalier|Warlock(with +4 on Init option) can be good as well if you're not going anywhere near Epic.
Another option is the darth vader build (SM instead of Paladin) with refluffing the AC as your plate armor.
I'd echo the paladin|warlock hybrid comments. Theoretically, blackguard|warlock or cavalier|warlock would also work for gaining the plate + martial weapon proficiencies you want, but would probably be a less effective package overall unless your party already has plenty of defender / leader contributions and just wants MOAR DAMAGE in which case blackguard could make a valid argument. If you want to use your heavy blade as an implement to channel your warlock blasts so you can use a heavy shield in your offhand, there are a couple feats (swordmage multiclass or arcane implement proficency) that can solve that too.
 here's what i have so far.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30
Revenant, Warlock
Build: Deceptive Warlock
Eldritch Pact: Dark Pact
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Choose your Race in Life: Drow

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 22, Wis 10, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18.

AC: 40 Fort: 35 Reflex: 37 Will: 40
HP: 172 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 48

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +20, Bluff +28, Arcana +26, Intimidate +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Diplomacy +23, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +17, Heal +15, History +21, Nature +15, Perception +15, Religion +21, Stealth +15, Streetwise +23, Thievery +15, Athletics +14

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Scimitar)
Level 4: Armor Specialization: (Hide)
Level 6: Armor Specialization: (Chainmail)
Levle 8: Armor Specialization: (Scale)
Level 10: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 11: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 12: Twofold Pact
Level 14: Twofold Curse
Level 16: White Lotus Riposte
Level 18: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 20: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Level 21: Drow Soul
Level 22: Cursed Spells
Level 24: ???
Levle 26:???
Level 28:???
Level 30:???

POWERS
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Strike
Warlock encounter 1: Cursebite
Warlock daily 1: Decree of Khirad
Warlock utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock encounter 3: Your Delicious Weakness
Warlock daily 5: Curse of the Bloody Fangs
Warlock utility 6: Life Siphon
Warlock encounter 7: Shadow Strangler
Warlock daily 9: Ring of Pain
Warlock utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Warlock encounter 13: Cursegrind (replaces Cursebite)
Warlock daily 15: Dark Lady's Gift (replaces Curse of the Bloody Fangs)
Warlock utility 16: Eye of the Warlock
Warlock encounter 17: Your Delectable Pain (replaces Your Delicious Weakness)
Warlock daily 19: Passionate Betrayal (replaces Decree of Khirad)
Warlock utility 22: Entropic Ward
Warlock encounter 23: Web of Lies (replaces Shadow Strangler)
Warlock daily 25: Ring of Torment (replaces Ring of Pain)
Warlock encounter 27: Banish to the Void (replaces Your Delectable Pain)
Warlock daily 29: Caiphon's Abominable Melody (replaces Dark Lady's Gift)

ITEMS
Chaos Weave Scimitar +6, Rhythm Blade Dagger +6, Amulet of Vigor +6, Demonwrought Plate Armor +6, Warlock's Bracers (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Hands of Hadar (epic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Kartan's Void Ring (epic tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Belt of the Witch King (paragon tier), Demonskin Tattoo (epic tier)
oh Paladin/Warlock sounds nice,  yea sorry i just posted that build before refreshing the page to see people had responded already lol
Warlock|Battlemind can do some fun things too, if you can get over the weapon\implement issues.
 here's what i have so far.

There's a lot wrong with this. Not just "bad choice" wrong, but "completely illegal" wrong. For example, you wanted armor proficiency feats, not armor specialization feats, and you need higher stats to qualify for all of those. But you'd never want to do any of that in the first place...

I strongly recommend you hold off on building level 30 characters and read over the character creation and other basic rules again. Then maybe stick to heroic tier stuff until you have that down.
yea well i guess i got the proficiency feats wrong, but i'm using an old CB so alot of stuff is not listed on it and i just have to remember feats/powers from memory and right them down on paper, i guess i got armor spec and armor prof feats mixed up...and i was only  building a level 30 character as a way of having a clearcut guideline of what to follow as i level the "real" character up... you didn't honestly think i would start off the bat as level 30 -_-
Echoing most of the recommendations in here, Paladin|Warlock seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Plate for free, heavy blade no problem, and very synergistic class powers/features.
Echoing most of the recommendations in here, Paladin|Warlock seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Plate for free the cost of a feat, heavy blade no problem spending a feat to use it as an implement, and very synergistic class powers/features.

Fixed that for you.
heavy blade no problem spending a feat to use it as an implement, and very synergistic class powers/features.

Fixed that for you.

Sword-as-implement isn't really necessary for the build.  IIRC, Malekith doesn't use his sword for spellcasting, he uses it to stab people.
Echoing most of the recommendations in here, Paladin|Warlock seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Plate for free the cost of a feat, heavy blade no problem spending a feat to use it as an implement, and very synergistic class powers/features.

Fixed that for you.

Actually most Paladin|Warlocks should take DPE and use a weapon enchant that is also a Holy Symbol. So not necessarily an issue.