Can a paladin be optimized as a healer

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed that the paladin has alot of healing abilities that restore HP and give THP,so i was wondering how good of a healer once can be or will it fall short of other healers and turn useless
Paladins can be strong at healing and save-granting. Doesn't make them good leaders, tho. Hospitaler PP may be worth a look, if you want to go that route.
Hospitaler has a strong healing feature, especially combined with Weakining Challenge from level 21 onwards and Lay on Hands has good support that includes granting saving throws. Hero's Poise and Dispater's Iron Discipline with something like Superior Will or Martial Resolve can be combined to make Saving Throws trivial for the party.

Just keep in my what pink said, a true leader brings/should bring more to the table than just healing.
But in roleplaying terms make excellent leaders, especially when they are cha based.

Is there a good theme to help the healing?
Knight Hospitaler.

A Paladin can be the only healer in a party, yes. This will result in the party having take self-healing options (Invigorating Stride, Dwarf as a race for minor action second winds, etc.) to help out, particularly at low levels when you can only have 4 LoH per day. Leaders are not healers, though, that isn't the conceptual place they have in 4e. Leaders are force multipliers.
A Paladin can do an exceptional job at keeping the leader flush with actions (to a certain extent) early on in combats, which can be invaluable.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Don't optimize healing. Increase healing as necessary but don't "optimize" for it
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
A Defender with strong healing capabilities (and Paladins, especially Hospitaliers, excel at this) can allow the Leader to focus on the offense. Which is far more effective imho than, say, a high damage Defender paired with a Healic.
Leaders are not healers, though, that isn't the conceptual place they have in 4e. Leaders are force multipliers.

I think that is one area where they made a mistake in the early 4E design, giving all the Leaders a healing class power. I understand the reasoning, if you give the healing for free it lets players pick other more interesting powers, but I think it sent a message to a lot of people that Leaders were healers. They really should have varied the class powers for Leaders a bit, to showcase different aspects of the Leader role.
I played a paladin as the sole leader, healer and defender in a three PC party; it worked pretty well.  I've appended the build below; caveats:  (1) this build is not opped for healing, but it has a lot, and (2) the magic items are a bit nonstandard due to the campaign

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kali, level 12
Tiefling, Paladin, Questing Knight
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 9, INT 11, WIS 17, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 17

AC: 31 Fort: 26 Ref: 21 Will: 28
HP: 98 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +17, Insight +16, Intimidate +20, Religion +11, Streetwise +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +6, Athletics +2, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +5, Heal +9, History +6, Nature +9, Perception +9, Stealth +3, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
Bard Feature: Majestic Word
Feat Utility: In Death, Life
Paladin Attack 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Virtue
Paladin Attack 3: Hold Fast
Paladin Attack 5: Hallowed Circle
Bard Utility 6:  Revitalizing Incantation (Acolyte Power)
Paladin Attack 7: Divine Reverence
Paladin Attack 9: Ray of Reprisal
Paladin Utility 10: Benediction
Questing Knight Attack 11: Strength of Ten
Questing Knight Utility 12: Quester's Discipline

FEATS
Level 1: Imperious Majesty
Level 2: Bardic Dilettante
Level 4: In Death, Life
Level 6: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Superior Fortitude
Level 11: Superior Will
Level 12: Hero's Poise

ITEMS
Potion of Healing
Magic Longsword +2 x1
The Raven Queen's Shroud (level 8)
Black Feather of the Raven Queen +2 x1
Greaves of Maldeen x1
Diamond Cincture (heroic tier) x1
Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1
Crest of Vigilance Eternal x1
Greater Storm Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1
Savage Plate Armor +3 x1
====== End ======

I think that is one area where they made a mistake in the early 4E design, giving all the Leaders a healing class power. I understand the reasoning, if you give the healing for free it lets players pick other more interesting powers,

Not only that, but they wanted a large variety of characters to all heal, so that you didn't have the every-other-D&D problem of  "someone is stuck being the cleric", or the D20 problem of "in order to make being stuck with the healbot less bad, we accidentally made them unstoppable gods if they just ignore healing entirely".

So, you have 4E, where every single character has at least one Encounter heal and a good chance of being able to heal someone else, *and then* there are more healing powers available to almost every class, *and then* there are a wide variety of classes for many playstyles that are really good healers.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Sign In to post comments