help me and my caracther!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

hello friends, first thing im sorry english is not my 1st language but please help me by look in to my characther!
it is my second one and my dm telling me we have new characthers start in level 5 so i make a vampyre how i always wanted to. I used a characther builder tool so I think is optimised but yesterday i get killed in like 2 or 3 places but luckly i survive... for now
my dm only laughing on me and say vampires are not so good and maybe i need to make a new guy but i wanted to play one so I know if mayb some way i can make him not so much sucking???

He is taking stealth because he need to be sneaky and I like to suprise things
i take strength and dext because im want to be strong and fast like a real vampire but im not sure if it is good to take this?

When i look in at the power part of builder i dont have too much choices, there is only like 2 choice so im like wtf?? :[
maybe i took the wrong one?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gumpi, level 5
Shadar-kai, Vampire
Occupation - Foe Killer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 15, INT 16, WIS 11, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 13, WIS 11, CHA 10

AC: 20 Fort: 18 Ref: 13 Will: 13
HP: 42 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, History +10, Stealth +11, Thievery +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +5, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +0, Heal +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +5, Streetwise +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Shadar-kai Racial Power: Shadow Jaunt
Vampire Attack: Blood Drinker
Vampire Attack 1: Swarm of Shadows
Vampire Attack 1: Dark Beckoning
Vampire Attack 1: Taste of Life
Vampire Attack 1: Vampire Slam
Vampire Utility 2: Charming Gaze
Vampire Attack 3: Feral Assault
Vampire Utility 4: Strength of Blood
Vampire Attack 5: Unfettered Hunger

FEATS
Level 1: Headsman's Chop
Level 2: Doom of Jiksidur
Level 4: Hidden Sniper

ITEMS
Scythe
Plate Armor x1
Dagger x1
Holy Symbol x1
====== End ======

In general, Vampire is horrible. I would use Vryloka, the race, and pick a different class. 
I actually think it can be really...flavorful...there are definitely many downsides to most Essentials classes, but there are usually ways to make them work.

Here's my attempt:

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gumpi, level 5
Revenant, Vampire
Tuathan Starting Feature Option: Continue the Story
Tuathan Level 5 Feature Option: The Tables Are Turned
Choose your Race in Life: Half-Elf
Wandering Mercenary (Wandering Mercenary Benefit)
Theme: Tuathan

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 19, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 17
HP: 43 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, History +6, Stealth +11, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Athletics +2, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +8, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +1, Streetwise +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Vampire Attack: Blood Drinker
Vampire Attack 1: Swarm of Shadows
Vampire Attack 1: Dark Beckoning
Vampire Attack 1: Taste of Life
Vampire Attack 1: Vampire Slam
Vampire Utility 2: Hunter's Gaze
Tuathan Utility 2: Tuathan Animal Shape
Vampire Attack 3: Feral Assault
Vampire Attack 5: Unfettered Hunger

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Holy Symbol Expertise
Level 4: Disciple of Death

ITEMS
Holy Symbol x1
Dagger
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
Scythe x1
====== End ======

Clearly, you are no longer Shadar-Kai...you could change that back if you want, but I suggest you use a Dexterity/Charisma race since those are your main stats. (you can call him "strong" if you want, but dont actually put his stats in Str)

As it is right now, when you fall under 0 hp, you will stay up until you roll a 1-3 (you have a +6 to your death saving throws). I see you currently have no magic items (or haven't added them), either way, if you're going to go with a revenant build, make sure to pick up "Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness" at level 6. It will give you resist 10 to all damage (which will also essentially make you immune to sunlight), and significantly boost survivability. Add the level 2 Hanted Armor on top of this (+2 to death saving throws), and you will only ever go unconcious if you row a 1.

As an added bonus for picking the Tuathan theme, you get to pick the Tuathan Animal Shape utility, allowing you to turn into a bat with a broken wing (it has to be a nonflying tiny creature). But then at level 10 you have the option of picking a flying tiny creature instead and gaining flight 6 while in that form (your wing heals?).
Maybe you should stick to asking questions instead of trying to answer them and encourage a new-ish player to play something that is literally incapable of doing it's job properly past level 5.

Gumpy121: If you like the idea of a vampire as a bloodsucking creature of the night, just play a Vryloka fighter (str/cha) or monk (dex/cha). You'll still be a Vampire hitting people in melee, but you'll be effective at killing your enemies with brutal blows.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sorry

I figured he wanted to be a vampire... 
Right, but there's a difference between "helping" and "telling people what you think they want to hear". This isn't Law where you earn points for getting people to use what you said, more like architecture where there's multiple right answers (with varrying degree's of 'better') and tons of wrong answers.

The Vampire Class is so bad it doesn't even get its damage bonus on non-class powers, so it's not even savable with the better races or PPs.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Thank you bullgaria for helping i will try and make youre caracther today and see how i survive!
i have some question though..
1. how can i find Tuathan. is it race?
2. u dont take any armor but have the same ac like me in plate. its possible?
3. is dagger good weapon or need some shield to not get killed?

and zathris ty for for telling me i know my vampyre sucking (joke haha) so i came here to try and see if mayb i make some kind of mistake when i made him. If i keep being kill i will try and make fighter like u say :p

and dm tell me no magic item yet  
Thank you bullgaria for helping i will try and make youre caracther today and see how i survive!

and zathris ty for for telling me i know my vampyre sucking (joke haha) so i came here to try and see if mayb i make some kind of mistake when i made him. If i keep being killed i will try and make fighter like u say :p

Vryloka are vampires:the race, if you have your heart set on playing a vampire, go ahead, it is nearly impossible to make a mistake with them as they have no decisions to make, but they suck, and suck hard.  You will die and die frequently as a vampire and will get comparatively weaker with each passing level.

If the flavor of being a vampire is enough for you, then fine, get an accurate implement feat, and durable so you have an additional surge to bank on, but fights will either be incredibly long slogs of you barely doing enough damage to get kill something or you dieing to an mm3 monster.  
1: Tuathan is a Theme.

2: If you;re in light armour, you add your DEX or INT modifier to your AC.

3: Two different questions.  Daggers are fine for some classes, not for others.  For a Vampire they're pretty pointless as standard, because you have no attacks with the Weapon keyword, you use an implement (usualyl a Ki Focus or Holy Symbol) for almost all your attacks.  if your AC and Reflex are decent you don't need a shield, but on this class, you can't use them anyway.

I'd respectfully suggest, however, that you READ THE RULES before going too much further.  If you don't know basics like DEX-to-AC, you will not be well-treated in these CharOp forums.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

and zathris ty for for telling me i know my vampyre sucking (joke haha) so i came here to try and see if mayb i make some kind of mistake when i made him. If i keep being killed i will try and make fighter like u say :p

Vryloka are vampires:the race, if you have your heart set on playing a vampire, go ahead, it is nearly impossible to make a mistake with them as they have no decisions to make, but they suck, and suck hard.  You will die and die frequently as a vampire and will get comparatively weaker with each passing level.

If the flavor of being a vampire is enough for you, then fine, get an accurate implement feat, and durable so you have an additional surge to bank on, but fights will either be incredibly long slogs of you barely doing enough damage to get kill something or you dieing to an mm3 monster.  

ok ty friend i ask dm 'what to play?" he tell me everyone is balance class and pick what i like so i pick vampyre, and when keep dieing i think i make some kind mistake in my caracther but now i know is vampyre just is bad! i will make mayb fightervampre vryloka hybrid :P
If you're skilled, it is possible to make a vampire almost work. I've got a vampire build that typically does 50 damage on a hit at 13th, gains 3 surges per combat, and has a nova that does about 120.

But his DPR is only around 31, so he doesn't match CharOp expectations. He doesn't have any special movement, so he's going to have to work to make things happen. He would be playable in most games, but wouldn't be particularly interesting.

You're(the OP) are new to the game. Don't play a hybrid Fighter|Vampire or any other kind of vampire. Just make it a Vryloka Fighter and you're done...

I have to agree with spaceinvader that you really need to learn the rules better if you want to make a good character. Not all classes can even use plate armor, and even if they could, it is not automatically the best. A vampire in plate armor will have a -2 penalty to Attack and Reflex because it does not have proficiency. Vampires cannot use shields either, and they don't attack with weapons - they use a ki focus or holy symbol.

You really need to understand the rules before you can build a character. I know this might be difficult if English is not your first language, but maybe your DM or another player in your group can help you go over the basics.
If you're skilled, it is possible to make a vampire almost work.....

You're(the OP) are new to the game. Don't play a hybrid Fighter|Vampire or any other kind of vampire. Just make it a Vryloka Fighter and you're done...

And this is the crux of it. I've seen a couple of vampires in play be passable in the hands of more skilled players, but there's not much room for error in playing them. For a class that basically builds itself, they're pretty fiddly in play if you're not with a good group.
good to see this thread isn't about a vampiric catheter
That's a scary thought.
Sign In to post comments