ED advice for Eladrin TacLord|SM

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

I’m looking for some epic destiny/build advice for an Eladrin Taclord.  The character is a hybrid Assault Swordmage with the Spiral Tactician PP.  Eladrin Swordmage Advance and the Assault Aegis provide extra free/out-of-turn attacks to keep up damage potential while still doing much of what a tradition TacLord does.  The character also has the frost package.

I considered three EDs:  Planeshaper, Warmaster, and Winter Sovereign but decided on Planeshaper largely because of the ability to recharge Fey Step right away at level 21 through Ultimate Adaption.  This would provide an extra use of Fey Step per encounter which means an additional ESA attack and another round of Feywild Protection.

Other than the 26th level utility from Warmaster, the PP seems underwhelming, as surprise is situational and Shock and Awe generates a benefit essentially every other encounter and on another character’s next turn as opposed to the every encounter MBA I would gain from Ultimate Adaption on Fey Step.  The question here is about the U26 & CF30 working off action points.  I’ve seen some posts recently on gaining more action points than normal so can I work something into this character to make these powers useable more often?

For Winter Sovereign, Lingering Cold could provide a higher vulnerability than Lasting Frost but it takes a round to set up and requires some powers with status effects to save against which the character really doesn’t have (currently just Spiral of Fey Death).  I was having a hard time quantifying the overall damage bump I might generate from the features/powers of this ED.  If someone has experience playing this ED and please comment.

Finally, are there any other ways to recharge Fey Step I can add on to this character?

I'm shocked you think a 2nd use a Fey Step every encounter is better than granting an ally an extra Standard Action every other encounter. An extra Striker Standard Action is another bloodied enemy, an extra Controller Standard Action is another 2 enemies that can't attack that round, it's a MASSIVE benefit if your party has half decent characters. There's ways of gaining more Action Points, and unless your DM is a jerk, you should have at least some skill challenges counting toward milestones, so you are really getting closer to 2 APs for every 3 encounters, or better.

Even with taking Planeshaper, if you were going to Ultimate Adaptation something, it should be the likes of Hail of Steel, Impromptu Attack, or Dimensional Vortex.

You aren't a Striker, don't take Winter Sovereign.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
There's no controller and the best striker is a rogue - some rounds I do just as much damage, esp since I miss less.  It's not that the 2nd Fey Step is better, it's that I get it at 21 vs 26 for the Warmaster option, so I overweighted Planeshaper.
The other great thing about Planeshaper is the +2 to int. Boosts your swordmage powers and all those warlord riders (which a Spiral Tactician particularly has lots of). It might even be worth taking Intelligent Blademaster after that (+1 to hit and damage on MBAs is a good feat if you make lots of MBAs).

I agree with Zathris that there are better powers to use Ultimate Adaptation on though.
Question on Planeshaper Astral Seed:

If an enemy has been sent to the AS due to a crit, then the party goes there via Planar Refuge (say on an AP), is it essentially a beat down on that monster for the next round until everyone comes back to reality at the start of my next turn?  
Sign In to post comments