Binder|Vampire Hybrid: Two bad classes make one good class?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im thinking about it and it makes sense. They both run well off of Dex/Cha. Vampire is a beefy front line character who makes good use of the Hybrid Binder's Pact boon and can hit somewhat hard. Binder gives the Vampire some options beyond being a second rate Essentials Striker. You could build this character as a mix of control and melee damage not unlike a Beast Druid, and it would work along the same lines. It's a little feat intensive and level 1 might be a little rough, but I think this might actually work.
...whatever
..and you posted your 5 sentence thought because it would do what, exactly?

If your goal is to start a discussion, why not make a build, post it? That would force you, prior to posting, to give some consideration to your posts, and instead of musing, you'd know whether it was viable by some measure, or not.

Just off the cuff, with no build made, i'd say the drawbacks of either class prohibit a hybrid from  getting anywhere near what I would consider "good".

Then again, I also do not think the beast druid is particularly impressive. However, it would be interesting to see why you think otherwise, and what you would like to do with this idea. 
As with everything Binderly, there's basically nothing it can do that a purestrain Warlock can't do better.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
..and you posted your 5 sentence thought because it would do what, exactly?

If your goal is to start a discussion, why not make a build, post it? That would force you, prior to posting, to give some consideration to your posts, and instead of musing, you'd know whether it was viable by some measure, or not.

Just off the cuff, with no build made, i'd say the drawbacks of either class prohibit a hybrid from  getting anywhere near what I would consider "good".

Then again, I also do not think the beast druid is particularly impressive. However, it would be interesting to see why you think otherwise, and what you would like to do with this idea. 

Wasn't so much that the beast Druid is impressive, but that it is functional and much better than anything the Vampire or Binder can do on their own. As for the thought, its 5am here and I'm barely awake. I'm not really up for a build right now, just expressing a thought.

...whatever
What a straight up warlock brings is curse, mostly. Since you have access to vampire slam, at first glance you wouldn't be interested in eldritch strike.  However, 2d6 is better than Cha, and 3d8 better that Cha + 4.

I guess if you go for a more or less permanently hidden tactic, you won't have to depend on your allies too much to just hand you surges, and instead can just have them get hit instead of you. As with any vampire build, it works as long as the DM sets the environment to not be too damaging for you, and as long as the rest of the party is relatively sturdy.

(I am well aware my experiences with vampires requiring other party members to donate surges are personal, and not empirical, but that negative experience alone makes me hesitant to call any variety of the vampire "good")
I'd bet the combo would be better than the single classes Binder and Vampire, but I'd attribute it mostly to the fact that Essentials classes in general, and Binder in particular, tend to be better as hybrids. Their best features are preserved (as with vampire) and they go off the rails laid out for the pure classes.
As with everything Binderly, there's basically nothing it can do that a purestrain Warlock can't do better.

But what about intelligence modifier damage on touch of command?
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Seriously asking?

Because between the Cha and Dex requirements of the two classes chosen, the Int score couldn't possibly be high enough to make that argument by any means interesting. 
I believe it was sarcasm.

And frankly, the failure of the vampire was never really class feautres, it was godawful powers.

So you gain godawful powers, you lose Warlock class features to gain something...Worse than a warlock. SURPRISE! 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Because the vampire powers are awful. The only time a vampire works is as a multi-class. Then you deal with the few good things out of the vampire (namely the regen) Without having to deal with the powers at all. That said if you multi-class into vampire you have to invest in chr. for regen to work and have to spend feats to gain the abulity to drain surges off enemies.

Sign In to post comments