Taking Over an NPC

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay in our current game our dm is letting us take over a npc each that we rescued from a dragons lair. I have been given a knight that has lost his Way and has temper issues and was thinking a hybrid Paladin/Barbarian could be amusing. Were Level 4 at the moment and so far ive got something like this :-

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sir Malloran, level 4
Dragonborn, Barbarian|Paladin
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Dragonborn Subrace: Standard Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Background: Society - Noble (+2 to Diplomacy)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 21 Fort: 18 Reflex: 14 Will: 17
HP: 46 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +13, Athletics +11, Intimidate +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +1, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +1, Heal +2, History +3, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth, Streetwise +6, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mighty Crusader Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Strike of Hope
Hybrid at-will 1: Devastating Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Savage Cut
Hybrid daily 1: Tyrant's Rage
Hybrid utility 2: Baleful Glance
Hybrid encounter 3: Fortune Spurned Smite

ITEMS
Verve Plate Armor +1, Talon Amulet +1, Kord's Mighty Strength (level 3), Adventurer's Kit, Sentinel Marshal Honor Blade Fullblade +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Any Tips to make this better he will most likely be used as backup defender and striker not stuck on anything but the race so all ideas welcome
It's not really worth it to hybrid barbarian just to reflect that he loses his temper. Hybrids will almost always be a weaker choice unless you're going for a particular synergy between the classes.

I'd go full paladin and just take a couple barbarian-ish powers like Blood of the Mighty and maybe a couple Blackguard powers. Roleplay them up like fits of rage. You could even retrain them later if you want to show that he eventually finds his way again.
I'm guessing since you are assuming an NPC that this is temporary? If so it's reasonable to assume you will never hit level 8 so why not go 17/15 instead of 16/16? and just chuck the extra point in dex that isn't doing anything. Better to end up with a 20 and 18 than two 19s

... our dm is letting us take over a npc each ...

... Any Tips ... so all ideas welcome

Companion Characters are a whole lot less work
for everyone involved --- the DM, you, the party.
www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

You could also make it a Berserker (They function ok in low-mid heroic).  That would be a good "in class" way of showing someone losing their shiz.

But, in general, companion characters should stay as RP elements and not be a major part of what is going on mechanically. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
CC with (level - 1) to the party, is a net loss.

CC with (equal level) to the party but with the "suggested" "maybe" nerfs
are a smidge worse than the average monster, but potentially buffed
by the party Leader, which is better than monster buffing.  Even 50/50.

CC with (level + 1) to the party, is a net gain, though with so many
fewer action options,  Boring compared to PCs and yet maths solid. 
Or very boring.  Like a team Edward build (wtf i don't care).

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.