Trying to decide on a controller.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for a good right out of the box controller suggestion. Standard creation starting at level 2. No idea how long the "campaign" will go but would like to stick to just heroic tier if possible (2-7 for now).

I've played a Wizard so would like to try something new. Some stealth for party OP would be good. I was thinking about a Predator Druid who would MC Fighter and go for Pole-arm stuff but don't really know if i'll even get all the pieces together for that. Here's what i got so far and please bear in mind i have never played or built a druid before. Just started reading the Druid Guide so...
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Darken Vorris, level 2
Wood Elf, Druid
Build: Predator Druid
Primal Aspect Option: Primal Predator
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Totem)
Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)
Theme: Werewolf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 17
HP: 31 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +6, Endurance +7, Nature +13, Perception +13, Stealth +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +1, Insight +5, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Streetwise +0, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Werewolf Utility: Wolf Shape
Druid Feature: Wild Shape
Druid Attack 1: Savage Rend
Druid Attack 1: Magic Stones
Druid Attack 1: Grasping Tide (Druid)
Druid Attack 1: Thorn Spray
Druid Attack 1: Vexing Overgrowth
Druid Utility 2: Sudden Bite

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Awareness
Level 2: Silent Shadows
Level 2: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Animal Messenger
Create Campsite
Alfsair Spear Spear +1 x1
Shadow Hunter Hide Hide Armor +1 x1
Amulet of Protection +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Hunter's Kit
Sacks
Gray Rain Cloak
====== End ======

My other thoughts were 

Seeker, if it could be made to work well enough.
-OR-
I would also like to give the Invoker a go and try out the Divine version of the Wizard.

Suggestions please.
How about a Invoker|Ranger that turns his Divine Bolts into an RBA through Power of Skill in order to prone/slow/slide two enemies with it through Clever Shot (via Archery Mastery feat). A heavy handing of control overall with Thunder of Judgment, Silent Malediction and Stalker's Mist.

Theme: Fey Beast Tamer to have something useful and cool to do with move actions.

A typical fight against melee combatants could go like so:
5 melee combatants start their turn with
1 is one square away from an ally => prone
1 is seven squares away from the nearest ally => slow (save ends)

Go Half-Elf  and pick Song of Serendipity as your Dilettante or get Correlon's Gift of Arcane Might. Then you pick up Master of Stories (Skald MC) at level 4 or 6 and now your Divine Bolts can prone two enemies while giving two allies a +2 power bonus to attack, for a total of +4 to attack. Now that's some serious enabling.

You go WIS primary and you don't need DEX if you pick Fox's Cunning as your Ranger encounter power and Spitting Cobra Stance as your daily.
How about a Invoker|Ranger that turns his Divine Bolts into an RBA through Power of Skill in order to prone/slow/slide two enemies with it through Clever Shot (via Archery Mastery feat). A heavy handing of control overall with Thunder of Judgment, Silent Malediction and Stalker's Mist.

Theme: Fey Beast Tamer to have something useful and cool to do with move actions.

A typical fight against melee combatants could go like so:
5 melee combatants start their turn with
1 is one square away from an ally => prone
1 is seven squares away from the nearest ally => slow (save ends)

Go Half-Elf  and pick Song of Serendipity as your Dilettante or get Correlon's Gift of Arcane Might. Then you pick up Master of Stories (Skald MC) at level 4 or 6 and now your Divine Bolts can prone two enemies while giving two allies a +2 power bonus to attack, for a total of +4 to attack. Now that's some serious enabling.

You go WIS primary and you don't need DEX if you pick Fox's Cunning as your Ranger encounter power and Spitting Cobra Stance as your daily.

Something like this.
Show

Fletcher Bowman, level 2
Half-Elf, Ranger/Invoker
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Will
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Associate: Trained Fey Panther
Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 13

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Ref: 15 Will: 17
HP: 31 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Nature +11, Perception +12, Stealth +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Athletics –1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +1, Insight +7, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Streetwise +2, Thievery +2

POWERS
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack: Clever Shot
Bard Attack 1: Song of Serendipity
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Invoker Attack 1: Thunder of Judgment
Invoker Attack 1: Silent Malediction
Ranger Utility 2: Stalker's Mist

FEATS
Level 1: Archery Mastery
Level 2: Power of Skill

ITEMS
Predator's Hide Hide Armor +1 x1
====== End ======

Stats?
Implement/Weapon?
Other items of note?

Edited to fix stats so i could fit Master of Stories at 4th. 
Definitively pick up Eagle Eye Goggles. I'm laughing right now cause you've actually found a use to the otherwise useless Quarry class feature in the Predator's hide armor. Here's my version. Defensive Staff helps with defenses obviously.

Show

Kyril, level 2
Half-Elf, Ranger/Invoker
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Impiltur (Impiltur Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 14, WIS 18, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 13

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 16
HP: 33 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +10, Insight +12, Nature +10, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +3, Athletics –1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +4, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +3, Intimidate +2, Religion +3, Stealth +0, Streetwise +2, Thievery +0

POWERS
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack: Clever Shot
Bard Attack 1: Song of Serendipity
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Invoker Attack 1: Thunder of Judgment
Invoker Attack 1: Silent Malediction
Ranger Utility 2: Stalker's Mist

FEATS
Archery Mastery
Level 2: Power of Skill

ITEMS
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Defensive Staff +1 x1
Predator's Hide Hide Armor +1 x1
====== End ======

I prefer the CON riders on Invokers so CON/WIS is the natural choice for me. If you don't care about the Master of Stories shtick and want INT as your main invoker rider, you could go Warforged INT/WIS. Will help with defenses.

Otherwise, DEX vs INT may be the question. Dex is almost useless unless you go full DEX-WIS co-primaries as your Ranger powers will always lag and you don't have a ranged weapon at hand. I know invokers have INT as a rider (not sure how useful in heroic to be honest), though DEX does help with initiative. Up to you and how you want to build it out in later levels.

Next feats to take would be Master of Stories and Staff Expertise.

If you do manage to get Correlon's Gift of Arcane Might, you don't need to be a half-elf and there's an argument to be made for going Human (you get your shtick online sooner, you can take Hand of Radiance as your bonus at-will or stay with Heroic Effort). You can worship Correlon since he's from the Skill domain and convince your DM you earned his boon.

Otherwise there's also an argument to be made for going 20 in WIS, though your CON/defenses will suffer.

Thanks for the help.

After further inspection, what am i really gaining over straight Invoker with this build?  Aside from the lost feat to Archery Mastery for the swap of a Ranger at-will to Clever Shot most of the rest can be done as a straight Invoker, right? Maybe i'm really missing something. I guess i would need to figure out how to get a slow/prone effect onto Divine Bolts.

Half-Elf w/Mark of storm and PoS could get me a slide on DB. I could still dilletante for Song of Serendipity or something else. 
The silly Divine Bolts thing is cute, but a pure Invoker is better.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

That trick seems neat but i agree. Scrapped the contoller idea since we have an off controller and no "real" strikers. Don't know how it'll work out but i hope my Scout can control through dead with the help of our party Warlord. Low op game so we should be okay.

Basically you traded in an encounter power and a feat for a stronger at-will, one which rivals and exceeds the average Invoker encounter in heroic. Post Paragon I'd agree though.

Basically you traded in an encounter power and a feat for a stronger at-will, one which rivals and exceeds the average Invoker encounter in heroic.

smh. So wrong.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Nice condescension, next time instead of posting nuggets of gold like that maybe you should consider that 2 words and a half don't count as anything anybody can gain anything from. Either articulate something useful or crawl back into whatever hole you wiggled out of.
Sorry, just trying to match your average level of contribution quality per post.

Your anecdote about how a combat might go is so hilariously wrong about how combats go even in 'easymode lfr' that none of your opinions regarding combat effectiveness should be taken seriously. This is further cemented by your trying to compare 2 target prone OR slide OR slow to the Invoker's 3rd worst encounter power, which is either a burst 2 daze+slow or a burst 1 -con to defenses. It's actually a 2 feat cost, the first for Power of Skill and the second for Archery Mastery, which in Heroic is costing you Expertise and a Defensive feat early on. You're also ignoring the loss of Heavy Armor which is necessary for a Wrathvoker, Ritual Casting, Channel Divinity, a 2nd At-will, and downgrading a Daily to Spitting Cobra Stance.

And really, level 2 Ranger Utility and you pick Stalker's Mist? Go read a class before you try talking about two.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
CharOp has been over this so many freaking times that we're tired of having to spell it out.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Warning: non op suggestion incoming.

I've been toying with the idea of an Invoker|Cleric who is basically a pacifist with good controlling powers that do low to no damage (not taking Pacifist feats though), but when the sh*t hits the fan, he can uncork an awesome can of whoop-ass.

Perhaps something along the lines of abusing radiant vulnerability with Solar Power and later Morninglord, and all the radiant op you can squeeze in there. Later on, you could even powerswap with Sorcerer for the Flame Spiral + Summons of Justice combo, making FS radiant with a Sun Disk of Pelor or a Crusader's Weapon. 

I haven't built it, but you could give it a shot if you like the flavor.
You mean Headspin? You're talking about Headspin, right?
Headspin with a Crusader's Mace for radiant op is pretty cool. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't know if it's much help to the OP though, since his game is heroic only. 
Sorry if the thread devolved into another pissing match and thanks to all who contributed. 

@Date of lies- thanks for the suggestion and i do think the build you put together had a neat non-op trick.

@Zelink and Zathris- all snarks aside i do fully agree that a straight Invoker would have been 100% better for what i was looking for.

@svendj- yes "Headspin" and any varients would have been more op than needed for this group and may never really have seen the build come together fully.

To all others who wish to continue helping or arguing, there is no longer a need but thanks any way. As i stated, i scrapped the whole controller idea and went with a striker. While it may not be OP'ed but neither is the group nor the campaign. Though after last night i think some of the group probably wishes that did a tad more optimizing but thats not my call and we all still had a blast.

The group was going to be a short lived place holder until we ran the new season of Encounters but since we all had more fun doing a home game thing we decided to not run Encounters and stick with this until our DM has no more left to give. Hopefully this means we'll go on into paragon and we will surely lose at least one of our players so changes may need to be made but i digress.

TL;DR 
Thanks for the feed back.
This is what i decided on playing. (Not optimized but he did okay for now. I'll adjust as is needed over time).
Show

Rickity Cricket, level 2
Thri-Kreen, Ranger (Scout)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Ambush Expertise (Ranger)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Wilderness Tracker (Ranger)
Two-Weapon Style Option: Flashing Blade Mastery
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 18 Will: 14
HP: 37 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Endurance +5, Nature +10, Perception +8, Stealth +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Athletics +3, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +1, Insight +3, Intimidate +0, Religion +1, Streetwise +0, Thievery +5

POWERS
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Thri-Kreen Racial Power: Thri-kreen Claws
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Lurking Spider
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Ranger Attack: Dual Weapon Attack
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride

FEATS
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training
Level 2: Thri-Kreen Thrower

ITEMS
Veteran's Hide Armor +1 x1
Backpack (empty)
Flint and Steel
Belt Pouch (empty)
Sunrod
Trail Rations
Waterskin
Grappling Hook
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
Sacks
Chatkcha
Vanguard Spiked chain +1 x1
====== End ======

LBE, Go Short Swords over Spiked Chain and Perhaps Rogue MC. No idea about paragon path but maybe my DM will let me swap some stats and i could MC Fighter for Shock trooper.

Sign In to post comments