Blowing Everything Up: L24 Wizard/Battle Engineer/Planeshaper, area damage machine.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Finesse? Subtlety? Discretion? Status effects? Back in my day, wizards used to lord over the battlefield by tossing around fire, ice, lightning, thunder, and more fire. I'm still a fan of the old ways, and let me tell you that nothing solves a monster problem better than a big fat dose of kaboom. Sit down, you might learn something."

Objective of the Build
The goal of this build is to act as an area striker, in other words, to blow everything (but your allies and yourself, of course) the hell up. This comes at the cost of sacrificing the control potential of forced movement and status effects, but laying down hefty overdoses of damage across entire clusters of enemies is a form of control in its own right. Instead of simply focusing on at-wills, this build allows encounter powers to shine as well, though at-wills are given special attention due to being the bread and butter.

The Build at Level 24
Level: 24
Race: Genasi (Stormsoul)
Class: Wizard (Staff of Defense)
Paragon Path: Battle Engineer
Epic Destiny: Planeshaper
Background Benefit: Auspicious Birth/Born Under a Bad Sign
Ability Scores: 20+2 Strength, 12 Constitution, 13 Dexterity, 24+2+2 Intelligence, 16 Wisdom, 10 Charisma
Hit Points: 130; Bloodied: 65; Surges: 7; AC: 39; Fortitude: 36; Reflex: 36; Will: 35
Heroic Feats: Dual Implement Spellcaster, Echoes of Thunder, Elemental Empowerment, Focused Expertise (Staffs), Mark of Storm, Staff Fighting, Weapon Focus (Staffs)
Paragon Feats: Arcane Admixture (Chain Lightning: Thunder), Arcane Admixture (Magic Missile: Thunder), Arcane Admixture (Prismatic Burst: Thunder), Arcane Admixture (Scorching Burst: Cold), Enlarge Spell, Resounding Thunder
Epic Feats: Spell Accuracy
Multiclass Feats: Student of Artfice
Equipment: +5 Staff of Ruin (level 23 item), +5 Siberys Shard of the Mage (level 23 item), +5 Cloak of Distortion (level 24 item), +5 Summoned Efreetweave Cloth (225,000 gp), Paragon Belt of Vim (85,000 gp), Paragon Circlet of Indomitability (85,000 gp), Boots of Eagerness (4,200 gp), Salve of Power
just above Notable Feats and Powers change the wording so it says "Damage Bonus (Nonelemental Wizard Powers):" instead of attack bonus...
A little confusing, that's all

I noticed that you mention scorching burst as having thunder, but your feats show you adding cold damage. Which is it? Remember that you can only add one type to a spell, as per admixture's limitation.
I like the build, especially the battle engineer.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Seems like you could get some real mileage out of Mark of Storm, if you could manage to fit it in there somehow. The build is basically all about throwing around thunder damage at a whole lot of people a whole lot of times every turn. Surely there's *some* feat in there that you could afford to drop for a slide 1 on every single hit. If nothing else, being able to slide your enemies makes it significantly easier to pile more of them into your burst templates.
what's the feat that let's you take a -5 to hit your allies in the area?
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
what's the feat that let's you take a -5 to hit your allies in the area?

War Wizardry, I think. Reduces damage to half for allies that do get hit, too. FRPG. Clearly a good choice pre-epic, at least.
Nice compilation!
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
Seems like you could get some real mileage out of Mark of Storm, if you could manage to fit it in there somehow. The build is basically all about throwing around thunder damage at a whole lot of people a whole lot of times every turn. Surely there's *some* feat in there that you could afford to drop for a slide 1 on every single hit. If nothing else, being able to slide your enemies makes it significantly easier to pile more of them into your burst templates.

Good catch. I had somehow thought that the Mark of Storm only affected lightning powers, but now that I see it affects thunder powers as well, it's a no-brainer for this build. I'm a little wary of giving up defense-boosters such as Armor Proficiency (Leather), Robust Defenses, and Epic Fortitude/Reflex/Will, but the sheer damage and control of this build should make up for it.
Since you're using Fleeting Dweomer (twice, which is brilliant!), you may not need to use Arcane Admixture.

Following all the rulings regarding Frozen Whetstone usage, question #15 in the PHB FAQ, and the text in the PHB itself, it seems consistent that adding elemental damage adds the corresponding keyword.
A way to make this better is by having all allies wear cloaks of distortion and you be sure you are far enough away so you have -5 to attack them.

Stack this with war wizardry and you don't have to wait till epic to have all your target:creatures in burst turn into target: all enemies.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
Since you're using Fleeting Dweomer (twice, which is brilliant!), you may not need to use Arcane Admixture.

Following all the rulings regarding Frozen Whetstone usage, question #15 in the PHB FAQ, and the text in the PHB itself, it seems consistent that adding elemental damage adds the corresponding keyword.

I second that.

You can have one dweomer add thunder damage and another lightning to get huge bonsues to damage and attack. As alternatives you can go with thunder and ice to exploit winter touched /lasting frost or thunder/psychic to give away -2 penalty to attacks to your victims.

Ofcouse you can stick with thunder admixture feats and have your arcane attacks doing thunder/ice/psychic damage to really bring down the nastiness .

Question: for the untyped feat bonusi that trigger when the power hit, and the power has multiple targets. Do you get a bonus per each target/attack roll that hit or do you only get one bonus if the same power hit multiple targets?
I'm trying to build this using the CB, but i'm having some issues with the number of feats you have pre paragon... You can have 6 feats pre paragon.
(1,2,4,6,8 & 10)

As far as i can see you have
Dual Implement Spellcaster, Echoes of Thunder, Elemental Empowerment, Focused Expertise (Staffs), Mark of Storm, Staff Fighting, Weapon Focus (Staffs) & Student of Artfice = 8

i've been working on a similar build... so really want this to work!

I don't think this would work, actually. The PHB and the PHB FAQ state that you would receive the damage type keyword of a magic item if: (1) the item's power has the keyword, and (2) the item converts your damage into that of the keyword. Fleeting Dweomer does not have any keyword other than Arcane and only adds damage, so it wouldn't grant a keyword.
I don't think this would work, actually. The PHB and the PHB FAQ state that you would receive the damage type keyword of a magic item if: (1) the item's power has the keyword, and (2) the item converts your damage into that of the keyword. Fleeting Dweomer does not have any keyword other than Arcane and only adds damage, so it wouldn't grant a keyword.

I was thinking more of PHB pg 55, but you're right that the PHB FAQ question #15 talks only about magic items.

PHB quotes:

ex.: "For instance, a power that deals acid damage is an acid effect and thus has the acid keyword."

ex.: "If a power allows you to choose the damage type, the power than has that keyword for feats, resistances, and any other information that applies."

But I can see the issue being unclear, so I won't push it further.
I'm trying to build this using the CB, but i'm having some issues with the number of feats you have pre paragon... You can have 6 feats pre paragon.
(1,2,4,6,8 & 10)

As far as i can see you have
Dual Implement Spellcaster, Echoes of Thunder, Elemental Empowerment, Focused Expertise (Staffs), Mark of Storm, Staff Fighting, Weapon Focus (Staffs) & Student of Artfice = 8

i've been working on a similar build... so really want this to work!

You can take feats below your current tier. For example:

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Student of Artifice (Heroic)
Level 2: Echoes of Thunder (Heroic)
Level 4: Elemental Empowerment (Heroic)
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Quarterstaff) (Heroic)
Level 8: Mark of Storm (Heroic)
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Staff) (Heroic)
Level 11: Arcane Admixture (Paragon)
Level 12: Arcane Admixture II (Paragon)
Level 14: Arcane Admixture III (Paragon)
Level 16: Arcane Admixture IV (Paragon)
Level 18: Enlarge Spell (Heroic)
Level 20: Resounding Thunder (Paragon)
Level 21: Staff Fighting (Heroic)
Level 22: Dual Implement Spellcaster (Heroic)
Level 24: Spell Accuracy (Epic)

Just an example. Probably not the order you'd want to take them, but I hope you get the picture. Heh.

I have to wonder about the OP's final ability scores. In the Character Builder, I came up with:
Str 22, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 28, Wis 15, Cha 10.

Not a big deal though, since only the Wis off a point... Hurts Will defense though, heh.

It seems like necromancy is truly a hated art.

But i need clarification. You take staff fighting so your staff becomes a double weapon. How are you getting the benefit from dual implement spellcaster?

What's the point of the Paragon Path in this?

Keep in mind this thread is two years old, it was probably for the pre-errata Fleeting Dweomer. It used to be an encounter power instead of a daily. 

Keep in mind this thread is two years old, it was probably for the pre-errata Fleeting Dweomer. It used to be an encounter power instead of a daily. 

Yeah, I started reading the thread from the beginning myself, wondering, "Why this? Why that? That makes no sense..." and then I looked at the posting date. 

Sign In to post comments