The Emo-Angler (level 21)

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This build was nerfed slightly by removing the use of multiple salves of power.  This removes the ability to generate difficult terrain which is necessary for the build.  I suggest replacing them with a Battle Standard of the Tides (and maybe not bother with the MC warden).

Thanks to runreallyfast for the main concept of this build and for all the other contributors (especially Sven_Stryker) to the Perfect Target thread. This is really just a combination of a lot the ideas kicking around in that thread plus a bit of fishing (which seems to be my current obsession).

Fighter|Warlord/Flamebrow Commander/Raven Consort

Emo-Angler, L1
Race: Revenant Shadar-kai Class: Fighter|Warlord Ability Score, with racial adjustments: Str 16 (+3) Con 14 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Int 08 (-1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 16 (+3) HP: 27; Bloodied: 13; Surges: 10 (6 HP) AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 18/14/13/14 Initiative: +2; Speed: 5 Knockdown Assault: 1 attack, +6 vs. AC Hit: 3 damage and knocked prone Furious Smash: 1 attack, +6 vs. Fort Hit: 3 damage and +3 to ally's next attack & damage At-will Powers: knockdown assault, furious smash Encounter Powers: luring focus, dark reaping, inspiring word Daily Powers: bastion of strength Skills: Athletics (+7), Diplomacy (+8), Intimidate (+8) Feats: Armor Proficiency (Scale) Gear: longsword, light shield, 4 javelins, scale armor, standard adventurer's kit
Levels 2-10
L2. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: shield proficiency (heavy), new utility power: heroic effort L3. +5 HP, new encounter power: sweeping blow L4. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Str (17), +1 Cha (17), new feat: weapon expertise (heavy blades) L5. +5 HP, new daily power: pinning smash L6. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: defender of the wild, new utility power: daring shot L7. +5 HP, new encounter power: come and get it L8. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Str (18), +1 Cha (18), new feat: hybrid talent (bravura presence) L9. +5 HP, new daily power: knock them down L10. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Adept Power (form of winter's herald), new daily power: form of winter's herald (replaces bastion of strength), new utility power: strength from pain, new utility power: tempting target (replaces daring shot)
Emo-Angler, L11
Race: Revenant Shadar-kai Class: Fighter|Warlord Paragon Path: Flamebrow Commander Ability Score, with racial adjustments: Str 19 (+4) Con 15 (+2) Dex 15 (+2) Int 09 (-1) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 19 (+4) HP: 78; Bloodied: 39; Surges: 10 Surge Value: 19 (+4 when dying) (+1 per number of healing surges used since last extended rest) AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 26/22/20/22 Initiative: +9; Speed: 5 Death Save: +9 (+11 with Scorned Noble) + reroll Chance to get Healing Surge per Save: 75% (84% with Scorned Noble) Knockdown Assault: 1 attack, +16 vs. AC Hit: 4 damage and knocked prone Furious Smash: 1 attack, +16 vs. Fort Hit: 4 damage and +4 to ally's next attack & damage At-will Powers: knockdown assault, furious smash Encounter Powers: dark reaping, inspiring word, luring focus, sweeping blow, come and get it, flamebrow assault Daily Powers: pinning smash, knock them down, form of winter's herald Utility Powers: heroic effort, strength from pain, tempting target Skills: Athletics (+14), Diplomacy (+14), Intimidate (+14), Heal (+10) Feats: Armor Proficiency (Scale) Death Scorned (replaced Shield Proficiency (Heavy) at level 11) Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blades) Defender of the Wild Hybrid Talent (Bravura Presence) Adept Power (Form of Winter's Herald) Fierce Vitality Gear: +3 Dynamic Longsword +2 Verve Drakescale Armor Survivor's Belt +2 Periapt of Recovery Helm of Opportunity Bracers of Mighty Striking Gloves of Piercing Acrobat Boots Strongheart Tattoo Potion of Vigor (2) Light Shield Adventurer's Kit 100gp
Levels 12-20
L12. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: heavy blade opportunity, new pp utility power: rallying lure L13. +5 HP, new encounter power: headstrong bravery (replaces sweeping blow) L14. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Str (20), +1 Cha (20), new feat: sudden roots L15. +5 HP, replace daily power: war master's assault (replaces knock them down) L16. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, paragon path feature: , new feat: two-weapon fighting, new utility power: flanking stance L17. +5 HP, replace encounter power: don't bother! L18. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Str (21), +1 Cha (21), new feat: two-weapon threat L19. +5 HP, replace daily power: victory surge (replaces pinning smash) L20. +5 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: two-weapon defense, new pp daily power: renewal smite
Emo-Angler, L21
Race: Revenant Shadar-kai Class: Fighter|Warlord Paragon Path: Flamebrow Commander Epic Destiny: Raven Consort Ability Score, with racial adjustments: Str 22 (+6) Con 18 (+4) Dex 16 (+3) Int 10 (+0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 22 (+6) HP: 135; Bloodied: 67; Surges: 14 Surge Value: 33 (+6 when dying) (+2 per number of healing surges used since last extended rest) AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 33/33/29/33 (+ insubstantial when dying) Initiative: +13; Speed: 5 Death Save: +13 (+15 with Scorned Noble) + reroll Chance to get Healing Surge per Save: 91% (96% with Scorned Noble) Knockdown Assault: 1 attack, +25 vs. AC Hit: 22 damage and knocked prone Knockdown Assault (as opportunity attack): 1 attack, +26 vs. AC Hit: 22 damage and knocked prone and slowed Furious Smash: 1 attack, +25 vs. Fort Hit: 22 damage and +6 to ally's next attack & damage At-will Powers: knockdown assault, furious smash Encounter Powers: dark reaping, inspiring word, luring focus, come and get it, form of winter's herald attack, flamebrow assault, headstrong bravery Daily Powers: form of winter's herald, war master's assault, victory surge, renewal smite Utility Powers: heroic effort, strength from pain, tempting target, flanking stance, rallying lure Skills: Athletics (+21), Diplomacy (+21), Intimidate (+23), Heal (+16) Feats: Armor Proficiency (Scale) Death Scorned (replaced Shield Proficiency (Heavy) at level 11) Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blades) Defender of the Wild Hybrid Talent (Bravura Presence) Adept Power (Form of Winter's Herald) Fierce Vitality Heavy Blade Opportunity Sudden Roots Two-Weapon Fighting Two-Weapon Threat Eerie Resurgence (replaced Two-Weapon Defense at level 21) Ghostly Vitality Gear: Verve Stormscale Armor + 4 Periapt of Recovery +4 Survivor's Belt Iron Armbands of Power (paragon) Strongheart Tattoo (paragon) Boots of Quickness (paragon) Circlet of Indomitability (paragon) Bloodclaw Longsword +4 Reckless Shortsword +4 Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords (paragon) (2) Strikebacks Salve of Power (6) Handy Haversack Griffon Potion of Vigor (paragon) (3) Adventurer's Kit 47,385gp

[b][u]Build Goal and Tactics:[/b][/u]

The main concept around this build is to get the death save up to +9 (minimum) which combined with Fierce Vitality means the Emo-Angler can only be killed when it reaches negative bloodied. It then continues towards all the deathly goodness that is the Raven Consort when by level 24 the character should also receive free healing surges. Added onto this is a basic fishing mechanic (Winter's Herald + Knockdown Assault) which activates at level 14 with Heavy Blade Opportunity, Sudden Roots and multiple Salves of Power. It shares its other powers between ways of drawing enemies into the difficult terrain zone (luring focus, come and get it...), powers that benefit from the character being bloodied (heroic effort, strength from pain) and close burst attacks. The important bits of kit are the Verve amour (+2 to death saves), the periapt of recovery (+2 to death saves), survivor's belt (reroll death save) and maybe the strongheart tattoo (bonus to healing surge).
This is one of my favorite build concepts out there. It's a great way to effectively (If dangerously) add 48-50% more hitpoints to your character's total. I'm overlooking the build now, but just by default - I approve.
This is one of my favorite build concepts out there. It's a great way to effectively (If dangerously) add 48-50% more hitpoints to your character's total. I'm overlooking the build now, but just by default - I approve.

It also has the added advantage that the closer you get to negative bloodied the more HPs you heal with one healing surge as it immediately sets you to 0 before any healing.
This is possibly more resiliant than a battlerager. A battlerager has effective damage reduction, you have death reduction
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Updated to level 21.
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a particular reason you put your Hybrid Talent into Bravura Presence versus... Inspiring Presence, or perhaps better yet - Battlerage Vigor? I'm probably just not a big enough fan of Bravura Presence in general (I played a Bravura Warlord in a party that refused to take advantage of the ability) but at the same time, it seems like Battlerage Vigor alone would add huge amounts of sustainability to your build.
What do you use the +9 for death saves for? If you could get it to +10 you could pop up every round, but at +9 you're still failing half the time.

I like revenants, and the cheese I found was a Standard of Healing and a couple of reactive abilities in case you get knocked off the deep end of hit points. But insubstantial + getting reset to 1 hp every time a heal pops off in the party means you'll be good most of the time. Warden's get a daily utility that heals them at 0 or lower, and Beronnar's salve would also be nice in the party.

With the Revenant PP, you stay conscious without needing to make death saving throws at 16th level.
What do you use the +9 for death saves for? If you could get it to +10 you could pop up every round, but at +9 you're still failing half the time.

Actually, at +9 he can never fail a death save, and he has a 75% chance of rolling a 20 or higher, which gives him a surge.

I like revenants, and the cheese I found was a Standard of Healing and a couple of reactive abilities in case you get knocked off the deep end of hit points. But insubstantial + getting reset to 1 hp every time a heal pops off in the party means you'll be good most of the time. Warden's get a daily utility that heals them at 0 or lower, and Beronnar's salve would also be nice in the party.

The battle standard is a great idea, and useful before level 24 when the Raven Consort's cycle of Life kicks in. At that level, you want to make death saves.

With the Revenant PP, you stay conscious without needing to make death saving throws at 16th level.

The paragon path is a trap since it is so easy to get to a place where failing death saves is impossible. I much prefer spending 1 feat (fierce vitality) to taking a paragon path that does the same thing.
Actually, at +9 he can never fail a death save, and he has a 75% chance of rolling a 20 or higher, which gives him a surge.

With +9 on saves, you need an 11 or better to get a 20, which is a 50/50 chance, like I said.

The paragon path is a trap since it is so easy to get to a place where failing death saves is impossible. I much prefer spending 1 feat (fierce vitality) to taking a paragon path that does the same thing.

It's not a trap, since you get to ignore your racial stay conscious ability entirely. You get a full set of actions and never go down, regardless of failed death saves. You can spend your feats and items elsewhere.
With +9 on saves, you need an 11 or better to get a 20, which is a 50/50 chance, like I said.

You forgot to factor in the survivor's belt.

It's not a trap, since you get to ignore your racial stay conscious ability entirely. You get a full set of actions and never go down, regardless of failed death saves. You can spend your feats and items elsewhere.

You get to ignore it entirely with fierce vitality as well, provided you have a +9 on death saves or use a life charm. Heck, my character gets by with a +5 on death saves and an encounter power. Provided I'm not somehow prevented from using the encounter power this character will never be dropped unconscious from failed death saves once he reaches 24th level. And even if he did get dropped unconscious, it would only happen once. Though I can see that it's ultimately an opinion. However, to me, one feat is worth the trade since even with the paragon path you'll still want to have a good death save for this type of build.
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a particular reason you put your Hybrid Talent into Bravura Presence versus... Inspiring Presence, or perhaps better yet - Battlerage Vigor? I'm probably just not a big enough fan of Bravura Presence in general (I played a Bravura Warlord in a party that refused to take advantage of the ability) but at the same time, it seems like Battlerage Vigor alone would add huge amounts of sustainability to your build.

Bravura Presence is required for Flamebrow Commander paragon path - I know - I would rather use something else too!

Hmm - I haven't looked at standards. I'll definitely have a look.

The Flamebrow Commander path is rather crucial for this build as it allows me to add my charisma modifier to my death saves. This works at level 11. If I didn't mind waiting until level 16 I'd probably go for a horizon walker (adds wisdom @16) build or a self-forged (take 10 on the roll).

An awesome item in AV2

Death Song ring 19

Property: when you make a death saving throw each enemy within 3 takes 5 necrotic

It has an encounter power that lets this happen when an ally makes a death saving throw.

DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Sign In to post comments