Tough striker for a tough night

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The biggest min-maxer in my playing group is, for one night, going to give DM'ing a go. He will DM a delve for the rest of us, and he has promised us it will be as hard and tough as he can get it, without being illegal. We are to make new lvl 11 characters for this night.

Im going to be a striker, and i need some tips and advice. What kind of striker would be best in a scenario like this? Obviously, he will need a decent damage output, but he should also be as tough as possible, because he will take a lot of damage.

So, anyone got any tip/advice for me, or just played a striker once that had surprisingly good survivability?
Battlerager Vigor Fighters are insanely tough and can hit hard, but not 'strikers.'

Hexhammer Gish is a 'striker,' and incredibly resilient. I'd start with ideas from threads related to that build.
Avengers have very good survivability, and consistent damage output.

Barbarians can be resilient, especially at 11th level, with maybe a fighter multiclass and a fighter paragon path. And with access to 3 rages, they are at their full potential for a delve after level 9.

Warlocks, especially Con based ones like infernal pact, can have decent survivability. But they get hit by status effects frequently, and their damage output is conditional, depending on what you're fighting.

Rogues, Rangers, and Sorcerers are somewhat fragile, so you'll probably want to stay away from them if resilience is what you're looking for.

And while they are a defender class, Battleragers can be built as strikers, especially with a striker multiclass. They are of course very resilient, but get hit by status effects a lot. Tempests are quite good at striking too (at 11th level, probably better than the battlerager), and while they are not temp hit point happy like battleragers, they do have very good AC and NAD's.

So my recommendation would be Avenger, Barbarian, or Tempest Fighter.
Hexhammer or Battlerager would be pretty survivable.
An Avenger is never a bad choice- if you know your enemies going to be trying to hit you there's nothing quite as good as walloping them back for a gigantic amount of pain when they get frustrated or ask their friends to help. Additionally Avengers at level 11 can be massively difficult to kill (See Lordduskblades "Master of Defense" build) and they get Channel Divinity (not gonna say it... but RRoT... crap i said it).

Barring that a Rageblood Vigor Warforged/Goliath Barbarian is incredibly difficult to kill (either because of temporary hit points or damage resistance) and can do some great damage as well as solid mobility and charges. The Warforged Juggernaut Barbarian is a real beast like that, and the Goliath Dreadnought is similarly dangerous.

My favorite is that by Level 11 you can build a nicely survivable Storm Sorcerer, which is really at its best in a dungeon when you know you'll be facing a good number of enemies in tight quarters. Dragon Sorcerer is excellent too, and probably better at "Living" in the long term- but Storm Sorcerer lets you ignore some of the squares for your powers, making your friends less likely to die in the process... which is a really good thing.
Rogues, Rangers, and Sorcerers are somewhat fragile, so you'll probably want to stay away from them if resilience is what you're looking for.

Rangers do not need to be fragile. A Str/Con ranger dual wielding craghammers with hammer rhythm is a reasonably strong build--especially at level 11. Kensai is probably the best paragon path for that build at level 11 but, especially with the new minor action attacks, pathfinder is not a bad choice. (When you get a move action in addition to your standard action with an action point and have minor action attack powers, it means that you can use two attack powers as a part of your action point--a standard and a minor).
if you can go hybrid, I think going fighter|strength striker with hybrid talent (battlerage vigor) can be made extremely though and very solid striker. get all nice fighter power (RoB, RoS), in 11th level you can even go Paragon Hybrid without losing much (trade another Hybrid Talent for 11th PP ability (since you won't be getting to level 16 to miss on level 16 PP abilities). I think actually this would be extremely strong option.
if you can go hybrid, I think going fighter|strength striker with hybrid talent (battlerage vigor) can be made extremely though and very solid striker. get all nice fighter power (RoB, RoS), in 11th level you can even go Paragon Hybrid without losing much (trade another Hybrid Talent for 11th PP ability (since you won't be getting to level 16 to miss on level 16 PP abilities). I think actually this would be extremely strong option.

Hibrid Paladin|Ranger with the son of mercy paragon path is probably also an attractive option. Paladin gives you a mark (and the strength powers won't be entirely wasted), Son of Mercy lets you add your Wisdom to damage against targets you have marked, and ranger gives you multi-attack powers to take advantage of the damage bonus.
really don't see why paladin tbh... fighter|ranger will work a lot better imo, and you can still take son of mercy...
but my favorite atm is this guy though...
Khere Yougoh, L11

Race: Goliath
Class: Fighter|Barbarian
Fighter Talent: Battlerage Vigor
Paragon Path: Student of Caiphon

Ability Scores, with racial adjustments:
starting scores in parentheses
Str 22 (17+2)
Con 20 (15+2)
Dex 11 (10)
Int 9 (8)
Wis 11 (10)
Cha 14 (13)

HP: 105; Bloodied: 52; Surges: 13 (26 HP)
AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 26/23/15/12
Initiative: +5; Speed: 5

At-will Powers: Howling Strike, Crushing Surge
Encounter Powers: Avalanche Strike, Rain of Blows, Curtain of Steel, Feast of Violence
Daily Powers: Villain's Menece, Rain of Steel, Oak Hammer Rage
Utility Powers: Pass Forward, Laugh it Off, Heart Strike

Skills: Athletics (+18), Endurance (+15), Intimidate (+12)
Feats: Hybrid Talent, Toughness, Goliath Greatweapon Prowess, AP: Chain, WE: Axes, Student of Malediction, Reserve Maneuver (Feast of Violence)

Gear: +2 Radiant Greataxe, +3 Dwarven Chain and more...
If he's going to make it as hard as possible, then you probably don't want to put artificial bounds on your character. Forcing a striker to be tough could compromise his ability to strike.

With that in mind, I recommend a TWF ranger, as your group isn't going to be able to make too many openings but when they do, they need someone to fully capitalize on them. As soon as the defender opens a hole, you need to hit hard, and TWF rangers are easily the best at that.
Sign In to post comments