MC dips - what to MC into if you've got nothing better to do.

65 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is intended as a guide to quick multiclass dips - not MCing to get a paragon path, and not MCing because it's core to your build or grants some nifty racial feat, but the sort of thing that gets overlooked frequently in the race to tune everything - things that you can get by taking a multiclass that are good for almost everyone, or at least for a great many people, and feats and powerswaps that can add a whole new dimension on to your character no matter who you are. It is not particularly intended as a comprehensive guide. It's intended as a place for people who don't know what to multiclass into to go for insight and ideas.
Note that, with the free skill training, multiclass feats are almost never a *bad* idea. Unless you have a build that is so feat-starved that it cannot afford even one, the question should not be "if", but "which". The strength of MC feats as compared to normal feats is one of the reasons people tend to like bards.
(Throwing in first thoughts on grading. Please feel free to weigh in on differing thoughts on value and category names. Also, please do offer corrections if I have things wrong, and any pertinent data you think might belong. Many of these are from memory, and some are from memory of books that I don't own. I'm sure that I'm missing some of the attack-power MCs, for example)

General Types:
- Take a healing MC. Having a one-per-day healing surge use + bonuses for a minor action can easily save you or a party member in a tough spot. Having enough characters so multiclassed can mostly make up for the lack of a party leader, if you happen to lack one. (bard/cleric/warlord/artificer) Special note goes to the cleric on this one, because they get two of these in a way. The cleric Channel Divinity MC (DP) can be taken for Healer's Mercy, which gives a whole *lot* of healing if you use it in the right circumstances - and if you are in "the right circumstances" in this case, you'll be happy you have it. It's costly to use, and 1/day, but if your party needs more desperation healing, this will definitely give it to you. It doesn't give a skill, and it doesn't give implement use, but.... Non-cleric divines can take a somewhat different feat that will add that to your channel divinity list, and let you pull it off once per encounter if you need to.  Special mention goes to the Artificer because *his* "surge use" doesn't actually cost a surge - making this MC pretty much equivalent to a number of level 2 leader utility powers.
- Take a striker MC. There are a number of MCs out there that will up your DPE pretty directly, usually by adding damage on to your existing attacks, usually for a round or two per encounter, usually for the cost of a minor action to set it up. Damage is always good, but these generally don't give all that much of it. (Avenger, Barbarian, Warlock, Ranger, Rogue, Sorceror). Special mention goes Disciple of Divine Wrath (Avenger, PHBII). If you happen to be a melee class, the avenger feat can give quite the significant single-target boost for a nova, once per encounter. Of course, the other Avenger feat is just plain better, but it's special enough to be mentioned separately.
- Take an attack-power MC. Gives you an at-will of the class you MCd into as an encounter power. Useful primarily as a utility effect - it generally won't be any more powerful than your own, and may suffer from MID/MAD issues, but it can let you do things that your own class doesn't do as well (or at all), and that can be helpful. (Wizard, Warlock, Sorceror, Invoker)
- Ritual Caster: Ritual caster as a base feat comes by itself. Ritual caster as a multiclass feat comes with a free skill. If you wanted to be a ritual caster in the first place, then having a free skill come with it is always nice. (wizard, bard, invoker)

Specific Feats of Note:
- Druid: - it's like an attack-power feat, except that it comes with the ability to transform into an animal. This can be useful in all sorts of noncombat situations for evading people who are chasing you (Bluff check [easy] to convince them that you are actually a dog.) and, if you don't use your minor actions much can let you cash in a minor action one round for the ability to use a minor to shift 1 in the next. Druid also comes with a feat or two that significantly increases stealth and movement in beast form - meaning that taking this as the party scout can up your ability to get in, get out, and not raise alarms significantly.
- Battle Awareness: (fighter, from MP) - if you've got the 13 wis and 13 str, you don't use your immediate action much, and you're a melee character with a decent melee basic, this is pretty much a free attack once per encounter.
- Hero of Faith (Avenger): - Hero of Faith (Avenger): - Hero of Faith (Avenger): Honestly, this one is good enough that it almost calls for a notch somehow above sky blue. Pick an enemy. Spend a minor action. Until the end of the encounter, if the enemy is adjacent to you and no one else is, you get to roll twice on every melee attack you make on them. Note that according to various bits of math theorycraft, rolling twice is equivalent to or better than a +4 to hit in almost all actually encountered cases. It also nearly doubles your crit range. The only limitation is that you have to have a 15 wisdom. This would be a strong multiclass feat as a *daily*. As an encounter power, it is overwhelmingly good.
- Shaman: Spending a standard action in the middle of the fight to summon your spirit is a bit much when you can't really attack with him, but you can summon him outside of combat and have him follow you in. Once he gets into combat, he's a highly mobile 1 square obstacle to enemies (but not allies) that takes exactly no resources to maintain, and grants light cover to allies (but not enemies). If the enemies don't attack him, he's a small but significant block of always-on battlefield control for a feat. If they do attack him, they'll probably waste a healing surge's worth of damage or more between damage underflow, damage overflow, and the 5 point reduction at the end. This becomes even more entertaining if multiple party members do it, and you can start arranging your little friends in walls. Plus, once per day you get your wis bonus, untyped, to a skill check (if you qualified for the feat in the first place, it's at least +1), and you still get the extra skill.
- Paladin: a marking feat that really is a cut or few above the rest. Unlike every other marking MC in the game, you can get this one to stick around from turn to turn - which means that you can use it as a psuedo-defender to suddenly get a lot more defendery, or as a sufficiently mobile ranged striker to mock and punish some poor lout for his inability to hit you.

Nifty Multi-feat Combos:
- Sorceror flight: a sorceror multiclass feat, a level 16 utility powerswap, and a good dex can get you a fly-and-never-fall speed that will let you flit around the tops of tall rooms, firing bolts of flamey death (or icy death, or arrows or crossbow bolts or whatever) down upon anyone you happen to dislike. Also, being able to fly as far as you like just because is really quite handy in a number of noncombat and combat-prep situations. It loses some of the combat applicability in cases where the ceiling is too short, and you're losing any cover you might have had against their ranged casters, but it can still be quite potent.
- Sorceror AC: It comes a little late, but it's a beaut. Any str-based character who MCs to sorceror and makes it to level 22 can powerswap for platinum scales. Pick an encounter. As soon as an enemy takes a swing at you, every single one of your defenses goes up by your strength mod as an immediate interrupt - which, by that point, should be about +7 - for the rest of the encounter. For two feats and a utility power, that's not bad. It does take your immediate action for the round, which nonpaladin defenders might care about - but in most cases, if the object of your affections is hitting you already, you won't need that immediate action until your next turn anyway.
- Warlock Teleport: a warlock multiclass, a lvl 10 utility powerswap, and enough teleport-boosting gear can get you a solid at-will teleport as a move action. This can be excellent for deep-striking melee characters into the enemy back ranks - or for escaping from melee characters if you happen to prefer the back ranks yourself. Note that getting bonuses to teleport is a lot easier than increasing both your move and your native shift distance. Teleports can *also* be quite handy on skill challenges and the like. Note that dwarves in particular, with a moderate gear investment, can get at-will teleport speeds that equal or exceed their move speeds (and heavy-armor gnomes can do so almost trivially... which raises the question of why you would be playing a gnome in heavy armor in the first place, but anyway....). It gets pushed down a bit because of the gear requirements. For anyone who has the equipment slots to spare and no real plan for them, it becomes sky blue
- Leader Healing Utility (warlord, cleric): if "Take a healing MC", above is useful, but once per day just isn't enough (entirely possible if you have no real leader - especially if you have no real leader and only a few people are willing to MC into leader classes) you can significantly upgrade your ability to pretend to be a leader by swapping for one of the surge-use encounter utility powers from your MC class. -- Special mention on the warlord side goes to Rousing Words for being a level 6 power that does this for up to two surges at once. It doesn't carry any bonus health, but if you've gotten to this point you care more about surge use than surge efficiency anyway. -- Special mention on the cleric side goes to Word of Vigor at level 10 - letting you grant a surge use to yourself and everyone next to you, and giving an extra 2d6 bonus healing on top of that. -- In a similar theme, if you don't want to make the powerswap (or, if you already have, and still crave more), elves/halflings who've MCd cleric can take the Blessing feat for Corellon/Avandra respectively, and hand out a healing surge use once per encounter for free when they use their racial power.
- Paladin Weapon Blessing: This one is a little heavier on the requirements, and a little heavier on the cheese than I normally use here, but when properly supported, Bless Weapon, the level 2 paladin utility, can be amazing for just about any melee character. If you can find a way to consistently inflict radiant vulnerability, it's an extra +1 to hit and an 18-20 crit range off the weapon of your choice, along with the extra vulnerability damage (and if you're getting here through the paladin marking feat that radiant vulnerability will make you extra sticky too.) The easiest way to get that vulnerability is to start out as an avenger or melee priest and take the Solar Enemy channel divinity power. (total cost: 1 MC feat, 1 powerswap feat, 1 lvl 2 utility, 1 channel divinity feat). For nondivine melee characters who are interested, you can get the same effect once per day if you take the channel divinity multiclass feat. You can also go with the Morninglord PP or (if half-elf) a divine at-will that inflicts radiant vulnerability through Power of the Sun. Of course, any of these can also be inflicted by other members of the party as well, if you can get their help on it.

Multiclassing Sorceror and taking Platinum Scales via utility swap will be a viable choice for any Str-based character. It's daily and a two feat investment is heavy but in dire situations can really save your life.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Barbarian, if you've got the stats, is a nice way to get +2 to damage in the most important encounter of that day.
If you intend to maintain this, simply the benefits above and beyond Skill Training should be mentioned.

Might be nice to organize by class (or feat), list the abilities gained and maybe highlight skill options?
Barbarian is ok, but not amazing.

Even with a +2 damage, it only lasts 1 encounter per day. You make what... say 8 attacks per encounter? I think that is generous and includes a few bonus from multi-attack powers. You are gonna miss with half of em. So you add +8 damage per encounter.

A sneak attack would deal 2d6 per encounter which is +7 damage, which happens AFTER you hit. With 5 encounters per day standard, thats 35 damage bonus!

Maybe a ranger quarry would be a more fair comparison.

---------

The problem with the sorcerer-flying thing is that you no longer gain any cover from allies/obstacles, and definitely become a big unobstructed target for their ranged guys.

I agree that Platinum scales is a sick beating for any STR-based guy. YOu basically become invincible for an entire encounter!
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
I was going to include barbarian, but then it occurred to me that, well, +1 to damage from a feat is nice, but not all that impressive - and the barbarian effect is worse than that except for proponents of the 5-minute workday.

For the sorceror-flying vs obstacles thing - yeah, it's not for every encounter. On the other hand, you also have a clear shot on their ranged guys, and in cases where the enemies are primarily nonflying melee who can't reach the ceiling, it's solid gold. (admittedly, that's fewer and fewer fights as the levels go on, and I don't think this kicks in until somewhere in paragon, but...) Also, it's really just as much about the noncombat benefits as the combat benefits - and if your battlespace has something like a large statue that you can perch on/behind, you get the best of both worlds.

I'll include a bit about damage-dealing MCs in general, I suppose.
I was going to include barbarian, but then it occurred to me that, well, +1 to damage from a feat is nice, but not all that impressive - and the barbarian effect is worse than that except for proponents of the 5-minute workday.

Was the MC Barbarian feat nerfed? I thought it was +2 untyped dmg bonus for the encounter (daily).
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
- Sorceror flight: a sorceror multiclass feat, a utility powerswap, and a good dex can get you a fly-and-never-fall speed that will let you flit around the tops of tall rooms, firing bolts of flamey death (or icey death, or arrows or crossbow bolts or whatever) down upon anyone you happen to dislike. Also, being able to fly as far as you like just because is really quite handy in a number of noncombat and combat-prep situations (Anyone recall which level the utility is?)

It is level 16 but it does not exactly give you a fly speed. It just allows your target (you or an ally) to fly a number of squares equal to your dexterity for a move action. Which means that if you stop and cast or end your round at midair, you fall.
It is level 16 but it does not exactly give you a fly speed. It just allows your target (you or an ally) to fly a number of squares equal to your dexterity for a move action. Which means that if you stop and cast or end your round at midair, you fall.

uhhm, as long as you have a dex mod of +2 or higher you qualify for the flying rules, which state that you need to fly at least 2 quares in your turn or crash, so yes, it technically does give you a fly speed, sinc eyou can target yourself with it every turn as a move action to fly dex mod squares. Casting does not cause you to crash though, nor does stopping in midair, since it doesn't state anywhere that you fall if you take those actions.
-flying rules, page 47 of the Dungeon Masters guide
Was the MC Barbarian feat nerfed? I thought it was +2 untyped dmg bonus for the encounter (daily).

Nope - just that +2 damage for one encounter a day is worse (for most parties) than +1 damage constant. Regardless, it's been folded into the more general case.

Edit: Also, the_LICH, in your .sig, don't you mean "Daily Powers are excluded *from* this rule."?
Anyone who has the stats can go MC Warlord and swap for Guileful Switch, which is stat-independent and awfully handy. Probably makes that particular Healing MC case sky blue unless your base class has really good level 6 utilities.

Which many do, of course.
Sneak Attack is a great class feature for Sorcerers and Warlocks who use daggers as implements. Since their attack spells are from a light blade, they can use Sneak Attack damage like it was any other Rogue Power.
Sneak attack is nice for DoubleSword wielding high Dex/ShockTrooper style Tempest Fighters as well.
Anyone who has the stats can go MC Warlord and swap for Guileful Switch, which is stat-independent and awfully handy. Probably makes that particular Healing MC case sky blue unless your base class has really good level 6 utilities.

Hmm...

I'm not sold on it. I can see where it would be useful, but a utility swap costs a feat, costs the initial utility power, *and* controls which class you MC to. That's not a trivial cost. For the utility swaps, I'm really (at the moment) mostly looking for strong at-wills - the things that (like native flight and teleport) really open up your options tactically and/or give you significant benefits out of combat - or, barring that, daily powers that can seriously change the dynamic of one encounter a day (like the platinum scales trick). I'm sure that there are encounter utilities that I'd find sufficiently impressive, but...

For an example of the level we're looking at, the native teleport trick just naturally includes immunity to movement-based opportunity attacks, the ability to ignore difficult terrain, the ability to largely ignore obstacles and dangerous terrain, and an effective immunity to immobilization and slow. - plus a number of other handy features. (and yes, it *is* a personal favorite, and I'm looking forward to being able to exploit it in my next character)

Also, I've heard strange stories of odd combos involving Guileful Switch. I honestly don't think Guileful Switch was intended to give you a free move and standard action, though it's written a bit poorly.

Sneak Attack is a great class feature for Sorcerers and Warlocks who use daggers as implements. Since their attack spells are from a light blade, they can use Sneak Attack damage like it was any other Rogue Power.

It's functional, and might even be dark blue in that case, but they still need combat advantage, and it still only hits one target, once per encounter. Also, this is trying to be advice for general cases. "Sorcerers and Warlocks who use daggers as implements" starts to stray away from that. In any case, it's not enough of an exception to specifically break them out of the pack - especially when so many of those sorcerers are multiclassing to rogue for paragon paths anyway. (on a side note, sorcerers *also* really like the barbarian multiclass - +2 per damage roll goes a long way when you're focused on hitting lots of people with area effects. That's not enough reason to break barbarians out of the pack *either*.
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Bravo is an amazing choice for a 'if nothing better' MC choice.

Minor action to gain untyped +2 to attack/damage without any conditionals until EoNT against one target is even better than Action Surge.

You don't get any skill training, but...
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Bravo is an amazing choice for a 'if nothing better' MC choice.

Minor action to gain untyped +2 to attack/damage without any conditionals until EoNT against one target is even better than Action Surge.

You don't get any skill training, but...

Actually, you get training in Intimidate. So, even better....

t~
Bravo? What book is this from?
Bravo? What book is this from?

Dragon Magazine 373.

t~
Ah. not available to me, then - though, like a lot of Dragon stuff, it does sound a notch better than the comparable feats printed in the books.
The one I can't seem to stop using is MC Warlord and then MC Utility Feat for Rousing Words, half your (or a friend within 5 squares) total HP back as a minor action encounter power, yes please. Even other leaders can benefit from taking them two feats.
Ah. not available to me, then - though, like a lot of Dragon stuff, it does sound a notch better than the comparable feats printed in the books.

Yeah it almost seems like Dragon has a Make Your Own Feat/Powers section where anyone can just send in stuff for them to print. Course the mag stuff was always a bit more out there in the past too, this is the first edition we ever used it in my group.
Soldier of the Faith (Paladin) for anything cha based that can get away. Getting a Paladin Eyebite isn't a good idea - but getting a Feylock the Paladin mark is just nasty.

Avenger Because who wouldn't want to halve their chance of missing when they are about to unleash a daily or an action point/multiattack combo?

The Rogue MC does more damage than the warlock or ranger ones. But the Barbarian one is really impressive if you are throwing around multi-target powers (Dragon and Cosmic sorcerors, I'm looking at you).

And the Shaman MC gets really nice if you throw a paragon feat at it so you can summon as a minor action.
I've done something on Bard multiclass feats which might be useful here.
Barb + a Barb Daily for Rage is good imo
Barbarian is ok, but not amazing.

Even with a +2 damage, it only lasts 1 encounter per day. You make what... say 8 attacks per encounter? I think that is generous and includes a few bonus from multi-attack powers. You are gonna miss with half of em. So you add +8 damage per encounter.

A sneak attack would deal 2d6 per encounter which is +7 damage, which happens AFTER you hit. With 5 encounters per day standard, thats 35 damage bonus!

If you're not using a light blade, sling, or crossbow, Sneak Attack adds exactly 0 damage per encounter. Hunter's Quarry isn't significantly better than the Barbarian multiclass, because it only works for 1 round per encounter and you're not much more likely to hit with it. The longer the battle, the more powerful the Barbarian multiclass becomes, and battles against solos and elites tend to go long.
Sorceror doesn't grant an attack power; it grants a damage bonus. Invoker does grant an attack power.

It doesn't look to me like Bard and Wizard multiclass feats grant Ritual Caster. Is this something from Arcane Power? (I've been using a friend's copy and don't have it with me.)

The Sorceror flight spell is "Energetic Flight", a level 6 utility spell.
Various responses...

- I believe Sorceror grants an attack power in Arcane Power, no? Any other ones that I'm missing?

- the ritual caster feats are indeed from Arcane power.

- The sorceror flight spell is a good deal higher than 6th level, and is an at-will, rather than a daily.

- Barb + good rage is a lot like Warden + good protector form or fighter + good stance. They're generally pretty solid choices for str characters, but they take real resources (ie, one of your four-ever daily powers). They also tend to be pretty build-specific - a generic rage probably isn't going to be any better than the daily you'd give up to get it. The real value comes when you pick the right rage/form/stance to compement the rest of your build. It's beyond the scope of this post.

- the Avenger power is quite nice... and right up there with the other striker powers.

- Where are you getting the ability to throw a feat into the shaman MC to make it a summon minor? I don't see that anywhere, and I've looked through the books.
Regarding Sorceror multiclass feat granting attack power: So Arcane Power replaces the base multiclass feats from PHB? Curious.

PBH2 doesn't have any Sorcerer at-wills above level 1, so this too must be from Arcane Power. Would be good to tag the book for anything that's not in the PHB1.

Nimble Spirit is Epic tier and makes summoning the Spirit Companion a free action (not a minor).
Nimble spirit is paragon tier, and requires the Companion Spirit class feature - which the multiclass feat does not give you. (The multiclass feat gives you the call spirit companion power, but that's only part of the total feature - so no feat qualification).

Arcane power, like martial power, added additional multiclass feats to the existing classes. It didn't replace any.

edit: silly typos.
Nimble spirit is paragon tier, and requires the Companion Spirit class feature - which the multiclass feat does not give you. (The multiclass feat gives you the call spirit companion power, but that's only part of the total feature - so no feat qualification).

Ah, see, this is what makes the game so bloody frustrating at times. You call a companion spirit, but you don't have a companion spirit! WTF? ;)

Arcane power, like partial power, added additional multiclass feats to the existing classes. It didn't replace any.

Yeah, I got a look last night. It looks like they have steeper stat requirements and give you different things.
What is MID/MAD?
What is MID/MAD?

MID is multiple implement dependency and MAD is multiple ability dependency (both links are to the same post).

They refer to problems that can arise when you try to use too many different types of powers.

t~
Just my 2c but if I were to rate MC feats in terms of damage for most of my builds the Avenger MC feat seems to stand out the most. For most characters its +5 to hit for 3 attacks, and one pearl of it is that it can be used in sticky spots when you can't flank and really need to open up the hurt.

That being said its certainly debatable that Bravo is as good / better depending on how many attacks you have. Still for printed MC feats, I think Avenger may be the best for making sure your big push ability lands. Because no amount of +damage or +hit can save you from that awful *1* that comes up on your "Save the Day" daily attack or rescue power. I mean if you're flanking, target stunned and prone, a 1 will still miss and then its goodbye Daily and next turn the stunned Dragon wakes up and toasts everyone.
Updated for DP. Feedback appreciated.
Could you spell out the swaps and sources pls? I can't find a warlock 10 at-will teleport utility, and I have nearly all the books.
Could you spell out the swaps and sources pls? I can't find a warlock 10 at-will teleport utility, and I have nearly all the books.

Ethereal Sidestep is the power in question, and it's not from a book. It's from PH Heroes: Series 1. If you have Insider you can look it up on the Compendium or in the Character Builder.

t~

edit: SanityFaerie, I haven't seen Divine Power, but if you're right about Hero of Faith, I agree that's the best choice by far for any melee character.
No, really, that's what it says. I re-read it a couple of times to be sure. I honestly think they meant it to be a daily power. It requires a wisdom of 15, so as a daily it's not awful. As an encounter power, it's broken right in half - and, other than the stat requirement, strictly better than the other avenger multiclass power (by far) (not to say that you can't, or shouldn't take both).
Platinum Scales is an immediate INTERRUPT. As such, it works just fine vs the first attack made against you. You do NOT have to 'let it hit you' in order to be protected for the rest of the encounter.

Another excellent utility until you get Scales, is Draconic Majesty at level 16.

It 1/2s the movement of all foes within 2 squares of you, prevents them from shifting, AND applies a STR-mod PENALTY to their attacks until the end of next turn.

And its an ENCOUNTER ABILITY!

That can seriously tide you over until you get Draconic Majesty.
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
NM
I can't find an Avenger Multiclass feat called "Hero of Faith" on DDI. Disciple of Divine Wrath is the only one I can find, and the two attack rolls thing only works until the end of your next turn, NOT until the end of the encounter as the OP states. It is still an encounter power. Still potent, but not quite so game breaking.

My guess is the OP went through the multiclass feats on the Character Builder without actually checking the book text. Note that the CB does indeed mention that it only lasts until end of next turn, but does it in a seperate paragraph from the power readout. Just goes to show you that the Character Builder is not verbatim and should not be relied on as a rules source.

The one the OP is referring to is in Divine Power. DDI/Character Builder won't be updated with the DP stuff until early next month.
How about using Divine Channeler to take Healer's Mercy. It has its limits, but you still dish out a lot of healing whenever things get dicey in battle.
Sign In to post comments