The Frozen Summoner (PEACH)

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a couple of different wizards in my mind. Summoners seemed generally weak, cold wizards seemed to be decent, and Epic Orb Wizards are just plain unfun; winning a battle with a single spell just doesn't make a fun evening. So I combined the 3, and I think it worked.
Optimized for fun (and with a pretty effective panic button too), I present you:

THE FROZEN SUMMONER

Level 30
Eladrin Wizard - Rimetongue Caller - Winter Sovereign
STR 10, CON 22, DEX 17, INT 26, WIS 15 ,CHA 13
Hitpoints: 186
Defenses: AC 45, Fort 45, Ref 47, Will 42
Items: +6 Earthroot Staff, +6 Displacer Starleather Armor, +6 Brooch of Vitality, +5 Architect's Staff, +5 Orb of Inescapable Consequences, +1 Defensive Staff, Phrenic Crown (epic), Tome of Arrest +1
Feats: Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Spell Focus, Vengeful Summoner, Arcane Mastery, Paragon Defenses, Arcane Admixture (Cold, Wall of Fire), Improved Staff of Defense, Improved Tome of Binding, Lasting Frost, Leather Armor Proficiency, Toughness, Implement Expertise, Careful Summoner, Arcane Fire, Wintertouched, Second Implement Mastery (Tome of Binding), Background (add Primordial to languages known)
Powers:
At-Will: Illusory Ambush, Scorching Burst
Encounter: Crushing Titan's Fist, Wall of Winter, Freezing Bolts, Sequestering Force
Daily: Summon Living Mountain/Greater Ice Storm, Prismatic Spray/Summon Abysmal Horde, Summon Rimefire Brute, Summon Black Devourer/Evard's Black Tentacles

Summoned Creatures

(Assuming they are called with Icy Calling and selected with Winter's Bite)
Living Mountain
Huge, 94hps+10temp; AC 50, F50, R48, W43;
Speed 3, Frostbite Aura 1 (10 cold damage), Immune to cold
Melee Reach 3, +32(+34 with CA) vs Fort, 2d8+1d6+20 cold damage and knock prone
Close Burst 5 (enemy only), +32(+34 with CA) vs Fort, 1d10+1d6+20 cold and knock prone

Abysmal Horde (3 creatures)
Medium, 94hps+10temp; AC 46, F46, R48, W43;
Speed 6, Frostbite Aura 1 (10 cold damage), Immune to cold
Melee 1, +32(+34 with CA) vs Ref, 3d6+20 cold damage (one attack per creature)

Black Devourer
Large, 94hps+10temp, AC 50, F46, R48, W47;
Speed 5, Frostbite Aura 1 (10 cold damage), Immune to cold
Melee Reach 2, +32(+2 CA, +4 grabbed) vs Ref, 2d4+1d6+20 (+4 if grabbed) cold damage and target is grabbed.
Knocks prone with opportunity attacks.

Rimefire Brute
Large, 94hps+10temp, AC 48, F50, R48, W43;
Speed 5, Frostbite Aura 2 (10 cold damage), Immune to cold
Melee Reach 2, +32(+34 with CA) vs AC, 2d10+1d6+20 cold and knock prone.
1/encounter, Clost Blast 3, +32(+34 with CA) vs Fort, 2d8+1d6+20 cold and immobilized (save ends)

Tactics:
The frozen summoner himself doesn't like combat very much, he'll stay in the background as much as possible. He loves being invisible, sitting in a mansion or flying above the battlefield on his raven while commanding his summoned monsters do the fighting.
His standard tactic is as simple as it is effective: Put enemies in a place that hurts them, and keep them there.
He uses the Architect's Staff to summon a Wall of Fire or Wall of Winter on top of his enemies. Then, he blocks as many exits as possible (if not all) with Illusory Wall (or wall of Ice if he wanted them dead quicker). Enemies that manage to find a way out, are prevented from leaving by the Summoners allies.
If allies are unwilling to assist the Summoner's cunning plan, he creates new (and better) allies. The Chainbearer can slide enemies back into painful places (or away from the Summoner), The Black Devourer can grab enemies while himself ignoring the icy cold. Abysmal Hordes use their numbers (not to mention their triple damaging auras) to encourage enemies to stay where they are. Rimefire Brute knocks enemies prone, as does The Mountain, who also, well... just stands in the way really. Did I mention they all have a damaging aura too?
Since nearly every attack is cold, you and your pets will have constant Combat Advantage and their aura and attacks will deal extra damage too.
The summoner tries to only spend action points on regaining his daily powers with Arcane Mastery. He doesn't like to get tired.
Oh, before I forget to mention: always have a backup plan!
Plan B, which is more effective (but a lot less fun at the table):
When in trouble, pull out your Orb of Inescapable Consequences and hit (or miss, it doesn't really matter) your enemy(ies) with a chilled Prismatic Spray. They won't like it, or the -16 to the save they need to get out of that nasty stun and damage effect. Also, with a little luck, the enemy will be petrified indefinately thanks to Frozen in Ice.
Only use this in case of extreme emergency though, because let's face it, Orb Wizards are fun for a theoretical build, but noone wanted to win the game in a single round... just know that you can should you need to.

Level 1

The Frozen Summoner
Eladrin Wizard(/Rimetong Caller/Winter Sovereign)
STR 8, CON 15, DEX 15, INT 18, WIS 13 ,CHA 10
Defenses (With non-magical Staff and Leather Armor) AC 17, Fort 12, Ref 14, Will 12
Feats: Leather Armor Proficiency, Background (add Primordial to languages known)
Powers:
Encounter: Grasping Shadows
Daily: Summon Fire Warrior, Flaming Sphere

Level 2-10

Lvl2: Feat:Toughness, Utility: Shield, Phantasmal Terrain
Lvl3: Encounter: Icy Rays
Lvl4: +1 Int, +1 Con, Feat: Implement Expertise
Lvl5: Daily: Stinking Cloud, Summon Abyssal Maw
Lvl6: Feat: Careful Summoner, Utility: Wall of Fog, Summon Iron Cohort
Lvl7: Encounter: Winter's Wrath
Lvl8: Feat: Arcane Fire, +1 Int, +1 Con
Lvl9: Daily: Wall of Fire, Ice Storm
Lvl10: Feat: Wintertouched, Utility: Blur, Illusory Wall

Level 11

Level 11
Eladrin Wizard/Rimetong Caller/Winter Sovereign
STR 9, CON 18, DEX 16, INT 21, WIS 14 ,CHA 11
Hitpoints: 78
Defenses: AC 24, Fort 20, Ref 22, Will 19
(Summons have 39hps, AC 25, Fort 21, Ref 23, Will 20 and deal +4 damage)
Powers:
Encounter: Grasping Shadows, Icy Rays, Winter's Wrath, Wall of Winter
Daily: Summon Fire Warrior/Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud/Summon Abyssal Maw, Wall of Fire/Ice Storm
Items: +2 Architect's Staff, +1 Staff of Defense, +2 Leather Elven Battle Armor, +2 Cloak of Resistance, +1 Tome of Arrest
Lvl11: Feat: Second Implement Mastery (Tome of Binding), All Stats +1

Level 12-20

Lvl12: Feat: Lasting Frost, Utility: Icy Calling
Lvl13: Encounter: Frostburn (replaces Grasping Shadows)
Lvl14: Feat: Improved Tome of Binding, +1 Int, +1 Con
Lvl15: Daily: Summon Chainbearer, Wall of Ice (replaces Fire Warrior, Flaming Sphere)
Lvl16: Feat: Improved Staff of Defense, Utility: Summon Diamond Falcon, Greater Invisibility
Lvl17: Encounter: Crushing Titan's First (replaces Icy Rays)
Lvl18: Feat: Arcane Admixture (Cold, Wall of Fire), +1 Int, +1 Con
Lvl19: Daily: Summon Black Devourer, Evard's Black Tentacles (replaces Stinking Cloud, Summon Abyssal Maw)
Lvl20: Feat: Paragon Defenses, Daily: Summon Rimefire Brute

[sblock="Level 21"]
Level 21
Eladrin Wizard/Rimetong Caller/Winter Sovereign
STR 10, CON 21, DEX 17, INT 24, WIS 15 ,CHA 12
Hitpoints: 136
Defenses: AC 36, Fort 33, Ref 34, Will 30
(Summons have base 68hps+10temporary, +1 all defenses and deal +5 damage)
Items: +4 Displacer Feyleather Armor, +4 Earthroot Staff, +4 Brooch of Vitality, +3 Tome of Arrest, +3 Architect's Staff, +1 Defensive Staff
Powers:
Encounter: Wall of Winter, Winter's Wrath, Frostburn, Crushing Titan's Fist
Daily: Summon Chainbearer, Blast of Cold, Summon Black Devourer, Evard's Black Tentacles, Wall of Fire, Ice Storm
Lvl21: Feat: Arcane Mastery, All Stats +1, Retrain: Robust Defenses (lose Paragon Defenses)
[/sblock]
Level 22-30

Lvl22: Utility: Time Stop, Mordenkainen's Mansion, Feat: Wizard Implement Expertise
Lvl23: Encounter: Freezing Bolts (Lose Winter's Wrath)
Lvl24: Feat: Vengeful Summoner, +1 Int, +1 Cha, Winter's Bite (ED Feature)
Lvl25: Daily: Prismatic Spray, Summon Abyssal Horde (Lose Wall of Fire, Ice Storm) Retrain: Arcane Admixture now affects Prismatic Spray
Lvl26: Feat: Spell Focus, Utility: Rime Armor
Lvl27: Encounter: Sequestering Force (Lose Frostburn)
Lvl28: Feat: Epic Fortitude, +1 Int, +1 Con
Lvl29: Daily: Summon Living Mountain, Greater Ice Storm (Lose Chainbearer, Wall of Ice)
Lvl30: Feat: Epic Reflexes, Frozen in Ice (ED Feature)

Q: Wait, you're summoning with a Tome while wielding an Earthroot Staff in one hand and a Defensive Staff in the other? (And other implement-related issues.)
A: Thanks to mage hand, it's only a minor action to switch implements. The only reason we actually want a Tome is because of the damage bonus your summon gets from Tome of Binding. The summoning spells are minor actions and are ranged so can be put right next to the enemy, spend a move(changed to minor) action to stuff the Tome in your backpack and get something that's actually useful and you still have a standard action left to command the attack.

Please comment, please be polite. (This is the first complete build I post, all fixes and pointers to make things shinier are welcomed.)
I was messing around with this build through the Builder, can't seem to find rime tongue caller though, is it MC'd? if so, where did you retrain to fit it in?

Edit:I must be looking in the wrong area, but I can't seem to find spell focus either. lvl 26 feat
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Spell Focus is from PHB, the -2 to enemy saves feat. Req 13 Cha, which is why I boost Cha at 24 instead of Con.
Rimetongue Caller is a wizard PP from Arcane Power... Damn it! It requires primordial as language, that'll probably be the problem.
Any background feats that add a/primordial language? Don't have any feat slots left.
Raised among Race, IIRC lets you pick one of the racial skills or language.

So you could have the background "Raised among the Genasi" I think.
Great, thanks!
Strange though, the ED requires you to be a fey race and describes you as a Winter Lord of the Feywild... so obviously some Eladrins are meant to have close connections to the elemental forces.
I guess I'll just add something generic like "background feat that gives you primordial as bonus language".
for use in the builder, I've found several backgrounds that allow you to pick up a new language.

Forgotten Realms - Baldur's Gate, Dragon Coast, Luruar, Waterdeep,
Scales of War - Explorer/Guide, Merchant Prince, Traveling Missionary,
General - Occupation:Bounty Hunter, Occupation:Infiltrator

Like I said, I'm using the DnD builder, so it might be a bit buggy. Hope this helps.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Does the character builder say anything about the summons?
This build is pretty much based on thinking/hoping that Arcane Admixture or Winter's Bite change their attacks to cold and that this works for giving CA versus enemies given Vulnerability with their attacks.
Not that I can tell, but it is still buggy since they last update.

as far feats were concerned, I don't see why not on an RP level.

As a tear in the fabric of reality widens, frost covered hands reach out to grasp the material world. A trio grinning Abyssal creatures covered in ice and cold as winter step forth to do your bidding.

I'm sure it is a subject that hasn't been broached with Errata yet since its a new mechanic. I was wondering myself if summoned creatures get benifits from your feats. In the games I DM they will.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I really like this build. I am even considering playing something similar in my next game, since it seems to be much more fun than your typical Orbizard.

I have a few questions, though.

He loves being invisible, sitting in a mansion or flying above the battlefield on his raven while commanding his summoned monsters do the fighting.

Are you sure attacks from summoned creatures don't count as attacks from you for the purposes of Greater Invisibility or Summon Diamond Falcon? After all, you are making the attack rolls using your bonuses. I am asking because I honestly don't know, and could see a DM ruling either way.

STR 8, CON 15, DEX 15, INT 18, WIS 13 ,CHA 10

Why start with DEX 15? I know it is very efficient point-buy wise to buy dex up to 13 and then add the +2 from Eladrin. However, this build doesn't really use the extra Dexterity at all. Starting with Dex 13 would be sufficient to meet the requirements for Wizard implement Expertise by Epic.

On the other hand, you might want to spend feats to utilize this Dex instead. Maybe pick up Arcane Reach, Dual Implement Spellcaster, Quick Draw, or Seize the Moment?

A: Thanks to mage hand, it's only a minor action to switch implements. The only reason we actually want a Tome is because of the damage bonus your summon gets from Tome of Binding. The summoning spells are minor actions and are ranged so can be put right next to the enemy, spend a move(changed to minor) action to stuff the Tome in your backpack and get something that's actually useful and you still have a standard action left to command the attack.

While I agree with the above, I still think the limitation on the number of actions you can take in a round would be the biggest problem with this build (and Summoner builds in general). It seems like it would be especially bad if you are sustaining one or more Wall spells and have to summon another creature.

Mordenkainen's Lucubration might be a good Utility spell to pick up if sustaining spells turns out to be an issue in combat.

It might be a good idea to pick up additional ways to quickly retrieve items if you have to keep switching implements on the fly. Perhaps Quick Draw, Battle Harness Armor, or probably best of all, Arcane Familiar (disembodied hand/rakshasa claw).

I know this is easier said than done though. You are pretty tight on feats as it is. I am personally not the biggest fan of Vengeful Summoner. That said, I am not sure how often summoned creatures actually die in practice, so it may be more useful than I think.
Polearm Fighter Build Thread:The Reacher
Why don't you use a human? They know 1 additional language on top of Common, and Primordial isn't among the restricted list at character creation so you can choose it.

You could have something like:

Human wizard
Wizard Implement Mastery: Staff

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 30 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, History +9, Religion +9, Insight +6, Dungeonering +6

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Human: Toughness

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Illusory Ambush
Warden at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Chilling Cloud
Warden encounter 1: Grasping Shadows
Warden daily 1: Summon Fire Warrior, Flaming Sphere

You would effectively free up a feat slot to do what you want. If you find a second slot to spare (arcane fire?), so can get both Arcane Familiar (get a disembodied hand) and Quick Draw, allowing you to stow away an item as a free action and to retrieve another item as a free action each turn (not to mention +2 Initiative) to manage your implements.
Why don't you use a human?

Unfortunately, Winter Sovereign ED requires Fey Origin, which pretty much limits it to Eladrin, Elves, and Drow.

You might be able to make a similar build using humans and a different Epic Destiny, though.
Polearm Fighter Build Thread:The Reacher

Interestingly enough, the human wizard in my campaign group is playing a character almost identical to this one.

I'm playing a level 15 Human Rimetongue Caller Cold Summoner right now. As far as I can see, the subtype on the summon is changed with Arcane Admixture to cold, and the Utility gives it the cold damage (If you didn't think it got cold damage from AA already). I do some pretty good damage, my summons hit for about (including our item upgrades from last session) dice +34. He's a lot of fun, and I'd even consider playing him again in a campaign down the road.

side notes:
 - you really ought to retrain your paragon defenses to Epic Will at some point.  Given that you already have Epic Fortitude and Epic Reflexes, it's just a straight +3 to your will defense.
- Implement Expertise needs to specify which implement it is.
- it seems a waste to start cha at 10 and then sink a level-up boost into it.  If you take 1 out of wisdom initially so that you don't ahve to boost it on level-up (which only costs you some riders in paragon, as far as I can tell) and then strip 2 out of initial dex for a con boost, you wind up with an extra point of conmod pretty much all the way through the game.  Your initiative drops by one, your paragon-level will drops by one, your fortitude increases by one, you get one more surge, two more hp, and an extra +1 to damage on your summons.  Am I missing something?
Great build, but some comments/possible improvements using modern options:

• The Orb angle has been significantly weakened, to the point where the Earthroot Staff probably isn't worthwhile any longer - a Staff of Ruin (slotted with a Siberys Shard of the Mage) is better, especially when you run the Abyssal Horde.

• Do you use your starting Dex 15 for anything? Otherwise, you could exchange two points of Dex for one point of Con.

• I suspect that the build could be sharpened by moving to a Wizard|Swordmage hybrid rather than pure Wizard.

• There are some other updates taht would also improve it, such as switching to modern At-Wills.You can do worse than having Swordburst + Winged Horde as your At-Wills.

• Unless I'm mistaken, you will only be able to use your U12 to buff on one out of the three Abyssal Maws summed using Abyssal Horde.

• If you have one or two feats to spare, you can MC Warlock, take the Student of the Athanaeum feat, and pick up a couple of Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heavily nerfed, but still quite good) to add the Frost keyword once per encounter. This would make the Arcane Admixture feat unnecessary. Effectively paying one feat and a minor amount of cash to get a some extra damage and an extra daily sounds like a great deal to me.

... If allies are unwilling to assist the Summoner's cunning plan, he creates new (and better) allies. The Chainbearer can slide enemies back into painful places (or away from the Summoner), The Black Devourer can grab enemies while himself ignoring the icy cold. Abysmal Hordes use their numbers (not to mention their triple damaging auras) to encourage enemies to stay where they are.

According to the exact definition, it seems like a large (or larger creature) could be affected by multiple auras as the auras themselves do not overlap.  But Small & Medium are not as the zones themselves would overlap.
Thoughts?
===
Aura

An aura is a continuous effect that emanates from a creature. The aura affects each square within line of effect and within a specified range of that creature’s space. The aura does not affect that creature, unless otherwise noted, and is unaffected by terrain or environmental phenomena.

A creature can deactivate or reactivate its aura as a minor action. If the creature dies, the aura ends immediately. If auras overlap and impose penalties to the same roll or game statistic, a creature affected by the overlapping auras is subject to the worst penalty; the penalties are not cumulative. Similarly, a creature in the overlapping area takes damage only from the aura that deals the most damage, regardless of damage type.

Anyone know of a more updated summoner-build?
I found this via "the complete collection of character build links"

I need a build that makes my summons withstand beating.
Sign In to post comments