Tuluk ES Warden: "I will break you" (PEACH)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I tried to make a warden build that specializes in action denial. This is what I have so far I'd like as much advise as I can get.

These are my main goals:
1) Deny opponents actions
2) Be though to kill
3) Do decent damage so I'm not spending all of my powers on a single target.

The Basics
the basics
Tuluk, level 30
Goliath, Warden, Stoneblessed, Eternal Seeker
Build: Earth Warden
Guardian Might: Earthstrength
Seeking Destiny: Starburst

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature, Perception, Endurance, Athletics

Level 1
Powers
At-wills:Weight of the Earth and Strength of Stone
Encounter: Thunder Ram assault
Daily: Form of Winter's Herald[/sblock]
Feat: Sudden Roots
I chose Weight of the Earth for the at-will slow effect, add Sudden Roots and I can slow with OA's. And Form of Winter's Herald is perfect to keep enemies next to you.

Level 2
Powers
Utilitiy Nature's Abundance
Feat: Improved Initiative

Level 3
Encounter:Earthgrasp Strike

This meets two of my goals; by knocking them prone they possibly miss a move action, and when they stand up they take decent damage.

Level 4: Feat: Weapon Expertise

Level 5: Daily: Hail of Thorn It was either this or Winter's Grip, ended up with this one because: 1) vs. Relex is better than vs.Fort, 2)Even if I miss they are slowed

Level 6: Feat: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Utilitiy Bear's Endurance
GGP adds to my damage and Bear's Endurance brings me back from dying

Level 7: Encounter:Mountain Hammer
This could very well mean that the enemy will miss for a whole turn

Level 8: Crushing Earthstrength
I pretty much can afford to use second wind every encounter so this is good for the occasional damage bonus

Level 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Increases Reach, Makes enemy feel sorry for attacking you, and prevent an ally from being damaged

Level 10: FeatMarkings of the Victor
UtilitiyWarding Vines
Rolling twice so I have a lesser chance of missing and Resistance equal to my Constitution modifier for the duration of the encounter (provided I don't leave the area)

Level 11: Stoneblessed Features Stonehide Action, Unusual Reach
Stoneblessed Encounter:Mountain Sweep
Feat Toughness
The bonus to AC is good for when enemies get ****** at you. Unusual Reach is excellent, with this I can attack enemies 3 squares away with my halberd. Mountain Sweep is good for when you need to deal damage alone. And Toughness is great for every Warden

Level 12: Stoneblessed Utilitiy Summit Advantage
Feat Revitalizing Font of Life
Treatening Reach once per encounter is good for adding up the slows from Grasping Roots. Revitalizing Font of Life makes it much more easier to end those pesky SE effects.

Level 13: Encounter: Ponderous Strike (replaces Thunder Ram Assault)
Attack a guy adjacent to you and he can't move without provoking OA's

Level 14: Feat Earthstrenght Resolve
THP when they decide to ignore you

Level 15: Daily: Form of the Rowan Sentinel (replaces Hail of Thorns)
I chose to replace winter's grip because of the awesomeness of Winter's Herald and Oak Sentinel; I decided to choose this form over Stonecrusher because as 4lf4w0lf explains:
4lf4w0lf wrote:
While I can totally see where you are coming from on the lvl 15 power choice (form of the stonecrusher) it is tough for me to not suggest you go rowan sentinel. RS really allows you to extend your defensive capabilities by giving you a total of melee reach 3 and marking all targets out to 3 sqs from you. Granted that stonecrusher is really great for knocking targets prone but on the other hand it is just until save ends. Other then that I really don't think that stonecrusher has much going for it (you already have enough AC and want to make sure that you stay around that 2 AC differential for your weakest AC ally to make your mark effective). Rowan is great for a whole encounter, stonecrusher is great for one attack until the baddies save.

Level 16: Stoneblessed Feature Mountain Crush
Feat Against All Odds
Utilitiy Verdant Life
Mountain Crush adds to damage dealt when I crit with a two handed weapon; Against All Odds is good since I will have many enemies near me, giving me +1 to att and dmg; and Verdant Life is two Healing Surges for a Minor once per day

Level 17: Encounter: Eager Vine Strike (Replaces Earthgrasp Strike)
It immobilizes and reduce AC for the enemy

Level 18: Feat Armor Specialization (Hide)

Level 19: Daily: Blizzard Strike (Replaces Form of the Oak Sentinel)
I already have permanent reach so I can afford to rid myself of Oak Sentinel, Blizzard Strike slowed SE, if the enemy fails to save it, it immobilzes and if they fail again it restrains SE. Also every enemy within 3 squares of you is slowed till the end of your next turn

Level 20: Stoneblessed Daily: Avalanche Assault
Deadly Axe
Treating my halberd as a Hi-crit weapon helps in the damage department while Avalanche Assault is perfect for a high damage attack followed by a stance that lets you move over enemies your size or smaller and adds constitution modifier to at-will damage

Level 21: Eternal Wanderer Feature Seeker of many paths
Feat Ancient Stone
With Seeker of many paths I will later on choose two encounter and one daily power that will help with my action denial. Ancient stone grants resistance for an extra round

Level 22: Utilitiy Renewal
Feat Epic Reflexes
Gaining an Encounter Power while spending a healing sure helps a lot when you need to mess around with your enemies plans. And seeing as how being a warden with no shield tends to give you abysmal reflex the feat choice is almost automatic

Level 23: Paladin Encounter:Resounding Smite (replaces Mountain Hammer)
Proning is good, proning many is better

Level 24: Eternal Seeker Feature Eternal Action
Feat Axe mastery
Eternal Action basically allows you to act as if you have spent an action pint for two turns. The increased crit range of Axe Mastery is not bad either

Level 25: Daily: Form of the Blood Wolf (replaces Blizzard Strike)
If it were up to me I would simply not replace any powers here, either way if you don't like the result simply retrain at your first chance back into a favorable attack.

Level 26: Eternal Seeker Feature Seeker's Lore: Unyielding (Fighter Utility)
Feat Enduring Font
Unyielding restores you to maximum hit points after being attacked, Enduring Font allows you to roll two saving throws against different effects at the beginning of your turn

Level 27: Paladin Encounter: Stunning Smite (Replaces Eager Vine Strike)
An attack against Will that stuns one and then up to 8 more

Level 28: Feat Epic Will

Level 29: Barbarian Daily: World Serpent Rage (replaces Form of the Blood Wolf)
7[W]damage, if they shift while next to me y get to make a Melee Basic Attack as a free action, and +5 to damage against enemies that were adjacent to me at the start of my turn

Level 30: Eternal Seeker Feature Seeking Destiny: Starburst (from Radiant One ED)
Feat Triumphant Attack
Resurrection once per day from Starburst. If I crit an enemy he takes a -2 to att and damage rolls, SE.

ITEMS
Grasping Halberd +6, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +6, Nullifying Ring (epic tier), Bloodcut Voidhide +6, Coif of Mindiron (paragon tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Greatreach Gauntlets (paragon tier), Belt of Mountain Endurance (paragon tier), Ring of Invigoration (paragon tier), Boots of Free Movement (heroic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier)

Most lower level utilities are dispensable and replaceable as you level up
To be perfectly honest you have a really solid ES warden build here. There is not much to comment on and I think this build is going to be great for what you want it for. My only suggestions would be:

- While I can totally see where you are coming from on the lvl 15 power choice (form of the stonecrusher) it is tough for me to not suggest you go rowan sentinel. RS really allows you to extend your defensive capabilities by giving you a total of melee reach 3 and marking all targets out to 3 sqs from you. Granted that stonecrusher is really great for knocking targets prone but on the other hand it is just until save ends. Other then that I really don't think that stonecrusher has much going for it (you already have enough AC and want to make sure that you stay around that 2 AC differential for your weakest AC ally to make your mark effective). Rowan is great for a whole encounter, stonecrusher is great for one attack until the baddies save.

- Switching utility powers like nature's abundance --> Eyes of the hawk and Verdant Life --> Primal leap are great depending on the campaign your DM is running. I know personally for the campaign I am in that Eyes of the hawk has come in more then handy for solving social and puzzle issues outside of combat and Primal leap makes the warden one of most mobile characters in the party (save if any of the other members can fly) which is great if you need to cross a great chasm. I think the options you have now are optimized for combat and I would be hard pressed myself not to take verdant life but at the end of it as a warden I trust my cleric and my second wind to keep me up. I already have fail safes (bear's endurance, ect.) to keep me from going down should the need arise and the out of combat applications of these 2 powers is not to be understated. You need to be able to enjoy the game outside of combat and be useful to you party at the same time...Paladins are the walking suits of metal in this game that have no use outside of combat (save social skills), you should be the one able to jump a large moat or chasm and use your perception to spot traps or a mechanism to lower the bridge.
Thanks for your comments (first time I post a charcter in the OP boards), I can definitely see were you are coming from on the advice in utility powers (and I'll probably change some of them for out of combat utilities when I use this at the table).

Also I agree with you on the Rowan Sentinel I'll change it now.
Your really should not doubt your ability to create a character based around an idea that you wanted. You have built a very strong character in general that will fare you party well, even if it is not totally optimized it doesn't matter...it is more then functional and as long as you have fun with it that is all that matters!

Enjoy your adventure!
Well I don't play my characters for damage, (never played a striker, though the Avenger interests me). I just wanted to have a Warden that could **** his enemies off by screwing with their strategy.
Well I don't play my characters for damage, (never played a striker, though the Avenger interests me). I just wanted to have a Warden that could **** his enemies off by screwing with their strategy.

This is doable but you also need to note that if you don't do a reasonable amount of damage the DM is just going to effectively decide that your damage output from your retribution for attacking with a marked target that is not you is worth it for attack a nice squishy striker, controller, or leader.

Remember one of the most important things is presenting yourself as a target to the DM. This factors in some psychological benefits. Try to make the DM want to attack you whenever you can...make fun of the DM's rolls when he misses you and more or less **** talk him when ever possible. Being a defender always constitutes more then just marking baddies, always be willing to be the first one to die for your allies...
I know, that's why I take the damage feats. As for making the DM hit me.... well I am the DM (play a DMPC at the request of my players) and they hold me up to a strict standard, if I (as the monsters) have a serious incentive to attack myself (the Warden) and I don't... I better come up with a tactical explanation why I didn't.

In fact I'm an equal opportunity killer (I'm playing a warden because of several PC deaths in a previous encounter, amongst the fallen was my Cleric)

But back on topic, I don't think I'm laking in the necessary damage output... do you?
Well in sounds like you have a different kind of group situation then most dnd groups. Our DM plays a DMPC as a leader so he is able to apply buffs, heals, and support our damage so he plays a much more passive roll. Being a defender of the group is a role that is clashing much more often with the DM's strategy and encounter builds, you have to remember as the DM to throw something that your defender is weak against every once an a while to throw him for a loop other wise combat becomes stagnant.

As for your character build I think you filled a very good roll as a DM. You are a defender that specs a lot into disabling your opponents as opposed to putting a lot of damage on them. This is better for your group situation as you are able to allow your players to be the "heroes" and do all the damage to the monsters and win the battle while still contributing to the fight.

In a strict optimization sense you could increase your damage but that would involve going half-elf and wildblood and taking more powers focused around damage for wardens (like wildblood frenzy)...this might not be what you are looking for in your campaign (more so because you are the DM of the campaign and want to play a more passive roll as not to overshadow your players).

Regardless I think your build is very solid and would more then recommend it with my experience that I have seen as a warden considering your situation. Sure you could do more damage but leave your PCs to do that and let them have fun! :D
Have been letting my friends hog the stage since day one (or four when they begged me to make a PC). In fact some of my friends actually play 2 PC's....

From what I'v seen my DND group is different from most others; I guess it had to do with the whole lifelong friends things. My friends expect me to play a PC and we usually vote on most game affecting choices. Not like the DM-King vs PC-usurpers mentality a lot of people in these forums exhibit.
Nice build, but I have one "newb" question...

What does "PEACH" mean?

I got a newb question myself:

Where do I find this "Seeking Destiny" option?

Ok, so I tried to make a warden build that specializes in action denial. This is what I have so far I'd like as much advise as I can get.... Level 3 Encounter:Earthgrasp Strike This meets two of my goals; by knocking them prone they possibly miss a move action, and when they stand up they take decent damage.

Remember the rider on Earthgrasp Strike: They're down...and on their next turn, they can't get up. This power can easily set an enemy soldier or brute back two turns.
I have not gone through the build yet, but I just wanted to mention I really appreciate you going through it level by level.  It's more difficutl and time consuming to do that, but it helps us understand the build.  I should get in that habit myself.
Nice build, but I have one "newb" question... What does "PEACH" mean?

Please Examine And Critique Honestly.
Sign In to post comments