Freezing White Lotus Fisherman - Swordmage Build

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Swordmage / Warden, paragon Coronal Guard, epic Planeshaper

This is another one of my favorite builds adding on to defender controlling via fishing. It ensures trapping enemies adjacent to the Swordmage though Frigid Blade and Form of Winter's Herald. Here's the breakdown:

Str 16(+3), Con 22(+6), Dex 16(+3), Int 28(+9), Wis 14(+2), Cha 10.

AC: 54 (51 base, +1 AC Form of Winter's Herald, +2 concealment via Shadow Band)
Fort: 48 (46, +2 concealment)
Reflex: 51 (49, +2 concealment)
Will: 46 (44, +2 concealment)

HP: 237, Healing Surges: 14

Synergies:

* Form of Winter's Herald and Sudden Roots ensure that adjacent enemies cannot shift and require triggering an opportunity attack in order to escape.

* Blade Opportunist and Lightning Reflex Gloves combine for +4 to opportunity attack rolls, ensuring a good chance Heavy Blade Opportunity allows a hit with Frigid Blade to prevent any movement for up to 6 squares! Luring Strike is an alternative to reposition the enemy with a slide of 7! to any square adjacent to you because of the Staggering Longsword +6.

* Now that the enemy feels like they have no choice to hit you, remind them that they are not allowed to escape with another Frigid Blade through the use of White Lotus Riposte Mastery and the original White Lotus Riposte feat adds more INT damage on top of that.

* Ensnaring Bolts and Thundering Vortex are both encounter powers that pull enemies in a burst towards you, while Circle of Devastation and Countering Thunderclap can push enemies away from an ally towards your terrain trap. Luring Strike also supports shifting toward an enemy and shifting back to work towards pulling them closer.

* The higher of 2 rolls with +35 initiative bonus (as in character builder) ensures you can move into place quickly and begin pulling enemies into your fisherman's trap. Level (+15), Githyanki Race (+2 racial), Improved Initiative (+4 feat bonus), Battle Harness (+5 power bonus), etc.

* Swordmage Dailies Eldritch Chains keep enemies immobilized that are adjacent to you, while Dimensional Warding and Shackled Warding both prevent enemies from teleporting away. Mirrorblade Army is the ultimate finale, granting 6 new squares from which to launch attacks to immobilize, push, pull, and slow.

* Salves of Power maintains Form of Winter's Herald

* You're also a Defender. Anytime an enemy marked by your aegis of shielding strikes an ally, you prevent 26 damage and gain 21 temporary hit points from Improved Silver Shielding of the Coronal Guard swordmage path.

* Planeshaper's level 21 Epic Destiny benefit immediately compliments this build with +2 Intelligence and the additional use of an Encounter power of your choice. Another Thundering Vortex please!

Copy and Import the information below in the Character Summary of the Character Builder to view the build:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&amp;DI Character Builder ======<br /> White Lotus Fisher, level 30<br /> Githyanki, Swordmage, Coronal Guard, Planeshaper<br /> Build: Shielding Swordmage<br /> Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding<br /> <br /> FINAL ABILITY SCORES<br /> Str 16, Con 22, Dex 16, Int 28, Wis 14, Cha 10.<br /> <br /> STARTING ABILITY SCORES<br /> Str 13, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 8.<br /> <br /> <br /> AC: 51 Fort: 46 Reflex: 49 Will: 44<br /> HP: 237 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 59<br /> <br /> TRAINED SKILLS<br /> Arcana +33, Intimidate +20, Athletics +23, Endurance +26, Perception +22<br /> <br /> UNTRAINED SKILLS<br /> Acrobatics +18, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +17, Heal +17, History +30, Insight +17, Nature +17, Religion +28, Stealth +18, Streetwise +15, Thievery +18<br /> <br /> FEATS<br /> Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)<br /> Level 2: Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade)<br /> Level 4: Blade Opportunist<br /> Level 6: Defender of the Wild<br /> Level 8: Sudden Roots<br /> Level 10: Adept Power<br /> Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity<br /> Level 12: Greater Swordmage Warding<br /> Level 14: White Lotus Riposte<br /> Level 16: White Lotus Riposte Mastery<br /> Level 18: Greater Aegis of Shielding<br /> Level 20: Danger Sense<br /> Level 21: Total Aegis<br /> Level 22: Improved Initiative<br /> Level 24: Improved Swordmage Warding<br /> Level 26: Epic Reflexes<br /> Level 28: Epic Fortitude<br /> Level 30: Epic Will<br /> <br /> POWERS<br /> Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike<br /> Swordmage at-will 1: Frigid Blade<br /> Swordmage encounter 1: Foesnare<br /> Swordmage daily 1: Sweeping Frostblade (retrained to Form of Winter's Herald at Adept Power)<br /> Swordmage utility 2: Host of Shields<br /> Swordmage encounter 3: Transposing Lunge<br /> Swordmage daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire<br /> Swordmage utility 6: Dimensional Warding<br /> Swordmage encounter 7: Thunderclap Strike<br /> Swordmage daily 9: Glamor Blade<br /> Swordmage utility 10: Impenetrable Warding<br /> Swordmage encounter 13: Ensnaring Bolts (replaces Foesnare)<br /> Swordmage daily 15: Eldritch Chains (replaces Swordmage Shielding Fire)<br /> Swordmage utility 16: Unerring Parry<br /> Swordmage encounter 17: Thundering Vortex (replaces Thunderclap Strike)<br /> Swordmage daily 19: Planar Shock (replaces Glamor Blade)<br /> Swordmage utility 22: Shackled Warding<br /> Swordmage encounter 23: Thunder Riposte (replaces Transposing Lunge)<br /> Swordmage daily 25: Waves of Languor (replaces Planar Shock)<br /> Swordmage encounter 27: Circle of Devastation (replaces Thunder Riposte)<br /> Swordmage daily 29: Mirrorblade Army (replaces Waves of Languor)<br /> <br /> ITEMS<br /> Staggering Longsword +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Lightning Reflex Gloves (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (epic tier), Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Opal Ring of Remembrance (epic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier) (5), Battle Harness Starleather Armor +6, Brooch of Vitality +6, Shadow Band (epic tier), Boots of Quickness (epic tier)<br /> ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&amp;DI Character Builder ======

Anyone have any feedback, critiques, or play any similar Swordmage builds?
I hate salves, but I love this build. Very nice usage of PP and Swordmage to get a pure lockdown build.
Quick nit-pick: I don't think Frigid Blade works with HBO the way you think it does; the target only takes the speed penalty after the next turn it starts adjacent to you.

I like the build, but I think you have an opportunity to make it better. Coronal Guard is nice, but consider what you could do with Wandering Swordmage and Aegis of Ensnarement. If you use Intelligent Blademaster instead of HBO and therefore don't have to boost Str and Dex, that gets your Wis up to 16, which means you can mark everyone within 5 squares with Total Aegis, and when they attack other people you can teleport them into your lockdown zone instead of having to go to them. If you go that route I would consider using Sword Burst instead of Luring Strike, as you're probably going to be collecting a nice group of monsters adjacent to you inside the lockdown zone.

Edit: Keep in mind also that White Lotus Master Riposte requires an immediate reaction to use, which means no Aegis usage the turn you use it.
Quick nit-pick: I don't think Frigid Blade works with HBO the way you think it does; the target only takes the speed penalty after the next turn it starts adjacent to you.

Keep in mind also that White Lotus Master Riposte requires an immediate reaction to use, which means no Aegis usage the turn you use it.

These are taken into consideration for the build. If Frigid Blade was used as the standard action, then the enemy is assumed to be adjacent on their turn so the effect lasts until their next turn. However when they attack on their turn and trigger Frigid Blade again, it will prolong the effect to begin again on their next turn and last to the turn after that. That frees up standard actions to use on other enemies.

I like the build, but I think you have an opportunity to make it better. Coronal Guard is nice, but consider what you could do with Wandering Swordmage and Aegis of Ensnarement. If you use Intelligent Blademaster instead of HBO and therefore don't have to boost Str and Dex, that gets your Wis up to 16, which means you can mark everyone within 5 squares with Total Aegis, and when they attack other people you can teleport them into your lockdown zone instead of having to go to them. If you go that route I would consider using Sword Burst instead of Luring Strike, as you're probably going to be collecting a nice group of monsters adjacent to you inside the lockdown zone.

Wandering Swordmage and Aegis of Ensnarement were the alternative combination I considered the most, and it definitely has a lot going for it.

Some of the factors I considered were that Aegis of Ensnarement is an Immediate Reaction, so that the allies are attacked and Aegis of Shielding is an Immediate Interrupt. In addition, the PP encounter attack power and circle of devastation both optionally trigger as an Immediate Interrupt, so that I can push an enemy towards the terrain trap.

Wandering Swordmage didn't offer the kind of synergism that Coronal Guard presented for what I was looking for in terms of the powers the PP path offered, which all work synergetically with the theme that I was going for, with +1 AC as a bonus. There's still the factor of working with a short burst range with the aegis...

That's where Ensnaring Bolts and Circle of Devastation, Aegis of Shielding, and sometimes the PP daily Avaunt Foe may rely on the creative use of an action point can corral the enemies early in the encounter rather than rely on teleporting them after they have made an attack with a large aegis burst. The Aegis of Shielding will likely be inconsequential after the first few turns as White Lotus Riposte becomes utilized instead.

Luring Strike + Staggering Longsword, I forgot to address this combination works together to reposition an enemy anywhere around the swordmage with an opportunity attack because it can slide an enemy 7 squares into an adjacent square.