Half-elf Dilettante Resource.

185 posts / 0 new
Last post
Time to place a few opinions of my own, I guess.

Thundering Armor(EPG Artificer - Int vs. Fort - Implement): If you are working with a Swordmage who likes to end his turn away from creatures, this is a lovely power. Why?
Ready an Action against an enemy ending its movement adjacent to an ally. Its move action ends, so you now use Thundering Armor to give that ally +1 to AC, then proceed to make the attack against the creature. If it hits, you push it 1 square away and its left with a Standard Action without much to do.
Not as useful against creatures with reach, unfortunately. So Dark Blue to Black.

Static Shock(EPG Artificer - Int vs. Reflex - Implement): One for the Shielding Swordmage Half-elf. Take the -2 to AC by having a Master's Wand of Static Shock in the off-hand, for an attack that will render your marked even more worthless on damage. Reducing 10+2xCon damage on one attack is a nice thought at Paragon. Possibly reducing an attack anywhere from 32-38 damage in late Epic is also a nice thought. Also, its either Melee or Range 5 so personal in your face use is easily done. Light Blue.

With the "Power of Skill[Domain]" feat out? If the Half-elf is Divine or has a Divine MC and worships Corellon or Ioun, then this will increase the rating on a few powers. Using them as At-Wills introduce new tactics. I would think the three melee attacks mentioned in this feat would go up at least 1 rank.
Overwhelming Strike on Strength/Wisdom Fighter Half-elfs? That Combat Challenge attack now can use Overwhelming Strike. Now if Combat Challenge's Immediate Interrupt attack is triggered by the foe attacking an ally and not you, when you hit you shift away and drag the poor creature out of reach of your ally, wasting its attack. If you get the Combat Challenge I.Interrupt attack from the monster shifting? If you hit, you shift up to a square adjacent to the one the creature is trying to escape to and choose not to slide it. Now, its still adjacent to you meaning your Combat Superiority can still stop it cold if it tries to charge or move to an ally. Footwork Lure, eat your heart out.
Valiant Strike as a basic attack? Very accurate power if you have a habit of getting surrounded. Nothing about tactics though with it off the top of my head. Might be best to leave this one as black.
Righteous Brand as a basic attack? That is just mean, especially if you delay so your turn happens before the enemies do. OAs now give +Str bonus to melee attack rolls to an ally within 5 squares. Basic Attacks given from leader classes do so as well. The rare Assaulting Swordmage Half-elf now gives the bonus if his marked doesn't attack him. Tempted to think this one might need to get a new color now. Gold taken yet?

Ardent Strike(DP Paladin - Str or Cha vs. AC - Weapon): An easy way to give a non-Defender class the ability to act like a defender sometimes. Even if they don't have Charisma, just marking the foe is helpful and it doesn't cost you anything to see that 3+ radiant damage if it doesn't attack you. Half-elf Inspire and Bravura Warlords? This is your call to act as a Defender when needed. Really tempted to say Light Blue ranking.

Virtuous Strike(DP Paladin - Cha vs. AC - Weapon): Half-elf Star Pact Warlock whose PP is Student of Caiphon. Nothing more needs to be said. Wait I take that back. Half-elf Wis/Cha Unity Avenger with Pact Initiate(Star) and PP of Student of Caiphon with a Rending Executioner's Axe. Open with Bond of Retribution with a 27.75% chance of a crit leading to Valiant Strike with a 27.75% chance of a crit, leading to another Valiant Strike loop. What fun. Black color ranking, except with Student of Caiphon which is Light Blue.

Recovery Strike(DP Cleric - Str vs. AC - Weapon): Half-elf Inspire or Bravura Warlords looking for extra non-Surge healing, look no further. You hit, an ally who hits the same target next gets Charisma hit points. Grab a Mace of Healing and a Collar of Recovery to add both their enhancement bonuses to this amount. Go a step further and grab Divine Healer and a Holy Symbol to add your Wisdom modifier(Tetriary score) and a third enhancement bonus to the amount. Then toss on Gloves of the Healer. So you now can heal at Paragon level roughly 9(3x +3 items) + 4(19 Charisma) + 2(15 Wisdom) + 1d6(Gloves), or an average of 19.5 health with enough investment.
Epic level amount? Should be around 36 I believe, off the top of my head.
Drawback? Gonna be running 16s in both Strength and Charisma to afford the 15 Wisdom by Paragon level. Willing to wait till Epic, then you can start with 18 in Charisma.
Heh, poor Clerics. Half-elf Warlords or Bards can steal their Str/Wis or Str/Cha build free healing. Cha/Wis Virtue of Prescience Bards can match the Cha/Wis Clerics. How nice.
Ranking: Light Blue for Str and Cha based characters wanting to heal their allies. So some possible Paladins and Barbarians, while Bards and Warlords will crave it drastically.

Finally, a new contenders for the Cha/Wis Half-elf Hospitaler Paladin.
Astral Seal: With the Divine Healer MC, suddenly you have a Defender dedicated to just healing his allies at a mind-boggling level while making the foe easier to hit. You will draw the attacks, but your allies will be well healed at the same time almost no matter what happens.
Visions of Blood: Sadly a Rod or a Staff will be needed to use this power, along with an Invoker MC. Bright side is the Paladin now has a Close Blast 3 Wisdom vs. Will attack thats Psychic based. So while Vicious Mockery and Eyebite win in a single target fight, Visions of Blood win when wanting to lower the accuracy of a group of close targets(Psychic Lock) while at the same time lowering their defenses.
Ready an Action against an enemy ending its movement adjacent to an ally. Its move action ends, so you now use Thundering Armor to give that ally +1 to AC, then proceed to make the attack against the creature. If it hits, you push it 1 square away and its left with a Standard Action without much to do.

It's my opinion that this is an inappropriate use of the Ready action, beause "ending a move action" isn't a valid trigger. You can react to squares of movement, but I don't see why your target is under any compunction to determine whether any given square is going to be their last, during that square's movement. Nor is your character privy to their movement speed. If you don't take your readied action after they move adjacent, then they are free to attack. I don't think immediate actions are supposed to be able to cut actions into infinitessimal portions - you generally react to a square of movement or an attack. If you choose not to react to the square of movement that brings them adjacent, then they can start using their attack action straight away without you being able to "react" to them ending the move action. If you react to their square of movement, they are still allowed to use any remaining squares of movement in their move action in order to bring them adjacent to you again (if they have any).

I see this as fairly analogous to using immediate reactions in response to a solo's multiattack melee (not close) power. If you react to their first attack and knock them back, they are still free to use any remaining attacks in the power on any targets that are still adjacent to them, if any. This is because they were under no compunction to determine who their consecutive attacks would target before you reacted to their first attack. It's a different story with close attacks, of course.
I just thought I'd nominate a new power from DP. The Invoker's ,it's a solid power if you're in a Cha based class,and if you're doing a Fighter going Pitfighter you will have the Wis to use the power. And what Fighter wouldn't love to have a Wis vs Will,Close Blast 3 At-Will for marking? :D
@psk20
You are probably right on that. The Readied Action trigger would be an enemy moves adjacent to an ally. That would still leave any left over movement for the creature to use to continue moving closer.
@psk20
You are probably right on that. The Readied Action trigger would be an enemy moves adjacent to an ally. That would still leave any left over movement for the creature to use to continue moving closer.

Why not Ready for when they make the attack? The readied action is an interrupt, so it will still spoil the attack. It's actually better than readying for the end of the movement as their standard action can be completely wasted, rather than limited to a sub-optimal choice.
Why not Ready for when they make the attack? The readied action is an interrupt, so it will still spoil the attack. It's actually better than readying for the end of the movement as their standard action can be completely wasted, rather than limited to a sub-optimal choice.

Readied actions are reactions and occur after the trigger, not before.
I'll get to updating for eberron, hopefully in a week or two.

What should I put in about the errata, especially to twin strike? Can someone outline the changes for me?
I waven't heard about any errata to twin strike. The errata is to dual strike (the fighter version) and changes things so that you must target two different opponents. For actual tempest fighters, this is acually kind of cool in some ways, what with the multimarking and everything. For Dilettante purposes, it's awful. It'd be down to black if twin strike were not on the menu. I'd say purple.
Okay, added eberon along with DP. Lets start talking about colors.

Thundering armor seems neat, but I don't know if its blue worthy... thoughts/builds?
I think Bond of censure should be purple if not worse.
Astral Seal looks nice, real nice. A bonus to the attack, a debuff, and a heal that isnt temp hp? I vote sky blue all the way.
At low levels, Hand of Radiance could be a real undead killer.
Wow mark of the infidel has a lot of range. Also, it doesn't have to be marked by you, which is nice.
Looks like ardent strike should be marked down, as its pretty uselesss without divine sanction
I like virtuous strike for a AoO build, it could be a nice way to boost your saves into the stratosphere.
- Astral heal gives out at-will surgeless healing to any other member of the party. As far as I'm aware, it's the only way currently available in the game to hand out at-will surgeless healing to other members of the party. Yes it is sky blue.

- I'm not certain why you haven't taken Dual Strike (str vs AC) all the way down to purple. Specifically, the situations where it's better than twin strike are really, really finicky edge cases right now. Specifically, you have to build your character around getting the nifty fighter bonuses for it, and then only when fighting two enemies that are both within reach and splitting your DPS. The class that would be in the best position to take advantage of it is fighter, who gets it already.

- Crushing Strike (str vs AC) is "gain con temp HP with Endurance skill" - or, for a simpler version, just "invigorating".

- I still say you're underselling Howling Strike (str vs AC) it's a chargeable attack with a scaling +1d6 damage. It's really very good for anyone who likes charging in heroic, and keeps getting better as it goes.

- I think I agree on Bond of Censure. If it was something other than wis with an int kicker, it might be useful for various melee-primary builds as a sort of retroactive sticky, but as is....

- Ardent strike: there's no need to be a paladin in order to sanction someone. It's effectively a mark until EoT that deals autodamage in radiant based on your charisma. I can think of a fair number of psuedodefender builds that might like the ability to apply a mark. I'd call it black, maybe dark blue. The fact that you have to hit to apply the mark hurts as a psuedodefender effect. The fact that it comes prepackaged with its own punishment mechanic helps though.

- thundering armor: I could definitely see taking that as a bard. I'd say black or dark blue, with no real preference either way.

- Hand of Radiance is solid. If I had a half-elf with a statline suitable for it, I'd seriously consider it. On the other hand, I don't think it's *quite* good enough to be worth taking a half-elf into wisdom-heavy territory, which means that it's primary use for reasonable well-optimized characters is going to be as a bardic minion-clearer... for bards who've taken Arcane Imp Prof in rod or staff for some reason. Still, it's quite a good power once you get past the entrance requirements. Again, black or dark blue, leaning towards the black.

- for Mark of the Infidel, compare with Vicious Mockery (cha vs will). Aside from the utility as a sniper power, I think Vicious Mockery is very nearly just better.
- Astral heal gives out at-will surgeless healing to any other member of the party. As far as I'm aware, it's the only way currently available in the game to hand out at-will surgeless healing to other members of the party.

The cleric melee power Recovery Strike from divine power also gives out surgeless healing. And the healing is based on your charisma.
- Astral heal gives out at-will surgeless healing to any other member of the party. As far as I'm aware, it's the only way currently available in the game to hand out at-will surgeless healing to other members of the party. Yes it is sky blue.

It's a strong candidate to be sure, I like to wait a while before I make anything that far up the scale though.

- I'm not certain why you haven't taken Dual Strike (str vs AC) all the way down to purple. Specifically, the situations where it's better than twin strike are really, really finicky edge cases right now. Specifically, you have to build your character around getting the nifty fighter bonuses for it, and then only when fighting two enemies that are both within reach and splitting your DPS. The class that would be in the best position to take advantage of it is fighter, who gets it already.

I thought bumping it down 2 steps was enough but you might be right, people seem to get antsy when I move things around so I want to see if theres any fallout over this.

- Crushing Strike (str vs AC) is "gain con temp HP with Endurance skill" - or, for a simpler version, just "invigorating".

Changed and noted.

- I still say you're underselling Howling Strike (str vs AC) it's a chargeable attack with a scaling +1d6 damage. It's really very good for anyone who likes charging in heroic, and keeps getting better as it goes.

I might just be, there are just so many str vrs ACs though. I'll mark it up incase someone out there is playing a charge build.
- thundering armor: I could definitely see taking that as a bard. I'd say black or dark blue, with no real preference either way.

I like its unusual mechanic, but it requires somewhat specific situations.

- Hand of Radiance is solid. If I had a half-elf with a statline suitable for it, I'd seriously consider it. On the other hand, I don't think it's *quite* good enough to be worth taking a half-elf into wisdom-heavy territory, which means that it's primary use for reasonable well-optimized characters is going to be as a bardic minion-clearer... for bards who've taken Arcane Imp Prof in rod or staff for some reason. Still, it's quite a good power once you get past the entrance requirements. Again, black or dark blue, leaning towards the black.

I'd be okay with blue, but again I was only looking at it for its unusual ability.
Perhaps thats a section I should add, showing the true versatility this racial can bring.

- for Mark of the Infidel, compare with Vicious Mockery (cha vs will). Aside from the utility as a sniper power, I think Vicious Mockery is very nearly just better.

No argument, its range is nice, but it requires what is, in my mind, fairly rare circumstances and party teamwork to be consistantly worth it. If the range was 10 I would consider marking it purple.
Dual strike-> purple
astral seal -> sky blue
Thundering Armor -> blue (i'm kinda 50/50 on this, the thing that bumps it to blue for me is that you can target yourself.)
Hand of Radiance -> left black, there are plenty of AoE's in the list.

I'm also preparing the unique abilities list, so far I have:
Snipe:Mark of the Infidel
Slow: Weight of the Earth
Heal an ally:
saving throw an ally: Sacred Flame
Aoe: Burning Spray
Chase: Bond of Pursuit
Go invisible: Eyebite

Any others I'm missing?
Dual strike-> purple
astral seal -> sky blue
Thundering Armor -> blue (i'm kinda 50/50 on this, the thing that bumps it to blue for me is that you can target yourself.)
Hand of Radiance -> left black, there are plenty of AoE's in the list.

I'm also preparing the unique abilities list, so far I have:
Snipe:Mark of the Infidel
Slow: Weight of the Earth
Heal an ally:
saving throw an ally: Sacred Flame
Aoe: Burning Spray
Chase: Bond of Pursuit
Go invisible: Eyebite

Any others I'm missing?

MBA: Eldritch Strike and whichever new paladin power it is. Also the druid ability, but that seems more of a technicality than anything else

to-hit penalty: Enfeebling Strike and Vicious Mockery

mark: there's a paladin power and a bard power, neither of which I remember off the top of my head.

grant attacks: commander's strike and the push-to-attack one for Resourceful Warlords from MP.

by now there are enough push/pull/slide powers out there that I don't know that tehy qualify anymore.
MBA: Eldritch Strike and whichever new paladin power it is. Also the druid ability, but that seems more of a technicality than anything else

to-hit penalty: Enfeebling Strike and Vicious Mockery

mark: there's a paladin power and a bard power, neither of which I remember off the top of my head.

grant attacks: commander's strike and the push-to-attack one for Resourceful Warlords from MP.

by now there are enough push/pull/slide powers out there that I don't know that tehy qualify anymore.

Virtuous Strike is the MBA one

and there is an at-will that heals. Astral Seal can be used to heal people,even without the Healer's Lore ability if you are a Chaladin the healing is a nice boon.
and there is an at-will that heals. Astral Seal can be used to heal people,even without the Healer's Lore ability if you are a Chaladin the healing is a nice boon.

That's why he's made it sky blue.

If it's a ranged attack, though, that'll either be near-useless (because no enemies are adjacent) or provoke an opportunity attack (because some enemies are adjacent).
If it's a ranged attack, though, that'll either be near-useless (because no enemies are adjacent) or provoke an opportunity attack (because some enemies are adjacent).

close burst 10 actually, an interesting angle on the ability: it can be used when both you and your ally have adjacent enemies

Boy these forums are .... great....

anyone know how to make sblock work again?

I'm wondering if commander's strike should be blue for the following reasons: it doesn't require you to have an additional attack-stat, it can be used from a greater distance with reach weapons or the blade of the eldritch knight, it has an unique effect, and it synergizes well with crit-fishers and high at-will DPR builds, effectively letting you use their DPR as your own. It's certainly no righteous brand (though the two certainly have different functions), but it seems like it has a lot of potential in many parties.

As I am half elf cleric, I decided to take power from class which power's abil. mod. are similar to cleric and use implement( Holy Symbol). The choice was Avenger. But I have a question - If I will take Radiant Vengeance will enchancement bonus of holy symbol add to power's damage and atack? 

In Char. Build. it doesn't show, but I can't believe it, because implements of that two classes are similar.

Help me to handle with problem.

Thank you.

a holy impliment is a holy implenment, the bonus works for both.  I've always felt this fact got less appriciation than it should.

Trying to find a work-around for the sblock being removed.  I must say, I hate this forum even more now that I see how ugly it is WITH cleanup.

That looks as good as I can make it... I'll be adding primal power soon.

Sign In to post comments