Avenlock - The Eternal Wrath of Caiphon

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
"The baleful eye of caiphon bathes my vengeance in purple wrath" - Roh, the Avenlock of Tempus

A full radiant critical build that takes from the starting pieces from Angel of Wrath by Pandexander, and leverages the information found in Righteous Wrath by kilpatds into an any tier viable striker. Note: Format follows that of LordDuskBlade's builds, as I find it easy to use.

Avenger/Student of Caiphon/Eternal Seeker

Avenlock, L1

Race: Deva
Class: Avenger
Censure: Retribution
Background: Society – Noble (+2 to Insight)

Ability Scores, with racial adjustments:
Str 8 (-1)
Con 11 (+0)
Dex 10 (+0)
Int 18 (+4)
Wis 18 (+4)
Cha 13 (+1)

HP: 25; Bloodied: 12; Surges: 7 (6 HP)
AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 17/11/15/15
Initiative: +0; Speed: 6

At-will Powers: Overwhelming Strike, Radiant Vengeance
Encounter Powers: Whirlwind Charge
Daily Powers: Oath of the Final Duel

Skills: Religion, Stealth, Perception, Intimidate
Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

Gear: Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor, Fullblade, Holy Symbol, Rod, 32gp

Levels 2-10

L2. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Melee Training (Wisdom), new utility power: Resonant Escape
L3. +6 HP, new encounter power: Sequestering Strike
L4. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (19), +1 Int (19), new feat: Divine Rage (Dragon 368)
L5. +6 HP, new daily power: Living Death Strike
L6. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade), new utility power: Soul Seeker
L7. +6 HP, new encounter power: Splinter the Formation
L8. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (20), +1 Int (20), new feat: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
L9. +6 HP, new daily power: Oath of Pursuit
L10. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Pact Initiate (Star), new utility power: Channel Endurance

Avenlock, L11

Multiclass: Warlock
Paragon Path: Student of Caiphon

Str 9 (-1)
Con 12 (+1)
Dex 11 (+0)
Int 21 (+5)
Wis 21 (+5)
Cha 14 (+2)

HP: 86; Bloodied: 43; Surges: 8 (21 HP)
AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 13/17/21/21
Initiative: +5; Speed:[/b] 6

Encounter Powers: Whirlwind Charge (1), Resonant Escape (2), Sequestering Strike (3), Splinter the Formation (7), Channel Endurance (10)
Daily Powers: Oath of the Final Duel (1), Living Death Strike (5), Soul Seeker (6), Oath of Pursuit (9)

Skills: Religion, Stealth, Perception, Intimidate, Insight (+2)
Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade), Melee Training (Wisdom), Divine Rage (Dragon 368), Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade), Armor Proficiency (Leather), Pact Initiate (Star), Reserve Maneuver (Blade Step A7 for Trust in the Guide Start P11)

Gear:
Cloak of Resistance +3 ["Level 12" Item Pick],
Sunblade Fullblade +2 ["Level 11" Item Pick],
Antipathy Gloves (heroic) ["Level 10" Item Pick],
Repulsion Leather Armor +2,
Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic),
Casque of Tactics (heroic),
Feyleaf Vambraces (heroic),
Symbol of Divinity +1,
Implement Rod

Changes from L10:
+7 HP, +1 to all Stats, new encounter power: Trust in the Guide Star, new feat: Reserve Maneuver (Blade Step A7 for Trust in the Guide Star P11), new paragon path: Student of Caiphon, new skill: Insight

Levels 12-20

L12. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Battle Intuition (Dragon 374), new utility power: Steps on the Purple Stair
L13. +6 HP, new encounter power: Cloud of Souls (replaces Splinter the Formation), retrain Reserve Maneuver (Splinter the Formation A7 for Trust in the Guide Star P11)
L14. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (22), +1 Int (22), new feat: Righteous Rage of Tempus
L15. +6 HP, new daily power: Bond of the Sacred Duel (replaces Oath of the Final Duel)
L16. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Improved Armor of Faith, new utility power: Bulwark of Defiance
L17. +6 HP, new encounter power: Warding Blade (replaces Whirlwind Charge)
L18. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (23), +1 Int (23), new feat: Protected Isolation
L19. +6 HP, new daily power: Oath of the Invevitable Blade (replaces Oath of Pursuit)
L20. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Acolyte Power (Shielding Shades W10 for Channel Endurance A10), new daily power: Oath of the Inevitable Blade (replaces Oath of Pursuit)

Avenlock, L21

Epic Destiny: Eternal Seeker

Str 10 (+0)
Con 13 (+1)
Dex 12 (+1)
Int 24 (+7)
Wis 24 (+7)
Cha 15 (+2)

HP: 147; Bloodied: 73; Surges: 8 (36 HP)
AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 30/22/28/28
Initiative: +17; Speed:[/b] 6

Encounter Powers: Resonant Escape (2), Sequestering Strike (3), Splinter the Formation (Reserve Maneuver), Steps on the Purple Stair (12), Cloud of Souls (13), Bulwark of Defiance (16), Warding Blade (17), Righteous Rage of Tempus (Feat), Divine Rage (Feat)
Daily Powers: Living Death Strike (5), Soul Seeker (6), Shielding Shades(10), Bond of the Sacred Duel (15), Oath of the Invevitable Blade (19), Caiphon's Hungry Mercy (20)

Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade), Melee Training (Wisdom), Divine Rage (Dragon 368), Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade), Armor Proficiency (Leather), Pact Initiate (Star), Reserve Maneuver (Blade Step A7 for Trust in the Guide Start P11), Battle Intuition (Dragon 374), Righteous Rage of Tempus, Improved Armor of Faith, Protected Isolation, Acolyte Power, Student of the Athanaeum

Gear:
Radiant Fullblade +4 ["Level 22" Item Pick],
Brooch of Shielding +4 ["Level 20" Item Pick],
Plainstrider Boots (paragon) ["Level 19" Item Pick],
Repulsion Drowmesh +3,
Solitaire (Aquamarine),
Casque of Tactics (heroic),
Counterstrike Guards (paragon),
Antipathy Gloves (heroic),
Eladrin Ring of Passage,
Belt of Vim (heroic),
Symbol of Victory +2,
Rod of the Feywild +2

Changes from L20:
+7 HP, +1 to all Stats, new feat: Student of the Athanaeum (Dragon 366), new epic destiny: Eternal Seeker, new epic destiny feature: seeker of the many paths

Levels 22-29

L22. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Sacrifice to Caiphon, new utility power: Twin Step, retrain Acolyte Power (Entropic Ward Warlock 22, replace Twin Step Avenger 22)
L23. +6 HP, new encounter power: Phase Duel (replaces Sequestering Strike)
L24. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (25), +1 Int (25), new feat: Robust Defenses, new epic destiny feature: eternal action
L25. +6 HP, new daily power: Executioner's Justice (replaces Bond of the Sacred Duel)
L26. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Starfire Womb, new epic destiny feature: seeker's lore (Own the Battlefield Warlord 22)
L27. +6 HP, new encounter power: Scatter to the Astral Winds (replaces Cloud of Souls)
L28. +6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, +1 Wis (26), +1 Int (26), new feat: Epic Resurgence
L29. +6 HP, new daily power: Final Oath (replaces Living Death Strike)

Avenlock, L30

Epic Destiny: Eternal Seeker

Str 10 (+0)
Con 13 (+1)
Dex 12 (+1)
Int 26 (+8)
Wis 26 (+8)
Cha 15 (+2)

HP: 201; Bloodied: 100; Surges: 8 (50 HP)
AC/Fort/Ref/Will: 49/38/42/42
Initiative: +23; Speed:[/b] 6

Encounter Powers: Resonant Escape (2), Splinter the Formation (Reserve Maneuver), Steps on the Purple Stair (12), Bulwark of Defiance (16), Warding Blade (17), Righteous Rage of Tempus (Feat), Divine Rage (Feat), Entropic Ward (22), Phase Duel (23), Scatter to the Astral Winds (27)
Daily Powers: Soul Seeker (6), Oath of the Invevitable Blade (19), Caiphon's Hungry Mercy (20), Own the Battlefield (22), Executioner's Justice (25), Final Oath (29)

Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade), Melee Training (Wisdom), Divine Rage (Dragon 368), Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade), Armor Proficiency (Leather), Pact Initiate (Star), Reserve Maneuver (Blade Step A7 for Trust in the Guide Start P11), Battle Intuition (Dragon 374), Righteous Rage of Tempus, Improved Armor of Faith, Protected Isolation, Acolyte Power, Student of the Athanaeum, Sacrifice to Caiphon, Robust Defenses, Starfire Womb, Epic Resurgence, Mighty Enmity

Gear:
Radiant Fullblade +6 ["Level 31" Item Pick],
Brooch of Shielding +6 ["Level 30" Item Pick],
Boots of Teleportation (epic) ["Level 29" Item Pick],
Repulsion Starleather Armor +6,
Solitaire (Violet),
Ioun Stone of Regeneration (epic),
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon),
Antipathy Gloves (heroic),
War Ring (paragon tier) x2,
Baldric of Tactical Positioning (paragon),
Symbol of Victory +4,
Rod of the Feywild +2

Changes from L29:
+6 HP, +1 to all level-dependent abilities, new feat: Mighty Enmity, epic feature: Seeking Destiny (Manifest the Divine)

Build Goal and Tactics

This build has a simple goal: Attempt to leverage the Radiant Critical property of the paragon path with the Oath reroll ability of the Avenger. Obviously, the Avenger's powers are a little low on the [W] side, but this build has both survivability and a nearly 100% chance to have your Oath in effect.

The primary tactic of the Avenlock is to rush in Martyr style, build up large static damage bonuses, and take down their oath target as quickly as possible. The gear selection and build selections have all focused around being able to GET to your oath target / being able to withstand a beating WHILE getting to your target / being able to take down your target (eventually... come on divine power!) and ultimately being able to do this with little to no group support nor being a drain on party resources.

This is my first published build, so please feel free to help me expand and improve upon this concept.
I'm no CO expert, but this build looks like it would be fun to try. I'll have to use it when we start our next adventure.
I've been working on a very similar character and found this quite useful, thanks! It looks like your AC numbers are wrong, though.

At level 11, you're looking at 10 + 5 (level) + 5 (int) + 3 (armor of faith) + 4 (+2 repulsion leather) = 27, rather than 13.

At level 21 you should have 10 + 10 (level) + 7 (int) + 3 (armor of faith) + 3 (improved armor of faith) + 5 (+3 repulsion drowmesh) = 38

Level 30 looks right. Very solid defensive build with respectable striker damage and (gasp) actual avenger powers.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
I'm playing a build very similar to this in a pbp game, and it is amazingly fun. I went Deva Avenger (warlock mc)/Student of Caiphon/Punisher of the Gods though....critting and constantly getting action points for it = fun times.
Very nice and fun looking build. I'm a bit jealous that I didn't think of it myself as I'd probably have a different character now (Human Starlock). Too bad I don't think this would work with a Warlock who MCed Avenger...especially since I have Wisdom as my dump stat.
Awesome build! :P