Heavy Artillery(Hammer or Bow): Paladin, Bard MC Ranged Threat

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does this sound legal?

Half-Elf LVL 11
Paladin, Bard MC, Hospitaler

Feats
Bardic Dilettante, Healing Hands, Adept Power(Arrow of Ill Omen from AP), Weapon Prof (Greatbow), Wep Exp Bow, Combat Virtuoso, Versatile Master (Twin Strike)?

Does that translate into Charisma to attack with Twin Strike for d12 damage? +15 AT bonus with +2 greatbow.

Edit: Build concepts after third post.
ForTUNE __________________________________________________ Browse my collection of characters designed around various singularly focused party concepts:

Full Party Catalog Blog

Yes, and you can use Twin Strike in melee with that build.
Exactly. Short to mid range operability with long range versatility. Full armor and some +2 to AC OA support through the gear or a feat and it doesn't look so bad to pull the trigger in crowd. Good hit points and decent healing so I can suck up a lot of hits. Divine challenge with the psychic locked powers I can pull from the new bard powers in AP.

Time to speak with my DM about a rebuild.
ForTUNE __________________________________________________ Browse my collection of characters designed around various singularly focused party concepts:

Full Party Catalog Blog

Hammer of Justice V.1: Con Damage Tank

This is the closer range, more melee focused Heavy Artillery build. The concept was to build a ranged hammer thrower that can step back from the enemy after challenged and twin strike him for 2XCon damage or better and Divine Challenge Damage if the enemy attacks someone else. Because his range is shorter, I think Plate is a fine choice to armor up with. The dynamic weapon allows the build to change the throwing hammer into a Warhammer and move in to use the Paladin melee powers with only a minor. While a little MAD, all the attacks are done with my highest stat so no problems hitting. But if I don't, Hammer Rhythm'll get them.

===== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Saereth Demise, level 11
Half-Elf, Paladin, Hospitaler
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 17, Dex 12, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 21.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 16.

AC: 28 Fort: 20 Reflex: 20 Will: 22
HP: 92 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Perception, Insight, Diplomacy, Streetwise.

FEATS
1: Bardic Dilettante
2: Combat Virtuoso
4:Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
6: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
8: Healing Hands (retrain to Hammer Rhythm at 11th)
10: Novice Power
11: Versatile Master (Twin Strike)

POWERS
1, At-Will: Enfeebling Strike
1, At-Will: Bolstering Strike
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, Encounter: Fearsome Smite (replace with Novice power Prophesied Strike at 10th level)
1, Daily: Radiant Delirium
2, Utility: Sacred Circle
3, Encounter: Invigorating Smite
5, Daily: Sign of Vulnerability
6, Utility: Wrath of the Gods
7, Encounter: Divine Reverence
9, Daily: Crown of Glory
10, Utility: Cleansing Spirit

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Cloak of Distortion +1, Throwing hammer, Star of Corellon +2, Dynamic Throwing hammer +3 (can change to warhammer for melee attacks), Versatile Layered Plate Armor +2 (for extra mobility when needed)

Full Party Catalog Blog

Greatbow of Justice V.1: Rocket Launcher

The concept here is to focus on using the Greatbow for damage output and attacking with the greatbow in melee. Since I don't need to pump Con for Hammer Rhythm, I can put more points in Wis to buff the many of the Paladin powers and Paragon path powers. With the +2 feat to OAs and +2 item bonus to AC when the greatbow is used in melee means I'm much harder to hit with OAs. I also use scale instead of plate so I can improve my mobility around the table. This build is a lot more mobile because of the greatbow range.

This is the build I'm going to use during our next game session.

===== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Saereth Demise, level 11
Half-Elf, Paladin
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 21.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16.

AC: 26 Fort: 20 Reflex: 20 Will: 23
HP: 90 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Perception, Insight, Diplomacy, Streetwise.

FEATS
1: Bardic Dilettante
2: Combat Virtuoso
4: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
6: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) (retrain to Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow) at Level 11)
8: Healing Hands (retrained to Armor Specialization (Scale) at Level 12)
10: Novice Power
11: Versatile Master

POWERS
1, At-Will: Enfeebling Strike
1, At-Will: Bolstering Strike
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, Encounter: Fearsome Smite (replaced with Novice Power Prophesied Strike at 10th level)
1, Daily: Radiant Delirium
2, Utility: Sacred Circle
3, Encounter: Invigorating Smite
5, Daily: Sign of Vulnerability
6, Utility: Wrath of the Gods
7, Encounter: Divine Reverence
9, Daily: Crown of Glory
10, Utility: Cleansing Spirit

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Star of Corellon +2, Drakescale Armor of Cleansing +2, Point Blank Greatbow +2, Cloak of Distortion +2

Full Party Catalog Blog

You're starting stats are really poorly laid out considering what you want at level 11.
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

You could have dropped starting wisdom to get a higher wisdom at level 11 and pretty stat distribution.
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 18
Will give you a
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 9, Wis 18, Cha 21.

I don't understand why scale specialization is a bonus, given it will drop your AC over what you would have with plate specialization.
You're starting stats are really poorly laid out considering what you want at level 11.
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

You could have dropped starting wisdom to get a higher wisdom at level 11 and pretty stat distribution.
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 18
Will give you a
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 9, Wis 18, Cha 21.

I need Dex of 15 for Scale Specialization at 11th. The stat spread helps my NADs. Also, I'm not optimizing for 11th, the stats are set to obtain a final stat set at 30th of:
Str 12, Con 18, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 26

I don't understand why scale specialization is a bonus, given it will drop your AC over what you would have with plate specialization.

Because I remove the speed penalty and get Plate-esque AC.

Full Party Catalog Blog