Guardian Sorcerer (Healing Defender/Striker) - Half-Elf Paladin/Sorcerer

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eureka! I've been working extra hard trying to develop a character that fits a unique role:

1. Defendery so he can stand on the front line.
2. Source of tremendous healing (building toward a Hospitaler)
3. Able to dish out some arcane hurt through blasts and bursts and daggers.

Since I wanted a sufficient healer, I had to go standard Chaladin/Cleric build in the Heroic levels. However, I need to make sure to maintain Expertise in the light blade (sorry, no Bastard Sword) in order to be able to shift powers to Sorcerer at 11th.

At 11th level, I pick Hospitaler, which will pretty much cover my healing powers and I can retrain Initiate of the Faith to Sorcerer at 11th. From there on out, it's all Paladin/Sorcerer.

I landed on the Paladin with a focus in the Wis and CHA, ignoring STR. Here is the first 10 levels:

GaurdianSorc-A, level 10
Half-Elf, Paladin
Build: Protecting Paladin
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 20.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16.

AC: 27 Fort: 19 Reflex: 20 Will: 22
HP: 83 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Heal, Diplomacy, Perception.

FEATS
1: Initiate of the Faith
2: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
4: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
6: Healing Hands
8: Acolyte Power
10: Adept Power

POWERS
1, At-Will: Bolstering Strike
1, At-Will: Enfeebling Strike
1, Encounter: Acid Orb
1, Encounter: Fearsome Smite
1, Daily: On Pain of Death
2, Utility: Astral Speech (retrained to Cure Light Wounds at Acolyte Power)
3, Encounter: Invigorating Smite
5, Daily: Sign of Vulnerability (retrained to Consecrated Ground at Adept Power)
6, Utility: Wrath of the Gods
7, Encounter: Benign Transposition
9, Daily: Crown of Glory
10, Utility: Cleansing Spirit (retrained to Bastion of Health at Acolyte Power)

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Plate Armor of Cleansing +2, Cloak of Distortion +1, Cunning Short sword +2, Symbol of Divine Reach +2

I really like this build because I get full armor and divine challenge with some saucy arcane powers especially with the half-elf dillettante selection of Clost Blast Burning Hands. Some build highlights:

Full Plate Armor and Heavy Shield
Implement Spells (except Acid Orb) +12 to AT against NADs level 9 (+5 Cha mod, +4 1/2 level, +1 implement expertise, +2 Holy Symbol).
Short Sword is +15 to AT against AC (+5 Cha mod, +4 1/2 level, +3 proficiency bonus, +1 Weap Expertise, +2 weapon item bonus).
CHA modifier to most damages.
CHA mods to healing.
Lots of healing from high WIS.
4 and growing lay on hands per day.

Depending on whether you want bigger one-creature damage or minion clearing powers, you can elect either Acid-Orb or Burning Spray. I went with Burning Spray for minion control. Acid-Orb has a range of 20, does solid 1d10 damage, is a basic ranged attack, and can be used in melee with Sorcerer Blade Channeling. If you want to start with a Dillettante power but don't like it at higher levels, it can be retrained.

The character play is focused on getting right in the face of bad guys, applying divine challenge, and then supporting the team with healing, bolstering temp hitpoints, and laying out some arcane damage with the occasional blast/burst/single enemy damage through the dagger.
ForTUNE __________________________________________________ Browse my collection of characters designed around various singularly focused party concepts:

Full Party Catalog Blog

LEVEL 20 Snapshot:

GaurdianSorc-A, level 20
Half-Elf, Paladin, Hospitaler
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 9, Wis 21, Cha 23.

Starting Ability Scores

AC: 34 Fort: 28 Reflex: 29 Will: 32
HP: 144 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Heal, Diplomacy, Perception, Arcana.

FEATS
1: Initiate of the Faith (retrained to Arcane Prodigy at Level 11)
8: Acolyte Power (retrained to Implement Expertise (Light Blade) at Level 12)
11: Versatile Master
12: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
14: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)Novice Power
16: Novice Power
18: Paragon Defenses (flexible feat that can be used to shore up other offensive or defensive powers)
20: War Wizardry

POWERS
1, At-Will: Acid Orb
2, Utility: Astral Speech
5, Daily: Sign of Vulnerability (retrained to Consecrated Ground at 10th)
7, Encounter: Benign Transposition (retrained to Rimestorm at 14th)
9, Daily: Crown of Glory (retrained to Dazzling Ray (Adept Power) at 11th)
10, Utility: Cleansing Spirit
13, Encounter: Entangling Smite (replaces Invigorating Smite)
15, Daily: True Nemesis (replaces On Pain of Death)
16, Utility: Death Ward
17, Encounter: Fortifying Smite (retrained to Thunder Summons at Novice Power) (replaces Entangling Smite)
19, Daily: Corona of Blinding Radiance (replaces True Nemesis)

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Elemental Twist Dagger Dagger +4 (lvl20), Cloak of Distortion +4 (lvl18), Symbol of Divine Reach +4(lvl19), Plate Armor of Cleansing +4 (purchased)

+25 to Hit with Weapon
+22 to Hit with Implement
Sick Healing powers with Hospitaler
Divine Challenge/Acid Orb combo is fun
ForTUNE __________________________________________________ Browse my collection of characters designed around various singularly focused party concepts:

Full Party Catalog Blog

Level 30:

Saereth Demise, level 30
Half-Elf, Paladin, Hospitaler, Demigod
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Charisma
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Wisdom
Background: Akanûl

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 26, Cha 28.

Starting Ability Scores

AC: 45 Fort: 35 Reflex: 36 Will: 41
HP: 205 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Insight, Heal, Diplomacy, Arcana.

FEATS
1: Initiate of the Faith (retrained to Arcane Prodigy at Level 11)
8: Novice Power
11: Versatile Master
12: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
14: Implement Expertise (Light Blade)
16: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
18: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 21)
20: War Wizardry
21: Epic Resurgence
22: Font of Radiance
24: Sorcerous Flux
26: Quick Draw
28: Durable
30: Timely Respite

POWERS
1, At-Will: Acid Orb
2, Utility: Astral Speech
5, Daily: Sign of Vulnerability
7, Encounter: Benign Transposition
9, Daily: Crown of Glory
10, Utility: Cleansing Spirit
13, Encounter: Renewing Smite (replaces Fearsome Smite)
15, Daily: True Nemesis (replaces On Pain of Death)
16, Utility: Angelic Intercession
17, Encounter: Hand of the Gods (replaces Invigorating Smite)
19, Daily: Corona of Blinding Radiance (replaces Sign of Vulnerability)
22, Utility: Death Ward
23, Encounter: Here Waits Thy Doom (replaces Renewing Smite)
25, Daily: To the Nine Hells with You (replaces Crown of Glory)
27, Encounter: Deific Vengeance (retrained to Thunder Pulse at Novice Power) (replaces Benign Transposition)
29, Daily: Even Hand of Justice (replaces To the Nine Hells with You)

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Elemental Twist Dagger Dagger +6, Symbol of Divine Reach +6, Tarrasque Plate Armor of Cleansing +6, Cloak of Distortion +5

Full Party Catalog Blog

You might need to edit the thread title.
Hey mate,

Nice build! Just a couple points:

1) Have you considered using a star of Corellon? That way you don't have to stick with a light blade. You'd lose sorcerous blade channeling, but I'm not sure that's such a huge loss. You also save yourself a feat in IE(LB).

2) For the chaladin/hospitaler build, I really like to take eyebite as the dilettante and grab psychic lock, as it completely hoses your mark.

Cheers!
You might need to edit the thread title.

Why?

Full Party Catalog Blog

Hey mate,

Nice build! Just a couple points:

1) Have you considered using a star of Corellon? That way you don't have to stick with a light blade. You'd lose sorcerous blade channeling, but I'm not sure that's such a huge loss. You also save yourself a feat in IE(LB).

2) For the chaladin/hospitaler build, I really like to take eyebite as the dilettante and grab psychic lock, as it completely hoses your mark.

Cheers!

Thanks. You and I are having a decent discussion about this on the Defender boards under "Best Dillettant Power for a Chaladin?". Here is the summed response to your points:

I like eyebite and agree that there certainly are advantages to going that route. I still think Acid Orb has benefits; namely the fact that Acid Orb is a Range 20 power capable of hitting hard to reach enemies and the damage output is comparable to a Bastard sword. That is not the strongest option for a melee build or a penalty inflicting build but an optimized power for versatility between melee and range.

RE Sorcerous Blade Channeling: I may not get the Sorcerer class feature damage bonus, but I can take advantage of the singular feat light blade Weapon focus damage for any attacks made through the dagger, sorcerer or other.

Full Party Catalog Blog

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but how are your starting stats so low (or did you purposely not include the Racial bonuses to Constitution and Charisma). The point-buy system allows for a 16 16 12 12 10 8 option easily, so shouldn't your starting stats be 10 14 12 8 16 18 ?
You are correct. The starting stats don't include racial benefits. Level 1 stats are

10 14 12 8 16 18

Full Party Catalog Blog

Why?

Glaring typo. ;)
OK, I am confused. What is the point of the sorc MC?

You dont take the STR-to-damage paragon MC feat, nor do you even PMC? So you dont get much of the versatile master goodness of half elf.

You give up a 9th level daily for BLINDIGN RAY?? It does 1d10 and blinds for 1 turn. Woopie. Go with Ice Javelins instead.

So you only have a small handful of sorc powers, but then you invest a number of feats into sorc-goodness.

I'd say back off the Sorc stuff some. You might consider the Acid Orb, then boost it up with Eagle Eye goggles for a big attack bonus.

But then, ditch all the other sorcerous feats, as they just don't buy much.

You MIGHT take a higher level sorc daily (though they are nothing really amazing), and there are some solid encounter powers like Flame Spiral.
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
Glaring typo. ;)

Fixed.

OK, I am confused. What is the point of the sorc MC?

The plan was to build a fully armored healing capable sorcerer without having to suck feats to reach Plate and a Heavy shield. Therefore went with the Paladin because of obvious synergies with armor, Charisma, and the Hospitaler PP. At Hospitaler, I ultimately decided to go with Acid Orb instead of burning spray so I can do 1d10 damage up close with Sorcerous Blade Channeling. Ultimately, I went Sorcerer MC to be able to use a dagger as an implement and in melee to cast sorcerer powers at my foes.

You dont take the STR-to-damage paragon MC feat, nor do you even PMC? So you dont get much of the versatile master goodness of half elf.

I don't PMC because I want the Hospitaler class for the bump on healing and divine goodness. Hence the Guardian side of me always making sure my team is healthy.

You give up a 9th level daily for BLINDIGN RAY?? It does 1d10 and blinds for 1 turn. Woopie. Go with Ice Javelins instead.

Actually, it's Dazzling Ray so it does 6d6 radiant versus will. I haven't updated this build since Arcane Power so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something better at this point.

So you only have a small handful of sorc powers, but then you invest a number of feats into sorc-goodness.

The most important sorc power of this build is Acid Orb. It provides the versatility to do 1d10 damage up close or at a solid range.

I'll do a rework next week that looks at the rest of Arcane Power to see if there is anything better. I'm really looking forward to Divine Power to allow for some nice changes to this build as well.

Full Party Catalog Blog

You might consider updating this with some Arcane Power feats.
Specifically, You can get Arcane Implement Proficiency(Heavy blade) from Swordmage. No more daggers. :D
Also why not Raven's Queen Blessing? It Forgotten Realms legal and makes you half a cleric in the heroic tier for one feat. There's generally a minion or two around to help use it.
Sign In to post comments