Eladrin Feycharger

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

Eladrin Feycharger

Fighter/Rogue/Kensei/Eternal Defender
IMAGE(http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/02713_G.jpg)

Ever since I saw the feat Fey Charge, I fell in love with it. The concept of teleporting around in combat is cool in itself, but you rarely get the ability to consistently do it in combat. Fey Charge basically allows you to use your Fey Step ability to replace 5 squares of your charge with teleportation. On the surface this seems like a mere conveniance to avoid attacks of opportunity against you, or to avoid difficult terrain. However when optimized, this feat allows you to make a flavorful, viable, versatile, and ultimately fun teleportation themed character. If the idea of teleporting around yourself, allies, and even enemies consistently around seems like fun to you, read on!

LEVEL 1 SNAPSHOT:
Show

Eladrin, Fighter
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Background: Luskan

ABILITY SCORES (Including Racial Modifiers)
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.

Starting Ability Scores (Not Including Racial Modifiers)
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Heal, Athletics, Stealth (Luskan Background).

FEATS
1: Weapon Proficiency (Double sword)

POWERS
1, At-Will: Dual Strike
1, At-Will: Brash Strike
1, Encounter: Passing Attack
1, Daily: Villain's Menace

ITEMS
Chainmail, Double sword, Adventurer's Kit, 5 gp

HEROIC TIER (Levels 1-10):
Show

Level 1- Dual Strike, Brash Strike, Passing Attack, Villains Menace, Weapon Proficiency (Double Sword)
Took damaging abilities here to properly fit the Striker role we will be taking in our career. Double Sword will be our weapon of choice for this build, giving us access to many conveniant powers, and feats.

Level 2- Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade), Pass Forward
Weapon Expertise is pretty essential for hitting (which we will want to do lots of), Pass Forward will be redundant later on but it is pretty much the best choice at the moment.

Level 3- Rain of Blows
Fortunately since we meet all of the requirements for this power, we will most certainly be using it. It is ridiculously powerful, and you will be using it your whole career for situations where it is difficult for you to charge.

Level 4- Nimble Blade
One of the reasons we are using a Double Sword. The combat advantage condition may not come up often now, but it will be guaranteed later. Add +1 to Str, and +1 to Dex here.

Level 5- Rain of Steel
Automatic Damage

Level 6- Improved Initiative (Retrained Later), Settling the Score
Settling the Score is one of the tools we can use to keep hitting our target. The condition is relatively easy to trigger as a Fighter.

Level 7- Trip Up
Anything that triggers off of something for a charge build is something we will want to be taking advantage of. This basically makes one of our charges a little better

Level 8- Surprising Charge
Here is where charging starts to become a little more viable. At this point, it is more profitable for you to make charge attacks then Dual Strikes most likely (depending on your equipment). You will need to add +1 to Str, and +1 to Dex to qualify for Surprising Charge here.

Level 9- Jackal Strike
Same reasoning as trip up, we want triggered abilities because most of our attacks will be charges in ideal situations.

Level 10- Sneak of Shadows, Defensive Resurgence
Here is where we take Multiclass Rogue. This is important for several feats we will be getting in the next tier. Sneak Attack feature isn't bad either, and now you can practice Thievery to a decent degree.

SUMMARY-
In Heroic Tier, you are not yet fully optimized for charging, so you will perform as an average Tempest Fighter. You will certainly be more then useful, but it gets much better at the start of Paragon Tier!

LEVEL 11 SNAPSHOT:
Show

Eladrin, Fighter, Kensei
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Double sword

ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 21 Will: 19
HP: 87 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Heal, Athletics, Stealth, Thievery.

FEATS
2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
4: Nimble Blade
6: Improved Initiative (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
8: Surprising Charge
10: Sneak of Shadows
11: Fey Charge

POWERS
2, Utility: Pass Forward
3, Encounter: Rain of Blows
5, Daily: Rain of Steel
6, Utility: Settling the Score
7, Encounter: Trip Up
9, Daily: Jackal Strike
10, Utility: Defensive Resurgence

ITEMS
Eladrin Braidmail Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +2, Vanguard Double Sword +2

PARAGON TIER (Levels 11-20):
Show

Level 11- Kensei Paragon Patch + Features, Fey Charge (!), Retrain Improved Initiative to Fey Gambit.
Here is where it starts to get fun. You will now be able to use your Fey Step to change 5 squares of your charge into teleportation, as well as get Combat Advantage automatically when you Fey Step next to an enemy (the guy you are charging). With Nimble Blade and this feat, you effectively just increased your chance to hit by 4 this level (1 from Kensei, 2 from Combat Advantage, 1 from Nimble Blade). If you hit, you can retain your Fey Charge, and repeat this!

Level 12- Fey Step Trailblazer, Retrain Nimble Blade to Roundabout Charge
Here is where we start to abuse Fey Charge. Now, when you use your Fey Step (when you charge), you can take an ally with you! Also now with Roundabout Charge, you will be able to be adjacent to enemies when you use Fey Charge (Just teleport behind them to satisfy the minimum of 2 squares requirement!) and you won't even provoke an attack of opportunity because you are teleporting!

Level 13- Assured Strike

Level 14- Nimble Blade
We are keeping it for good this time . Add 1 to Strength and to Dex.

Level 15- Dragon's Fangs

Level 16- Heavy Blade Opportunity, Iron Warrior
Why not use Dual Strike on opportunity attacks :P?

Level 17- Wild Strike
Our first of very few powers we will be able to use while charging.

Level 18- Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Extra Damage!

Level 19- Devastation's Wake

Level 20- Agile Tempest
We retrain this at 21 for Heavy Blade Mastery

SUMMARY-
From the very start of Paragon Tier is where this character build begins to shine. You will now be able to charge with teleportation (and all of it's good effects) almost throughout the entire encounter (Unless you get very unlucky on dice rolls). In the case of unluckiness, you always have the Kensei Paragon re-roll to help maintain your Fey Step ability! By the end of Paragon Tier, you should be able to easily afford all of your teleportation modifying gear.

LEVEL 30 SNAPSHOT:
Show

Eladrin, Fighter, Kensei, Eternal Defender
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Double sword

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 44 Fort: 47 Reflex: 40 Will: 42
HP: 203 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Heal, Athletics, Stealth, Thievery.

FEATS
2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
4: Nimble Blade (retrained to Roundabout Charge at Level 12)
6: Improved Initiative (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
12: Fey Step Trailblazer
14: Heavy Blade Opportunity
16: Nimble Blade
18: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
20: Agile Tempest (retrained to Heavy Blade Mastery at Level 21)
21: Feywild Warrior
22: Robust Defenses
24: Feywild Protection
26: Epic Will
28: Agile Tempest
30: Sun Elf Grace

POWERS
7, Encounter: Trip Up
9, Daily: Jackal Strike
10, Utility: Defensive Resurgence
13, Encounter: Assured Strike (replaces Passing Attack)
15, Daily: Dragon's Fangs (replaces Villain's Menace)
16, Utility: Iron Warrior
17, Encounter: Wild Strike (replaces Assured Strike)
19, Daily: Devastation's Wake (replaces Rain of Steel)
22, Utility: Inspired Resurgence
23, Encounter: Maneuvering Assault (replaces Trip Up)
25, Daily: Ballista Charge (replaces Devastation's Wake)
27, Encounter: Blood Rush (replaces Maneuvering Assault)
29, Daily: Force the Battle (replaces Dragon's Fangs)

ITEMS
Large Thundergod Double sword +6, Cloak of Distortion +6, Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier) (2), Horned Helm (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (epic tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Eladrin Pitmail Armor +6

To Hit: +38 (+42 On Fey Charge)

EPIC TIER (Levels 21-30):
Show

Level 21- Demigod Epic Destiny (Str and Dex), Feywild Warrior, Retrain Agile Tempest for Heavy Blade Mastery)
Get a little boost of hit at this level, and a bit more utility. Feywild Warrior is really, really neat if you got all of your teleportation themed items. When you use a daily, you can now teleport yourself and the target 14 squares away!

Level 22- Robust Defenses, Inspired Resurgence
A boost to our relatively low defenses is a good idea.

Level 23- Manuevering Assault

Level 24- Feywild Protection
A boost to all of our defenses whenever we Fey Charge. Ok!

Level 25- Ballista Charge
Another power we can use while charging, and this one is actually pretty good!

Level 26- Epic Will
A boost to our lowest defense.

Level 27- Blood Rush
Another power we can use while charging!

Level 28- Agile Tempest
Some extra damage

Level 29- Force the Battle
Absolutely ridiculous.

Level 30- Sun Elf Grace
A little more defenses to finish everything off.

SUMMARY-
See below for detailed concepts/strategies and potential changes to the build you may find useful!

STRATEGY-
Basically once you hit Paragon tier you start to get to having fun with Fey Charge. Upon activation of your Fey Charge, you will gain the following benefits:

-Replace 5 squares of your charge as teleportation, and retain the use of Fey Charge if you hit with the charge
-Gain combat advantage against an enemy you Fey Charge adjacent to
-Teleport an ally with you if he is adjacent when you use Fey Charge
-Gain +3 to all defenses until the end of next turn

Basically you can charge into combat (very likely with Surprise since you are moderately stealthy ), teleporting an ally with you, and getting the jump on a guy. You can then procede to blow an action point, to use a daily and teleport yourself and your victim away (5 squares + whatever teleportation modifiers you have). Unfortunately your teleportation modifiers will not effect how many squares you can Fey Charge, but that doens't really matter much. In situations where you are already engaged in melee with an opponent, you can still charge them!

Check out my amazing diagram!
e= Enemy
u= You
o= Potential square you can charge to

ooo
xex
xux

You can do this due to the magic of Roundabout Charge and Fey Charge without even provoking an attack of opportunity! Just teleport right through the poor guy, and pop out behind him to attack! The best part is, as long as you don't miss on your Fey Charge attack, you will retain the use of your Fey Step ability, and will be able to repeat these shenanigans over and over.

The thing to remember is, this build isn't just about doing damage. You are extremely mobile and useful in almost every situation. You can teleport past hazardous obstacles or lines of enemies to get to the guys in the back. You can fulfill the duties of a Rogue by disarming traps (just have someone else spot them for you haha), and being sneaky. You can move around your teleport your allies at will, and even teleport enemies occasionally.

NUMBERS:
To Hit: 38
To Hit (Fey Charging): 42
Bonus Squares to Teleport: +9 Squares
Average Charge Damage (At-Will): 80

BUILD ALTERNATIVES:
Class-
An alternative to this build would be to use Rogue as your main class and multiclass into Fighter. It would effectively be the same I think. I found that a lot more Fighter powers support the concept of charging, but that may be overshadowed by automatic CA and Sneak Attack feature of Rogues. Overall your to-hit would probably be lower then a Fighter though (and don't forget you REALLY want to hit!). I personally went with Fighter because I liked having the Eladrin Chain Armor available to me and it just seemed to fit better.

Here is the Rogue main class variant (pretty much the same thing as the fighter version)

Show

Feycharger, level 30
Eladrin, Rogue, Kensei, Demigod
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Dagger
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Dexterity

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 30, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 45 Fort: 43 Reflex: 45 Will: 39
HP: 170 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +23, Stealth +30, Thievery +30, Insight +21, Perception +23, Athletics +27, Acrobatics +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +16, Heal +16, History +18, Intimidate +16, Nature +16, Religion +16, Streetwise +16

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 2: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 4: Backstabber (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
Level 6: Surprising Charge
Level 8: Nimble Blade (retrained to Roundabout Charge at Level 12)
Level 10: Student of the Sword
Level 11: Fey Charge
Level 12: Fey Step Trailblazer
Level 14: Nimble Blade
Level 16: Backstabber
Level 18: Feywild Protection
Level 20: Sun Elf Grace
Level 21: Feywild Warrior
Level 22: Light Blade Mastery
Level 24: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 26: Light Blade Precision
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Robust Defenses

ITEMS
Thundergod Dagger +6, Cloak of Distortion +6, Battle Harness Starleather Armor +6, Horned Helm (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Shadow Band (epic tier), Zephyr Boots (epic tier), Belt of Vim (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Wraithblade Dagger +6

You could actually get 3 higher AC if you wanted by snagging Two-Weapon Defense, Hide Proficiency, and using a Mage's Parrying Dagger in your offhand...but I went for more damage. After a Fey Charge however, you would have 51 AC with these, so it may be worth looking at. If you have concealment from Shadow Band, you effectively have 53 AC against melee attacks.

This build does a little more then 97 damage per round on average using only a basic charge.

Feats-
I am sure there are some feats that could be swapped around as well, some of these are personal preference from play experience with other characters so I am unsure about the order of some things. The basic "KEY" feats should be pretty obvious though. Mobile Warrior, Unstoppable Charge, and Powerful Charge are good charge related feats you could consider. Weapon Focus, and Fey Blades are a good way to add additional damage if you want it.

Paragon Path-
As an alternative Paragon Path, Sword Master can be very useful if you want to ensure landing hits (Via Surestrike). Be careful though, because you will be sacrificing a lot of damage for just +1 hit over Kensei. I am looking into the Fighting Styles now to see if there is something that offsets this (It looks like the Exotic Fighting Style will add +3 damage to your Sure Strike). Shocktrooper is a good altnerative PP for higher damage. If you go Eternal Defender with Shocktrooper you will end up with d12 Double Sword attacks!

Epic Destiny-
As an alternative Epic Destiny, Demigod could be a good one. It was the original Epic Destiny for this character build, but I realized I didn't really need the Dex stat bonus, and the extra Weapon Size + Auto Hit at level 30 seemed to fit the character theme perfectly.

The Future-
If they make Barbarian an available Hybrid class choice in any form, it will certainly be worth taking almost no matter what bonuses it confers. You will be able to snag the charge at-will power, as well as a plethora of charge freindly feats and powers from the Barbarian class (and possibly even pick up the class feature that lets you charge when you drop a foe with that feat!). Obviously you will still want to multiclass Rogue as well. There is nothing to lose here, only much to gain!

USEFUL ITEMS (Relevant to charging or teleportation):
Vanguard Weapon
Boots of Adept Charging
Thundergod Weapon
Eladrin Ring of Passage
Horned Helm
Eladrin Boots
Eladrin Armor

Standard Melee Fighter freindly equipment will work, you don't necesarily have to go overboard with the teleportation boosting items. I would say that Thundergod Weapon, and Horned Helm are essentials for the build though.

I appreciate you taking the time to check out the Feycharger, and would further appreciate any input, suggestions, or corrections you may have about this character build! Thanks!
Ideally, after speaking to the DM, one might even opt for Swordmaster, provided said DM allows using any fighter at-will on a charge instead of just the original four. Because using Dual Strike on a charge is just too much fun.

However, I don't think even using Fey Charge will let you do the instant-charging you outline above. But the idea is fun even without that.
Ideally, after speaking to the DM, one might even opt for Swordmaster, provided said DM allows using any fighter at-will on a charge instead of just the original four. Because using Dual Strike on a charge is just too much fun.

However, I don't think even using Fey Charge will let you do the instant-charging you outline above. But the idea is fun even without that.

Swordmaster is a pretty good call. I would very likely charge with Sure Strike to improve my chances to hit with the charge! Thanks a lot for that idea, I am going to look into the fighting styles now to see if there is any additional benefit I could get with Sure Strike.

Thanks for the input!

Also what do you mean "instant-charging"?
I don't think Sure Strike is worth picking up, even for the purposes of using it in charging. It simply doesn't compare well with the rest of the available at-wills.

With "instant-charging" I meant your idea of charging an enemy that you are already engaging.

For kicks, have my own version of this build.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Aramil, level 30
Eladrin, Fighter, Swordmaster, Demigod
Background: Geography - Forest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 18, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 45 Fort: 42 Reflex: 37 Will: 40
HP: 207 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Perception, Endurance, Athletics, Thievery.

FEATS
2: Fey Blades
4: Sun Elf Grace
6: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) (retrained to Agile Tempest at Level 12)
8: Powerful Charge (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
12: Roundabout Charge
14: Surprising Charge
16: Feywild Protection
18: Fey Step Trailblazer
20: Armor Specialization (Chainmail)
21: Mobile Warrior
22: Heavy Blade Mastery
24: Unstoppable Charge
26: Two-Weapon Fighting
28: Epic Will
30: Two-Weapon Flurry

POWERS
1, At-Will: Cleave
1, Encounter: Funneling Flurry
7, Encounter: Twofold Torment
9, Daily: Thicket of Blades
10, Utility: Menacing Stance
13, Encounter: Dance of Blades (replaces Funneling Flurry)
15, Daily: Boulder Charge (replaces Villain's Menace)
16, Utility: Regnant Shout
17, Encounter: Skirmisher Pounce (replaces Twofold Torment)
19, Daily: Devastation's Wake (replaces Rain of Steel)
22, Utility: Unyielding
23, Encounter: Fangs of Steel (replaces Dance of Blades)
25, Daily: Ballista Charge (replaces Thicket of Blades)
27, Encounter: Stabbing Torrent (replaces Fangs of Steel)
29, Daily: Force the Battle (replaces Devastation's Wake)

ITEMS
Eladrin Pitmail Armor +6, Subtle Double sword +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Cloak of Distortion +6, War Ring (paragon tier), Fleet Hero Tattoo (epic tier), Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier), Belt of Mountain Endurance (paragon tier), Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Ring of Dimensional Escape (paragon tier)
Ah, yeah Roundabout charge reads:

When you charge, you can end your movement in any square adjacent to the target from which you can attack it.

Which supercedes the movement stipulations on charge in the PHB (in regards to the positioning, doesn't nullify the "at least 2 squares" clause I believe):

You must move at least 2 squares from your starting position, and you must move directly to the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy.

:D, good stuff.

Also, what do you think of the Eternal Defender Epic Destiny over Demigod? The extra DEX doesn't really mean much, but I guess the other Demigod powers are really good.
Well, my reservations about the idea -- which I love, don't get my wrong -- stems from the stipulation that you must move "directly", which I read as disallowing changing direction while charging. That particular part of the movement requirements of charging is only superceded, in my opinion, by an item like Planestrider Boots, which specifically allows changing direction while teleporting as part of the same action, thus ostensibly allowing a charge around corners. Even so, it's not a given that a given DM would allow it.

I like the extra DEX from Demigod because I like the combination of Roundabout Charge and Mobile Warrior, the latter of which requires an investment in DEX that the build wouldn't get if it weren't for the Demigod's boost. With both feats, you can charge, end the charge in whatever adjacent square you wish, and then shift 1 square, regardless of whether or not the charge hit. It's not quite Unstoppable Charge, but the build would never qualify for that in any case.

EDIT: D'oh, I really should look at my own build before posting. Of course it qualifies for Unstoppably Charge -- the extra DEX is there in order to qualify for Two-Weapon Flurry, which sets up a nice combo with HBO and Dual Strike.
For the charge thing, even if you ruled it that you couldnt change direction for some reason, you would still be able to charge directly behind them with a Fey Charge teleport, like so:

e = enemy
u = you
o = square you could teleport to

xox ^
xex |
xux |

(The arrow is the direction of movement)

Just go in a strait line right through the guy, and you satisfy the condition of directly moving two squares. This would let you do it with your DM :D.

I was thinking of using Unstoppable Charge myself, but I couldn't think of too many scenarios where I would really need to make a move action or a minor action after my standard charge. I ended up going with the higher Reflex Defense (it is really lacking ), Initiative Bonus, and extra little bonuses on some of the Fighter powers (they are basically negligible though in most cases). Mobile Warrior is something I considered using until I realized I could charge while adjacent with Roundabout Charge and Fey Step/Charge.
You, sir, make a good point for the charge thing. :D

As for Mobile Warrior, remember that it triggers on any and every attack, giving it great versatility. Take, for example, a simple OA:

Enemy triggers our Opportunity Attack. Wielding a Double Sword and having chosen the feat combination of Heavy Blade opportunity, Two-Weapon Flurry and Mobile Warrior, get to hit him twice -- main and off-hand -- with a Dual Strike for the OA, can shift 2 (since we attacked twice), then Two-Weapon Flurry kicks in, allowing us to repeat the Dual Strike at a -5 to hit, and again shift 2, since Mobile warrior doesn't care about hit or miss.

We dance around the battlefield, can shift 2 after every Dual Strike and thus neatly set up new charges as necessary without ever triggering OAs. Not that we would have to worry about those, what with us Fey stepping everywhere... ;)
Oh wow, good call on the Mobile Warrior thing with Dual Strike. This char build seems like it will be very mobile. I added some of your Paragon/Feat suggestions to the original post!
Glad to have been of assistance. :D

When you get Mobile Warrior, by the way, you can drop the Boots of Adept Charging for something else. While increasing teleporting distance is nice, I don't think we ever need more than the Eladrin Chain, since at +6 it adds 3 to all teleports. Boots of Teleportation are nice for at-will teleports, so we never have to expend Fey Step for something so mundane as getting around the battlefield, though Sandals of Avandra add +2 to speed, which means increases the range on charging. At this point, I'm no longer sure Planestrider Boots actually add that much to the build, so they drop in usefulness.

For the Neck Slot, there's the Amulet of Infuriating Elusiveness, or something to that effect, which adds +2 to AC and REF until the end of the next turn when we move more than 3 squares.

Horned Helmet is nice, but going by how the CB interprets it, could be said only to add its damage to melee basic attacks on a charge, which wouldn't apply to a Swordmaster build using at-wills.

Vanguard Weapon (or Thundergod, the "big brother") is probably a better choice for weapon enchantment than the Subtle weapon I originally picked. It's now obvious to me that there will be much more opportunity for extra charge damage than there will be for CA damage, even though every charge will automatically have CA. Hmmm. Wraithblade could work, though. I'll have to have a look at it again -- not sure if it works on a Double Sword, but if it does, dealing Sneak attack more than once an encounter would certainly be a nice leg up, damage-wise.

EDIT:

Okay, so Wraithblade would be nice, but it only triggers on a Crit, and I don't think even the improved crit range of 19-20 by LVL22 would really trigger it often enough to outdo Thundergod on damage. But then again, I'm not a math wiz.

Speaking of math and damage, assuming the best case scenario -- the DM allowing any at-will on a Swordmaster's charge --, we would do quite some damage, assuming a fully tricked-out Dual Strike:

To-Hit: +37 vs AC (+34 base, +1 charge, +2 CA)
Damage: 2d8 (Weapon damage) + 1d8 (Surprising Charge) + 2d6 thunder (Thundergod weapon) + 3d6 (Horned Helmet) + 5d6 (Sneak Attack 1/enc) +17 (Enhancement bonus, Tempest bonus, IAoP item bonus, TWF bonus)
I went ahead and changed the Epic Destiny to Eternal Defender and made some feat changes. I also calculated the At-Will Charge damage.
I personally prefer the FeyCharger to be Brutal Scoundrel Rogue/Shock Trooper/Demigod. Sneak attack every round, added Str and Dex to CA attack (brutal scoundrel and quicker death),and make your double sword into d10s.
Every charge will do 2d10+Str+Dex+Str+Sneak Attack in Paragon, and 3d10+Dex+Dex+Str+Sneak Attack in Epic with Melee Training. You can grab back HandSpring Assault (Rogue Charge Daily) with Salves of Power. Effectively a 4[W] reliable charge and shift that you can regain.
Well, the best Feycharger hands down, as far as damage is concerned, is quite clearly the Eladrin Rageblood Barbarian, let's not fool ourselves here. The Feycharging Knight outlined above (for want of a better name) is probably best thought of as an enabling defender, darting around the battlefield without any regard to the frontline, which would preferably be held down by a dedicated tank such as a Battlerager or Paladin.
I made a brutal scoundrel rogue version to see what it would look like. I first had him as a Kensai, but chose Shock Trooper for fun. The level 20 daily would not be useful, though.

Andraste Arura, level 11
Eladrin, Rogue, Shock Trooper
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons
Background: Baldur's Gate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 11, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 27 Fort: 21 Reflex: 26 Will: 19
HP: 73 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature, Stealth, Thievery, Perception, Streetwise, Athletics, Acrobatics, Heal.

FEATS
2: Student of the Sword
4: Backstabber
6: Surprising Charge (retrained to Fey Charge at Level 11)
8: Melee Training (Dexterity)
10: Nimble Blade
11: Fey Gambit

POWERS
1, At-Will: Deft Strike
1, At-Will: Piercing Strike
1, Encounter: Dazing Strike
1, Daily: Handspring Assault
2, Utility: Sneak in the Attack
3, Encounter: Setup Strike
5, Daily: Walking Wounded
6, Utility: Ignoble Escape
7, Encounter: Rogue's Luck
9, Daily: Vexing Sting
10, Utility: Combat Tumbleset

ITEMS
Feytouched Drowmesh +3, Vanguard Double sword +3, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Cape of the Mountebank +2, Baldric of Tactical Positioning (heroic tier)
@Ogre: Weapon Expertise is better than Nimble Blade. I'd drop Backstabber or Melee Training instead of Surprising Charge. Surprising Charge is an extra d10, while Backstabber just turns 3d6 into 3d8. This is how I did it.

Nightcrawler, level 14
Eladrin, Rogue, Shock Trooper

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 11, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11.

AC: 24 Fort: 22 Reflex: 25 Will: 20
HP: 88 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy, Stealth, Thievery, Perception, Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Endurance.

FEATS
2: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
4: Nimble Blade
6: Backstabber (retrained to Fey Charge at Level 11)
10: Battle Awareness
11: Fey Gambit
12: Roundabout Charge
14: Backstabber

POWERS
1, At-Will: Riposte Strike
1, At-Will: Piercing Strike
1, Encounter: Dazing Strike
1, Daily: Handspring Assault
2, Utility: Great Leap
3, Encounter: Nasty Backswing
5, Daily: Precise Incision
6, Utility: Ignoble Escape
7, Encounter: Imperiling Strike
9, Daily: Knockout
10, Utility: Combat Tumbleset
13, Encounter: Stunning Strike (replaces Dazing Strike)

ITEMS
Double sword
Didn't bother to add Magic Items, and I just screwed around with the powers since most of them don't matter.
Shocktrooper was my first choice when I first started playing with the build. The thing I realized is the most important thing about this build is making sure you hit to maintain Fey Charge. If you really wanted the most damage possible over versatility, you could probably pull off Brutal Scoundrel Rogue as mentioned above with Shock Trooper PP and Eternal Defender Epic Destiny.

This would give you d12 Double Sword damage, but 2-3 less hit overall then the main build, and 1 less reroll on attack roll. Automatic Sneak attack damage is pretty neat . (1 less hit from Tempest fighting style, and 1 less hit from lack of Kensei). A potential benefit of being main class Rogue is you could put 20 in Dex, and still reach all of the essential feats for the build without losing too much.

One of the annoying problems with Rogue is having to blow a feat on Melee Training for Dex as your Basic Melee .

I am adding the Shock Trooper PP to the original post as an additional alternative, thanks for reminding me about it!
@Ogre: Weapon Expertise is better than Nimble Blade. I'd drop Backstabber or Melee Training instead of Surprising Charge. Surprising Charge is an extra d10, while Backstabber just turns 3d6 into 3d8. This is how I did it.

Ya you're right about NB and BS, I saw that later. I'm not so comfortable about dropping Melee Training, though. Since I'm supposed to charge, that uses my melee basic. Granted my Str and Dex aren't too far off, but that extra +1 or +2 to hit is important to keep Fey Step.
I've added this to The Complete Collection of Character Build Links

Thanks .

Sidenote, this build will be IMMENSELY improved if they implement any form of Barbarian hybrid (new Dragon Article PH3 sneak preview stuff). Fighter/Barbarian hybrid with Rogue multiclass would be absolutely ridiculous. Having the Barbarian charge at will power, with a lot of the charge freindly powers/feats would be amazing with little to no reprocussions (we don't really use too many of the Fighter features anyway).
Thanks .

Sidenote, this build will be IMMENSELY improved if they implement any form of Barbarian hybrid (new Dragon Article PH3 sneak preview stuff). Fighter/Barbarian hybrid with Rogue multiclass would be absolutely ridiculous. Having the Barbarian charge at will power, with a lot of the charge freindly powers/feats would be amazing with little to no reprocussions (we don't really use too many of the Fighter features anyway).

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing in the main Char Op Hybrid thread. Barbarian|Fighter/Rogue. Gives a nice charge attack with probably good health progression and at least up to hide armor. (as opposed to rogue's leather) Being able to get all of the rogue and fighter charge feats will be awesome for the Barbarian charger. You can use Eladrin Soldier for a Greatspear for Surprising Charge and Howling Strike together.
I'm missing something. How does one get CA by charging with a teleport? And how do you get to use an at will power? I'm not trolling, I just don't understand....brain hurt....

I love the concept of this and how you can put it across multiple classes. For example I'm already making up a beast ranger but just don't understand the CA and chose an at-will thing.
I'm missing something. How does one get CA by charging with a teleport? And how do you get to use an at will power? I'm not trolling, I just don't understand....brain hurt....

I love the concept of this and how you can put it across multiple classes. For example I'm already making up a beast ranger but just don't understand the CA and chose an at-will thing.

You can charge every turn, and with Fey Charge and Fey Gambit, as long as you hit with the charge, you can teleport on each one of your turns (giving you combat advantage with Fey Gambit).

The synergistic part of this build is the combination of Fey Charge (Use Fey Step to substitute for part of the move during a charge) and Fey Gambit (Gain CA when Fey-Stepping adjacent to an enemy). The operative part, on the other hand, is making sure that Fey Charge is always used such that you do teleport adjacent.
Also note, that this build does not actually leave much flexibility in classes. You really want to be some combination of Fighter/Rogue for all of the appropriate feats :P.
I'm wondering how well this build will work with a barbarian using howling strike on your charges.
Quite well indeed, though aside from hybridization, you will miss out on Fey Gambit as a Barbarian(Fighter). The upside, of course, is more charging damage overall, and the rages are ace.
Quite well indeed, though aside from hybridization, you will miss out on Fey Gambit as a Barbarian(Fighter). The upside, of course, is more charging damage overall, and the rages are ace.

You also lose Roundabout Charge, which is VERY important!
Not quite as much when you can have your choice between Mobile Warrior, Boots of Adept Charging and the like. But have a look at an example build.

Eladrin Greatspear Barbarian

Sariel, level 30
Eladrin, Barbarian, Pit Fighter, Demigod
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 12, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 12.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 45 Fort: 42 Reflex: 39 Will: 41
HP: 201 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 53

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Acrobatics, Athletics, Endurance.

FEATS
1: Eladrin Soldier
2: Improved Rageblood Vigor
4: Student of the Sword (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 11)
6: Deadly Rage
8: Moon Elf Resilience
10: Novice Power
12: Charging Rampage
14: Feywild Protection
16: Adept Power
18: Spear Push
20: Weapon Expertise (Spear)
21: Polearm Gamble
22: Polearm Momentum
24: Mobile Warrior
26: Spear Mastery
30: Surprising Charge

POWERS
1, At-Will: Pressing Strike
1, At-Will: Howling Strike
1, Encounter: Vault the Fallen
1, Daily: Swift Panther Rage
2, Utility: Combat Sprint
3, Encounter: Daring Charge (retrained to Rain of Blows at Novice Power)
5, Daily: Thunder Hawk Rage
6, Utility: Instinctive Charge
7, Encounter: Curtain of Steel
9, Daily: Oak Hammer Rage
10, Utility: Deny Death
13, Encounter: Thunderfall (replaces Vault the Fallen)
15, Daily: Thunderfury Rage (replaces Thunder Hawk Rage)
16, Utility: Great Stomp
17, Encounter: Shoulder Slam (replaces Thunderfall)
19, Daily: Storm Drake Rage (retrained to Quicksilver Stance at Adept Power) (replaces Swift Panther Rage)
22, Utility: Primal Instinct
23, Encounter: Berserker's Shout (replaces Shoulder Slam)
25, Daily: Ash Hammer Rage (replaces Oak Hammer Rage)
27, Encounter: Hurricane of Blades (replaces Berserker's Shout)
29, Daily: Crimson Phoenix Rage (replaces Thunderfury Rage)

ITEMS
Bloodclaw Greatspear +6, Elderhide Armor of Durability +6, Collar of Recovery +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Ring of Regeneration (epic tier), Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords (paragon tier), Belt of Mountain Endurance (paragon tier), Strongheart Tattoo (epic tier), Fleet Hero Tattoo (epic tier), Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier)

When this lady feycharges, she does a +37 vs AC attack that deals 2d10 (Greatspear) + 3d6 (Howling Strike) + 3d6 (Horned Helm) +49 (+9 STR, +6 weapon enhancement, +6 Iron Armbands of Power, +5 Pit Fighter, +2 Eladrin Soldier, +3 while Raging, +18 from Bloodclaw) damage. Arguably all of the rolls involved in dealing that damage are Brutal, from Gauntlets of Destruction ("When rolling damage on melee attacks, reroll any 1s"). When charging an enemy granting CA -- which can be achieved by more ways than Fey Gambit, such as allies with the Vexing Flanker feat -- she deals an extra 1[W] from Surprising Charge, and her to-hit goes up to +39. When she drops an enemy, she can charge an enemy as a free action 1/enc (Barbarian's Swift Charge). Additionally, whenever she crits while Raging, she can charge an enemy as a free action. Her Pressing Strike attacks benefit from Polearm Momentum and Spear Push, knocking the target prone after pushing 2. She has both Rain of Blows and Hurricane of Blades, which Demigod lets her recycle endlessly.

So no, I don't think not having Roundabout Charge is a dealbreaker for a Feybarbarian. ;)
Isenhertz, that's very similar to the feybarian charger build I had in...whichever thread it was a short while back.
*Edit* Here's the older thread.

I don't think they miss out on too much losing Roundabout Charge or Fey Gambit, and you can't sneak attack with a greatspear.
You're already fairly cramped for feats as it is.

I'd have a different feat order, and I'd drop Deadly Rage, but those are pretty much all feats that I'd want.

Moon Elf Resilience is probably party dependent, and since you don't actually have a lot of surges to spend it might not be a good idea. I don't think I'd want to spend many surges at all without getting a leader bonus.

This is what I'd sketched out before getting stuck on feat order at paragon:
Show

Hadarai, level 11
Eladrin, Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Background: Gray Vale

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 11, Dex 17, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 11.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
HP: 86 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth, Perception, Athletics, Nature, Endurance.

FEATS
2: Improved Rageblood Vigor (retrained to Novice Power at Level 4)
4: Battle Awareness
6: Improved Rageblood Vigor
8: Weapon Expertise (Spear)
10: Powerful Charge

POWERS
1, At-Will: Howling Strike
1, At-Will: Pressing Strike
1, Encounter: Great Cleave
1, Daily: Macetail's Rage
2, Utility: Combat Sprint
3, Encounter: Rain of Blows (Novice Power Swap)
5, Daily: Vengeful Storm Rage
6, Utility: Combat Surge
7, Encounter: Curtain of Steel
9, Daily: Black Dragon Rage
10, Utility: Mountain Roots

ITEMS
Vanguard Greatspear +3/Thundergod Greatspear +3, Screaming Hide Armor +3, Torc of Power Preservation +2

Powerful charge would almost certainly get retrained for something, though it's not a bad feat.

To be honest, Polearm Gamble/Momentum, Spear Push, and even Feywild Protection are probably optional feats. For example, in Epic you'd certainly rather have Robust Defenses rather than Feywild Protection, and the effect from Spear Push can be replicated by multiple different items. Granted, Spear Push adds another square to the distance pushed, but if you had a better use for the feat it could go.
I guess the whole debate will be put to rest if they make Barbarian a hybrid class choice. I get excited imagining Roundabout Charge with Charging Rampage. Whenever you crit with Howling Strike, you teleport charge behind them (while already engaged in melee), and make the Howling Strike against the same guy again.

I would probalby stick with the Double Sword as my weapon of choice with the Fighter/Barbarian (Rogue MC) hybrid build for Nimble Blade and Dual Strike (and Rain of Blows).

I think I am going to plan out a theoretical character build with absolutely no special bonuses for Barbarian (aside from the normal hybrid rules for all classes). BRB Character Builder :P.
That's very similar to the feybarian charger build I had in...whichever thread it was a short while back.

I don't think they miss out on too much losing Roundabout Charge or Fey Gambit, and you can't sneak attack with a greatspear.
You're already fairly cramped for feats as it is.

I'd have a different feat order, and I'd drop Deadly Rage, but those are pretty much all feats that I'd want.

I wouldn't be surprised if I took my original inspiration from said thread -- the throughput in this board is massive, but anything with "Fey" in the title will inevitably draw my attention. ;) I threw this together rather quickly, so it's not entirely optimized as far as feats go yet. I agree that Deadly Rage could drop out without causing much of a fuss -- Bloodclaw sees to that. Heck, I could pick up Power Attack instead, and charges would still be at +34 vs AC, which are better odds than most casters I've built - the Proficiency bonus really does make a difference.

In a perfect world, I'd play both a Feyknight and a Feybarbarian at the same time. :D

EDIT: Now you've gone and edited while I was writing. ;)

I agree that the Polearm/Spear feats are optional, though I think since the build multiclassed into Fighter anyway, it might as well pick up a goody here and there. Going over the list, I think the Adept Powerswap feat could go as well, since while Quicksilver Stance is ace in and of itself, it doesn't add much to a charge. Here's an updated selection.

Feats 1-30

2: Improved Rageblood Vigor
4: Student of the Sword (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 11)
6: Weapon Expertise (Spear)
8: Moon Elf Resilience
10: Toughness
12: Charging Rampage
14: Feywild Protection
16: Novice Power
18: Spear Push
20: Polearm Momentum
21: Spear Mastery
22: Weapon Focus (Spear)
24: Mobile Warrior
26: Robust Defenses
30: Surprising Charge

Of the Polearm combo, Gamble is the most expendable, since we don't have HBO to suck every last drop of benefit from the OA it grants. Moon Elf Resilience could probably be retrained to Fey Step Trailblazer by Paragon, because you make a very good point about the limited ressource that is our healing surge pool. Feywild Protection is still worth staying, because +2 to all defenses after any charge is just too good.
I played around in the Character Builder, but it kept crashing from all the custom elements being added . It looks like if there is a Barbarian Hybrid, it will be kind of squishy with Hide Armor and very tight with feats. I overall think the bonuses you get on charges, and the power selections you have available more then make up for it though. You would DEFINITELY have to take Demigod as your Epic Destiny to boost your Reflex and AC (the regeneration and stuff involving reincarnation help too :P).

Overall Loses:
AC (Lots I think)
Fighter Class Features (-1 Hit is the only one that really concerns us)
Damage? (The Tempest related feats and feature)
Less Teleport Range (Loss of Eladrin Chain)

Benefits:
Charging Powers (At Wills, and Encounters!)
Damage? (Barbarian powers have higher [W] then Fighter stuff, and we also get Howling Strike)
Barbarian Class Feature: Rampage (Crit, and get another charge with the appropriate feat)
Light Armor (You can now charge into the air using Zephyr Boots since we are wearing Light Armor, and I am also fond of Battle Harness)
Rages (Oh yeah.)

The neat thing is, if you Feycharge twice in the same turn (from an action point, or from the Rampage feature), the defense bonuses you get will stack (From Feywild Protection and Sunelf Grace) because they are untyped. If you charge, crit (charge again), then action point (charge again), you will end up with +9 to all your defenses (lol). If you use dailies in there, you are going to be teleporting all over the place.

Overall the character will play more offensively, and more like a striker if there is a Barbarian hybrid, and I think it will perform a lot better.

EDIT: It would be even better if they give us a full featured version of the Barbarian Rampage for free with the Barbarian hybrid, which would free up a feat slot and let us take Tempest Fighting feature /drool.
Also note, that this build does not actually leave much flexibility in classes. You really want to be some combination of Fighter/Rogue for all of the appropriate feats :P.

I build a pursuing avenger multiclassed into fighter around the same concept. It loses fey gambit (which is compensated through the 16th level feature of the zealous assassin PP) and roundabout charge (which meant I had to create a houseruled item to be able to end adjacent and gain my double roll).

The biggest pro of going avenger is rolling double d20's which means you miss much less and therefore will almost never lose your fey step! Also it gains invigorating pursuit which give you a +2 to AC and damage after charging. The charging powers for avengers are not that interesting regretably, but hopefully that will change with divine power. This is compensated however by the fact that avenger's get some great 'teleporting together with your target' powers!
where can i find the details of the Feycharger feat?

thanks in advanced...
Martial Power.
I added the Rogue Build to the Build Variants section of the original post if anyone is interested. Defenses are about the same, if not a little higher. Didn't calculate out the Sneak Attack damage using Fey Charge yet though with this build.
I've been toying with this build a little bit, and instead of rogue decided to make a bit of a fusion with the arcane feycharger, going Fighter MC Swordmage into Swordmaster PP. Charging Dual Strikes with Swordmage Advance for a free attack vs every enemy teleported next to, setting oneself up for a ton of marked scourges seems very nice to me.
What benefits do Fey Step Trailblazer and Sun Elf Grace give? Also, where can I find them?

Thanks.
Oh also, I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the Feycharger threads:

If you go Swordmaster and convince your DM to allow using Dual Strike on a charge, then you are granted to attacks. Therefore, you have a much higher chance of hitting with your "charge." Rolling twice would pay off more than a +1 attack bonus from Kensai. Anyone know of how exactly this would work?
Oh also, I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the Feycharger threads:

If you go Swordmaster and convince your DM to allow using Dual Strike on a charge, then you are granted to attacks. Therefore, you have a much higher chance of hitting with your "charge." Rolling twice would pay off more than a +1 attack bonus from Kensai. Anyone know of how exactly this would work?

Unfortunately, the phb update states explicitly which Martial Power fighter at-wills work with swordmaster, and Dual Strike is not among them. However, the update adds Cleave to the lists of usable powers - combined with Deft Hurler Style, you have your two attacks on a charge. Now, add Eladrin Swordmage Advance, and you have 3 attacks on a charge, just using at-will powers, with no special equipment requirements.

For reference, i added a build like that at the very end of my Arcane Feycharger build, but it should really get an own post sometime (its the last sblock of the post, called Melee Weapon Feycharger, 193DPR).
What benefits do Fey Step Trailblazer and Sun Elf Grace give? Also, where can I find them?

Fey Step Trailblazer let's you teleport someone with you when you fey step (dragon 366)
Sun Elf Grace is a limited feywild protection that stacks with it and is available at heroic (FRPG)
Sign In to post comments