Joseph Silver's Mini-Guide to Sorcerer Damage Types

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I went through the sorcerer's repertoire of spells to see which damage types are used most and which are used least. Here's what I found out:

Level 1 At-Will Spells - Acid, Cold, Fire, Psychic, Thunder
Level 1 Encounter Spells - Acid, Cold, Fire, Psychic, Thunder
Level 1 Daily Spells - Lightning, Poison, Radiant, Random (Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Psychic, Radiant)
Level 2 Utility Spells - Fire
Level 3 Encounter Spells - Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Poison
Level 5 Daily Spells - Acid, Fire, Lightning, Psychic, Thunder
Level 6 Utility Spells - None
Level 7 Encounter Spells - Cold, Force, Lightning, Thunder
Level 9 Daily Spells - Fire, Poison, Psychic, Thunder
Level 10 Utility Spells - None
Level 13 Encounter Spells - Fire, Psychic, Thunder, Untyped
Level 15 Daily Spells - Cold, Fire, Psychic, Radiant
Level 16 Utility Spells - None
Level 17 Encounter Spells - Cold, Lightning, Poison, Thunder
Level 19 Daily Spells - Fire, Lightning, Poison, Random (Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Psychic, Radiant)
Level 22 Utility Spells - None
Level 23 Encounter Spells - Acid, Cold, Psychic, Untyped
Level 25 Daily Spells - Force, Psychic, Choice (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Thunder)
Level 27 Encounter Spells - Fire, Lightning, Poison, Thunder
Level 29 Daily Spells - Acid, Untyped, Random (Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Psychic, Radiant)

Total (Including Random):

Acid - 6
Cold - 8 (11)
Fire - 11 (14)
Force - 3
Lightning - 8 (11)
Necrotic - 0
Poison - 7 (10)
Psychic - 8 (11)
Radiant - 2 (5)
Thunder - 9
Untyped - 3

*Draconic Incarnation (Sorcerer Attack 25) counts as all of its possible damage types because it gives the caster a choice.
*The numbers between parenthesis include the random damage type spells.
*Untyped spells are those that deal damage without a type. Utility spells that don't deal damage are not counted as untyped spells.
*This tally does not include sorcerer paragon path spells.

The most used damage type is fire. Eleven sorcerer spells deal fire damage, with three daily spells having a 1/6 chance to deal fire damage. Unfortunately, fire is one of the most commonly resisted damage type in the game, so you'll have to at least put some effort into bypassing fire resistance if you want to be an effective fire sorcerer. I'll probably have my LFR sorcerer take the Arcane Wellspring paragon path so he won't get screwed by fire immunity.

The least used damage type (excluding Necrotic and Untyped) is radiant. There are only two sorcerer spells that deal radiant damage and three that have a 1/6 chance of dealing radiant damage. Sorcerers won't be replacing divine classes as undead slayers any time soon.

There are no sorcerer spells that deal necrotic damage unless you count the Wild Mage's daily spell, Prismatic Bolt, which has a 1/6 chance of dealing necrotic damage. If you really want to play a necrotic sorcerer, go Shadar-kai, load up on cold spells, and take Darkwinter Wild Soul and Blade of the Raven Queen (both from Dragon #372). Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until level 21 to be able to do so (but you can still be an ice sorcerer while in the meantime).

Any questions?
/bump
...The least used damage type (excluding Necrotic and Untyped) is radiant. There are only two sorcerer spells that deal radiant damage and ...
Any questions?

Good start, but you might want to look at the Arcane Power Book too.

McSmashin.
McSmashin
I went through the sorcerer's repertoire of spells to see which damage types are used most and which are used least. Here's what I found out:

Any questions?

This is actually very helpful, it makes my feat choice much more easier as I am not the kinf to fully optimize (new to 4th, not much time trying to figure out the best possibilities).

I wish there was something similar for all classes!

Thx
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
Fury of Dragotha (sorc 25 daily) deals necrotic. It is kind of an oddball.

Interesting analysis. The big problem is that there are a lot of really CRAPPY sorc powers. This skews the useful results some.

Have you included arcane power in your analysis? Dont forget the PH Heroes at-will, and Grounding Rebuke (white lotus)
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
Fury of Dragotha (sorc 25 daily) deals necrotic. It is kind of an oddball.

Interesting analysis. The big problem is that there are a lot of really CRAPPY sorc powers. This skews the useful results some.

Have you included arcane power in your analysis? Dont forget the PH Heroes at-will, and Grounding Rebuke (white lotus)

Given that the initial post date was in mid March with no edits, I don't think he's come back to this at all. I'm not sure why it got bumped yesterday.
Oh right.. Hey Mourner, why did you bump this thread for??? Its 4 months out of date.
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29