The Avenger Handbook: Because nobody expects the Divine Inquisition

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome, my children

You have chosen to walk the Avenger's path, to be the blade of our God, to punish those who stand against you. Here you will learn what it takes to be the most powerful avatar you can be.

1) Class Features

2) Ability Scores

3) Races

4) Skills

5) Feats

6) Powers

7) Paragon and Epic paths

**This is a work in progress, please do not post until I give the OK**
1) Class Features

For those of you who wandered into our temple without knowing what they have gotten themselves into, allow me to remind you what the Avenger is capable of. We are the divine blade that strikes at the wicked. We swear divine Oaths that allow our God to guide our strike at our foes. Our faith in our God also protects us, those who's faith is strong enough to enter battle without more resilient armor will be protected. For those of you who lack the faith to enter combat without heavy armor, the Paladins are always recruiting.

There are two paths that an Avenger can walk, one who chases the wicked foe who flees, and one who seeks retribution for enemies too cowardly to face you alone.

I shall use Dictum Mortuum's color-coding, which is the common system for easy reference.

Red is dead. An "option" that is more likely a trap.
Purple is not as bad as red, but is not the best you could do by any means
Black is a decent option, you could do worse
Blue is a very good option
Sky Blue is something just about every Avenger will want

2) Races

God is fickle when choosing his (or her) servants, and unfortunately, some of you will be better suited to meting out their wrath than others.

Deva - Smart and wise, you will make for a good Avenger, particularly if you seek to offer out retribution to those who seek to gang up on you. Your memories of previous lifetimes will be a boon to you when you seek to utilize your more potent powers

Dragonborn - Alas, my scaly children, your brute strength and strong personality are ill suited to being an Avenger. Try the Paladins on the other side of the mountain

Dwarf - Hardy and wise, Dwarves make excellent Avengers, your resilience and ability to heal faster will serve you well against the godless heathens you will face

Eladrin - While you Eladrin will find it hard to overwhelm your enemies, since you are not naturally wise, your God-given gifts will add some extra oomph to your powers, though either your dexterity or intellect will be useless, as you cannot use both paths of the Avenger. Your natural ability to teleport will get you out of some sticky situations that would prevent you from using your Oath

Elf - The Gods smile upon you, my Fey children, not only are you agile and wise, but your lethal accuracy is well suited to being an Avenger, you will have many chances to land your most potent powers

Gnome - Your natural abilities and size prevent you from being a truly righteous Avenger, but if you insist, use your intellect to your advantage, and get your small hands on a Bastard Sword, and make as much use of your ability to disappear during combat as you can

Goliath - You are made for brute strength, and will not have a dominating mind, but your physique will help you obtain some excellent Hide armor to help you on the battlefield as you progress.

Half-Elf - Hardy and with a strong personality, neither of which boost what you can do in combat. You might be better served to seek out the Paladins, just follow the Dragonborn

Half-Orc - You lack the keen mind of other Avengers, but your agility will serve you well on the battlefield, and your brute strength will boost your fortitude

Halfling - I am sorry, my diminutive children, but your size and boisterous personality make you poor choices to mete out the Divine justice we offer.

Human - With your versatility and hardy defenses, you can make a fine Avenger, and your extra feat will make it easier to obtain the weapon of your choice, or some nice Leather armor, or both, if you so choose

Shifter, Longtooth - You are wise and savage, and your bloodrage will help you when the battle becomes fierce

Shifter, Razorclaw - Nimble and wise, you are very capable of pursuing your foe. You would rate higher if not for the fact that the keen accuracy of the Elves outshine you.

Tiefling - Your intellect, combined with your bloodhunt, and wrath, will allow you to be a serviceable Avenger
*More reserving*
*Yet another reserved post*
*Having fun yet? Another reserve post*
*And the last reserve, feel free to post now*
Um, you do know there is an Avenger Handbook out already, right? If so, it's always nice to have a second opinion, so I look forward to whatever you have to say.
Um, you do know there is an Avenger Handbook out already, right? If so, it's always nice to have a second opinion, so I look forward to whatever you have to say.

I did not know that, I looked in the "library" but didn't see it there. If you wrote it, I will doubt I can surpass it.

But I've been so excited about the Avenger that I wanted to do one of these
I did not know that, I looked in the "library" but didn't see it there. If you wrote it, I will doubt I can surpass it.

Go right ahead. I'm the guy that did it, so it's not like one of the experts did. It shouldn't be a problem to surpass it.

Here's mine.

And if you can figure out how to get an effective striker out of it while still using your own powers, it will be a really valuable contribution.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Like kilpatds said, it wasn't me. I'm not really into Divine classes in general... He's done a good job, so I feel no need to add into it.

The library is a bit out-dated; I don't know if necrosnoop's been online lately...

All right, I wish you luck then.
Halfling - I am sorry, my diminutive children, but your size and boisterous personality make you poor choices to mete out the Divine justice we offer.

I was rather impressed by the Racial PP for Avenger purposes. I think they might be servicable, once that's taken into consideration. To be specific, Halfling's Taunt just seems crazy good.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Don't get this the wrong way, but you reserved your posts more then half a year ago, would'nt it be nice to post something?
Don't get this the wrong way, but you reserved your posts more then half a year ago, would'nt it be nice to post something?

As kilpatds had already started an avenger handbook this one never developed any further. For avenger advice I suggest you go to:

Kilpatds' wiki version of the handbook which is up to date for the sections that have been completed
Kilpatds' forum version of the handbook which is complete but no longer updated, it might also be valuable for the discussions
Auspex7's Avenger Builds Thread, which has a lot of great builds and very worthwhile discussions.

Have fun!

Sign In to post comments