Righteous Wrath: The Avenger's Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post
Righteous Wrath: The Avenger's Handbook (The Discussion Thread)

The thread is for discussion of Avengers, and maintaince of the handbook.

Well, it was. And then the Wiki blew up.  So ... yeah.

Original Wikitext: here on google drive

Collective's reposting: another thread in this forum

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Tactics

mkill goes into far more detail than I do in his Art of Striking thread. Read my little intro below, but then follow the link to his guide, and read it multiple times.

1. Make them misbehave

If you Chase, you WANT them to run. Put up damage auras around you, or darkness clouds. Tell the fighter to not mark that guy, but tell the Paladin, Swordmage or Warden to mark them and kite them. Move away from melee brutes so that they don't provoke an OA from you, if you're better off with the bonus. Go after artillery that would provoke if they attacked you, and make sure your OA is good enough that they avoid it. Don't box your target in.

If you're a Martyr it's usually pretty easy. Go early, run into the middle of the pact and watch them all beat on you. Push everyone away except your oath target (Divine Rage, teamwork), and then vaporize your target. Repeat. Provoke OAs to get your position just right. Say hello to all the minions... at low levels it can hit you for 4 damage, say, and give you a +4 bonus to all your attacks until the end of your next round. Your main concerns are surviving the beating without going through surges too quickly or using up your groups healer.

AndrewRF put together a nice list of ways for a retribution avenger to chase down/lock down it's target. (Divine Power has added many more)

Ignis_Fatuus followed up with a long list of tactics and powers for a pursuit Avenger to convince it's target to run.

Both of these are well worth a read.

2. Get Multiple Attacks

Your powers won't do it, so you need items, or team work. Convince someone to be a Warlord, Bravado if possible, with Commander's Strike. You want lots of attacks, to apply multiple times per round those lovely lovely static damage modifiers you've accumulated. Mutli-class to grab powers, or PP with powers. Pick up some equipment... something.

3. Take chances

You've got a pretty good AC. You've got more HP and surges than most strikers. If your target moves away, go after it. Take the OA. It's all good. If you get hit, just funnel that rage into beating up your target.

I've pointed out lots of feats and magic items that help survivability on the assumption that you're taking a lot of risks. If you have all that survivability and don't take risks, you won't help your party out any.

4. Remember that the leader is a group resource

Don't monopolize your group's healer, and don't run out of surges. Prefer resistance and regeneration to the ability to spend a surge, and manage your AC so that you can stop getting hit when you've decided you don't want to spend more healing.

If you are a Martyr, you might want to be hit, but you won't want to be hit regularly. A few times in one round is perfect: you use your action point, you get the chance to use your mutli-attack powers at peak effectiveness, you may get given extra attacks. But getting hit round in and out will just suck out all your groups healing abilities. So make sure you can turn off the "go ahead and hit me" tactics.

5. Concentrate on positioning

You need someone to misbehave to get the big static bonuses, but you need to isolate your target to get the oath. It can be tricky to get both, but you'll want to. Delay and let your fighter or warlord move some people around? Use your mobility to get around the target? If none of these work, well, you have some powers that will make everything ok ... but only a limited number.

6. Choose who to abuse correctly the first time

You can't mess this up much. Once you pick an enemy, you're gonna be stuck hitting them until they die. So get it right. Look for the annoying squishy targets and nuke them first. If they're squishy they're more likely to misbehave, so that's all for the better.

Save the big guns (the debuffs) for the solo/elite, and save him for when your party can focus fire... cause a debuffed enemy won't last long.

7. Play well with others

The basic mechanics of the Avenger class tend to suggest a "solo duel with a key bad guy" mechanic. Um, screw that.

If you're in your line, it's harder for monsters to deny you your oath. If you're applying status effects, it's nicer to let others work with them. If you're a crit fisher and you'd like to really ruin a monster's day, it's nicer if the leader can boost your to-hit or damage. Those "woodshed" powers? The woodshed is actually the square that's next to the Fighter/Ranger/next Melee Threat.

So, work with your party. They'll like you more, and you'll like them more. So you can't claim quite as much glory... ah well.

The Short List

In the large mess of rating everything, it can be hard to pick out the true default choices. So I'm pulling those out into here. This list should be kept small, so that you have plenty of other things to choose from, but here are some default choices almost every Avenger will want.

Race
  • Chasers: Elf, Razorclaw Shifter, Githzerai

• Martyrs: Devas, Longtooth Shifters, Shadar-Kai at Epic

• Ninjas: Elf, Drow

• Crit Fishermen: Half-Elves, Revenant Half-Elves, Half-Orcs.

Feats
  • Weapon Proficiency

• CD: Divine Rage

• Weapon Expertise

• Melee Training or Power of Skill (Except for Crit Fishermen)

Paragon Paths
  • Pitfighter (Chasers, Critvengers)

• Warpriest/Son of Mercy (Wannabe Defenders)

• Dreadnought (Martyrs)

• One with an extra Striker damage feature (Simbarch of Aglarond for Martyrs, and Thuranni Shadow Killer for Chasers, Ardent whatever for Pursuit pure avengers)

• One that improves Crit Range (Daggermaster, Student of Caiphon)

Build Elements

• Expanded Crit range. PP or Mastery Feat

Equipment

Implements
  • Symbol of Victory

• Master's Wand of Thunderwave, if Half-Elf wizard

Arms
  • Iron Armbands of Power, unless radiant weapon

• Quickhit Bracers or Rapidstrike Bracers, depending on style

Feet
  • Greaves of Maldeen

• Sandals of Avandra, Boots of Teleportation or Zephyr Boots at 30th

Hands
  • Antipathy gloves

• Gauntlets of destruction, unless you're using a Brutal weapon

Wondrous Items
  • Violet Solitaire

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

in the equiptment section it's feet, not feed.
Add in repulsion armor, and comment on displacer armor for making d20 rolls all over the place.
Please include a section on how to best take advantage of the MC feat that gives you OoE for 2 turns. How, for example, a multi-attack fighter/ranger might make full use if it.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Ranger needs to be on the list of Day Jobs. Two Blade Warrior combined with some power swaps makes the alternate Avenger happy. Toss in Two Weapon Opening for more multi-attack fun.

Also Spiked Chain Mastery lost its Martial prereq. Unfortunately the Avenger has no innate multi-attacks, but Two Weapon Opening can do that. The Half Elf can get Twin Strike for this as well.

Please include a section on how to best take advantage of the MC feat that gives you OoE for 2 turns. How, for example, a multi-attack fighter/ranger might make full use if it.

Barbarians that can meet the Wis requirement will love it as well.
in the equiptment section it's feet, not feed.
Add in repulsion armor, and comment on displacer armor for making d20 rolls all over the place.

Done. Thanks. (Displacer armor is less useful to the Retribution build than you might think.)

I'd rather not. I'd like this to be the handbook for those that start avenger. But if you've got a good thread for the conversation, I'll put it in the references section.

Heroic Tier powers done, Heroic tier basic feats done.

Anyone have a good image?

Other equipment suggestions?

Working on it...
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/Ryokugod/2k2.jpg?t=1237004840)

How's that one? Link for it is here.

Got anything a little ... more bent up with personal issues? Huge manga sword optional.

It's a good start here. You should add Improved Armor of Faith as a feat.

Also, if Axes are blue, so are Heavy Blades. The Fullblade is a great two hander. HBO can create better OA's as well. I think Axes and Heavy Blades should be sky blue personally. Both give out High Crit, the best weapon property for the Avenger.
Also, if Axes are blue, so are Heavy Blades. The Fullblade is a great two hander. HBO can create better OA's as well. I think Axes and Heavy Blades should be sky blue personally. Both give out High Crit, the best weapon property for the Avenger.

I'm not quite sure how to value High Crit. You roll twice, but you have to jump through serious hoops to get a decent crit range. (Neither of the "pure" builds will get it without using the PP, and possibly wasting it's powers.)

Heavy Blade Opportunity has a Stat requirements that are possible, but a bit of a stretch. But I don't know that the at-wills are good enough to bother. Normally you'd take it so you can hit, but Martial Mastery makes that easy.

I will make Heavy blades blue though...

Oh yeah...and Righteous Rage of Tempus. It's so obvious we forgot about it.
IMAGE(http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/fantasy/executioner_fantasy-200107-SM.jpg)

How's that one? :D

Link's here.
It's a good start here. You should add Improved Armor of Faith as a feat.

Oh yeah...and Righteous Rage of Tempus.

Yes, Yes I should. Thanks.

Looking at the level 6 utilities up there, I see there is no sky blue. Well, Soul Seeker, from Dragon 372 City Entombed, seems to be about as good as it gets. You conjure a spirit that can flank with you. When you kill a target adjacent to the spirit, you heal hp's equal to Wis mod. If it it's your Oathed target you can also Oath another enemy adjacent to your spirit ally as a free action. You can sustain and move the spirit 5 squares as a minor action.
So has anyone done calculations to determine when the oath of enmity maximizes DPR and when you should go for the censure of retribution instead? (I.E. when you should be glad you are surrounded and getting wailed on rather than alone with your target?)

The censure of retribution is really interesting. As you increase your intelligence the damage bonus goes up BUT the chance that you actually get hit goes down because your AC is increasing. That leads me to believe there is a "sweet spot" where your AC and damage potential are optimized. It might be possible then to get your Int too high. Weird.

Anyway if that is the case, then perhaps the retribution avenger should avoid, "improved armor of faith," and other feats that really pump up armor class.

Censure of pursuit....eh, it sounds like you are going to have to focus on ranged squishies if you want them to run.
Yeah that's my early take on Retribution. You kinda want to get your ass kicked. I too think you might not want to max your AC...might. The Bond and the Censure can combine for some nice stacking Int damage. Dwarf seems a very good candidate seeing as he gets minor action second wind (cloak of the walking wounded ftw). I also noticed a Deva feat that gives you +2 to hit and damage for the rest of the encounter when you drop to 0 hp's or fewer. Of course you have find ways to not get KO'ed when you reach 0 hp's or fewer.

kilpatds, how many, if any, healing surge type powers are there?
I'm not quite sure how to value High Crit. You roll twice, but you have to jump through serious hoops to get a decent crit range. (Neither of the "pure" builds will get it without using the PP, and possibly wasting it's powers.)

Heavy Blade Opportunity has a Stat requirements that are possible, but a bit of a stretch. But I don't know that the at-wills are good enough to bother. Normally you'd take it so you can hit, but Martial Mastery makes that easy.

I will make Heavy blades blue though...

I would think that HBO + Bond of Pursuit would be, as people like to say, "made of glorious win". But I don't actually have the full info for the avenger so it's all just shots in the dark here!
First of: thank you kilpatds for the efforts (and giving us who do not yet own the PHB2 some more power previews)!

For the pursuing avenger the attractiveness of artillery might be mentioned under tactics as they will either stay (giving you an OA) or run away (giving you extra damage and a free shift if you used bond of pursuit).

Regarding the bond of pursuit: so far I used it more often than overwhelming strike because its gives you great positioning options, especially because you only need to end closer, which means that you can shift all the way around a target...
Longtooth Shifters - You don't have the perfect stats for the path of Retribution, but you have the perfect racial power. You might even survive.

The power granted by Melora's Tide is really similar with the LS (Longtooth Shifters) racial power! It costs 1 feat, but remember that +2str is wasted! And also, other LS racial features are crap!!!
IMO, LS are a nice race, but not "Sky blue" one.

P.S.: I don't have the PHB2, so I don't know if there are some nice racial LS's feats.
For the record you put Punisher of the Gods in red, when I think you meant to put it in blue...
Thanks for this.

The more I see of the Avenger, the more I like it. Ok, it's never going to outdamage a ranger, but the class features are pretty cool, and the flavour is outstanding.

With the Oath and Armor features, two handed high crit weapons are surely the best option?
As you asked for equipment suggestions:

Arms:
Couters of Second Chances: gives a reroll, which with OoE means two rerolls
Iron Armbands of Power: +2 on damage is always good!

Feet:
Boots of the Fencing Master: bonus to AC and Reflex after shift (nice for pursuer)

All of these come from AV (as do the one's you mentioned as coming from PHB2 btw)

For the fighter multiclassing spear wielders: the Draven Marauder PP (Dragon 365) gives 19-20 crit with spears and although its powers are strength based they are very nice and shifty for an avenger...

Under Epic Destinies you might also mention the deadly trickster as it gives you three rerolls a day (nice with OeD) and its 24th level feature says you do not expend encounter or daily powers if the first roll is 18+
So has anyone done calculations to determine when the oath of enmity maximizes DPR and when you should go for the censure of retribution instead?

The best case is to provoke a lot of OAs on the way to the target.

The censure of retribution is really interesting. As you increase your intelligence the damage bonus goes up BUT the chance that you actually get hit goes down because your AC is increasing. That leads me to believe there is a "sweet spot" where your AC and damage potential are optimized. It might be possible then to get your Int too high. Weird.

Yep. The, um, "good"? news is that you only have cloth armor, and you can just run into flanking positions. You could also carry a small shield to lower your AC.

Censure of pursuit....eh, it sounds like you are going to have to focus on ranged squishies if you want them to run.

I don't have a really good feel for how the chasers get their bonus damage, especially since the target has to move away voluntarily.

kilpatds, how many, if any, healing surge type powers are there?

A few, but I can't imagine it's enough, as you won't have the surges. So I'm focusing on regeneration (at least one) and damage reduction as the primary ways to live.

To get Oath of Enmity, you need to not be adjacent to any Allies. You can be adjacent to as many enemies as you want.

It's the other way around:

When you make a melee attack against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you, you make two attack rolls and use either result

It's the other way around:

Der. I can't read. Thanks. I've changed some ratings around a little, and added some explanations to a few powers.

The power granted by Melora's Tide is really similar with the LS (Longtooth Shifters) racial power! It costs 1 feat, but remember that +2str is wasted! And also, other LS racial features are crap!!!
IMO, LS are a nice race, but not "Sky blue" one.

P.S.: I don't have the PHB2, so I don't know if there are some nice racial LS's feats.

None of the heroic tier are super nice. +2 damage with combat advantage? +3 damage on charges. Reroll when following tracks and an initiative modifier.

In paragon, you can gain Resist 2/all while regnerating. That's nice.

Thanks for pointing out Melora's Tide. I added it to the feats, and modified the ratings some.

Got another pic for ya, kilpatds:

IMAGE(http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/719/719267/exclusive-character-bio-iafro-samuraii-20060717025038162-000.jpg)

Link's here.
Got another pic for ya, kilpatds:

Thank you sir. Put in place.

First pass at the Paragon powers.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, "move away willingly" just means that it doesn't work with push/slide effects; the target just shifting from you to hit the defender that marked him last turn works (or at least it should...).

Can someone write-up the encounter and daily lvl1 powers, if it isn't too much work? I'm going to start a campaign this weekend and want to play an Avenger, but my PHB2 only arrives next week >=[ damn shipping times to South America, hehe
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, "move away willingly" just means that it doesn't work with push/slide effects; the target just shifting from you to hit the defender that marked him last turn works (or at least it should...).

Exactly, this way the avenger teams up nicely with the non-fighter defenders (the fighter has no ranged control over his marks as the other do). My luck that our defender is a fighter...
Wow. This came up fast. Looks good so far!
Great Handbook. Looking forward to completion.

Just a little nitpick:

Student of Caliphon (D366) - Cha based, so your'll never use your powers.

It's "Caiphon" not Caliphon. And actually you can use two of the three powers. Because the L12 and the L20 powers are both not stat dependent (kind of strange path concerning the L20).
The L13 power and the L16 path feature are wasted though.

Keep up your great work. And thanks for the effort you put in this.
Don't forget to add in the 4 Avenger powers from Dragon 372:

Living Death Strike Daily 5
Soul Seeker Utility 6
Light and Darkness Encounter 7
Fated Doom Daily 9
Another Feat I am think may work well for the Avenger and that I am going to try is the Channel Divinity: Divine Rage feat from Dragon 368.

It's a generic CD feat for those that don't want to worship Tempus or aren't happy with their own god's. Or pick it up as well when you get a Symbol of Divinity so you can use both.

It's a Minor Action, Close Burst 1, Wisdom vs. Will that only hits enemies and if you hit is pushes them 1 square and they get a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Even on a miss it pushes them 1 square so this can be used to clear out multiple enemies and you can choose not to push your Oathed Enemy to get the benefit.

You can even get some of the Magic Items that increase push, pulls, slides and get somewhat Controllerish with this if you wanted.
You can even get some of the Magic Items that increase push, pulls, slides and get somewhat Controllerish with this if you wanted.

There's a fully controller avenger build there somewhere, I just don't understand it yet. I think I need to, but I don't. There are some nice controller powers at each level, but no theme that I see yet.

Example: Aspect of Terror. Psychic, close burst 5.
Hit: Push 3, apply condition (s-e): if they attack you, they are stunned for a turn.

Ok. Powerful controller ability. You are forcing them to not attack you, at least until they save. What's the interaction with anything else you do that makes that important?

I don't have a PHB2 yet so I could be way off, but is an Avenger build that uses no implement possible?
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
I don't have a PHB2 yet so I could be way off, but is an Avenger build that uses no implement possible?

Quite. At most levels there is only one implement power, and it frequently isn't one you'd use as an opener before you moved in.

Awesome thank you. One less magic item to put on the wish list.

Excellent work on the guide, has me to excited to play an Avenger!
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Bloodiron Weapon should probably go up as it's probably the best for the Daggermasters.

And we shouldn't forget War Rings for the Crit-Fishers.

And despite no needing implements, I like using Symbol of Victory for the power and a back up ranged power with your second at-will.