Go team!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
We have plenty of theads on making one super guy, but what about the whole party?

Let's try to build the most effective four man party possible, they should be ready for almost anything, and bonus points for being a team as opposed to a pack of powerful individuals.

I am not sure how I would do this personaly, I'm still working on it.
We have plenty of theads on making one super guy, but what about the whole party?

Let's try to build the most effective four man party possible, they should be ready for almost anything, and bonus points for being a team as opposed to a pack of powerful individuals.

I am not sure how I would do this personaly, I'm still working on it.

If you like theme concepts, see my Feysword and Feyblade: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1125788

Add a Feylancer (Eladrin Warlord teleport concept) and a Feycharger (Eladrin Fighter/Rogue or Rogue/Fighter who uses charge-teleports).
You'd need a really solid defender to draw attacks from everything, a healing-optimised leader (read:cleric) and probably a couple of heavy DPR strikers. Off the top of my head, that is.

Also, is this optimised for fighting BBEG, or just loads of grunts, or all-round?
Maybe try:
- MC Hammer (standard great weapon fighter)
- Hexhammer Warlock (good melee basics, and range versitility)
- Bravura Warlord (with martial power cha warlords can be great healers)
- Archer Ranger Beastmaster

This gives you two people who can fight at range, which is important, and 4 people in melee (everyone gets a flank buddy). MC hammer and the Hexhammer have fantastic basic melee attacks so the Bravura is pumping out striker damage. Props if MC hammer / the Bravura are dragonborn for AoE goodness. You've got all the skill bases covered too (at least if the Warlock goes Con/Int with intelligent blademaster).
Team striker

Dragonborn hexhammer/Doomsayer PP with a pact hammer
Dragonborn warlord using Commander’s Strike on hexhammer for striker damage
Dragonborn paladin of tempus/Ciaphon PP for defender/healer/striker
Bugbear brutal rogue MC fighter/kensei PP (rain of blows) with large frost double sword + lasting frost + wintertouched for DPR

each encounter Minions are cleared by 3 breath attacks, and the hexhammer using rod of corruption and 2d8 cursebite for warming up the baddies

each encounter at paragon 3x (5x5 enlarged) area effect with 1d10+con(empowered) cold damage with lasting frost and winter touched, the latter 2 deal 5 for vulnerability

The hexhammer's lower AC would be compensated by his dark pact's feedback protection that should get charged up frequently by the striker team dropping anybody (rod of corruption at the beginning of battle), thus making foes avoid him.

warlock majored in controller, minored in striker
warlord majored in leadership, uses hexhammer to minor in striker
paladin majored in defender, rages in the name of tempus for striker
bugbear majored in striker, minored in fighter's striker power

By having all 4 roles the skills are evenly distributed for good skill challenge success rate.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Team striker

Dragonborn hexhammer/Doomsayer PP with a pact hammer
Dragonborn warlord using Commander’s Strike on hexhammer for striker damage
Dragonborn paladin of tempus/Ciaphon PP for defender/healer/striker
Bugbear brutal rogue MC fighter/kensei PP (rain of blows) with large frost double sword + lasting frost + wintertouched for DPR

each encounter Minions are cleared by 3 breath attacks, and the hexhammer using rod of corruption and 2d8 cursebite for warming up the baddies

each encounter at paragon 3x (5x5 enlarged) area effect with 1d10+con(empowered) cold damage with lasting frost and winter touched, the latter 2 deal 5 for vulnerability

The hexhammer's lower AC would be compensated by his dark pact's feedback protection that should get charged up frequently by the striker team dropping anybody (rod of corruption at the beginning of battle), thus making foes avoid him.

warlock majored in controller, minored in striker
warlord majored in leadership, uses hexhammer to minor in striker
paladin majored in defender, rages in the name of tempus for striker
bugbear majored in striker, minored in fighter's striker power

By having all 4 roles the skills are evenly distributed for good skill challenge success rate.

Only dwarves can use Pact Hammers.
Only dwarves can use Pact Hammers.

No, that's not the full truth. Only dwarves can use Pact Hammers as implements. All can use the second property.
And that kids is why you should not post in the forums after a days work and no sleep the night before. That being said, I think that WotC saw the Hexhammer builds and crafted the Pact Hammers to supplement them.
I think this thread could use some rules:

You create a level 1 super party
The characters don’t own any magic items.
The party could be composed of 4 or 5 members.
Only official released books allowed.

The concept of create a super team is pretty open. So we can use some rules as a starting line.
Alternate Rules:

You create a level 30 super party
Only 3 magic items allowed
The team could be composed of 4 or 5 members
Only official released books and playtest articles allowed.
Okay...Level 1, 4man party.

Dwarf Sword and Board Fighter, 16Str 18Con - Full-on "Attack Me" defender (plate prof)
Dragonborn Insp. Warlord - Minion smiting with DB, Commander's Strike
Drow AD Rogue - Stabby McStrikerson, for dealing with everything
Genasi GW Barb - 18Str 16Int (for a decent AC without spending a feat on chain) - Powerful Charge, taking down the BBEG, single target massive damage.

Defender, 2 Strikers, Leader/Controller

This might work, I've tried to avoid the MM races, Bugbears for example will always make better rogues.
Ultimate Cheese -- Infinite Attack Combo x4
Lvl 30 party of 4 warlords. More like a phalanx of identical characters.
This party makes full use of Sudden Assault and Divine Miracle.

4x Elven Warlord(Tactical Presence)/Warpriest/Demigod
(the combo requires at least two members)

Magic Items
Belt of Titan Strength, (dmg +10 power for 1 round)
Iron Armbands+6 (dmg +6 item)
Withering Fullblade+6 or Luckblade+6

Dailys
Precision Stance

Encounter
Sudden Assault

The Cheesy Part.
Continuous Sudden Assaults is what this party is all about. Since the party members are lvl 30 demigods, they can keep using Sudden Assault essentially at-will (after they've used up their other encounter powers). So essentially the team members take turns attacking until a person misses.

Every team member has Luckblade, Warpriest power, Elven Accuracy, and Precision Stance. The first three let you reroll 1 attack per encounter/day, and the last one lets you reroll 1 ally's attack once per round. So it'll be a while before someone misses.

+15 base attack roll
STR26 = +8 to attack rolls
INT26 = +8 power bonus to att (with tactical presence / sudden assault)
(does tactician's armor stack here?)
+6 magic item
= +37 att. I guess that's kind of low for a blade cascade type power so maybe some optimization could raise it. The only real requirement is sudden assault + divine miracle, so you could vary the classes quite a bit to tweak/optimize and make the party more well rounded. An interesting variation would be 4 warlords with different presences.

So... can these powers (sudden assault + divine miracle) really work together this way? Seems overpowered to me, but I guess if the combo requires two lvl30 demigods, then maybe it's not so overpowered. (It'd be easy enough to nerf by making Divine Miracle a 1/round power or something like that).

All in all, not bad for my 1st 4th edition character, lol.