Super Healers Away!

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have had several ideas for “Healer” builds
that I wish to refine with some help of my fellow gamers.

It is my strong opinion that the stability of a party in combat
is largely measured by the effectiveness of the “healer”.
To that end I have been attempting to design a character
who’s restoration abilities are at their full potential.

This first example is something I stumbled upon when exploring the options that Half-elves are given.

Start the character out as a Half-elf Cleric that worships the Raven Queen. Their Con bonus helps keep the character alive while the Cha boost aids the character with some of their prayers not to mention their Diplomatic skills.

For the Dilettante power choose the Paladin’s Lay on Hands and for the first feat choose Student of Battle. The Lay on Hands power can only be used once per encounter, but it has limited daily uses anyway which balances it out. The Student of Battle feat not only allows you to master another skill but gives you access to the Warlord’s Inspiring Word, which is almost identical to the Cleric’s Healing Word.

At your first level you can now use
Two Healing Words,
One Inspiring Word and
One Lay on Hands.
Each of these powers grants healing from a Healing Surge,
which is at least 25% of a character’s total hit points
and since Healing Word, Inspiring Word, and Lay on Hands
do not prevent you from using other healing powers
and are all minor actions you have
the potential of healing over 75% in a single round!

Healing Word = 25% + 1d6 + Wis (Healer’s Lore)
Inspiring Word = 25% + 1d6
Lay on Hands = 25%

To take this even further your next feat could be
Raven Queen’s Blessing, which allows you to heal someone
the first time you land a killing blow per encounter!

I would also suggest Group Insight,
but that is somewhat of a personal choice.
---
Some questions now:

In what ways can this character’s healing abilities be improved further
while they remain within the first tier?

Does the Cleric’s Healer’s Lore ability apply to cross-class powers?

What would the best equipment be for this character
for enhancing their healing abilities?

Are there any better healing-oriented character designs?
---
P.S.

I was wrong about taking Lay on Hands as a Dilettante,
so the red sections are Irrelevant.
For the Dilettante power choose the Paladin’s Lay on Hands and for the first feat choose Student of Battle. The Lay on Hands power can only be used once per encounter, but it has limited daily uses anyway which balances it out.

my whole world is spinning...up is down down is up...can you REALY take lay on hands as a dilettante power??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!? If so how did I miss this...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Part of the reason I want people to discuss this build
is because I am unsure if it works with the rules.

You have my full support if you can disprove this build...

I just want to make a good healer.
:D
my whole world is spinning...up is down down is up...can you REALY take lay on hands as a dilettante power??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!? If so how did I miss this...

No. Half-Elves can only take attack powers as their Dilettante Power... barring DM intervention, of course.
Well that sucks...
I thought I was onto something there...

Either way,
taking back that bit about Lay on Hands,
how can you improve upon the healing of
a low level Cleric with Student of Battle?

No, it only applies to Cleric powers with the healing keyword. So it doesn't apply to powers your cleric picks up by MC feats, feat powers (like the Raven Queen one), or PP powers.

What would the best equipment be for this character
for enhancing their healing abilities?

I believe there's an armor that lets you heal an ally. Also, there's a belt that improves allies healing surge amount by its enhancement bonus.
I know there's also a healer's mace or something like that in AV.
Mace of Healing
Property: When you use a power that restores hit points
to an ally, add an item bonus equal to this weapon’s
enhancement bonus to the amount restored.

Symbol of the Warpriest
Property: Each time you hit with an attack using this holy
symbol, one conscious ally within 5 squares of you regains
hit points equal to the symbol’s enhancement bonus.

Gloves of the Healer
Property: When you use a power that has the healing
keyword, one target regains an extra 1d6 hit points.
Level 22: 2d6 hit points.

Healer's Brooch
Property: When you use a power that enables you or an ally
to regain hit points, add the brooch’s enhancement bonus
to the hit points gained.

Healer's Sash
Property: This sash can have no more than 5 charges at one
time and resets to 1 charge after an extended rest.
Power (At-Will): Standard Action. You or an adjacent ally
expends a healing surge but does not regain hit points as
normal. Instead, add 1 charge to this sash.
Power (Encounter, Healing): Immediate Reaction. Use
this power when an ally within 5 squares of you takes
damage. Expend 1 charge from the belt. The ally regains
hit points as though he or she had spent a healing surge,
and regains an extra 1d6 hit points.
Level 21: +2d6 hit points.
Mace of Healing

Symbol of the Warpriest

Gloves of the Healer

Healer's Brooch

Healer's Sash

Question: how do stacking rules apply to healing?
I.e., does healing count as a bonus, or an instantaneous effect?
Obviously the collective value of these items hinges on this question. Can a cleric with a +4 Mace of Healing, +4 Healer's Brooch and the Gloves of the healer really add d6+8 to all his healing powers?

The answer will also have a major impact(in my opinion) on the total potential of healers in 4e: healing surges have added an inherent limitation on the raw healing a cleric can do, dependent not just on his own power but also the durability of hit teammates(this is for good reason, given the absurd healing potential healers had in 3.5e).

Evaluated at lvl 19, when you can possibly obtain all 3 items:
Without items/feats/powers that add to the value healed, a healer's potential is completely dependent:
--He can heal a fighter with 12 surges and 108hp a total of 324 hp in a day. --Healing word raises this to 324+12d6, an average of 366.
--A cleric with Wisdom 20 raises this to 426.
--Adding the Mace of Healing +4, Healer's Brooch +4 and Gloves of the Healer brings the total to 564, a total 74% increase in the amount of hp healed over the basic healing surge potential.

Now take a laser cleric of the same level using a +4 Symbol of the Warpriest.
--Assume a 50% hit rate
--Assume encounters average 6 rounds.
--Assume 4 encounters per day.
(3hits/encounter)x(4encounters)x(4healing per hit)=48 healing total, at 12 per encounter. Note that unlike most other healing, there is no upper bound on this healing. The more encounters and hits the cleric gets, the more healing he does. 5 encounters at 8 rounds per encounter would net 80 healing, increasing hit rate on the original 4/6 assumption from 50% to 70% would give 64-68 healing per day, and 112 per day for a 5/8 setup.

This means that at 4/6/50%, the healing mace gives an expected 14.8% increase in daily healing over the basic healing surge potential, which is an 8.5% increase over the decked-out cleric.

*This is all based on the healing potential of Healing Word alone*
Adding single-target encounter and daily heals obviously improves the cleric's healing potential. This increases even more when applied to multi-target healing powers.
Multitarget healings, however, only significantly alter the cleric's burst healing output, rather than their daily healing potential.

Given all these facts, on to the optimizing of the heroic tier cleric:
A Level 4 cleric may have:
--Holy Healer's Weapon +1: add enhancement bonus to Healing Word, and 1/day grant a healing surge at +5+wismod.
--Healer's Brooch +1: add enhancement bonus to healing powers

As you move on to lvl 7 and 8, you can upgrade to a Mace of Healing +2, and upgrade your healer's brooch.

As you level(and more splatbooks come out), the key elements to look at are:
1. Burst healing potential. This is what you're already focusing on when you consider how many different ways there are to allow a target to spend a healing surge.
2. Healing beyond the surge. Any little bit of healing you can squeeze in in addition to the surge value will improve not only your burst potential, but your long-term healing as well.

One issue of note:
At level 2 with a Holy Healer's Mace, your healing word grants 9.5 average extra healing above the surge value. On a level 2 fighter with 37 hp, this is actually more than his healing surge value. This means that if you only use healing word, you are more than doubling your healing potential. As seen in the earlier analysis at lvl19, your % increase goes down as level rises via healing word. This means that in order to keep up the same relative potential as a healer, you not only have to focus heavily on itemization, but also rely heavily on healing encounter powers/dailies.
--In general, as level rises, investment to remain about the same in relative healing potential rises as well. This is in keeping with the general 4e trend(that as level rises it takes MORE effort to stay on top of the curve of a particular niche), which drives characters towards heavier specialization than at lower levels.

Any criticisms of my analysis are welcome.
Question: how do stacking rules apply to healing?
I.e., does healing count as a bonus, or an instantaneous effect?
Obviously the collective value of these items hinges on this question. Can a cleric with a +4 Mace of Healing, +4 Healer's Brooch and the Gloves of the healer really add d6+8 to all his healing powers?

All untyped bonuses stack, including those from the same source. (as nothing says that same source doesn't stack, and the default is to do what is written, i.e. for effects to stack unless specified otherwise, similar to how you don't need a rule to tell you that 2 damage and 3 damage 'stack')

That isn't even relevant here though. Most of them are new effects created or simple additions to values rather than bonuses, (if I understand correctly, bonuses are always specified as such) only the Mace of Healing giving an actual bonus.

The answer will also have a major impact(in my opinion) on the total potential of healers in 4e: healing surges have added an inherent limitation on the raw healing a cleric can do, dependent not just on his own power but also the durability of hit teammates(this is for good reason, given the absurd healing potential healers had in 3.5e).

Evaluated at lvl 19, when you can possibly obtain all 3 items:
Without items/feats/powers that add to the value healed, a healer's potential is completely dependent:
--He can heal a fighter with 12 surges and 108hp a total of 324 hp in a day. --Healing word raises this to 324+12d6, an average of 366.
--A cleric with Wisdom 20 raises this to 426.
--Adding the Mace of Healing +4, Healer's Brooch +4 and Gloves of the Healer brings the total to 564, a total 74% increase in the amount of hp healed over the basic healing surge potential.

Now take a laser cleric of the same level using a +4 Symbol of the Warpriest.
--Assume a 50% hit rate
--Assume encounters average 6 rounds.
--Assume 4 encounters per day.
(3hits/encounter)x(4encounters)x(4healing per hit)=48 healing total, at 12 per encounter. Note that unlike most other healing, there is no upper bound on this healing. The more encounters and hits the cleric gets, the more healing he does. 5 encounters at 8 rounds per encounter would net 80 healing, increasing hit rate on the original 4/6 assumption from 50% to 70% would give 64-68 healing per day, and 112 per day for a 5/8 setup.

This means that at 4/6/50%, the healing mace gives an expected 14.8% increase in daily healing over the basic healing surge potential, which is an 8.5% increase over the decked-out cleric.

*This is all based on the healing potential of Healing Word alone*
Adding single-target encounter and daily heals obviously improves the cleric's healing potential. This increases even more when applied to multi-target healing powers.
Multitarget healings, however, only significantly alter the cleric's burst healing output, rather than their daily healing potential.

Given all these facts, on to the optimizing of the heroic tier cleric:
A Level 4 cleric may have:
--Holy Healer's Weapon +1: add enhancement bonus to Healing Word, and 1/day grant a healing surge at +5+wismod.
--Healer's Brooch +1: add enhancement bonus to healing powers

As you move on to lvl 7 and 8, you can upgrade to a Mace of Healing +2, and upgrade your healer's brooch.

As you level(and more splatbooks come out), the key elements to look at are:
1. Burst healing potential. This is what you're already focusing on when you consider how many different ways there are to allow a target to spend a healing surge.
2. Healing beyond the surge. Any little bit of healing you can squeeze in in addition to the surge value will improve not only your burst potential, but your long-term healing as well.

One issue of note:
At level 2 with a Holy Healer's Mace, your healing word grants 9.5 average extra healing above the surge value. On a level 2 fighter with 37 hp, this is actually more than his healing surge value. This means that if you only use healing word, you are more than doubling your healing potential. As seen in the earlier analysis at lvl19, your % increase goes down as level rises via healing word. This means that in order to keep up the same relative potential as a healer, you not only have to focus heavily on itemization, but also rely heavily on healing encounter powers/dailies.
--In general, as level rises, investment to remain about the same in relative healing potential rises as well. This is in keeping with the general 4e trend(that as level rises it takes MORE effort to stay on top of the curve of a particular niche), which drives characters towards heavier specialization than at lower levels.

Any criticisms of my analysis are welcome.

Interesting analysis. I mostly agree with your analysis, but disagree about the comment about needing to specialize further for the same relative potential. While this is likely the best design for things, and is probably also how things are intended to be designed, there are multiple examples where it is not the case. The first and most egregious would be action denial (stun-locking is an example.) The more you have, the more deadly it is, as the percentage of attacks/actions that you deny increases dramatically with more of it. It's the same with your defenses; the more you have, the better a bonus is. Fortunately, 4e has done a remarkably good job of keeping the defenses (I'm including AC in 'defenses', by the way) around a good range, making it nearly impossible to get good enough to be unhittable in any defense and yet keeping it so that they're almost never low enough that a bonus to it is useless. Another example would be saving throw penalties. A little is okay, but a lot breaks the effects that have (save ends).

There are of course plenty of examples of things that do scale linearly so that an increase isn't as valuable at higher levels. Damage is one example, with bonuses to damage mattering less when you have more of it (which doesn't mean you shouldn't get more if you're a Striker or have multiple attacks, only that the relative increase is reduced for each bonus) Bonus actions would be another example, though since the bonus actions can often have other useful effects it's largely considered better than action denial (also, that it feels better to get an extra attack than to deny one to an opponent probably plays a role in its valuation as well.) And of course there's hp, healing surges, and multiple other things. Optimizing these is normal optimization. Optimizing the non-linear ones leads to borked things (i.e. stun-locking, completely breaking (save ends) effects, which generally actually leads to stun-locking, and becoming unhittable, all after a simple threshold is able to be passed = number of creatures, -11+~5 penalty, and +~10 over average)
No, it only applies to Cleric powers with the healing keyword. So it doesn't apply to powers your cleric picks up by MC feats, feat powers (like the Raven Queen one), or PP powers.

Blessing of the Raven Queen should still work as its a as it uses the Clerics Channel Divinity power to be invoked. The feat basically grants a new use to an existing cleric power (specifically "Channel Divinity"). As such should still get the Healer's Lore.
Blessing of the Raven Queen should still work as its a as it uses the Clerics Channel Divinity power to be invoked. The feat basically grants a new use to an existing cleric power (specifically "Channel Divinity"). As such should still get the Healer's Lore.

Nope, not by RAW. It requires a cleric class feature to use it. It is not, however, a cleric power. It is a feat power.
Going for Strength 13 for Student of Battle I guess isn't a bad idea necessarily, but I think you'd be much better off having a good Constitution, decent Dexterity or Intelligence (your pick based on Skill Mods and/or feat requirements), and awesome Wisdom and Charisma while going for the Dedicated Cleric build. I just don't think a Strength 13 for one daily use of a healing power is good in the long-run. At level 1, it's pretty good I guess.

Honestly, I would only go super hardcore healer build like this in a 5-6 man party where no other leaders even existed. If you have a paladin with you in a 4-5 man party and he has a high Wisdom (which he probably should if he's not a hybrid build, yuck), then do you really need all that extra healing that you're going out of the way for? Healing is great and all, but so are buffs that kill the monsters faster and of course you flinging a bit of good damage onto the pile of DPR directed at your key enemies. The best healing in my opinion is no healing needed...

That being said, I appreciate someone who really wants to make the team shine. You need someone who is willing to let Striker and Defender Glory boys bask in the spotlight while you don't get any of the credit but are the key to their success.
Going for Strength 13 for Student of Battle I guess isn't a bad idea necessarily, but I think you'd be much better off having a good Constitution, decent Dexterity or Intelligence (your pick based on Skill Mods and/or feat requirements), and awesome Wisdom and Charisma while going for the Dedicated Cleric build. I just don't think a Strength 13 for one daily use of a healing power is good in the long-run. At level 1, it's pretty good I guess.

Honestly, I would only go super hardcore healer build like this in a 5-6 man party where no other leaders even existed. If you have a paladin with you in a 4-5 man party and he has a high Wisdom (which he probably should if he's not a hybrid build, yuck), then do you really need all that extra healing that you're going out of the way for? Healing is great and all, but so are buffs that kill the monsters faster and of course you flinging a bit of good damage onto the pile of DPR directed at your key enemies. The best healing in my opinion is no healing needed...

That being said, I appreciate someone who really wants to make the team shine. You need someone who is willing to let Striker and Defender Glory boys bask in the spotlight while you don't get any of the credit but are the key to their success.

I agree that a hardcore healer design should only be used in a group that is in dire need of a leader and since 4e has done such a good job making the other leader classes appealing that shouldn't be an issue in large groups. There are a few exceptions though, such as when you have a leader character (let's say a warlord) only using thier healing abilities on themselves in an attempt to be a tank or when you have a zealot paladin that is more interested in dealing out damage than aiding thier allies. In those cases the extra healing would be needed to help the other characters that get left behind, at least in my experience that is.

I disagree with the sentiment that 13 str is a waste if only for the reason it helps you with Healing Strike as well as your basic melee attacks when you need it. I have found that having at least one power that targets AC instead of Will or Ref comes in handy when fighting enemies with high defenses but low AC. There are also many other cleric attacks that are resolved through a melee attack, although I will admit that I personally avoid most of them. You cannot always avoid melee combat, especially since many of a cleric's pwers are relatively close-range.

I would like to point out that there is more to gaining a use of Inspiring Word than might meet the eye. Both Healing Word and Inspiring Word are minor actions and each also prohibit using multiples on the same turn but they don't prevent you from using a combination of the two. That means in one turn you can spend a standard action to use Beacon of Hope (5 healed and +5 healing to all powers) minor action to use Healing Word (25% + 1d6 + Wis + 5 healed) and then a move action as a minor action to use Inspiring Word (25% + 1d6 + 5) all in the same round. Even without item enhancements to healing that is 50% + 2d6 + Wis + 15 healed within a 3 burst or just subtract 5 if they are within 4 or 5 squares instead. At lower levels that is enough to restore a dying character to full health and at high levels I'll bet it is nothing to sneeze at either...

Oh, and thanks for the appericiation for what I am trying to do...
I feel like too many people try to hog the spotlight in DnD games.
The point is to have fun
and it is hard to do that if you are constantly afraid of dying!
I'm glad for this thread.

I have a friend who wouldn't play fourth edition because he was under the impression that he couldn't heal-bot as a cleric.

he told me: "I don't mind attacking, but I'm a corpsman through and through, healing's what I do."

I then punched him for rhyming, but yeah.
Mace of Healing

Symbol of the Warpriest

Gloves of the Healer

Healer's Brooch

Healer's Sash

You forgot Holy Healer's Weapon (hold it in shield hand, don't need to attack to gain the property bonus) and the Luminary Ring (yay increased range).
Another issue has come up that I think is relevant when discussing healer builds:
Should a healer cleric acquire feats to gain shield proficiency?

The majority of magic shield appear to be oriented on protective abilities,
but then you have a few that grant healing to allies or the wielder.

Mechanically the reason you would use a shield would be for the bonus to AC
but since there are also feats that you can take that require shield proficiency
as well as the aforementioned magical powers you can gain access to
it really becomes an issue of what you can do with the shield instead of the protection.

I am not saying the bonus to AC is useless, on the contrary, as such protection will likely
be needed since a cleric’s most basic abilities all require you to be within 5 or less squares
meaning that a melee confrontation is nearly inevitable. When that happens the non-healing
shield abilities can really come in handy, such as pushing them away or dazing them so you
can get back to your job of keeping everyone happy and healthy.

A shield is also useful for when you need to become a temporary tank substitute,
which can happen even if you are doing your job correctly thanks to all the nasty ways someone
can be incapacitated mid-battle. In my group our Warlord leader was the acting tank and during
the first round engaged with a giant plant monster (forgive my ignorance of the monster’s actual name)
he became enveloped within the tangled confines of it’s body! The Warlord in question is notoriously
unlucky when it comes to saving rolls, so for the entire encounter he was unable to fight…
but that is just an example of when a healer cleric might have to step up to the bat.

Two more questions before I stop my rant for today:

How can you heal someone when you do not have direct line of effect with them?

In what ways can a Paladin be an effective healer?

Thank all of you for your insightful posts
and may your healing be great!
The Healer's Shield in AV is damn amazing, so yeah I think shield proficiency is worth it.
In what ways can a Paladin be an effective healer?

Take Hospitaler as your Paragon Path. Challenge a foe using AoE attacks. Hit or miss, whether you are in the AoE or not, every ally that is attacked gets healed (1/2 level + Wis mod) HP. That can far outshine a cleric's Healing Word over the course of a battle.
Spellscarred, and Spellscarred Savant as your PP. Has a nice little spell at 16,
Healing Flesh of the Infected - spend a healing surge but gain no benefit, target can regain hp as it if had spent a healing surge PLUS an equal number of temp. hp.

With an action point, you can use it 4x an encounter with the PP.
I have a few ideas about this stuff. But I think I need to ask an important question.

How many healing surges a day to most players seem to use? Controllers/Strikers/ect.

I know this can depend on the session and the DM, but what are most people seeing?

Are most players nearly out of healing surges at the end of the day? Do the wizards have a handful of unused healing surges, while the Fighter runs out?

I am still using 3.5, so its hard for me to assess how important healing surges are currently for PCs. I will be switching to 4.0 soon in one of my games to see how it runs.
Link to good discusion on healing clerics

Wish List of Magic Items for max Healing Clerics and opinions on the matter

In my humble opinion which very well could be wrong:

Healer’s Broach adds an enhancement bonus to the healing which is the same as the enhancement bonus added by the Holy Healer’s Weapon so these two enhancement bonuses will not stack.

Mace of Healing is an Item bonus so it will stack with Healer’s Broach.

Glove’s of the Healer is an untyped bonus.

Medic’s Weapon is a separate once or twice an encounter enhancement bonus. It can be used with other things because it creates a separate effect. However, nothing would add to it.

Symbol of Divine Reach is your best choice for a Holy Symbol. It does not offer healing.

Cord of Divine Favor is your best choice for the waist item. It heals yourself as you heal others.

Boots of the Fencing Master is your best choice for the feet item. It helps keep you out of trouble.

Bracers of Mental Might is your best choice for the arm item. It does not add healing except for allowing one STR based clerical power per encounter.

Imposter’s Armor is your best choice for armor because of its low level and that fact that your daily magic item uses are already expended elsewhere.

Crown of Leaves combines with your high Wisdom to have good untrained Nature and Insight checks. Having a Cap of Water breathing in your Handy Haversack is good idea.

Wondrous items that heal usually can be used by anybody therefore they should not be carried by the Healer of the party since he/she could be unable to act. The same applies to the Healer’s Sash.

Ring of Feather Fall is your best choice for one of your rings since it can protect you from a failed acrobatics or athletics roll. Ring of Tenacious Will is your best choice to keep you from dying.

The Battle Standard of Healing requires a standard action to place. Is it better than having a Symbol of Divine Reach and using Sacred Flames on the first round? Maybe, maybe not?

So, at 15th level, one uses Healing Word and Heals one ally for Healing Surge + Wis + 3d6 normally plus +3 +3 +1d6 for the healing items. A typical ally at this level has about 100 hp. So the healing would do about 25 plus 7 Wis bonus (if one started with max wisdom) plus 10.5 plus 6 plus 3.5 for a total of 52 hp or the equivalent of two healing surges. Of this only 9.5 hp is due to the healing items.

The character could have purchased things like Cloak of Distortion and Shield of Deflection making the Cleric very difficult to damage with ranged attacks. So, each player will have to consider the costs of maximizing healing before proceeding.

Level 1 – +1 Magic Holy Symbol
Level 2 – +1 Dwarven Armor
Level 3 – Battle Standard of Healing (Adventurer’s Vault p. 180) {and later purchase Floating Lantern (AV p. 171)}
Level 4 – +1 Healer’s Brooch (Adventurer’s Vault p. 152) {later purchase +1 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72) and Everlasting Rations}
Level 5 – see earlier items
Level 6 – +2 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46) {later purchase Bracers of Mental Might (AV p. 115)}
Level 7 - Boots of the Fencing Master (AV p. 127)
Level 8 - +2 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV 88) {later purchase +2 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 9 – +2 Healer’s Brooch (Adventurer’s Vault p. 152) {later purchase +2 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72)}
Level 10 – Cap of Water Breathing (AV 138) {and later purchase Handy Haversack}
Level 11 – +3 Imposter’s Armor
Level 12 – Gloves of the Healer (AV p. 135)
Level 13 – +3 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {and later purchase Cord of Divine Favor (AV p. 165) and +3 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 14 – +3 Healer’s Brooch (AV p. 152) {later purchase +3 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72) and Ring of Feather Fall (AV p. 158)}
Level 15 – see earlier items
Level 16 – +4 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46)
Level 17 – see earlier items
Level 18 – +4 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +4 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 19 – +4 Healer’s Brooch {later purchase +4 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72)}
Level 20 – see earlier items
Level 21 – +5 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46) {later purchase Ring of Tenacious Will (AV p. 161)}
Level 22 – Gloves of the Healer (AV p. 135) {later purchase Ioun Stone of Perfect Languages (AV 143)}
Level 23 – +5 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +5 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 24 – +5 Healer’s Brooch {later purchase +5 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72)}
Level 25 – see earlier items
Level 26 – +6 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46)
Level 27 – see earlier items
Level 28 – +6 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +6 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 29 – +6 Healer’s Brooch {later purchase +6 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72)}
Level 30 – Retire

Have to ponder Luminary Ring...

My current character with feats and powers thru Epic levels:

Kitten's Combat Block

Female Longtoothed Shifter
Alignment: Good
Cleric 1 {Rawali (Melora) Goddess of Nature}

HIT POINTS
Hit Points: 22 / 22
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Bloodied: 11 (1/2 Hit Points)
Healing Surge Value: 5 (1/4 Hit Points)
Healing Surges / Day: 7 / 7
Second Wind 1/Encounter: [ ] (used)
Death Saving Throw Failures: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Death Saving Throw Conditions and Effects: +0

ATTACKS
Basic Melee Attack: +3 (+0, +1 STR, +2 Prof) melee 2d4+1 (+1 Str damage)
(Critical 8+1 damage)
Basic Ranged Attack: +3 (+0, +1 STR, +2 Prof) melee 1d6+1 (+1 Str damage)
(Critical 6+1 damage) (Range 10/20)

DEFENSES
Armor Class: 16 (6 Chainmail)
Fortitude: 11 (1 Str)
Reflex: 10 (0 Int)
Will: 17 (5 Wis, 2 Class)

ACTION POINTS
Action Points Earned: 1
Action Points Remaining: 1

[u]Conditions and Effects[/u]
???

Class Features
Healer’s Lore
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Turn Undead, or Melora’s Tide.

AT-WILL POWERS
Lance of Faith [always ready]
Sacred Flames [always ready]
((Favorite attack: +5 vs. Ref. 1d6+5 radiant damage and grants ally 2 temp. hp or a saving throw.))

ENCOUNTER POWERS
Longtooth Shifting: [ ] (used)
Healing Word: [ ] [ ] (used)
Channel Divinity: [ ] (used)
Divine Glow: [ ] (used)

DAILY POWERS
Beacon of Hope: [ ] (used)

MAGIC ITEM POWERS Heroic Level
Personal Magic Item Daily Power Uses [ ] (used)
Magic item powers: none

STATS
STR 13 (+1) {1 pt.}; DEX 08 (-1) {0 pts.}; WIS 20 (+5) {16 pts.}
CON 10 (+0) {0 pts.}; INT 10 (+0) {0 pts.}; CHA 14 (+2) {5 pts.}

Initiative: -1 ; Speed (Land): 5 squares (6 -1 ACP)
Passive Insight: 20 ; Passive Perception: 15
Vision: low light ; size medium

Skills *Trained
(-1 acp) (racial +2 Athletics and Endurance) (regional +1 History and Dungeoneering)
Acrobatics: -2 ; Arcana: +0 ; Athletics: +2 ; Bluff: +2 ; Diplomacy: +2 ;
Dungeoneering: +6 ; Endurance: +2 ; Heal*: +10 ; History*: +6 ;
Insight*: +10 ; Intimidate: +2 ; Nature: +5 ; Perception: +5 ;
Religion*: +5 ; Stealth: -2 ; Streetwise: +2 ; Thievery: -2
Language: Common

Feats
Rawali's Renewal {Melora’s Tide} ; Ritual Caster {from Class}

Equipment
Shiny new iron Chainmail 40 gp, 40 lbs
2 Oak Javelins with bronze and iron point 10 gp, 4 lbs
Greatclub 1 gp, 10 lbs
Tan leather boots, woolen skirt, leather belt with leaves painted on it, a tan flax blouse, and a warm woolen black and white checked cloak.

Brown leather Backpack 2 gp 2 lbs

*Bedroll 1 sp 5 lbs (tied to bottom)
*Flint and Steel 1 gp
*Trail Rations (14 days) 7 gp 14 lbs
*Hempen Rope (100') 2 gp 20 lbs
*Climber's kit 2 gp 11 lbs
*Lantern 7 gp 2 lbs
*5 pints of oil 5 sp 5 lbs
*12 Rat traps 12 sp 3 lbs
*Ritual Book: Gentle Repose, Banish Vermin (Dr #366)

Belt Pouch 1 gp .5 lbs

*Mystic Salves: 10 units
*Rare Herbs: 10 units

Gold and Treasure
5 GP 2 SP

Fluff

Background
Background Technical Choice

Kitten is an orphan, and she is not quite sure of heritage.
She is a cat-like Longtooth shifter which might be somewhat rare.

From Scales of War:
Seeker for the Lost Clan

I’m an ordinary sort, but those I’m seeking are extraordinary. Quite extraordinary indeed.

Some say you are the last of your breed, but you don’t think so. Although your family is gone for good, you’ve been tracking down rumors of another branch of your ancestry. They’re out there somewhere, and you want desperately to be reunited with them. What clues do you have that the lost clan exists? Who raised you, if not this lost clan? And on a fundamental level, why do you want to find them so intensely?

Benefit: You add History and Dungeoneering to your class skill list, and you gain a +1 bonus to History and Dungeoneering checks.
Good Background: Dwarf.

Kitten’s parents died in the great Forestside Fire of Physk fifteen years ago. Rumor suggests a careless shepherd fell asleep in a haystack while leaving his lantern untended in Gestrian’s Stables. A cat knocked over the lantern while chasing mice and set the barn on fire. The Forestside poorer section of the town was built of wood shanties; and the fire spread from one building to the next close building with little resistance. The wizard, Mortared along with his apprentices made a stand along Helm Street, knocking down buildings and lighting a second fire intended to burn all the fuel before the blazing inferno reached other sections of the city. The fire stopped at that line, but four year old Kitten will never forget that night, nor will many other peasants.

Kitten was taken to the local orphanage, where she learned her reading, writing, and arithmetic. In due time, she was adopted by an elderly farmer couple (Konath Man'Thom and his wife Eowyn) who never had children. In tragic form, she discovered when she arrived that the couple wanted a boy to help with the chores, not a girl! She was almost sent back to the orphanage, but the local healer (Taerin) needed a girl to gather herbs and wild flowers for her medicinal practice. After some debate, Kitten (as she had been nicknamed by the orphanage children) stayed in the small farming hamlet of Little Valley (outside of Physk) helping Tarshesa, the Farmer couple, and trapper Nio.

Over the years, Kitten listened and learned from this Taerin Man'Yaren, an elder halfling priest of Rawali who instilled in her the fundamental ways. As time went on, Taerin began to sense that Kitten truly had Rawali's blessing as was destined for big things. The herbalist/healer kept her tongue, carefully and slowly training Kitten. At times the two would return to the city of Physk to sell the herbs gathered deep in the forests and swamps surrounding Little Valley. Konath often hitched up his horses to pull loads of produce into the bustling city. While there, Kitten found work as a “Ratter”. So many of the city folks had a problem with rats but no common sense about how to deal with it, but Kitten has plenty of knowledge about such silly beasts -- plus a special ritual!

When she became of age, Kitten studied the advanced ways of Rawali under Tarshesa’s tutelage. Konath sensing that Kitten would travel someday soon, began teaching her how to handle a javelin and wear proper armor.

In payment and respect for Tarshesa, Kitten has promised to travel to the city of Verthen with a promissory note for the rare and mystic herbs: Micuusa and Gravebee. Tarshesa had been given that note years ago by the great herbalist, Iytru. Kitten has been instructed to find Iytru, collect the herbs to return them to Tarshesa, and if possible seek tutelage under Iytru (repaying the great herbalist with quests if necessary). Kitten's inquires around Physk indicated that Iytru was in Verthen 5 years ago researching a powerful dragon bane to help protect the city.

The sailing was fun, with the ship bouncing to and fro. The captain even paid her money to rid the ship of rats!!

Appearance and Personality
Kitten is a fun loving girl. For a Longtoothed shifter, she has a cute catfolk look about her. Her fluffy long blond hair and tiger stripped furry tail give a distinct appearance. Her eyes are jade with a twinkle in them.

Secrets
Kitten is distantly related to a Ferus Man'Grellyn, a sergeant of the guard in the city of Physk. He has no idea that she survived the great forestside fire.

Holy Healer’s Weapon adds an enhancement bonus to the healing which is the same as the enhancement bonus added by the Healer’s Brooch so these two enhancement bonuses will not stack.

Mace of Healing is an Item bonus so it will stack with Healer’s Brooch.

Medic’s Weapon is a separate once or twice an encounter enhancement bonus. It can be used with other things because it creates a separate effect. However, nothing would add to it.

Symbol of Divine Reach is your best choice for a Holy Symbol. It does not offer healing.

Cord of Divine Favor is your best choice for the waist item. It heals yourself as you heal others.

Boots of the Fencing Master is your best choice for the feet item. It helps keep you out of trouble.

Bracers of Mental Might is your best choice for the arm item. It does not add healing except for allowing one STR based clerical power per encounter.

Imposter’s Armor is your best choice for armor because of its low level and that fact that your daily magic item uses are already expended elsewhere.

Crown of Leaves combines with your high Wisdom to have good untrained Nature and Insight checks. Having a Cap of Water breathing in your Handy Haversack is good idea.

Wondrous items that heal usually can be used by anybody therefore they should not be carried by the Healer of the party since he/she could be unable to act. The same applies to the Healer’s Sash.

Ring of Feather Fall is your best choice for one of your rings since it can protect you from a failed acrobatics or athletics roll. Ring of Tenacious Will is your best choice to keep you from dying.

The Battle Standard of Healing requires a standard action to place. Is it better than having a Symbol of Divine Reach and using Sacred Flames on the first round? Maybe, maybe not?

So, at 15th level, one uses Healing Word and Heals one ally for Healing Surge + Wis + 3d6 normally plus +3 +3 +1d6 for the healing items. A typical ally at this level has about 100 hp. So the healing would do about 25 plus 7 Wis bonus (if one started with max wisdom) plus 10.5 plus 6 plus 3.5 for a total of 52 hp or the equivalent of two healing surges. Of this only 9.5 hp is due to the healing items.

The character could have purchased things like Cloak of Distortion and Shield of Deflection making the Cleric very difficult to damage with ranged attacks. So, each player will have to consider the costs of maximizing healing before proceeding.

Level 3 – Battle Standard of Healing (Adventurer’s Vault p. 180) {and later purchase Floating Lantern (AV p. 171)}
Level 4 – +1 Healer’s Brooch (Adventurer’s Vault p. 152) {later purchase +1 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72) and Everlasting Rations}
Level 6 – +2 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46) {later purchase Bracers of Mental Might (AV p. 115)}
Level 8 - +2 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV 88) {later purchase +2 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 9 – +2 Healer’s Brooch (Adventurer’s Vault p. 152) {later purchase +2 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72)}
Level 13 – +3 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {and later purchase Cord of Divine Favor (AV p. 165) and +3 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 14 – +3 Healer’s Brooch (AV p. 152) {later purchase +3 Medic’s Weapon (AV p. 72) and Ring of Feather Fall (AV p. 158)}
Level 18 – +4 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +4 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 21 – +5 Imposter’s Armor (AV p. 46) {later purchase Ring of Tenacious Will (AV p. 161)}
Level 22 – Gloves of the Healer (AV p. 135) {later purchase Ioun Stone of Perfect Languages (AV 143)}
Level 23 – +5 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +5 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 28 – +6 Symbol of Divine Reach (AV p. 88) {later purchase +6 Mace of Healing (AV p. 72)}
Level 30 – Retire

Future feats

Level Two – Student of Battle
Level Four Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level Six Defensive Mobility
Level Eight – Acolyte Power (swap level two cleric utility for Aid the Injured)
Level Ten – Toughness
Level Eleven – Combat Anticipation
Level Twelve – Improved Second Wind
Level Fourteen – Fleet Footed
Level Sixteen – Psychic Lock
Level Eighteen – Skill Training (any)
Level Twenty – Skill Training (Acrobatics)
Level Twenty one – Unfettered Stride
Level Twenty one – retrain Skill training (any) into Epic Resurgence
Level Twenty two – Font of Radiance
Level Twenty four – Triumphant Attack
Level Twenty six – Anything
Level Twenty eight – Anything
Level Thirty - RETIRE

Future powers

{Consider keeping one Str based attack as well to use with Bracers of Mental Might}
Utility level 2 Cure Light Wounds (eventually switch out for warlord encounter power healing Aid the Injured)
Encounter level 3 Command
Daily level 5 Consecrated Ground
Utility level 6 Bastion of Health (encounter power healing)
Encounter level 7 Searing Light (blinded targets take -5 to hit and grant combat advantage)
Daily level 9 Astral Defenders (Use as theme with Knights of Glory)
Utility level 10 Mass Cure Light Wounds
Paragon Path Radiant Servant
Encounter level 13 Mantle of Glory
Daily level 15 Purifying Fire
Utility level 16 Astral Shield (because it is an encounter power)
Encounter level 17 Enthrall
Daily level 19 Knight of Glory
Epic Destiny Demigod
Utility level 22 Clarion Call of the Astral Sea
Encounter level 23 Healing Torch
Daily level 25 Sacred Word
Encounter level 27 Sunburst
Daily level 29 Astral Storm

Hmm, after a closer look at the wording on the two items, I'm inclined to agree with you that the Holy Healer's Weapon and Healer's Brooch do not stack.
Nope, not by RAW. It requires a cleric class feature to use it. It is not, however, a cleric power. It is a feat power.

Class Features count as class feature powers count as powers just like class attack powers count.

A Cleric or Paladins' CHANNEL DIVINITY ability is a power, and the channel divinity description specifically says (check the compendium) that feats open up new uses for the power. You are still limited to one use of the Channel Divinity power per encounter.

The wording in the feat that requires you to have the feat prevents Half-Elves or multi-classers from utilizing it.
Class Features count as class feature powers count as powers just like class attack powers count.

A Cleric or Paladins' CHANNEL DIVINITY ability is a power, and the channel divinity description specifically says (check the compendium) that feats open up new uses for the power. You are still limited to one use of the Channel Divinity power per encounter.

The wording in the feat that requires you to have the feat prevents Half-Elves or multi-classers from utilizing it.

Channel Divinity is a class feature that allows you to use one of two encounter powers that you possess once per encounter. The feats give you an extra encounter power, but the class feature still limits use to once per encounter total.
@Douglas Zuver: I disagree about Holy Healer's Weapon and Healer's Brooch. They do not give enhancement bonuses, they simply add a value equivalent to the enhancement bonus of the item to the amount healed. The value is not typed, nor does it even seem to be a bonus (it isn't listed as such.) Contrast it with Mace of Healing, which adds an item bonus equivalent to the enhancement bonus of the item.
A cleric would like to have the Mace of Healing in their strong hand.

And the Medic's Weapon (sickle) combined with a healing channel divinity is very good combo for the weak hand which will likely also have a light shield on it.

With so many other items to buy, having Holy Healer's weapon is an additional expense and forces you to use up minor action changing weapons.

However, if you really want all three weapons then let us look at the wording:

Holy Healer's Weapon
Property: Add this weapon's enhancement bonus to the amount healed by your healing word.

Now this seems very clear to me.
If you are adding an enhancement bonus directly to the healing then it must be an enhancement bonus.

Healer's Brooch
Property: "...add the brooch's enhancement bonus to the hit points gained."

The same thing would apply. Since both are adding the same enhancement bonus they would not stack with each other.

Contrast this to Fireflower Pendant which would be very bad to be considered an enhancement bonus:
Fireflower Pendant
Property: "...the first attack you make before the end of your next turn deals extra damage equal to the pendant's enhancement bonus."

Notice the much different wording "extra damage equal to" ; this is because if it was an enhancement bonus then it would not stack with your weapon/implement enhancement bonus. The fact that the wording is changed here means that the designer felt that there was an enhancement bonus with the Healer's Brooch. Those two are on the same page.

Interestingly enough none of this is important, the Mace of Healing is better than the Holy Healer's Weapon since it applies to all healing, so you want the Mace of Healing in your strong hand.

Now look in the Adventurer's Vault and the Player's Handbook under Simple Melee weapons. The Holy Healer's Weapon must be a mace or a staff. The Mace of healing must be a mace.

I don't see any simple maces or staffs that can be held in the off hand???

The medic's weapon can be any kind, so it could be a Sickle or a Dagger which could be held in the off hand.

I added Adept Power to my feats and revised some power choices:
I also read the CA thread about starting with an ability score of 20 and decided that I would risk the benefits of max Wisdom.
Still have not decided about Luminary Ring...

Kitten's Combat Block

Female Longtoothed Shifter
Alignment: Good
Cleric 1 {Rawali (Melora) Goddess of Nature}

HIT POINTS
Hit Points: 22 / 22
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Bloodied: 11 (1/2 Hit Points)
Healing Surge Value: 5 (1/4 Hit Points)
Healing Surges / Day: 7 / 7
Second Wind 1/Encounter: [ ] (used)
Death Saving Throw Failures: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Death Saving Throw Conditions and Effects: +0

ATTACKS
Basic Melee Attack: +3 (+0, +1 STR, +2 Prof) melee 2d4+1 (+1 Str damage)
(Critical 8+1 damage)
Basic Ranged Attack: +3 (+0, +1 STR, +2 Prof) melee 1d6+1 (+1 Str damage)
(Critical 6+1 damage) (Range 10/20)

DEFENSES
Armor Class: 16 (6 Chainmail)
Fortitude: 11 (1 Str)
Reflex: 10 (0 Int)
Will: 17 (5 Wis, 2 Class)

ACTION POINTS
Action Points Earned: 1
Action Points Remaining: 1

[u]Conditions and Effects[/u]
???

Class Features
Healer’s Lore
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Turn Undead, or Melora’s Tide.

AT-WILL POWERS
Lance of Faith [always ready]
Sacred Flames [always ready]
((Favorite attack: +5 vs. Ref. 1d6+5 radiant damage and grants ally 2 temp. hp or a saving throw.))

ENCOUNTER POWERS
Longtooth Shifting: [ ] (used)
Healing Word: [ ] [ ] (used)
Channel Divinity: [ ] (used)
Divine Glow: [ ] (used)

DAILY POWERS
Beacon of Hope: [ ] (used)

MAGIC ITEM POWERS Heroic Level
Personal Magic Item Daily Power Uses [ ] (used)
Magic item powers: none

STATS
STR 13 (+1) {1 pt.}; DEX 08 (-1) {0 pts.}; WIS 20 (+5) {16 pts.}
CON 10 (+0) {0 pts.}; INT 10 (+0) {0 pts.}; CHA 14 (+2) {5 pts.}

Initiative: -1 ; Speed (Land): 5 squares (6 -1 ACP)
Passive Insight: 20 ; Passive Perception: 15
Vision: low light ; size medium

Skills *Trained
(-1 acp) (racial +2 Athletics and Endurance) (regional +1 History and Dungeoneering)
Acrobatics: -2 ; Arcana: +0 ; Athletics: +2 ; Bluff: +2 ; Diplomacy: +2 ;
Dungeoneering: +6 ; Endurance: +2 ; Heal*: +10 ; History*: +6 ;
Insight*: +10 ; Intimidate: +2 ; Nature: +5 ; Perception: +5 ;
Religion*: +5 ; Stealth: -2 ; Streetwise: +2 ; Thievery: -2
Language: Common

Feats
Rawali's Renewal {Melora’s Tide} ; Ritual Caster {from Class}

Equipment
Shiny new iron Chainmail 40 gp, 40 lbs
2 Oak Javelins with bronze and iron point 10 gp, 4 lbs
Greatclub 1 gp, 10 lbs
Tan leather boots, woolen skirt, leather belt with leaves painted on it, a tan flax blouse, and a warm woolen black and white checked cloak.

Brown leather Backpack 2 gp 2 lbs

*Bedroll 1 sp 5 lbs (tied to bottom)
*Flint and Steel 1 gp
*Trail Rations (14 days) 7 gp 14 lbs
*Hempen Rope (100') 2 gp 20 lbs
*Climber's kit 2 gp 11 lbs
*Lantern 7 gp 2 lbs
*5 pints of oil 5 sp 5 lbs
*12 Rat traps 12 sp 3 lbs
*Ritual Book: Gentle Repose, Banish Vermin (Dr #366)

Belt Pouch 1 gp .5 lbs

*Mystic Salves: 10 units
*Rare Herbs: 10 units

Gold and Treasure
5 GP 2 SP

Fluff

Background
Background Technical Choice

Kitten is an orphan, and she is not quite sure of heritage.
She is a cat-like Longtooth shifter which might be somewhat rare.

From Scales of War:
Seeker for the Lost Clan

I’m an ordinary sort, but those I’m seeking are extraordinary. Quite extraordinary indeed.

Some say you are the last of your breed, but you don’t think so. Although your family is gone for good, you’ve been tracking down rumors of another branch of your ancestry. They’re out there somewhere, and you want desperately to be reunited with them. What clues do you have that the lost clan exists? Who raised you, if not this lost clan? And on a fundamental level, why do you want to find them so intensely?

Benefit: You add History and Dungeoneering to your class skill list, and you gain a +1 bonus to History and Dungeoneering checks.
Good Background: Dwarf.

Kitten’s parents died in the great Forestside Fire of Physk fifteen years ago. Rumor suggests a careless shepherd fell asleep in a haystack while leaving his lantern untended in Gestrian’s Stables. A cat knocked over the lantern while chasing mice and set the barn on fire. The Forestside poorer section of the town was built of wood shanties; and the fire spread from one building to the next close building with little resistance. The wizard, Mortared along with his apprentices made a stand along Helm Street, knocking down buildings and lighting a second fire intended to burn all the fuel before the blazing inferno reached other sections of the city. The fire stopped at that line, but four year old Kitten will never forget that night, nor will many other peasants.

Kitten was taken to the local orphanage, where she learned her reading, writing, and arithmetic. In due time, she was adopted by an elderly farmer couple (Konath Man'Thom and his wife Eowyn) who never had children. In tragic form, she discovered when she arrived that the couple wanted a boy to help with the chores, not a girl! She was almost sent back to the orphanage, but the local healer (Taerin) needed a girl to gather herbs and wild flowers for her medicinal practice. After some debate, Kitten (as she had been nicknamed by the orphanage children) stayed in the small farming hamlet of Little Valley (outside of Physk) helping Tarshesa, the Farmer couple, and trapper Nio.

Over the years, Kitten listened and learned from this Taerin Man'Yaren, an elder halfling priest of Rawali who instilled in her the fundamental ways. As time went on, Taerin began to sense that Kitten truly had Rawali's blessing as was destined for big things. The herbalist/healer kept her tongue, carefully and slowly training Kitten. At times the two would return to the city of Physk to sell the herbs gathered deep in the forests and swamps surrounding Little Valley. Konath often hitched up his horses to pull loads of produce into the bustling city. While there, Kitten found work as a “Ratter”. So many of the city folks had a problem with rats but no common sense about how to deal with it, but Kitten has plenty of knowledge about such silly beasts -- plus a special ritual!

When she became of age, Kitten studied the advanced ways of Rawali under Tarshesa’s tutelage. Konath sensing that Kitten would travel someday soon, began teaching her how to handle a javelin and wear proper armor.

In payment and respect for Tarshesa, Kitten has promised to travel to the city of Verthen with a promissory note for the rare and mystic herbs: Micuusa and Gravebee. Tarshesa had been given that note years ago by the great herbalist, Iytru. Kitten has been instructed to find Iytru, collect the herbs to return them to Tarshesa, and if possible seek tutelage under Iytru (repaying the great herbalist with quests if necessary). Kitten's inquires around Physk indicated that Iytru was in Verthen 5 years ago researching a powerful dragon bane to help protect the city.

The sailing was fun, with the ship bouncing to and fro. The captain even paid her money to rid the ship of rats!!

Appearance and Personality
Kitten is a fun loving girl. For a Longtoothed shifter, she has a cute catfolk look about her. Her fluffy long blond hair and tiger stripped furry tail give a distinct appearance. Her eyes are jade with a twinkle in them.

Secrets
Kitten is distantly related to a Ferus Man'Grellyn, a sergeant of the guard in the city of Physk. He has no idea that she survived the great forestside fire.

Holy Healer’s Weapon adds an enhancement bonus to the healing which is the same as the enhancement bonus added by the Healer’s Brooch so these two enhancement bonuses will not stack.

Mace of Healing is an Item bonus so it will stack with Healer’s Brooch.

Level 30 – Retire

Future feats

Level Two – Student of Battle
Level Four Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level Six Defensive Mobility
Level Eight – Acolyte Power
Level Ten – Adept Power
Level Eleven – Combat Anticipation
Level Twelve – Improved Second Wind
Level Fourteen – Fleet Footed
Level Sixteen – Psychic Lock
Level Eighteen – Skill Training (any)
Level Twenty – Skill Training (Acrobatics)
Level Twenty one – Unfettered Stride
Level Twenty one – retrain Skill training (any) into Epic Resurgence
Level Twenty two – Font of Radiance
Level Twenty two – retrain Improved Second Wind for Triumphant Attack
Level Twenty four – Anything
Level Twenty five – retrain Adept Power for Anything
Level Twenty six – Anything
Level Twenty eight – Anything
Level Thirty - RETIRE

Future powers

{Consider keeping one Str based attack as well to use with Bracers of Mental Might}
Utility level 2 Cure Light Wounds (eventually switch out for warlord encounter power healing Aid the Injured)
Encounter level 3 Command
Daily level 5 Consecrated Ground
Utility level 6 Bastion of Health (encounter power healing)
Encounter level 7 Searing Light (blinded targets take -5 to hit and grant combat advantage)
Level 8 take the feat Acolyte Power and swap cleric utility 2 for warlord utility 2 Aid the Injuried.
Daily level 9 Astral Defenders
Utility level 10 Mass Cure Light Wounds
Level 10 take the feat Adept Power and swap cleric daily 9 for warlord daily 5 Stand the fallen.
Paragon Path Radiant Servant
Encounter level 13 Mantle of Glory
Daily level 15 Purifying Fire {give up Beacon of Hope}
Utility level 16 Warlord utility Warlord’s Banner and regain clerical Divine Aid
Encounter level 17 Enthrall
Daily level 19 Indomitable Spirit {give up Consecrated Ground.}
Epic Destiny Demigod
Utility level 22 Clarion Call of the Astral Sea
Encounter level 23 Healing Torch
Daily level 25 Sacred Word {retrain Adept Power}
Encounter level 27 Sunburst
Daily level 29 Astral Storm

Channel Divinity is a class feature that allows you to use one of two encounter powers that you possess once per encounter. The feats give you an extra encounter power, but the class feature still limits use to once per encounter total.

CHANNEL DIVINITY
Once per encounter you can invoke divine power, filling yourself with the might of your patron deity. With the divine might you invoke you can wield special powers. You can also learn other uses for this feature;for instance, the divinity feats in Chapter 6 grant characters with access to the Channel Divinity class feature the ability to use additional special powers.

Regardless of how many different uses for Channel Divinity you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter. The special ability or power you invoke works just like your other powers.
CHANNEL DIVINITY
Once per encounter you can invoke divine power, filling yourself with the might of your patron deity. With the divine might you invoke you can wield special powers. You can also learn other uses for this feature;for instance, the divinity feats in Chapter 6 grant characters with access to the Channel Divinity class feature the ability to use additional special powers.

Regardless of how many different uses for Channel Divinity you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter. The special ability or power you invoke works just like your other powers.

...this is exactly what I said. You have powers granted by Channel Divinity, and other powers from feats, but Channel Divinity is itself not a power.
...this is exactly what I said. You have powers granted by Channel Divinity, and other powers from feats, but Channel Divinity is itself not a power.

Class Features are considered powers, I was penalized when I took my herald level exam for RPGA when I did not include a class feature power as one of a classes powers at 1st level. I even submitted a complaint about the question cause I thought I was right but was told otherwise. Lay on Hands, Channel Dinvity, Cantrips... are all considered Powers for their respective classes even though they are listed as being Class Features.

Their is as a line in the PHB where it defines what the various classes powers are called. The compendium doesnt include this bit of test but you should be able to find it in the PHB itself. its one of the first things said under the Class Features heading stating that Cleric/Wizard/Fighter/etc. powers are called Prayers/Spells/Exploits/etc.. That line being one of the first things under class features effectively defined all the class features abilities afterwords as powers. When this was pointed out to me when I complained about the question I was upset (at getting the answer wrong) and that it (the question and the PHB) did not seem to be more explicite.

As a result Channel Divinity and Cantrips are a power with multiple uses. The Divinity Feats opens up new uses for the Channel Divinity power.

Had I not been shot down when I complained about the question on the Herald level exam I would likely be agreeing with you.
Class Features are considered powers, I was penalized when I took my herald level exam for RPGA when I did not include a class feature power as one of a classes powers at 1st level. I even submitted a complaint about the question cause I thought I was right but was told otherwise. Lay on Hands, Channel Dinvity, Cantrips... are all considered Powers for their respective classes even though they are listed as being Class Features.

Their is as a line in the PHB where it defines what the various classes powers are called. The compendium doesnt include this bit of test but you should be able to find it in the PHB itself. its one of the first things said under the Class Features heading stating that Cleric/Wizard/Fighter/etc. powers are called Prayers/Spells/Exploits/etc.. That line being one of the first things under class features effectively defined all the class features abilities afterwords as powers. When this was pointed out to me when I complained about the question I was upset (at getting the answer wrong) and that it (the question and the PHB) did not seem to be more explicite.

As a result Channel Divinity and Cantrips are a power with multiple uses. The Divinity Feats opens up new uses for the Channel Divinity power.

Had I not been shot down when I complained about the question on the Herald level exam I would likely be agreeing with you.

You're not clear here. Channel Divinity is a class feature. Divine Fortune/Mettle/Strength and Turn Undead are powers. Channel Divinity grants you these powers, but is not itself a power. Divinity feats grant you powers, but they are still limited by the class feature, Channel Divinity.

No.
But some such as myself have posted very good reasons in other threads why it applies to the cleric class feature channel divinity including any feats such as Raven Queen's Blessing.

{It can be proved that Raven Queen's Blessing is a clerical class feature power and Healer's Lore applies to clerical powers.}

Also, some such as myself have posted very good reasons in other threads why it applies to regeneration once immediately when the regeneration is placed upon the target.

{Regeneration is a form of healing (PHB p. 293)}

Anyone interested can read what I said here: Link
Are there any better healing-oriented character designs?

Perhaps

Longtooth Shifter
Str 15+2 race (7 points) {+1 at 4th, 8th, etc}
Con 13 (3 points)
Dex 08
Int 10
Wis 16+2 race (9 points) {+1 at 4th, 8th, etc}
Cha 13 (3 points)

I think this is very versatile build that can choose between the Str and Wis clerical powers.
You could easily choose 18 Str and 17 Wis or Dex 10 and Int 08 by reversing some of the numbers.
Since so many Str based Clerical powers have healing attached to them, it is among the best healing characters available.

Obviously choose a channel divinity feat that helps you heal, pick up light shield and scale armor proficiency, multiclass into warlord as desired, choose appropriate healing magic items, ect…

Also, when the PHB 2 comes out, multiclassing into Bard should be worthwhile...
You're not clear here. Channel Divinity is a class feature. Divine Fortune/Mettle/Strength and Turn Undead are powers. Channel Divinity grants you these powers, but is not itself a power. Divinity feats grant you powers, but they are still limited by the class feature, Channel Divinity.

Please Re-Read pg 62 of the PHB under Cleric Powers, Class Features.

"The Cleric has two class features the work like powers: Channel Divinity and Healing Word. The Channel Divinity class feature encompasses multiple powers, two of which (Divine Fortune and Turn Undead) are presented below."

This clearly states that Channel Divinity IS the power with multiple methods of use. Channel Divinity is invoking the power of your Diety. The Divinity Feat powers are invoking the power of your Diety and trace back to Channel Divinity as its source (a class feature that works like a power, Same as Healing Word-a feature that works like a power, gaining the Healing Lore bonus healing).

Yes, Blessing of the Raven Queen/Silvanus have 'Feat Power' above the description of the power, but Healing Word has Cleric Feature above the description. Invoking of Channel Divinity is a Power (by way of one its sub-power uses). Divinity Feats open up new sub-power uses but answer to Channel Divinity as the main power. Additional verbage was nessisary to prevent people from thinking they could use each of the sub-powers as individual encounter powers instead of dependents to the primary Channel Divinity power.
Check out the Healer's Sash!!!

This is a great level 11 waist slot item.

It starts out with 1 charge and can hold up to 5 charges.

Standard Action: expend a healing surge (gain no healing) and add 1 charge - any party member can do this, ideally the beefiest ones such as the Paladin or Warden. This can be done during a short rest, in between encounters, or at the beginning of an adventure.

Minor Action (Encounter): Use up a charge on the sash and give an ally within 5 squares a surge+1d6 of healing - they do NOT have to use a surge for this. Essentially this is one additional heal per battle without the target needing to spend a surge. This functions the same way as a healing word, but it's "free healing".
I know there hasn't been much discussion in this thread for a while...but it has become applicable to my current party.

4 players: Rogue, Pally, Fighter, and Cleric (me).

While pally has some healing, we have no other leader class.

Starting at level 16, we soon discovered that party of 4 vs. 17th level encounter nearly TPK'd.

Here is my revised Cleric healing build:
Eben, level 16
Deva, Cleric, Radiant Servant

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 12, Int 11, Wis 22, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Reflex: 23 Will: 30
HP: 108 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +15, Insight +19, Heal +21, History +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +8, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +7, Intimidate +11, Nature +14, Perception +14, Stealth +8, Streetwise +11, Thievery +8, Athletics +11

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Intuition
Level 2: Toughness
Level 4: Combat Medic
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Mace)
Level 11: Heavenly Heritage
Level 12: Paragon Defenses
Level 14: Focused Expertise (Morningstar)
Level 16: Ascendant Lineage

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric daily 15: Purifying Fire (replaces Spiritual Weapon)
Cleric daily 5: Spiritual Weapon
Cleric daily 9: Blade Barrier
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric encounter 13: Mantle of Glory (replaces Daunting Light)
Cleric encounter 3: Daunting Light
Cleric encounter 7: Strengthen the Faithful
Cleric utility 10: Mass Cure Light Wounds
Cleric utility 16: Hallowed Ground
Cleric utility 2: Shield of Faith
Cleric utility 6: Divine Vigor

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Healer's Morningstar +4, Stone of Avandra +3, Healer's Sash (paragon tier), Imposter's Chainmail +4, Healer's Brooch +3
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Delay Affliction, Cure Disease, Remove Affliction, Raise Dead, Speak with Dead, Hand of Fate
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

I saw some concerns about the Brooch and Stone stacking, but wondered if there was ever a CS statement about non-capped, unnamed bonuses in this situation.

comments welcome, however: race won't be changed, and in the second encounter we needed far less healing due to tactic and options.
Well that sucks...
I thought I was onto something there...

Either way,
taking back that bit about Lay on Hands,
how can you improve upon the healing of
a low level Cleric with Student of Battle?

Lay on of Hands is a class feature not an At-Will Power
Sign In to post comments