Darth Maul- The Non-Dagger Brutal Rogue

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, here is (what I hope) the definitive, non Dagger, Brutal Rogue Build. It utilizes either the Drow or Bugbear (personal Choice, I'm choosing Drow simply because of the ease of getting CA and also the fact that it is more suppported than bugbear), and the Double Sword (preferably a reckless one). His PP is Kensai and his epic is Demigod.

*Note about race* As Tal'eth pointed out to me, Genasi also make a good race. While they lack the +2 to dex, they have a +2 to strength, and there is a Paragon Level feat called Shocking Flame that can add as much as +8 damage per hit at epic.

This build utilizes the PHB, FRPG, and AV (The Dragon "Children of Drow" article is good, but optional).

Level One

Darth Maul: Level 1 Drow Brutal Scoundrel
Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 18 (16+2)
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 10 (8+2)

Feat: Weapon Prof(Double Sword)

At Wills: Piercing Strike
Riposte Strike

Encounter: Torturous Strike

Daily: Blinding Barrage

At Level 1, Darth Maul plays much like any other rogue, using piercing strike mostly, hitting at +9 with CA vs Reflex, dealing 1d8+7+2d6 Damage, dealing average 18.5 dmg.

Levelling to 10

Level 2:
Feat: Student of the Sword
Level 2 Util: Whatever you really want, I'm going with Great Leap due to the fact that jumping over people at later levels is a great way of not provoking OAs. Nifty trick for Level 2 is to use the +1 to hit/mark on a riposte strike. If you hit, he either attacks you and provokes a Riposte Strike, or doesn't and provokes an OA.

Level 3:
Encounter: Topple Over (An almost auto hit attack that knocks a target prone? Yes please.

Level 4 (Big Level):
+1 to Str, +1 to Dex
Feat: Novice Power
Switch out Topple Over to Rain of Blows. (You now will have the highest damaging attack for all of heroic tier. This ability is one of the best in the game: you WILL keep it to 30. Properly buffed, these 4 attacks will be SCARY. AND AN ENCOUNTER? Teh sex.)

Level 5:
Daily: Clever Riposte

Level 6:
Feat: Nimble Blade
Util: Chameleon

Level 7:
Imperiling Strike (Cloud of Steel is also an excellent ability, but IS allows you to setup those big bad dailies, and after level 11, drawing a dagger interrupts your +1/+4 bonuses at level 16)

Level 8:
+1 to Strength, +1 to Dex
Feat: Weapon Focus (Double Sword)

Level 9:
Daily: Knockout (Best Choice at this level: Crimson Edge is decent, but knocking someone unconcious is tons better than ongoing damage.)

Level 10:
Util: Close Quarters or Shadow Stride. Both are great.
Feat: Backstabber

Level 11

Ahh.... Level 11. Time for some Kensei fun.
Darth Maul: Level 11 Drow Brutal Scoundrel/Kensei
Stats:
Str: 19
Dex: 21
Con: 13
Int: 11
Wis: 13
Cha: 11

Feats: Weapon Prof(Double Sword), Student of the Sword, Novice Power, Nimble Blade, Weapon Focus (Double Sword) Backstabber, Merciless Killer

Riposte Strike

Encounter: Torturous Strike, Rain of Blows, Imperiling Strike, Masterstroke
Util: Great Leap, Chameleon, Close Quarters
Daily: Blinding Barrage, Clever Riposte, Knockout

Without magic weapons, Piercing strike is made at +14 (+17 with CA) vs. REF and deals 1d8+5+2(+3d8+4 with CA).
Rain of Blows is at 4 attacks +16 with CA, dealing 1d8+4+2 (+3d8+4 with CA one Attack)

Levelling to 20

Level 12:
Util: Ultimate Parry
Feat: Fleet Footed (Wintertouched if you plan on taking the Frost weapon combo)

Level 13:
Replace Torturous Strike with Unbalancing Strike

Level 14:
+1 to Str/Dex
Feat: Blood Thirst (or Lloth's meat, take which one you want)/Lasting Frost

Level 15:
Replace Blinding Barrage with Slaying Strike

Level 16: Sweet, +4 damage to all attacks with my double sword
Another very close level, but I'm choosing Hide in Plain Sight over Leaping Dodge because it is so useful. Take either, but I think HiPS has the edge.
Util Power: Hide in Plain Sight
Feat: Heavy Blade Oppurtunity

Level 17:
Replace: Unbalancing Strike with Dragon Tail Strike

Level 18:
+1 Dex/Str
Feat: Danger Sense (or Fleet Footed if you decide to go Lasting Frost/Wintertouched)

Level 19:
Replace Clever Riposte with Snake's Retreat

Level 20:
Daily: Weaponsoul Dance
Feat: Agile Athlete (or Danger Sense if you go Frost Route)

Level 21

Demigod is here.

Darth Maul: Level 21 Drow Brutal Scoundrel/Kensei/Demigod
Stats:
Str: 24 (with Demigod Boost)
Dex: 26 (with Demigod Boost)
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 12

Feats: Weapon Prof(Double Sword), Student of the Sword, Novice Power, Nimble Blade, Weapon Focus (Double Sword), Backstabber, Blood Thirst(or Lloth's meat), Fleet Footed, Merciless Killer, Heavy Blade Oppurtunity, Danger Sense, Agile Athlete, Light Blade Mastery

Riposte Strike

Encounter: Rain of Blows, Imperiling Strike, Masterstroke, Dragon Tail Strike
Util: Great Leap, Chameleon, Close Quarters, Ultimate Parry, Hide in Plain Sight
Daily: Knockout, Slaying Strike, Snake's Retreat, Weaponsoul Dance

Without magic weapons, Piercing strike is made at +22 (+25 with CA) vs. REF and deals 2d8+7+3+4(+5d8+6 with CA)(+7 when the target is bloodied).
Without Magic, Rain of Blows is at 4 attacks +24 with CA, dealing 1d8+7+3+4 (+7 when bloodied with CA)(+5d8+6 with CA one Attack).
Imperiling strike is imposing a -6 AC when it hits.

Levelling to 29

Level 22:
Util: Cloud Jump (This power allows you to get virtually anywhere on the battlefield once per encounter. Bounds and Leaps above any other rogue util at level 22)
Feat: Epic Resurgence

level 23:
Replace Dragon Tail Strike with Knaves Gambit

Level 24:
Feat: Adept Power
gain Divine Recovery
+1 to str/dex

Level 25:
Replace Slaying Strike with Reapers Stance

Level 26:
Util: Divine Regeneration
Feat: Unfettered Stride

Level 27:
Replace Knave's Gambit with Hurricane of Blood (A ridiculous power: an near-auto 5[w] hit? yes please)

Level 28:
+1 to Str/Dex
Feat: Blind Fight

Level 29:
Ahh, you've reached it: Assassin's Point, the highest damaging ability you get. It's bassically a 17d8 power for you. Ouch.
Replace Snakes Retreat with Assassin's Point

Final Stats

The epitome of your career. Now you get Divine Miracle (and so you will replace Epic Resurgence).
Darth Maul: Level 21 Drow Brutal Scoundrel/Kensei/Demigod
Stats:
Str: 26 (with Demigod Boost)
Dex: 28 (with Demigod Boost)
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 12

Feats: Weapon Prof(Double Sword), Student of the Sword, Novice Power, Nimble Blade, Weapon Focus (Double Sword), Backstabber, Blood Thirst(or Lloth's Meat), Fleet Footed, Merciless Killer, Heavvy Blade Oppurtunity, Danger Sense, Agile Athlete, Light Blade Mastery, Adept Power, Unfettered Stride, Blind Fight, Silent Stride

Riposte Strike

Encounter: Rain of Blows, Imperiling Strike, Masterstroke, Hurricane of Blood
Util: Great Leap, Chameleon, Close Quarters, Ultimate Parry, Hide in Plain Sight, Cloud Jump, Divine Regeneration
Daily: Knockout, Reaper's Stance, Weaponsoul Dance, Assassin's Point

Without magic weapons, Piercing strike is made at +28 (+31 with CA) vs. REF and deals 2d8+9+3+4(+5d8+8 with CA)(+7 with CA when enemy is bloodied).
Without Magic, Rain of Blows is at 4 attacks +30 with CA, dealing 1d8+8+3+4 (+7 with CA and enemy is Bloodied)(+8 once per attack per day from reaper's stance)(+5d8+8 with CA one Attack).
Imperiling strike is imposing a -8 AC when it hits.
BAMF! J'ai fini with the build.

Equipment

Armor: Skybound Armor is pretty good. Displacer armor is also pretty good. I normally pick up Sylvan armor, just because I don't have many skill bonuses picked up in this build.

Weapon: +6 Reckless Doublesword (pick up a reckless sword as SOON as possible,unless you're a frost weapon user, in which case, get a +6 frost Doublesword, but I think a total of +18 damage per hit for only -2AC per hit is much better)

Arms Slot: Couters of Second Chances (All are nice for the level, especially considering you have no rerolls)

Boots: Boots of teleportation are nice, if expensive. Zephyr Boots are also good, as are Airstriders. Lower level, Boots of Eagerness are pretty ridiculous. 4200gp for an extra move action per encounter? Mmmmhhmmm.

Helm: Dread Helm is godly for its price, although Trickster's Mask is decent as well for skill challenges.

Neck: So many good ones, but Amulet of Attentuation is good, as is Flamewrath Cloak. Scarab of Invulnerability is pricey, but exactly what you need when you have a -8 to AC vs. Orcus and he's lining up his one shot power.

Finger: Shadow Band, Shadow Band, or Shadow Band. Your pick. Concealment means you can always hide which means you can always get CA. Seriously, get this ring.

Waist: Until later levels, the Baldric of Tactical Positioning is great for getting CA. Cincture of Dragon Spirit is another good, low level item that will make your intimidate checks all that much better. Later on, get Belt of Titan Strength.

Wonderous Items: Diamond Scabbard is decent (+5 damage on the first damaging attack of every encounter and quick draw. Pretty nice... if you're lower level, Ruby Scabbard is ok). Foe Stone is good for planning your attacks. GET SOLITAIRE (VIOLET) as soon as you can. It's that good. Solitaire Aquamarine is also pretty good.

Some Number Crunching with Equip

At Level 30: *Note this does not include crits*

Melee Basic Attack is at +33 (+36 with CA). It deals 2d8+8+3+4+18+(5d8+8 with CA)(+7 when enemy is Bloodied). Assuming we have CA, the average damage per hit is 75.5.

Piercing Strike is at +34/+37 vs. Ref and deals 2d8+9+3+4+18+(5d8+8 with CA)(+7 when enemy is bloodied). Assuming CA, average damage per hit 76.5

Rain of Blows is 4 attacks at +33 (+36 with CA). It deals d8+8+3+4+18+(5d8+8 with CA on one)(+7 when enemy is bloodied). The first hit deals on average, 71 damage. The following blows average is 41 damage. Average damage when all 4 hit is 194 damage. Once per day, we can activate reapers stance, which adds an additional 36 damage to every Rain of Blows if everything hits. This gives us an average of 230 damage.

Hurricane of Blood is at +42/+45 vs. AC and deals 5d8+9+3+4+18+(5d8+8 with CA)(+7 when enemy is bloodied). Average damage is 90.5 damage.

Assassin's Point is at +34/+37 and deals 7d8+9+3+4+18+(10d8+16 with CA)(+7 when enemy is bloodied). Average damage is 126.5 However, Assassin's point works best if you get an auto crit. With an auto crit, Assassin's point deals 2(6d8+56+9+3+4+18+80+16(+7 if enemy is bloodied)). Average damage is 433 damage. Ouch.

Think of this combo. Belt of Titan's Strength Daily, Knockout, Action point, Assassin's point, Action point (from the violet solitaire), Rain of Blows. Wow, you just took Orcus down to nearly half health WITHOUT resorting to cheap 1 shot tricks.

Or this combo you can use every encounter: Imperiling Strike, Action Point, Rain of Blows, (if solitaire procs) action point, Rain of Blows.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
At L11 with combat advantage it's 3d8+4, not 2d8+4.
For an items section, this rogue wants to be wielding a Reckless weapon from level 1 to 30. It adds a lot to your damage output (especially when combined with Rain of Blows, yummy), and doesn't cost you much.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Thanks Garry! I fixed it.
All in all it seems a pretty solid build, but where are you getting 4 attacks out of Rain of Blows? It says Attack: Strength vs. AC, two attacks. Double weapons don't give you extra attacks, its just like wielding two weapons, with the added benefit of the defensive property. Read the double weapons box in AV
All in all it seems a pretty solid build, but where are you getting 4 attacks out of Rain of Blows? It says Attack: Strength vs. AC, two attacks. Double weapons don't give you extra attacks, its just like wielding two weapons, with the added benefit of the defensive property. Read the double weapons box in AV

Look at the secondary effect. If you're wielding a lightblade, spear, or flail, you make an additional attack for each one. 2x2=4.

The reason I'm using a double sword is the fact that it is d8 and defensive.
Hmm, I don't know. I can see your interpretation, but one thing that throws me off is in the hit section. It lists 1[W]+strength modifier. All of the ranger multiple hit attacks say 1[W]+Strength modifier per attack. And even if its intended to be base two hits, the secondary attack section says nothing about two more attacks, so I would figure 3 attacks max. Anyone else care to help interpret this?
The extra attacks key off of hitting, thus, they activate each time you hit. Because of that, there's a max of four attacks.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
If you are in a group that works with you and can help you gain consistent CA, I think Genasi is a better choice for race. The Shocking Flame feat is very nice, granting +2 damage to melee attacks at paragon and +4 at epic. Some are of the opinion that a double manifested genasi would enjoy +8 damage at epic.

Drow are very nice though. It's nice not to have to rely on others for CA. However, with this build it might be tough to land Darkfire due to low Int, Wis, and Cha.
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
Ooh, yeah, I just forgot about landing darkfire. Hm, +24 is rather low for Level 30. It's a good thing I have darkness though ;).

I will add a note about genasi though. I'm not sure if I would make them up there with Bugbears and drow though due to fact that they don't have a +2 Dex. A +8 (+9 with the str bonus) is undoubtedly good, but I'm not sure if I want to take away a +1 to hit with most of my abilities, and take away my free combat advantage... plus he wouldn't be Darth Maul if he wasn't drow would he (the bugbear version I call the Bouncing Wookie)? ;)
Genasi would work better with something that gets a lot of melee attacks, and is based on Str. So, two-weapon ranger or tempest fighter especially. Rogue works OK, but Bugbears are just plain better. Unless you're doing a hand-crossbow build or something using Charisma (Artful Dodger and/or in a campaign with a lot of social elements), a Bugbear is more effective than a Drow in most campaigns.

As for the relative benefits, a Str-based melee character will do much better as a Stormsoul or Flamesoul than any other race just damage-wise. It's +2 damage per melee HIT, which is actually a better average than the Bugbear/Minotaur get, because oversized generally gives you +1 damage (a bigger die averages one higher than a smaller one). This becomes even nicer at epic, because it's +4 and probably +8 from two manifestations at once. The Str mod is the same, and the only thing bad is you waste a +2 on Int rather than getting a more useful Dex or Con (for a melee char).
How do you use your weapon specific attacks (i.e. blinding barrage) when you are holding a twohander? are you going to spend all your actions stowing and drawing?
iirc you can't use stab and grab or garrote grip without a free hand to grab. or a sash of ensnarement i suppose.

merciless killer is an untyped bonus and should stack w/ weapon focus. why not take blood thirst as well, at paragon? another untyped +2 damage vs bloodied. Since your mental stats blow, you're never gonna use darkfire, so you shouldn't need master of fire and darkness.

How do genasi deal with lightning and/or fire resists? also i'd think since rogues don't deal damage on a miss (w/o dailies) having that extra hit rate would be more important.

vs the bugbear, the extra dex and oversized amount to +1 attack and +2 damage on the genasi, which they don't start to make up til paragon, and don't get the +8 madness til epic. And genasi always use lightning weapons, right?
One could conceivably take Quickdraw and just hold a 2-hander in the non-using hand. In order to use the 2-hander afterwards, one would then have to either drop or re-holster/sheathe the weapon used.

For genasi, it's a flat bonus untyped (not feat, power, etc) elemental damage of either lightning or fire, no matter what kind of weapon it is (as long as it's melee damage). Should something resist the element, then it does no extra damage if the resist rate is high enough.

No reason not to take blood thirst on any melee character, assuming you can fit it into your build.
I thought genasi fighters and rangers used Lightning weapon for promise of the storm, then used multiattack powers.

Need free hand to grab, and light blade to use stab and grab or garrote grip. So you wouldn't be able to do anything while grabbing without a one handed weapon. Anyway the point of those powers is to hold on for a while, or already be holding on (to GG without an attack roll, or to S&G to cause restrained).

Ironically, if you fight another genasi manifesting (or double manifesting) the same elements as you shocking flame does nothing... also around a fifth of MM monsters have at least 5 fire resist in paragon, and a third in epic (barely any have lightning resist in paragon and around a fifth in epic).

one last thing is EDIT: WRONG.
How do you use your weapon specific attacks (i.e. blinding barrage) when you are holding a twohander? are you going to spend all your actions stowing and drawing?

I plan to hold my twohander in one hand while I draw a dagger. I throw the dagger, and then resume attacking (this is only for level 1-15- as soon as I hit 16, the +4 damage stops working if I draw another weapon)

Damn, I didn't realize that Garrote Grip had to have a free hand open. Hmm, Slaying Strike might be the only way for me to go, I guess. I'll probably end up putting in knockout then, because I want to have some way to get an auto crit/hit.

Drow vs. Bugbear
Stats: Bugbear has the advantage, +2 str >+2 cha for Maul
Senses: Drow, Darkvision > Lowlight
Encounter Power: Drow, auto CA > +1d6 on one attack
Other benefits: Bugbear's Oversized weapon >>>>Trance (Trance isn't bad: you will never be suprised at night, but oversized weapon comes into play so much more)

However, Drow also have the merciless killer feat, adding a +2.5 average damage per hit on a hit.

Funny thing really is that a drow with Merciless Killer actually has a 0.5 better damage per hit than a bugbear (however, the bugbear gains a +1 to hit for some attacks) and an auto CA. For me, Drow are also much more likely to be allowed because they have a full write up.

@Toad: Really? I guess it's fine, but wouldn't that be stacking penalties from the same source and so not count?
@Xantos: no, not really, but it should be like that. It's more same power than same source doesn't stack but whatever, edited.

Remember that Merciless Killer also requires bloodied, and not everything falls for cloud of darkness in paragon and epic. (blindsight, tremorsense, large creatures that don't fit inside the burst: speaking of which you might want to get Clutch of Darkness for that). In short, Lolthtouched powers, except maybe darkfire for drow who pump mental stats, are not auto CA.

In other news, a new Drow article is up, and has a feat called Lolth's Meat that gives you +1 feat bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn after you knock a creature to 0 or lower. Might be useful.
@Xantos: no, not really, but it should be like that. It's more same power than same source doesn't stack but whatever, edited.

Remember that Merciless Killer also requires bloodied, and not everything falls for cloud of darkness in paragon and epic. (blindsight, tremorsense, large creatures that don't fit inside the burst: speaking of which you might want to get Clutch of Darkness for that). In short, Lolthtouched powers, except maybe darkfire for drow who pump mental stats, are not auto CA.

In other news, a new Drow article is up, and has a feat called Lolth's Meat that gives you +1 feat bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn after you knock a creature to 0 or lower. Might be useful.

Yes, that's why when I average damage, I count Merciless Killer as adding 2.5damage per hit (50% chance he's bloodied, 0.5*5=2.5).

Can you hide from creatures with blind/tremorsight? If so, then cloud of darkness still is awesome. Yeah, I saw the Lloth's Meat feat (hey that rhymes!:D), and I already added a note saying that Blood Thirst is about the same as Lloth's meat and to pick whichever one you favored more (Lloth's meat is slightly better due to the fact that it is an attack bonus, but it is conditional and more iffy than Blood thirst due to the fact that Lloth's meat is from a dragon article).
Worth pointing out that the Shadow Band gives you concealment, which means you can remain hidden if you are in line of sight to a creature, but it does not prevent you from no longer being hidden if you attack. Once you are no longer hidden, you still need total concealment or superior cover to hide again.
Can you hide from creatures with blind/tremorsight? If so, then cloud of darkness still is awesome.

Blindsight I don't think so, tremorsense definitely no.

If you can hide in it, you need to beat 10 over the monster's perception, which is around its level I guess. There's still a chance of failure, so maybe an item for stealth would be good.
Sylvan Armor. +6 to Stealth at Level 30.

And are you sure you can't hide if you just have concealment? It sounded like I could when I read my PHB PDF.
There were updates. Rocks fell, all the rogues died.
Since the double sword counts as both a light and heavy blade, did you consider taking Heavy Blade Opportunity?
I did, but I don't think it's really worth it. Maul doesn't do take many OA strikes, and I think that his feats are pretty awesome right now.

Suggestions on what to take out if I did?
I did, but I don't think it's really worth it. Maul doesn't do take many OA strikes, and I think that his feats are pretty awesome right now.

Suggestions on what to take out if I did?

Off of the top of my head I'd say Acolyte Power. Unbreakable is only ever going to prevent 7 points of damage once per encounter, and its immediate interrupt carries an opportunity cost (e.g., no riposte strike if you had used that at-will earlier, etc.). While Chameleon is also an immediate interrupt, it is also at-will and valuable both in and out of combat.
Bleagh.... I need Acolyte for Adept (Reaper's Stance).

Reaper's Stance is quite useful to the build, adding 8 damage to all of my Fighter powers (I have 4 of them). It's also my minion killing stance, auto killing them, as well as inflicting auto damage on everything....

Anything else? I agree that Unbreakable isn't that great, but I didn't want to waste Acolyte power...
Bleagh.... I need Acolyte for Adept (Reaper's Stance).

Maybe I'm missing something, but the prerequisites for Adept Power are:
1 - Any class-specific multiclass feat (you have Student of the Sword)
2 - 10th level

So why do you think you need Acolyte Power in order to get Adept Power? The power-swapping feats are not predicated on taking the previously available feats first.
I'm away from my personal computer/books, so I can't check the prereqs, but for some reason I thought you needed Acolyte for Adept. Guess not :D

Thanks, I'll change that.
No problem. Thanks for posting this build; it's definitely given me some food for thought on how to make a Drow rogue that isn't nearly if not entirely identical to several of my friends' characters.
Haha, no problem. I didn't like daggermaster very much because of the d4 dice and I hated being pigeon holed into using daggers, so I was first a rapier supporter, and now double sword. Unfortunatly, none of the rogue PPs are that great for damage dealers (Shadow Asssassin is decent, but the only real reason to use it is to gain the +4 to hit during action point phase), so I had to find a new one, and the Rogue with Rain of Blows was born.
Ooh, yeah, I just forgot about landing darkfire. Hm, +24 is rather low for Level 30. It's a good thing I have darkness though ;).

I will add a note about genasi though. I'm not sure if I would make them up there with Bugbears and drow though due to fact that they don't have a +2 Dex. A +8 (+9 with the str bonus) is undoubtedly good, but I'm not sure if I want to take away a +1 to hit with most of my abilities, and take away my free combat advantage... plus he wouldn't be Darth Maul if he wasn't drow would he (the bugbear version I call the Bouncing Wookie)? ;)

The only trouble with darkness, though, is that your allies are blinded by it as well And, being a melee rogue, this might be irritating for defenders fighting nearby.

With Genasi, you could have a starting Str of 20 and starting Dex of 14. I did this with my Warforged Rogue. Even though 14 Dex is low, you are still at +7 to hit with Dex based powers when you have flanking (+8 if using a dagger). Most of the time, however, basic melee attacks are what you use. You really don't sacrifice much with this type of build, in my opinion--except when considering ranged (dex based) attacks. Yes, some of the rogue power effects are nice and your rogue skills lag behind a little, but for raw damage I think this build is more effective. The trick is that you have to have a group that will help you maintain CA--a drow rogue needs less help from friends.

Genasi Rogue: +8 to hit, +10 with CA
1d8 + 2d6 + 10 = 21.5 avg damage (basic melee attack with CA damage, level 1)

Multiclassing into fighter allows you access to Str based powers, including some that gain Dex to hit and damage. And, of course, Rain of Blows

With Genasi damage bonus at paragon and epic, you are adding another 2 and 8 damage per hit, respectively.

I think it is a very playable and effective build. However, I really like playing a drow ranged rogue using a superior crossbow too.
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
Genasi is definitly playable (I put a note about them at the top), but I don't think that they are totally optimized for this build.

I also like the Superior crossbow, but I'm thinking more of a Drow Hand Crossbow build, utilizing the HBow, Deadly Hunter (I think that is what its called), and the drow fighting style (allowing you to use the Hbow in melee). Sick.
Genasi is definitly playable (I put a note about them at the top), but I don't think that they are totally optimized for this build.

I also like the Superior crossbow, but I'm thinking more of a Drow Hand Crossbow build, utilizing the HBow, Deadly Hunter (I think that is what its called), and the drow fighting style (allowing you to use the Hbow in melee). Sick.

What is the "Drow Fighting Style" you are alluding to?
Children of Drow Dragon Article. Allows you to use Hbow in close combat without taking OAs if you have a light weapon in your off-hand.
I see that you use Great Leap as a way of getting around the battle field. From my reading doing a jump is a move, and moving out of a threatened square would provoke AoO. Wouldn't then Tumble be a better choice, as the result would be near the same?

Another problem I see with the Student of the sword trick: with the feat you get the ability to mark the guy. It's only in the Fighter class feature: combat challenge that you both mark them with the added bonus of, if they attack someone else you get to smack on them for doing so. No where in the student of the sword feat does it say you get the fighter class feature of combat challenge.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
I think this Rain of Blows build is great, and will probably use something similar to it the next time I build a rogue.

What would you recommend for a human version of this build?
[Edited because I was slightly off-topic]
About the Shadow Assassin paragon path :
I know I'm replying to a comment made long ago by Xantos, but while the +4 to attack rolls when using an action point is clearly the best feature of the Shadow Assassin path, people seem to forget that both the encounter and the daily attack of the path target reflex instead of ac. Kensei, Daggermaster and pretty much every other viable paragon path for a brutal scoundrel rogue have attacks that target ac and nothing else. Targeting reflex is a great benefit which significantly increases your chances to hit against most targets. Kensei is clearly still the best path for this build, especially since you already multiclass into fighter for Rain of Blows, but I felt I should point that out.
I did something very close to this build but I used a half-orc.
I did something very close to this build but I used a half-orc.

This build is almost a year old, Eshla - half-orcs weren't around at the time.
With the changes to rain of blows (gives 3 attacks but each has no str mod) it may change the dynamic of the build anyway.