Half-Elf Witchknight Variant

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so I've been playing around with the math, and here's what i've come up with...

Half-Elf
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 18
HP 33, 14 Healing Surges per day
AC 19(Scale + Heavy Shield)
Fort 15/Ref 14/Will 15

Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Insight +8, Intimidate +9, Religion +4, Thievery +8(when not holding Heavy Shield in hands)

Powers:
At Will: Enfeebling Strike, Bolstering Strike
Encounter: Fearsome Smite
Daily: Radiant Delirium
Half-Elf Encounter: Hellish Rebuke
Feat Encounter: Dire Radiance

At 11th:
At Will: Enfeebling Strike, Eyebite
(4)Encounters: Fearsome Smite, Righteous Smite, Howl of Doom, Mire the Mind
(3)Daily: Radiant Delirium, Sign of Vulnerability, Curse of the Black Frost
(3)Utility: Sacred Circle, Wrath of the Gods, Shielding Shades
Half-Elf Encounter: Hellish Rebuke
Feat Encounter: Dire Radiance

Feat: Pact Initiate(Star)
2: Group Insight
4: Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
6: Encounter Multiclass Feat
8: Daily Multiclass Feat
10: Utility Multiclass Feat
11: Psychic Lock
12: Human Perseverance

Always raises Con and Cha.

Some notes:
Goal is to have only have one implement, Pact Blade Rapier. The Daily Powers of Paladin seem to have a problem with this, but it seems likely to have a workaround by the time it is necessary to actually put them into play.

Is multi-classing to pick up Warlock Powers at 11th. I took Star Pact over Fey Pact, because that meant I'd end up with both of them to use - the switching the at-will is a little weird for Warlocks.

This character will be played in a 1-30 game(Living Realms) with possibly as many as 50 or so DMs. It will take approximately 3-4 years to get to 30th. This creates a couple of issues that I think greatly favors the build and multiclassing, namely, once I pick a paragon class, I can't get out of it and there will be 2 years of creep after that. But I can still cherry pick the best possible Warlock powers to put into those slots. Also, despite the apparent problems with opportunity attacks due to the low strength, many DMs won't realize I don't really do well at them. Finally, this is why I'm not really building past 12th for the moment. I don't even yet know the full rules for LFR.

Is set up to take max advantage of Healing Surges and possible other uses - starts off with 14 and will eventually get 18 or 19 for use during the day.

Covers a multiple set of roles - tank, healer, face, trapfinder, and blaster. At 11th, his Eyebite is particularly nasty - if he hits his marked target with it, they're debuffed to have a -4 penalty to hit anyone but him and he's at a -7 due to being invisible. They not only have a horrible chance to hit anyone, but he'll hit them for 11 hp of Radiant Damage if they try to hit someone but him. I don't view him as broken, but he does seem to have amazing utility for a 4e character.

While he isn't well set up to take weapon feats, that does finally start leaving him open feat slots around 12th to start putting into human/elf feats.

------

Thoughts? Do I seem to have misread anything?
I've been trying to make the opposite multi-class approach work: warlock->paladin.

Ironically, going paladin->warlock you can dump strength. Heh.

I know for LFR you can't guarantee what role you will be expected to perform on any given table. But if you are concentrating on being a distance striker with some damage soak powers perhaps you could really forgo strength.

I'm interested in the Star Pact above all, but that is the most MAD. It fits the paladin of the Raven Queen best but is hardest to fit. I've made builds with Half Elf and Tiefling, but haven't liked how they look all that much.
Customer service just confirmed to me that both At-Will powers of the Warlock are class features and can't be retrained. :P So I can't be a Star Pact Warlock, dump Con and retrain Dire Radiance.

I'm looking for 4e games to try builds out before LFR starts as well - and I'm subscribing to your thread here.

Implement:
I think you can hold a holy symbol in your shield arm hand to use for your implement based paladin powers.
Here's to wishing for a Raven Queen specific item: Holy Avenger and Pact Blade in one.
I've been trying to make the opposite multi-class approach work: warlock->paladin.

Ironically, going paladin->warlock you can dump strength. Heh.

I know for LFR you can't guarantee what role you will be expected to perform on any given table. But if you are concentrating on being a distance striker with some damage soak powers perhaps you could really forgo strength.

It is quite funny - I didn't make it the 8 because then there would be weight allowance issues and I'd never, ever hit with an opportunity attack. But the Paladin specials are all melee/charisma.

And with Constitution being one of the primary two stats, it gets an insane number of healing surges/hit points. Paladins aren't specifically that great at opportunity attacks, so it isn't a huge deal to lose out on the bonus hits. He does most of what a defender is supposed to do.

Customer service just confirmed to me that both At-Will powers of the Warlock are class features and can't be retrained. :P So I can't be a Star Pact Warlock, dump Con and retrain Dire Radiance.

That's actually the specific reason for being a Star Pact Warlock - I wanted Eyebite for the Psychic Lock synergy and I wasn't sure of the interpretation of retraining.

Implement:
I think you can hold a holy symbol in your shield arm hand to use for your implement based paladin powers.
Here's to wishing for a Raven Queen specific item: Holy Avenger and Pact Blade in one.

You can't make an attack with an item in your shield arm hand. Plus, you need a light shield to pull that off. Not to mention, cutting out the Paladin implement eventually saves a huge amount of money.
A paladin doesn't need to wield his implement--he just needs to be wearing it.
A paladin doesn't need to wield his implement--he just needs to be wearing it.

Yup. I was mistaken. I'm still planning to avoid using one at normal level - I'll probably be down +2 on it, where it is basically free. So when most Clerics would be running around with a +3, I'll have a +1. +6, +4.
Okay, so I've been playing around with the math, and here's what i've come up with...

Half-Elf
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 18

Con 18/Wis 12 vs Con 14/Wis 16 is a tough tradeoff. 18 Con enables efficient use of Con powers, but on the other hand a lot of Paladin powers key on Wisdom. 16 Wis also gives two additional Lay on Hands per day.

I would drop the Con based powers and go with:

Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 18
Con 18/Wis 12 vs Con 14/Wis 16 is a tough tradeoff. 18 Con enables efficient use of Con powers, but on the other hand a lot of Paladin powers key on Wisdom. 16 Wis also gives two additional Lay on Hands per day.

I would drop the Con based powers and go with:

Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 18

In actuality, the only Paladin power this character will eventually have that keys on Wisdom is Lay on Hands, and the Wisdom specials are often to degree - 6 Temp hit points instead of 8 Temp hit points Righteous Smite for an example from 1st through 7th. Plus I lose a huge bonus to Fort and a significant number of hit points.

On the other hand, there are lots of interesting Warlock specials that key on Constitution, and in particular, the two at-wills my character will be able to do at 1st level are those. And taking the one that doesn't do that means not being able to do the 11th level synergy of Psychic Lock and at will Eyebite - which is a lot more powerful in the hands of a Paladin than a Warlock due to the ability to mark the target and give them a range of really bad choices.
Some notes:
Goal is to have only have one implement, Pact Blade Rapier.

I believe you can only use a Dagger for the Pact Blade for the Warlock's implement.

A pact blade, a special magic dagger, can also be used as an implement for warlock powers, as well as warlock paragon powers. These daggers are highly sought after by warlocks.

I know that Pact Blade Rapiers exist, as any Light Blade can be a Pact Blade. However, the Warlock seems to be restricted to "a special magic dagger" as their pact blade.
I know that Pact Blade Rapiers exist, as any Light Blade can be a Pact Blade. However, the Warlock seems to be restricted to "a special magic dagger" as their pact blade.

I'm not sure that makes sense. Only warlocks can use pact blades, the pact blade can be applied to any light blade, but the warlock can only use dagger pact blades? Then who uses the other ones? Personally, I'd treat the text you quoted as fluff. If you look at the Pact Blade text on page 235, you'll see that it says:
Weapon: Light blade (usually daggers or sickles)

That "usually" pretty much clinches it, as it admits it's not limited to daggers, even if that's the most common case. The fact that sickles is among the usually proves that non-dagger pact blades isn't even that unusual.
I'm not sure that makes sense. Only warlocks can use pact blades, the pact blade can be applied to any light blade, but the warlock can only use dagger pact blades? Then who uses the other ones? Personally, I'd treat the text you quoted as fluff. If you look at the Pact Blade text on page 235, you'll see that it says:

That "usually" pretty much clinches it, as it admits it's not limited to daggers, even if that's the most common case. The fact that sickles is among the usually proves that non-dagger pact blades isn't even that unusual.

Right. I agree that there can be other non-dagger pact blades out there. But in the specific case of the Warlock, it specifies that their pact blade is a special magical dagger.

My guess is that they left this open ended for the future. Perhaps one day we will see a class that allows the use of non-dagger pact blades.
Right. I agree that there can be other non-dagger pact blades out there. But in the specific case of the Warlock, it specifies that their pact blade is a special magical dagger.

It doesn't specify that. It says:

A pact blade, a special magic dagger, can also be used as an implement for warlock powers,

i.e. it is saying that pact blades are daggers, not that warlocks are required to use only daggers.

There's an obvious reason for such a sentence to exist despite pact blades being light blades, not daggers only - if you're a normal warlock, a dagger is by far your best choice for that slot.

My guess is that they left this open ended for the future. Perhaps one day we will see a class that allows the use of non-dagger pact blades.

Then who uses the other pact blades? They're only usable by warlocks.
Sign In to post comments