4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

21950 posts / 0 new
Last post
Might as well start the other thread that I'm known for... I'll just cut'n'paste the notes from the other one

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catch-all for minor questions or mundane rules queries that don't really warrant a new thread here at the CharOp boards (and thus in a way, hopefully reduce the clutter of redundant threads). If you have a more detailed question about a character build or certain rulesets, etc, then I suggest posting a new thread in the appropriate forum to get a more proper response.

All newcomers and regulars alike are welcome to ask questions, and I encourage all the CO residents to do their best to answer them (because you have to admit, we're all pretty much the resident rule monkeys here at the D&D boards).

When asking a question, preface it with a Q## where ## is the next number according to whatever the last question was.

When answering a question, preface it was A## which obviously corresponds to the question you're answering (or quote the question when appropriate).
Q1: Is there any info on magic daggers for warlock? I haven't managed to find any in the phb.
Q1: Is there any info on magic daggers for warlock? I haven't managed to find any in the phb.

The Pact Blade is described at page 235:

"Pact Blade Level 3+
Warlocks favor this wickedly sharp blade.
Lvl 3 +1 680 gp Lvl 18 +4 85,000 gp
Lvl 8 +2 3,400 gp Lvl 23 +5 425,000 gp
Lvl 13 +3 17,000 gp Lvl 28 +6 2,125,000 gp
Weapon: Light Blade (usually daggers and sickles)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Property: This blade functions as a warlock implement,
adding its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage
rolls for warlock powers that use implements.
Property: When a creature you have cursed with your
Warlock’s Curse makes a melee attack against you,
deal damage to the creature equal to the pact blade’s
enhancement bonus.
Special: You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to
the attack roll when using a pact blade as an implement.
"
A1: Any light blade can be enchanted as a Pact Blade with serves as both a magic weapon and a warlock implement. See PHB pg. 235
Q2: If a character charges a Kobold Dragonshield, does the Kobold get to shift before the attack because of Dragonshield tactics? The power states the the kobold gets to shift one square if a enemy moves into an adjacent square. Does the charge count as a move and does the shift happen before or after the attack?
I can't find anything that states you need a hand free to cast wizard powers. Can you multiclass into wizard and cast spells while holding a sword and board?

Second question: Combat Challenge reads, ". . . whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt." Combat Superiority reads, "An enemy struck by your opportunity attack stops moving . . ." Am I correct is saying that a marked enemy that shifts away provokes a melee basic attack but not an opportunity attack, and therefore does not stop if you hit it?
Q 4: I can't find any way to make a weapon do more damage every hit (like the olds flaming weapons and similars) other then just the Enhancement bonus (from +1 to +6). There is anything other then this to make a weapon that deals more damage on hit then a normal one?
Q5: I don't have the exact wording handy, but the arcane implement mastery for wands says that you can apply a bonus to an attack roll when you use it. Since you roll individual attack rolls for each target in an area attack or can you apply the bonus to each target in the area?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Q2: No. Charge is a standard action, thus not a move action. Therefore the Kobold Dragonshield can't use "Dragonshield Tactics".
Q2: No. Charge is a standard action, thus not a move action. Therefore the Kobold Dragonshield can't use "Dragonshield Tactics".

Thats a very literal interpretation of the word "move". In this interpretation any power or exploit that allowed moving, such as the Rogue's Deft Strike (which allows the rogue to move 2 squares prior to the attack) wouldn't trigger the Dragonshield Tactics either, since the power is a Standard Action.

I would say anytime there is any action that involves moving into an adjacent square of a kobold dragonshield, its Dragonshield Tactics ability would trigger.
I can't find anything that states you need a hand free to cast wizard powers. Can you multiclass into wizard and cast spells while holding a sword and board?

A3.1 Under "Implements" section in any class that uses implements it states that you do not need an implement to cast a spell, but you do not get the benefits of using one when you do.

Second question: Combat Challenge reads, ". . . whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt." Combat Superiority reads, "An enemy struck by your opportunity attack stops moving . . ." Am I correct is saying that a marked enemy that shifts away provokes a melee basic attack but not an opportunity attack, and therefore does not stop if you hit it?

A3.2 You are correct, the attack provided by Combat Challenge is not an opportunity attack so it will not stop the opponent's movement.
EDIT: Answers no longer needed (above poster covered it).
Q5: I don't have the exact wording handy, but the arcane implement mastery for wands says that you can apply a bonus to an attack roll when you use it. Since you roll individual attack rolls for each target in an area attack or can you apply the bonus to each target in the area?

Thanks for the help in advance.

A5:"Wand of Accuracy: Once per encounter as a free action, you gain a bonus to a single attack roll equal to your Dexterity modifier."

I interpret this as meaning 1 attack roll. If you are targeting say 4 creatures in a burst, you would be able to announce your use of the wand before you rolled for the creature you wished to have a bonus to. It would not apply to all attack rolls for the power.
Cmon guys... stick with the format suggested here. Q whatever for question, A whatever for answer. It will make it much easier to collate the info later.

A4 - There are no items that appear to add extra damage on a per hit basis. A few other ways of adding damage are possible, but are feat/paragon related.
examples:
Weapon Focus adds +1 feat damage.
Kensei adds 4 damage to 1 chosen weapon
A 1handed versatile weapon wielded with 2 hands adds 1 point of damage.
My Sorc Guide Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649162/Joes_Sorcerer_Guide_AP_update_51509 My Genesi Wizard Blaster Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25082729/Miniguide_to_Genesi_LightningThunder_Blaster_Wizard_%2806-2010%29
Q2: No. Charge is a standard action, thus not a move action.

Dragonshield Tactics: immediate reaction, when ... an enemy moves adjacent

Immediate Reaction:Lets you act in response, triggering action is completely resolved before you take your reaction.

Charge: Standard Action, Move and Attack.

-->
The Kobold can shift after your Charge (the triggering action) is completely (including attack) resolved.
Dragonshield Tactics: immediate reaction, when ... an enemy moves adjacent

Immediate Reaction:Lets you act in response, triggering action is completely resolved before you take your reaction.

Charge: Standard Action, Move and Attack.

-->
The Kobold can shift after your Charge (the triggering action) is completely (including attack) resolved.

A2.2:This is actually more interesting than I thought.

PHB:268 ✦ Reaction: An immediate reaction lets you act in
response to a trigger. The triggering action, event, or
condition occurs and is completely resolved before
you take your reaction, except that you can interrupt
a creature’s movement. If a creature triggers your
immediate reaction while moving (by coming into
range, for example), you take your action before the
creature finishes moving but after it has moved at
least 1 square."

Technically speaking the character charges into the adjacent square, and the kobold shifts away making the characters attack miss.

Some DMs might rule that the character notices the shift, and if he has movement left can continue his move toward the kobold and finish the attack. But thats a DM's call. Per the rules the kobold shifts and the character attack hits empty air.
Q6: Can a Warlock carry a pact blade in one hand and a rod of some sort in the other and gain the properties of both?
A2.2:This is actually more interesting than I thought.

PHB:268 ✦ Reaction: An immediate reaction lets you act in
response to a trigger. The triggering action, event, or
condition occurs and is completely resolved before
you take your reaction, except that you can interrupt
a creature’s movement. If a creature triggers your
immediate reaction while moving (by coming into
range, for example), you take your action before the
creature finishes moving but after it has moved at
least 1 square."

Technically speaking the character charges into the adjacent square, and the kobold shifts away making the characters attack miss.

Some DMs might rule that the character notices the shift, and if he has movement left can continue his move toward the kobold and finish the attack. But thats a DM's call. Per the rules the kobold shifts and the character attack hits empty air.

That's not correct. It's a reaction, not an interrupt, which means the triggering action is COMPLETELY resolved before the kobold gets to shift. The triggering action in this case is a charge, which gets completely resolved, meaning move AND attack, before the shift occurs.
Q6: Can a Warlock carry a pact blade in one hand and a rod of some sort in the other and gain the properties of both?

Properties: Yes*. Daily Powers: Yes*. Enhancement Bonuses: No, choose one or the other, as per the rules for fighting with two weapons.

*By RAW, I think yes. Probably should be regulated by the DM.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
That's not correct. It's a reaction, not an interrupt, which means the triggering action is COMPLETELY resolved before the kobold gets to shift. The triggering action in this case is a charge, which gets completely resolved, meaning move AND attack, before the shift occurs.

You are both correct, but you more so in the case of the kobold. The trigger is "... when enemy moves adjacent," and not "when enemy moves." Therefore, the determining factor for "moving adjacent" is the movement of only one square to the next, not the entire movement. So, even if he could react to the movement, he couldn't to this specification because it is only the movement of one space.
Q7 Paladins start with:

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged

Does this give each of the proficiency bonuses for each of the weapons in these categories? i.e. +3 longsword, +2 flail, +2 battleaxe, +2 Crossbow, and +2 Mace, etc.?
A7: Yes. Note, he does not gain "inproficiency penalties" of 3e when wielding weapons NOT in this group.

I see the gavel falling both ways on this. I see your point, but I also read the ability as being able to interrupt the movement, which happens in this case.

Again I point to Deft Strike, which would function fully in your ruling. This seems to underpower the Dragonshield Tactics ability severly.

If your premise is that Charge is a special standard action that includes all actions associated with the charge, then powers and exploits must fall into that classification as well, but as I read charge :
CHARGE: STANDARD ACTION
✦ Move and Attack: Move your speed as part of the
charge and make a melee basic attack or a bull rush
at the end of your move."

Since a movement is involved, the Dragonshield Tactics ability should trigger, as an interrupt (per the wording) allowing the movement/charge to be paused while the kobold can resolve its Reaction ability.
I could be wrong, but this is how I'm reading the charge question.

It specifies that he completes 1 square of movement before you can make the reaction. So, if he is charging you (you being the kobold in this case), I would say you wouldn't be able to sidestep the attack. I'll admit there needs to be further ruling, because it says you can make the reaction before he is done moving, but he moves at least one square...

Anyways, I think the spirit of this is so if you're charging PAST this kobold, he can sidestep in front of you stopping your charge.
I could be wrong, but this is how I'm reading the charge question.

It specifies that he completes 1 square of movement before you can make the reaction. So, if he is charging you (you being the kobold in this case), I would say you wouldn't be able to sidestep the attack. I'll admit there needs to be further ruling, because it says you can make the reaction before he is done moving, but he moves at least one square...

Anyways, I think the spirit of this is so if you're charging PAST this kobold, he can sidestep in front of you stopping your charge.

I agree with this point, and maybe thats the reading I was missing. I was reading that the charging character had to at least start moving 1 square. Perhaps I should have been reading that the ability doesnt trigger unless he moves "through" one square that triggers the immediate reaction.
Q 4: I can't find any way to make a weapon do more damage every hit (like the olds flaming weapons and similars) other then just the Enhancement bonus (from +1 to +6). There is anything other then this to make a weapon that deals more damage on hit then a normal one?

A4 - There are no items that appear to add extra damage on a per hit basis. A few other ways of adding damage are possible, but are feat/paragon related.
examples:
Weapon Focus adds +1 feat damage.
Kensei adds 4 damage to 1 chosen weapon
A 1handed versatile weapon wielded with 2 hands adds 1 point of damage.

A4
The bracers of adding damage every hit add damage every hit.
Yes, but only on a basic attack, which probably means only on AoOs and charges. Assuming you mean the Bracers of Mighty Striking, that is.

Oops! That'll teach me to learn what I'm talking about more carefully!
A4
The bracers of adding damage every hit add damage every hit.

Yes, but only on a basic attack, which probably means only on AoOs and charges. Assuming you mean the Bracers of Mighty Striking, that is.
A 2.More
The ability to interrupt movement with an immediate reaction is quite specific. It says you can use your immediate action after the movement has met the triggering condition, but before the movement is done. But only after the foe has moved at least one space.

EXAMPLE: You have an immediate reaction ability triggerd by a foe moving within 5 squares and the foe tries to move from eight squares to adjacent to you.
1: The foe begins movement. He moves three squares.
2: The foe is now within five squares of you, but you can't do anything yet.
3: The foe moves one more square (to within four squares).
4: Now you can interrupt him. Use your ability.
5: The foe continues his movement (assuming he's still alive)

In the case of the kobold, the trigger is the foe moving adjacent to you. Since the movement of the charge ends once the foe is adjacent, you do not have the opportunity to interrupt. The foe has to keep moving for at least one square after meeting the trigger condition for you to interrupt.
A2.2 The kobold gets to shift right after the charging character enters a square that is adjacent to him. If the charging character has not moved his full speed yet, he can continue moving and then execute the charge attack if he ends up next to the kobold.

This interpretation is fully supported as follows (emphasis mine):
  • The definition of the "Immediate Reaction" action states that "the triggering action, event, or condition occurs and is completely resolved before you take your reaction". Take particular note of the phrase "triggering action, event, or condition". It does NOT state that only actions can trigger an immediate reaction. Particular events and conditions can also trigger an immediate reaction.
  • The Dragonshield's ability is triggered whenever an "enemy moves adjacent" to the kobold. This is an event that can occur in the middle of an enemy's action (e.g. charge action, walk action, run action, shift action). The trigger is the "moving-into-an-adjacent-square" event, not the charge action which caused this event to occur. This event is completely resolved once the enemy has finished moving into a square that is adjacent to the kobold, even if he has not completed the action that caused the event.

Let's try a little reductio ad absurdum to see if we can hammer the point home a little better:

Suppose the Dragonshield ability were defined as an "immediate interrupt" instead of as an "immediate reaction". If we apply the same logic that others are applying when they state that the charge action and not the "moving-into-the-adjacent-square" event is what triggers the immediate reaction, then the kobold would get to shift before the enemy even starts his movement as part of the charge, since the interrupt takes place before the triggering action is resolved. This is patently absurd, since we have no idea where the enemy is going to move before he has started his charge. The argument that led us to this absurd state of affairs must therefore be specious.

I rest my case... ;)
Q8: Do you count as your own ally?

I'd like to think so...
A8: A lot of powers specify "You or one of your allies..." (like Healing Strike, cleric encounter 1), so my initial reaction is that you do not count as one of your allies. Also, something like the Warlord's Commander's Shout (At-will 1) specifies only an ally, but the flavor is clearly letting someone else get the basic attack. The Warlord does not shout to himself to suddenly make a basic attack.
Q9: What modifiers get added in to each damage roll on a power that multiplies weapon damage (3[W] etc) and which do not? For instance I would assume magic weapon enhancements do, say from a +3 sword. But what about feat damage bonuses like weapon focus or class features like the pit fighters dirty fighting. Do they get added on every roll or just tacked on to the end result?
Q10: W/r/t the Warlord's Commander's Strike (at-will 1). Does the Warlord have to be adjacent to the target and holding a melee weapon, or does the ally who is making the Basic Attack have to be adjacent to the target with the melee weapon.

The flavor would suggest the latter, but then you get into some sticky issues with Heavy Blade Opportunist ("Ack! Goblin A is running past me towards Wizard. Quick, Paladin, smash Goblin B!")
Q9: What modifiers get added in to each damage roll on a power that multiplies weapon damage (3[W] etc) and which do not? For instance I would assume magic weapon enhancements do, say from a +3 sword. But what about feat damage bonuses like weapon focus or class features like the pit fighters dirty fighting. Do they get added on every roll or just tacked on to the end result?

A9:None. In x[W], x indicates the number of weapon damage dice rolled. No modifiers are added in.

[color=Sienna]Example: Valenae. a 12th-level eladrin paladin,
hits a foe with thunder smite. The attack deals 2[W] +
Strength modifier thunder damage and knocks the
target prone. The damage would be 2d8 (longsword’s
1d8
Q10: W/r/t the Warlord's Commander's Shout (at-will 1). Does the Warlord have to be adjacent to the target and holding a melee weapon, or does the ally who is making the Basic Attack have to be adjacent to the target with the melee weapon.

The flavor would suggest the latter, but then you get into some sticky issues with Heavy Blade Opportunist ("Ack! Goblin A is running past me towards Wizard. Quick, Paladin, smash Goblin B!")

A10: I think you are referring to Commander's Strike. The warlord must be holding a melee weapon in order to use the exploit. The target is one creature, it does not specify range, so it would be within sight. The ally is then granted a basic melee attack (which requires them to be holding a melee weapon and within range of the target). So the warlord's position is irrelevant as long as the warlord can see both ally and target (and they can see/hear him).
A8 No. This is clearly stated in the 4th edition excerpt titled "How to Read a Power":

When a power’s target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your teammates. Otherwise, “ally” or “allies” does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets.

Q11 Is it posible to spend a healing surge w/o second wind or use of a power that lets you spend one?

Q12 Multiclassing Cleric(or warlord) gives you holy word as a daily power instead of an encounter power.
... so the question is do you get to use it 2 time's durring the encounter(3 at 16) or just once?
A2 I think kobolds can use this to sidestep a charge. I would allow a cherger to keep moving in a straight line if that would let them connect (and probably even let them keep going to another target).
For balance considerations it should be remembered that charging only allows a basic attack so it's only going to come up when you need that extra movement to reach the enemy.

Kobolds are shifty beggars: don't charge them.
In the case of the kobold, the trigger is the foe moving adjacent to you. Since the movement of the charge ends once the foe is adjacent, you do not have the opportunity to interrupt. The foe has to keep moving for at least one square after meeting the trigger condition for you to interrupt.

Fighter F charges Kobold K.
Does F meet the trigger condition?
- K is adjacent to F: YES

Has F moved at least one square
- can't charge unless you move at least two squares: YES

Nothing says that the move has to happen after the trigger condition is met.
Q11 Is it posible to spend a healing surge w/o second wind or use of a power that lets you spend one?

Q12 Multiclassing Cleric(or warlord) gives you holy word as a daily power instead of an encounter power.
... so the question is do you get to use it 2 time's durring the encounter(3 at 16) or just once?

A11 One way comes to mind:
- Natural 20 on a death saving throw (NB you don't stabilise on a 10-19; merely reset the failed-save counter). Unlike 3.5 you now are more likely to wake up on your own than to die if you are left alone while dying ..assuming you still had a Healing Surge; me experience is that Surges are the limitting factor on how long a party can keep fighting.

A12 You can use the power once per day. The power is one use of the minor action to heal. The Feat overrides the power text about using it twice.
Q13: Is there any kind of arcane spell failure in 4th ed? I didn't see anything in my first read through but I may have just missed it. It seems worthwhile to pick up some light armor proficiency as a wizard for instance since you still get INT to ac in light armor.
Sign In to post comments