Multiple Attacks at Higher BAB

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
All the PC preview stuff is low level, does anyone know if you get more attacks as you go up in level like in 3rd?
Nope. No more getting additional attacks from going up in level.

There are a few ways to get more attacks, but they are generally via things like dual wielding.

The whole notion of Base Attack Bonus is basically gone anyway. Or, if you'd prefer to think of it as still being present, everyone gets the same BAB progression. The basic idea behind the whole thing is that combat will involve more rounds, but the rounds will be faster.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Hoped, then suspected, am very glad to have it confirmed.

Slowed down high level combat and against any monster that didn't go toe to toe, wasn't comprable to spellcaster dice per level attacks.

Thanks
The way I see it, higher level powers can easily simulate a Monk's Flurry of Blows, for instance, by doing higher damage, but you would only roll to hit and damage once to speed up combat.
There are still options for multiple atacks:

1) Action point
2) Powers (both area damage, problably whirlwind atack and so, and "strike twice this round" using powers that probably twf strikers, defenders and monks will get).

(Cleave for example is a minor multiple atack... atack of oportunity from marked foes is also a kind of multiple atack, etc)
I know star wars has gotten rid of iterative attacks, and because of that I "assumed" that D&D would be the same. Could ya point me to some source please?
I know star wars has gotten rid of iterative attacks, and because of that I "assumed" that D&D would be the same. Could ya point me to some source please?

I'm not sure if or where they said "we got rid of multiple attacks based on attack bonus." But it certainly seems to be true:

- The quick rules and excerpts only ever mention your attack bonus increasing by +1 every even level and that certain powers letting you hit multiple targets. It never mentions getting multiple basic attacks every turn due to attack bonus or level.

- No high level monster excerpts have multiple attacks built in solely as a function of their level. Those which can attack twice a turn do so by use of a power.

- Like you said, Star Wars SAGA doesn't have them, and 4th edition combat is generally pretty similar to that.
I would imagine that certain special attacks are part of combinations, such that a successful Special Attack A would allow you to do a Special Attack B, and so forth. Otherwise, all the different options you get via powers would become less useful, if you only get 5 (6 with an Action Point) actions per fight (assuming an average of five rounds a fight); you'd have a lot of options at any point in time, but you'd still be doing only one thing at a time - "I Special Attack" replaces "I attack." Whereas creating some combos varies the playstyle up a bit, without making multiple attacks the default; you can still plan strategies across rounds, but you also have sudden flurries of action.

And I think I've read somewhere that the rogue, for example, has some Specials (probably at higher levels) where you can execute follow-up attacks if you land them.

That being said, it's not a standard thing: you probably have to have class powers that allow them.
Race for the Iron Throne - political and historical analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire.

They explicitly said it in one of the very early 4e previews, before they changed the website around. The article is most likely still there, but the standard ways to get to it have been cut off. Doing a search might bring it up, but you'd have to get lucky and hit the right combination of key words.

I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that it was mentioned in one of the interviews which were held shortly after 4e was first announced. However, there's dozens of those things and I'm not going to sit through each and every one of them until I find that one two-second soundbite.

ENWorld might have a quote and a source, but the site is down at the moment.
The Expanded Psionics Group You don't have to be psychic to join, but it helps!
Sign In to post comments