first debate (lets see if we can be civil)

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok, So here is the pitch... What race do you currently (aka pre full rule) feel (as in yes it is only a guess) will be the most optimzable?

Dwarf minnor action second wind seams like a great tank

Eladrin free telaport 1/encounter seams to scream moble weapons platfrom (striker or controler)

Elven reroll on attack seams good for strikers

Dragon born breath weapon, more healing on surges, and extra on bloodied seams awsome

Halfling luck seams ok...but something feels weak about this one.

Teifling also feels..meh, butt could be cool.

Half-elf having the free multi class seams good for versatility...

however the humans I think take it... versatile, and almost too good.

so what does everyone think??

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Humans and Half-elves because one of the keys to optimization is options. The more feats that are added to the game over time the more valuable that bonus feat becomes. Same with the extra Power slot.

One of my assumptions for this exercise is most optimizable race rather than race/class combo.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

The minor action is good for everyone, great for defenders, but every single class can use this. From cleric to wizard, minor action healing surges are very beneficial.
Eladrin free telaport 1/encounter seams to scream moble weapons platfrom (striker or controler)

I agree. Great for sneaking past enemies to target the big baddie.

May also be good for wizards as well.
Dragon born breath weapon, more healing on surges, and extra on bloodied seams awsome

Dragonborn seem to be made for the defender roll, breath to eliminate minions, and tough to boot.

You'll probably change your mind the first time you negate a critical.

I don't know why tieflings have frosty bums I don't know.. but I think tieflings will be good defenders/strikers as well with their abilities.

Half-elves.. I'm not so keen on. The multiclass ability may be great for some builds if it stacks with the multiclass feats. Meaning, you can dabble in two classes instead of one.
however the humans I think take it... versatile, and almost too good.[/QUOTE
Humans will have the most variety, and be very tough characters.

I think humans and dwarves are tied for the top spot, however if you want your character to be durable dwarf may win out.
I would go with Dwarves for defenders and Humans/Half-Elves for everyone else. In the end though I am guessing Humans will be the best because they just get a lot more to play with in terms of customization.
It may depend on Racial Feats. If one race gets the Feats that are really worth it more than the rest, it will probably earn a lot of optimization potential. Although I think unlikely that one race will get much better Feats than all others (except maybe humans, 'cause they're broken like that).
Hard to say without the rules...

My guess about the top tiers is something like this:

Eladrins
Excelent racial feature. Many powers in this new 4e deal with "teleporting". Optimization is not DPS-only... i am antecipating that movement possibility and versatility play a very important role in the combat system.
4e is hihly inspired in that D&Dmini thing... i guess movement is crucial to that minis game, and so, probably the same will happen to 4e.
Powers like IceWall/Otilukesphere(and probably there will be many others) deal with area/terrain control. Teleport will be great to a character that is a striker with a flavour of Terrain control.
The encounter logic of 4e(that instead of fight just 1 monster the encounter will be more like a monster party/group) make this sinergy of TerrainControl/Teleport an interesting way to think the optimazation.
(Things like split the foes in 2 groups to wipe them out in diferent space/time, or cast an area pin and use teleport to be the only one to acess foes in melee and force melee foes to use suboptimized ranged atacks, etc etc)
So... one of the races that i think can become a toptier is this teleporting eladrin.

Also Half-elf
Someone above my post came up with the "triple-class" idea. That can be an excelent feature for the optimization.
Versatility and possibility is undoubtly key concepts for the optimization... spells like Shapechange/Alter/Polymorph etc were always keys for many combos in 3.5... versatility.
Half-elf will probably be a top tier because of this extra outside power...

Human
Not much left to say... as other ppl mentioned, +1 feat can be the diference to make a mechanic sinergy work.

So... Eladrin, Half-Elf and Humans are my guess for CO top tiers.
ok, So here is the pitch... What race do you currently (aka pre full rule) feel (as in yes it is only a guess) will be the most optimzable?

Since most powers now need to hit to see any effect...the race that grants a bonus to hit that applies to as many attacks in an encounter as possible.

I see one race as a clear winner for that.

With that said, Humans and Half-elves will see a lot of play due to their versatility.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
Depends on too many things to know right now. Racial feats, what class you intend to play, how many useful feats there are at every level...

But right away, Humans seem to be the best default pick. Better saves, an extra skill and an extra feat are very good for everyone. And, on multiclassing, if you're willing to wait until 4th level, they outclass Half-Elves in multiclassing prowess - humans get a skill, a per-encounter class power AND an at-will power with the multiclass feat, so because they get an extra at-will power and an extra feat to start with, they end up much stronger in that regard than Half-Elves.

Half-Elf might remedy this issue by being able to have power picks from three classes at once, right at lv4, but having one at-will power as a per-encounter one just doesn't seem THAT useful.
Depends on too many things to know right now. Racial feats, what class you intend to play, how many useful feats there are at every level...

But right away, Humans seem to be the best default pick. Better saves, an extra skill and an extra feat are very good for everyone. And, on multiclassing, if you're willing to wait until 4th level, they outclass Half-Elves in multiclassing prowess - humans get a skill, a per-encounter class power AND an at-will power with the multiclass feat, so because they get an extra at-will power and an extra feat to start with, they end up much stronger in that regard than Half-Elves.

Half-Elf might remedy this issue by being able to have power picks from three classes at once, right at lv4, but having one at-will power as a per-encounter one just doesn't seem THAT useful.

Do humans get more for taking the multiclass feats than other races then?

Humans ftw in that case.
For my money, the best for optimization is human, flat out, with elf coming in a very close second, mainly because they have the best per-encounter racial, bar none.

The only time a once per encounter attack reroll is bad is when you're already hitting with all your attacks, and I'd love to be in that sort of predicament.

Well, I suppose gnomes are right up there, too, with the ability to disappear when wounded. The only time that's useless is when nobody is hitting you, and that's not exactly a situation I'd hate to be in.
The key to the Human being the 'king' of 3.5E optimization was the extra feat and the lack of a stat penalty.

Instead of seven feats over 20 levels, in 4E we get 18 feats over 30 levels(every even level plus 1, 11, and 21). Feats also seem to have less impact than the 'big' 3E feats. While the Human bonus feat is good, it isn't as big a deal as it was previously.

As for stats, Humans get a +2 to a single stat chosen at character creation while the other seven races listed in the PHB get a pair of bonuses. While this allows Humans to excel at any particular class, this puts Humans slightly behind the curve if you look at all six scores.

I think Humans will continue to be one of the better races, but not to the extent they were in 3E.
...whatever

It's handy, but without an ability that lets you use more then one it not that significant. It might be worth more at higher levels, but at 1st level the HP recovered from the surge typically buy you one more round. The other dwarf racial abilities are not as powerful, but the one that reduces push and pull on the dwarf will be useful at times. They might be the best defenders, but their abilities don't offer as much to other roles.

Both Eladrin and Elves have powers that are potentially useful to anybody, all the time. Eladrin could be best for melee strikers, while Elves are better at range. But their racial abilities are useful enough that they should be good at any class.

Have to see the exact rules, but I expect them to fight with Dwarves for best defender.

I suspect Halflings with the right racial feats will make an awesome defensive fighter. Heavy armor, AC bonus for being near foes and forcing enemies to reroll hits makes for a target that will be hard to bring down. A lot depend on how the new weapon size rules play out.

From what I have seen so far, Teiflings actually get more use from their fire resistance then the attack power. This is the one race that actually feels weak to me. But the revenge attack power could be very handy on a defender or melee striker.

Another always handy but not stunning ability. How good the half-elf ends up will depend on how well multiclassing and the half-elf racial feats play out in practice. It is also possible some broken sets that depend on pulling in powers from 3 classes may exist.

however the humans I think take it... versatile, and almost too good.

My impression is that the extra at-will power is the key, and that ability will be major at the heroic tier but worth less as you go up. At first level, where at will powers are key, an extra one will be very powerful. As you go up in level and add more encounter and daily powers it will be worth less and less.

Right now, humans seem the most powerful at the heroic tier. But above that it will Dwarves/Dragonborn for defender and Elf/Eladrin for strikers/controllers. None of the classes seem particularly suited to leader. It is likely that the Dwarf/Dragonborn will make the best melee leaders, while Elf does the best ranged leaders.

Jay
My main concern about Humans is that their Feat Tree might really, really suck. If more than one of their abilities are based on Action Point expenditure... ugh.

It's not "Action Hero" it's "I spent the feat on something universally useful instead."
It's handy, but without an ability that lets you use more then one it not that significant. Jay

Edit: Apparently it isn't a base trait anymore.
Dwarves get two second winds per battle? Source?
Dwarves get two second winds per battle? Source?

Erm, please ignore the fact that I said anything.
No worries; I was just curious. We are dealing with some sketchy data, so I understand that it is easy to get mixed up.

As to the main topic, from my own tests dragon born make great defenders; they're easier to heal for the cleric (seriously, 1d6+Cleric's wis+1/4HP + Dragonborn's con mod] was something like 1d6+13 at first level).

However, it seems like people are skipping the leaders, because there isn't a clear answer to who would be good for them.

I expect that Humans and half elves will be good leaders; half elves can have a bonus to int and cha, the two big warlord abilities; both can have a bonus to wisdom, for the cleric. Both can have some abilities that work well. The half elf snagging cleave, for example, or the human taking the super healing feat.

Elves will gravitate to clerics more, for the wisdom bonus and AC/Ref boost from Dex; their stats buff both ranged (wisdom) based clerics, and melee clerics (ac boost, reroll ability). In my tests, the reroll being a once per encounter thing seemed to work really well.

Eladrin will make good warlords; the Eladrin Soldier feat is going to be useful to giving them a damage boost. I especially see them multiclassing with fighters for a few push abilities; utilizing the int bonus, the push bonus that spears give at the paragon tier (there was a feat that gave this bonus), the teleport for tactical focus, and so on, I think they'll make excellent tactical fighters.
I agree. Great for sneaking past enemies to target the big baddie.

Ha! I love when they try to be a hero and break ranks to charge the boss in the back, now yer surrounded, hope ta whatever-diety-still-loves-you that the healer gets to you in time...but yah i can see that as a good tactical advantage, maybe for a couple front liners to move aside and create a pincer hole in the center, now THAT'S crossfire for ya...with all those pushing/sliding benefits in the odd at-will, could be a fun combat...
No worries; I was just curious. We are dealing with some sketchy data, so I understand that it is easy to get mixed up.

As to the main topic, from my own tests dragon born make great defenders; they're easier to heal for the cleric (seriously, 1d6+Cleric's wis+1/4HP + Dragonborn's con mod] was something like 1d6+13 at first level).

However, it seems like people are skipping the leaders, because there isn't a clear answer to who would be good for them.

I expect that Humans and half elves will be good leaders; half elves can have a bonus to int and cha, the two big warlord abilities; both can have a bonus to wisdom, for the cleric. Both can have some abilities that work well. The half elf snagging cleave, for example, or the human taking the super healing feat.

Elves will gravitate to clerics more, for the wisdom bonus and AC/Ref boost from Dex; their stats buff both ranged (wisdom) based clerics, and melee clerics (ac boost, reroll ability). In my tests, the reroll being a once per encounter thing seemed to work really well.

Eladrin will make good warlords; the Eladrin Soldier feat is going to be useful to giving them a damage boost. I especially see them multiclassing with fighters for a few push abilities; utilizing the int bonus, the push bonus that spears give at the paragon tier (there was a feat that gave this bonus), the teleport for tactical focus, and so on, I think they'll make excellent tactical fighters.

You're forgetting that the "big" warlord ability score is Strength. Int or Cha are secondary and depend on your build.

So Dragonborn do make great warlords, of the inspiring type.
I agree with thecasualoblivion that people are overevauating the +1 feat humans get.

For one, we get more feats over the course of the game and as well, feats aren't as powerful it seems as before. We're not looking at 3.0 Toughness feat but neither are we going to see feats as powerful as the ToB martial stance feats.

I'm going with the half-elf myself
You're forgetting that the "big" warlord ability score is Strength. Int or Cha are secondary and depend on your build.

So Dragonborn do make great warlords, of the inspiring type.

Hmm. After reviewing some stuff, where it seems that dragonborn get a cha bonus, I'll agree; especially since they're getting the cha.

Truth be told, I suspect that warlords will have both smashy stuff (strike, ally gets a strike), and stuff that gives an over all bonus to people. I guess it is dependant on what abilities are selected. I was focusing on things that were giving bonuses, which would be keyed off the int/cha.

Really, dragonborn are probably going to excel at any melee role, from Paladin to fighter, to rogue and two weapon ranger.
Hmm. After reviewing some stuff, where it seems that dragonborn get a cha bonus, I'll agree; especially since they're getting the cha.

Truth be told, I suspect that warlords will have both smashy stuff (strike, ally gets a strike), and stuff that gives an over all bonus to people. I guess it is dependant on what abilities are selected. I was focusing on things that were giving bonuses, which would be keyed off the int/cha.

Really, dragonborn are probably going to excel at any melee role, from Paladin to fighter, to rogue and two weapon ranger.

I'm waiting to see how much a warlord can use a good Int and Cha before I make any judgements on this point (or settle on a race for my first character:P ). We've seen three powers that use a Warlord's Int mod so far, and two powers that use a Warlord's Cha mod. One power in each category requires you to have the right class feature. If a Warlord can gain a good amount of versatility by having high Int and Cha, then Tieflings will make excellent versatile warlords. Inspiring Warlords will want to look at Half-elves (who, I'm pretty sure at this point, are getting +2 Cha +2 Con), Dragonborn, and Halflings (Halfling defensive abilities could be good for staying in melee range without putting a strain on the Defender's ability to protect you), while Tactical Warlords will look at Eladrin (and Humans can of course go either way).

From what we've seen so far, with the exception of Commander's Strike, all of the Warlord's stuff is melee smash + give out overall bonuses, so a Warlord won't have to decide on a round to round basis "attack or buff." Strength is definitely going to be a primary attribute for all Warlords, because a lot of the powers we've seen so far only give their full buff on a successful hit (apparently a swing and a miss isn't all that inspiring;) ). Giving all your allies a +5 bonus on attacks against the solo monster because you have an 18 Int isn't going to happen if your 13 Str makes Lead the Attack miss.
I'm waiting to see how much a warlord can use a good Int and Cha before I make any judgements on this point (or settle on a race for my first character:P ). We've seen three powers that use a Warlord's Int mod so far, and two powers that use a Warlord's Cha mod. One power in each category requires you to have the right class feature. If a Warlord can gain a good amount of versatility by having high Int and Cha, then Tieflings will make excellent versatile warlords. Inspiring Warlords will want to look at Half-elves (who, I'm pretty sure at this point, are getting +2 Cha +2 Con), Dragonborn, and Halflings (Halfling defensive abilities could be good for staying in melee range without putting a strain on the Defender's ability to protect you), while Tactical Warlords will look at Eladrin (and Humans can of course go either way).

From what we've seen so far, with the exception of Commander's Strike, all of the Warlord's stuff is melee smash + give out overall bonuses, so a Warlord won't have to decide on a round to round basis "attack or buff." Strength is definitely going to be a primary attribute for all Warlords, because a lot of the powers we've seen so far only give their full buff on a successful hit (apparently a swing and a miss isn't all that inspiring;) ). Giving all your allies a +5 bonus on attacks against the solo monster because you have an 18 Int isn't going to happen if your 13 Str makes Lead the Attack miss.

Well, the optimal Str-to-Int values for Lead the Attack can be calculated (not by me, hell no), specially after we get the full rules and are able to add in attack-enhancing feats, racial abilities etc.

I'd say that for this specific power you'd want as high Int as possible (so Eladrin comes to mind) with as low Str as you can go and still have a decent chance of hitting after you include every bonus.
Do humans get more for taking the multiclass feats than other races then?

No, but compared to half-elves (advertised to be the best multiclassers), since humans get a third at-will power, they can replace that one with another class's upon taking the multiclassing feat, rather than having one class's at-will power as a per-encounter one with a half-elf...

At-will as an at-will is better than an at-will as a per-encounter power. And since humans get an extra feat, they still have the same amount of feats left after that as the half-elf without it... They just have the power usable more often, and the other extra bits from the multiclassing feat.

So currently, to my eyes, humans seem to win the multiclassing thing. Especially if half-elves' main claim to fame are things like +1 to party Diplomacy.
No, but compared to half-elves (advertised to be the best multiclassers), since humans get a third at-will power, they can replace that one with another class's upon taking the multiclassing feat, rather than having one class's at-will power as a per-encounter one with a half-elf...

At-will as an at-will is better than an at-will as a per-encounter power. And since humans get an extra feat, they still have the same amount of feats left after that as the half-elf without it... They just have the power usable more often, and the other extra bits from the multiclassing feat.

So currently, to my eyes, humans seem to win the multiclassing thing. Especially if half-elves' main claim to fame are things like +1 to party Diplomacy.

Um, the bolded part is incredibly true, to the point where the underlined part seems unlikely. Letting a fighter actually take a ranged Burst 2 at-will from the wizard seems like it would be impressively over the top, especially now that we've seen the limitation of the fighter mark.

Does the limitation on the fighter mark deserve a thread yet? That is, (according to the KotS package, apparently) the mark fades every round, so a fighter can only keep as many things marked as he can attack in the round. (Mark fades after the fighter's next turn). That seems like a big limitation on the "fighter MCing into wizard for fireball to mark everything at once" idea that floated around the old boards a lot.
FWIW I've actually had a chance to read parts of a 4e PHB recently, and there is only one way I am aware of to gain a second class's at-will as an at-will. That's one of the benefits of dropping your paragon path for 'deeper multiclassing'. (It swaps one of your old at-wills for the new one.)

So a human, half-elf, dragonborn, or anything else will not be getting another class' at-will power at-will before level 11. In fact, except where specifically granted by the initial multiclass feat, no one but a half-elf can get another class' at-will powers at all before level 11.
Humans are going to be the best Battle Mages - hands down. Consider this:

* Action Surge - A Human Feat that provides a +3 bonus to all attacks made using an Action Point. Wizards use AOE's that in 4e cause multiple attacks (i.e. multiple rolls). Plus three to each is really something special in 4e.
* Battlemage Action - A Paragon Power that gives the character +4 to all attack rolls for when they use an Action Point until the end of their next turn.
* Implement Mastery - A class feature that gives the character +2 to a single attack roll as a Free Action once per encounter. Currently, we've only seen Wand Mastery but I think there will be Staff Mastery as well. The difference was spelled out in RnC, staves being the implement of AoE spells.

I imagine massive strikes from Human Wizards in 4e would look something like this:
Round 1 - Use an Action Point and cast a Cone of Cold (with Lingering Frost) against the targets to Immobilize them with a total of +7 to hit. Then cast Frostburn using Implement Mastery with total of +6 to hit and +5 to damage. The Lingering Frost will give them Vuln 5 Cold which means they take an additional 5 points of damage for starting in a "Frost Burned" square for 10pts per round.
Round 2 - Cast Prismatic Spray on the targets for +4 to hit to cause Blindness so they stay in the Frostburn and take another 10pts. Otherwise, if there's one left blast it with a Ray of Frost to slow it for a turn keeping it in the frost to cause more damage.

Only Human Wizards can "Set Up" llike that because of Action Surge.
See, I think the bonus from Battlemage action wouldn't last until round 2; Round 1, before you init, you use the action point, then you take your turn. At the end of this turn, you'd lose the bonus, I imagine. I might be wrong enough.

Still, it's a heck of an opening volley.
Um, the bolded part is incredibly true, to the point where the underlined part seems unlikely. Letting a fighter actually take a ranged Burst 2 at-will from the wizard seems like it would be impressively over the top, especially now that we've seen the limitation of the fighter mark.

Oopsy-daisy, I forgot the base multiclass feats don't give a power power, just a class power. And I just remembered that there were three power swap feats, so I remembered they mapped directly to at-will/encounter/daily. Totally missed that one of them is a utility. That's where the confusion comes from.

So, never mind me, no-one's getting another's at-wills as at-wills unless they're willing to give up a Paragon path for it. A half-elf fighter getting a Scorching Burst off once per encounter and marking all those foes hit by it might be interesting, and have its own place... But Half-Elves still seem weak, but now I see their specialty.
Still, it's a heck of an opening volley.

Heh. If you're going nova, better to make it count.
Oopsy-daisy, I forgot the base multiclass feats don't give a power power, just a class power. And I just remembered that there were three power swap feats, so I remembered they mapped directly to at-will/encounter/daily. Totally missed that one of them is a utility. That's where the confusion comes from.

So, never mind me, no-one's getting another's at-wills as at-wills unless they're willing to give up a Paragon path for it. A half-elf fighter getting a Scorching Burst off once per encounter and marking all those foes hit by it might be interesting, and have its own place... But Half-Elves still seem weak, but now I see their specialty.

Still, a multiclassed Paragon Path human is going to have -four- at will abilities. That's pretty neat.
I really love the new elf, that makes me wanna play them again.

I think of elf ranger with rogue multi-classing having these nice features:
elven accuracy
7 skills
sneak attack 1/enc

Also the eladrin with the fey step look quite nice, I'm thinking ninja (which means rogue (maybe with wizard multiclassing) in 4e terms)!

Darn, there are so many combinations I'd like to try...
Heh. If you're going nova, better to make it count.

True dat :D

That's one Daily 15 and one Encounter 13 plus an Action Point in a single round. Frosty Nova
True dat :D

That's one Daily 15 and one Encounter 13 plus an Action Point in a single round. Frosty Nova

It seems like our Nova Wizard's best friend is going to be a warlord. From the Warlord character we now have:

Tactical Presence: When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an attack, the ally gains a +2 bonus to the attack roll.
Feat
Tactical Assault: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to make an attack, the attack’s damage roll gains a +4 bonus.

So, assuming this stacks, we're up to +9 with the action point attack. At this point, Cone of Cold might not be the spell to use. I'm thinking Prismatic Beams. It's a 15th level ability, so we have (4, 8, 11, 12) stat boosts... So a 22 INT isn't out of the question here... Lets assume 16th level, so we can compare it to an elite of that level (the earth tital)

So, we have +8 (1/2 level) + 9 (Crazy action point stuff) +6 (Int), + magic (lets say 3?). This means we are at +26 to hit with this Action Magician attack.

We have an example of a level 16 brute elite, the earth titan. His defenses are: Fortitude 33, Reflex 27, Will 28.

On a two or better, the target takes 2d6+Int fire damage, and 5 ongoing (save ends) and is dazed (save ends). On a 7 or better, the target also takes 2d6+int and 5 poison (ongoing).

Not a lot of damage, I suppose, but the dazing, the change for multiple damage types, and the fact that you can potentially daze everyone in a burst with this attack seems like it would let the fighters clean up.
Don't forget Action Surge or whatever the Humie racial feat is.

I wonder if they are all "feat" bonuses.
Don't forget Action Surge or whatever the Humie racial feat is.

I wonder if they are all "feat" bonuses.

I think that was in the math... Although, I didn't include the bonus damage from stuff into the different rolls for the Prismatic rays.

Rays is interesting because bonus damage would go to each roll for each effect.
Tactical Assault: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to make an attack, the attack’s damage roll gains a +4 bonus.

You did notice that this enhances damage, not to-hit, right? ;)
You did notice that this enhances damage, not to-hit, right? ;)

Er, probably.

I should just say now that I was sleepy when I did the math, and drastically messed up on some things. I think the idea, though, of using the damage booster + pristmatic beams, which can hit multiple defs and rolls damage multiple times, is a good one.
Er, probably.

I should just say now that I was sleepy when I did the math, and drastically messed up on some things. I think the idea, though, of using the damage booster + pristmatic beams, which can hit multiple defs and rolls damage multiple times, is a good one.

Don't sweat over it. I was just making sure you got the +4 on the right part of the equation (on an unrelated notice, I think that feat might grant +Int Mod).

I didn't mean to sound as if I disapprove your theoretic build, or the value of a Warlord to it.
* Action Surge - A Human Feat that provides a +3 bonus to all attacks made using an Action Point. Wizards use AOE's that in 4e cause multiple attacks (i.e. multiple rolls). Plus three to each is really something special in 4e.

While handy, you have to be targeting a LOT of foes for it to actually be good; I ran the numbers, and for it to beat, say, Dwarven Weapon Proficiency for damage it has to target four people. This isn't always all that feasible.

You're looking at a highly situational bonus which you can only use every other encounter, and worse still, this means you have blown several abilities on a single combat round once every other encounter. This doesn't make for much staying power, and novaing simply is not as effective this edition because you do so much less damage.

While you're ensuring you're going to hit with a single attack at this point, you're only hitting with this once every other encounter. Yes, AoEs help this, but it still isn't all that hot unless you can deal enough damage to kill people and/or fight foes which your abilities completely incapacitate - and isn't Blast of Cold a daily?
Dwarves are a pretty powerful race with Second Wind as a minor action (compared to a standard action as it is for all other players.) This is pretty big for the melee combatants that can move, attack, second wind all in the same round. Sometimes you really need to heal to take that extra attack but you don't want to give up an attack to do it.

Humans are really great too with their added versitility with a free skill, feat, and +1 to defenses.