Race to reskin as Merperson in 4E?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

If I'm playing another game of 4E I have a couple of character concepts and one of them is a psionic mermaid. Who can move on land because magic/psionics.

I can't find anything that would work though. I was surprised that there was no Sea Elf or anything in the monster races.

Is there anything vaguely aquatic I could reskin? Things that have special abilities in the water, etc. but nothing too severe since it probably won't come up THAT often. 

Watersoul Genasi? They're one of only two level 1 races that can breathe water iirc.

Edit: Oh, you can go Half-Elf and take the Thaliessan Blood feat, it also gives you underwater breathing on top of a fake "aquatic" keyword and a swim speed.

What's the other race?

Doesn't necessarily have to be Level 1 either. 

It seems like this is doable either way, thanks. 

The other race is Hengeyokai, if Carp or Crab type. (or some other fishy animal you fluff in there, I figure)
They can gain a swim speed and breathe underwater when they enter hybrid or tiny animal forms.

Didn't mention them because they have literally zero racial support.

Your best bet is probably half-elf with the feat to become aquatic - it'll take up the least amount of your resources, gives you a swim speed (unlike the watersoul genasi) and half-elves are a really good race in general... Since they have the option of going with a racial bonus to either Wisdom or Charisma they have a wider range of choices among the psionic classes.

There isn't a lot of feat and/or item support for underwater stuff, so other than breathing water most of the mermaid stuff will just be fluff. If you're looking for classical-Greek-siren-type powers, you'll be getting most of those through your class choice. Consider multiclassing into bard, going bard|psionic hybrid or going straight bard and using their multiclass versatility ability to pick up psionic feats and powerswapping.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Half Elf and bard feats would be too similar to my current character though... who's a half Eladrin(human reskinned as such) but I guess it's just mechanics. 

Don't necessarily want too much in the way of Siren powers but it would be nice.

I LOVE the idea of playing a crab person. Shame there's no rules for it. 

Hengeyokai have the option of choosing to turn into a crab, I believe. You could always reskin a thri-kreen as a crab person - hell, they even have a feat that lets them crabwalk when prone, lol. You could always talk your DM into tweaking them a bit so they have waterbreathing and a slow swim speed...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Another option is to talk to your DM about creating an Elf or Eladrin Racial Theme/Template that would turn them into merfolk.  That way you don't have to fill a feat slot to gain the aquatic abilities you’re looking for.