Essentials Ranger (Hunter) vs. other Controllers

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i've not played with the character builder since this Forgotten Kingdoms and Fallen Heroes books have come out. So I am kind of catching up, and right now I am trying to make a Drow Ranger for my fiance four our next campaign, and we need to fulfill the Controller roll still. So Ranger (Hunter) caught my eye.

While making this I noticed, it doesn't let you pick at-wills, encounters, dailies. Upon some research I am guessing this is something they did away with with these new character classes???

Also, if this is indeed the case, will she function on the same level as the other players, or am I making her a weaker character?

Any explanation and enlightenment on this class or these new features in general is much appreciated.

Thanks!

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
So from other stories on the forums I am gathering that the Essential classes do not function as well. Can this be confirmed? I mean are they actually weaker than normal 4.E classes? My confusion leads me to, why are these essential classes compatible with D&D 4.E if they are so much weaker?

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

The Essentials classes get less choice in their selection of powers and many operate outside the AEDU power structure. Most of the Martial classes use basic attacks and then have class features that modify those attacks to make them the equivalent of at-will powers. Instead of getting multiple encounter powers, they get one power that just adds damage to their regular attack and then gain more uses of it per encounter as they level up. Rather than picking from a wide list at every level most of the E-classes are assigned a specific power or class feature at particular levels, although they're also free to choose from any power on their parent class's list whenever their class gives them the oportunity to choose a power. They can take any utility power they want whenever they get to choose one.
They're not weaker. Although the original classes have better nova potential and tend to do better in a shorter work day (under 4 encounters), the E-classes are better in a longer work day (more than four encounters) since their damage doesn't drop off after a certain point (i.e., when the original classes run out of daily and encounter powers). The Hunter was just poorly written as a controller, and could have been done much better.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

We had a hunter ranger in our parry for a few sessions. I was playing the controller role in our group (arcanist wizard), and I was not impressed with the hunter ranger in terms of control ability or damage.

Rapid shot is the hunter multi target ability, and it has a -2 penalty to all attack roles which just ruins the controller function of popping minions.

Trick shot is a handy at will which can inflict a slide, prone or slow effect on 1 target.  This really the best skill the class has, but it is not enough to compensate for losing on the big damage of a striker or the adabtability or control of encounter or daily powers of the other controller classes.

I will say, that if your fiance is new to DnD or even 4e, a essentials character will dratically limit the influx or rules and complexity that comes with characters not starting at lvl1.  It will allow a new person to learn about the different actions in combat and positioning without as much hand holding.  Your fiance could then decide to roll a new character and make a more informed decision on the role and class they would like to play in future sessions. 
Got it! I'll make her a seeker then :P

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Sign In to post comments