Psionic spy!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
First let me apologize if this is the wrong forum. Long time browser, but first time poster. I was a little torn between posting here or character op.

My friends and I are currently running an all dwarf homeworld campaign. Since when is one campaign ever enough though? So, we've decided to try a sort of turn-based campaign via google hangouts throughout the week since we can't really coordinate a second game night with everyones various schedules. The premise for this second campaign will be that we are all part of a spy network within a city in our homeworld. I wanted to stray from the obvious choices of thief/rogue/assassin for such a campaign so I was thinking psion. The obvious inspiration being Kimmuriel of Bregan D'aerthe. 

That being said Drow are no where near prevalent in our homeworld and we have yet to allow them as a pc race, so that's out. I was thinking maybe tiefling, but I suppose any CHA based race could work as I want the character to be a 'smooth talker'. Due to the format we're trying this on combat will be at a minimum so most sessions will center around diplomacy and deception. For RP flavor purposes would another race seem more suited to this? 

Now to the main reason I posted here opposed to the character op forums. The backstory. We're all allowed to come up with our own motives and reasons for why we are a part of this spy network. The obvious reason seems to be orphan growing up on the streets, oe thing leads to another and petty theivery eventually escalates to joining a 'theives guild' type organization. A little to cliche for my tastes, however, I'm drawing a blank on anything better. 

Does anyone happen to have any good motives as to why one would join a seedy undground spy network? I should clairify that 'good' is no way a reference to alignment as I'm perfectly fine playing an evil character if it fits the story.  
Role Play Craft : Crafting Ideas, Modules, and Options for your Role Playing Game. Now with reviews!
First let me apologize if this is the wrong forum. Long time browser, but first time poster. I was a little torn between posting here or character op.

My friends and I are currently running an all dwarf homeworld campaign. Since when is one campaign ever enough though? So, we've decided to try a sort of turn-based campaign via google hangouts throughout the week since we can't really coordinate a second game night with everyones various schedules. The premise for this second campaign will be that we are all part of a spy network within a city in our homeworld. I wanted to stray from the obvious choices of thief/rogue/assassin for such a campaign so I was thinking psion. The obvious inspiration being Kimmuriel of Bregan D'aerthe. 

That being said Drow are no where near prevalent in our homeworld and we have yet to allow them as a pc race, so that's out. I was thinking maybe tiefling, but I suppose any CHA based race could work as I want the character to be a 'smooth talker'. Due to the format we're trying this on combat will be at a minimum so most sessions will center around diplomacy and deception. For RP flavor purposes would another race seem more suited to this? 

Now to the main reason I posted here opposed to the character op forums. The backstory. We're all allowed to come up with our own motives and reasons for why we are a part of this spy network. The obvious reason seems to be orphan growing up on the streets, oe thing leads to another and petty theivery eventually escalates to joining a 'theives guild' type organization. A little to cliche for my tastes, however, I'm drawing a blank on anything better. 

Does anyone happen to have any good motives as to why one would join a seedy undground spy network? I should clairify that 'good' is no way a reference to alignment as I'm perfectly fine playing an evil character if it fits the story.  

Oops, friends acct didn't log out properly. The OP is actually mine. Sorry about that. 

I think Halfl elf would be an interesting racial choice for what you're wanting. Also, an interesting choice for background is that you joined the spy network because you wanted power. Enough power to do... well something. It could be that you want the power to help someone you care about but you aren't powerful enough to yet. Like you want the money to buy your sister who is in slavery, or a friend of yours you care about has angered a high noble, so you're using your spy contacts and power to keep him/her hidden and alive. Or a less noble motive, like you want to destroy a high noble who killed your family, etc. In the world of politics, there could be someone you want to kill soooo much, but you can't touch them due to their political pull with the king or something. So you play his/her game and become a spy, pulling strings from behind the curtains.

Sign In to post comments