Tiefling names: so hard to come by!

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a name for one of my Tiefling characters, I know people say that Tieflings can also have human names but I'd like to stray away from that as far as possible because they aren't human; they are a completely separate species I know at one point they were human, however, now they live as exiled half-fiends who are outcasts from societies!

Sorry, I began to ramble. *ahem* Anyway, down to business, I'd like your help coming up for a Tiefling name. Let's hear a few please, preferably a lot! :embarrass
A few Tiefling names I've used for PCs and NPCs:
First Names (Female):
Araven, Aria, Cre, Inspira, Seiriloth, Tieglis, Vara
First Names (Male):
Aist, Claore, Kail, Loke, Reshoon, Valmong, Zerris
Surnames:
Malith, Keilsparn, Orgost, Xerrarn, Yashar

Though what defines a Tiefling name is beyond me.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
A few Tiefling names I've used for PCs and NPCs:
First Names (Female):
Araven, Aria, Cre, Inspira, Seiriloth, Tieglis, Vara
First Names (Male):
Aist, Claore, Kail, Loke, Reshoon, Valmong, Zerris
Surnames:
Malith, Keilsparn, Orgost, Xerrarn, Yashar

Though what defines a Tiefling name is beyond me.

Those are indeed creative names, did they just come to mind or did you get it from an online name generator?
Those are indeed creative names, did they just come to mind or did you get it from an online name generator?

All of them are my own creation.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
All of them are my own creation.

I envy your creativity! I need to brainstorm harder to figure out my Tiefling's name.
My favorite way to make a name is to take a word, then jumble the letter until you get some interesting sound combinations, then make adjustments for unambigious pronouciation.
Look for "fire" and "demonic" (or similar) in other languages, then adapt to be comfortable in your native tongue.

For example, entering "fire" into Google Translate gives me these Romanian words (bold added for my favorites):
1. foc
2. văpaie
3. flăcări
4. aprindere
5. ardoare
6. incendiu
7. pârjol
8. pârpăra
9. temperatură
10. jar
11. fierbinţeală
12. înflăcărare
13. înfocare
14. pasiune
15. căldură
16. avânt
17. entuziasm
18. strălucire

... so we could end up with Parjol jar Ardoare, the Tiefling Wizard who specializes in Fire fire Fire.

Cheers, -- N
Illyria Emilie Anteros is my favorite. She is currently my 1/2 elf bard (Lyrandar skycaptain), but was originally planned for my human turned tiefling swordmage (a teleporter of Orien).

More faves: (not necessarily for tieflings only, but they are all "dark" enough to pull off)

Sisa'kofa
Foul Deliverer, Fair Destroyer
Grianne
Karnilla
Threnody
Yaassima
Heylel ben Shachar
Rhade
Lameth
Ashur
When I first started using 4E tieflings, I threw all the ideas out the window and just started giving them Russian sounding personal names.
M - Arkadi, Borya, Dmitri, Issac, Leonty, Yurick
F - Agnessa, Dimas, Marishka, Natalia, Roza, Yulia

Family names tend to be descriptive portmanteaus.
ex - Hellwhisper, Coilinghorn, Bloodeye
I like to use demon or devil names from mythology for my tieflings. I named my current PC, an enchantress, Lilith after the mythological demoness. I also have a tiefling sorcerer named Belhifet.
How bout Bob? Idk, I never understood why people in a fantasy setting would go through the trouble of limiting themselves to a certain TYPE of name for any character. Especially in 4.0 where all the players are characters that are decidedly unusual.
From what I've seen of tieflings, their names are meant to evoke a sort of Greco-Roman feel, similar to how dragonborn names sound Persian or Babylonian (Shamash was the name of the Babylonian sun god).

Names like Thyreus, Pandora or such would probably work well.
Hezekia - 'He tusted in the Lord the God of Israel, so that there was none like him among all the kinds o Judah after him, nor among those who were before him.'- 2Kings18:5

This is the name of my first teifling. I think the book of Kings is full of good guys and bad guy names that are just perfect for dragon born and tieflings.

I love the concept of a redeemed people and who more so than the tieflings?

I also have a tiefling named Tenebrous which is a 'slang' name like 'virtue' or 'black' or 'red' (Hellboy anyone?). Tenebrous means gloomy but sounds more fierce in my opinion. My party likes it.
Hezekia - 'He tusted in the Lord the God of Israel, so that there was none like him among all the kinds o Judah after him, nor among those who were before him.'- 2Kings18:5

This is the name of my first teifling. I think the book of Kings is full of good guys and bad guy names that are just perfect for dragon born and tieflings.

I love the concept of a redeemed people and who more so than the tieflings?

You know, the Hebrew Bible mentions the Nephilim, a race of fallen angel/human hybrids. The Nephilim are also mentioned VERY BRIEFLY (name only) in the Christian Bible too. Makes me wonder if these are the original half-fiends slash tieflings in RL myth?

Anyways, my point is, I think Hebrew names are also great for tiefling use. There's something ominous, grand, and terrifyingly awesome about Hebrew names. Like Heylel Teomin, also known as barabbi. Like that. Or Maimonides or Ezra. Azrael works too.

I also have a tiefling named Tenebrous which is a 'slang' name like 'virtue' or 'black' or 'red' (Hellboy anyone?).

Anung Un Rama!!! :P
Morthos, all Tieflings are Warlocks named Morthos.

Y
Anyways, my point is, I think Hebrew names are also great for tiefling use. There's something ominous, grand, and terrifyingly awesome about Hebrew names. Like Heylel Teomin, also known as barabbi. Like that. Or Maimonides or Ezra. Azrael works too.

I love Semitic names for Tieflings. I named mine Hormah. It means Destruction in Hebrew. Arabic words all sounds great, as do Mesopotamian and Egyptian. A player I know has a sorceror named Sekhmet.

The word names are also an easy out. Wayward. Stray. Avarice.
I use mostly ancient Greek/Roman/Egyptian names for my tieflings. As theirs was an ancient empire I feel that names like more arcane/ancient names work very well. Digging through the bible is a great Idea, as is going through other hsitorical texts like those of Julius Cesar etc.
Someone mentioned Russian names, so what about Chernobog or Zherneboh, or Polunocnica (Lady Midnight).
Fadden McPaddy
Rabble Dabble
Zum Zig
Ronald McDonald
Ling Tief
Gnilfeit
Alucard
Hamburgler
Don't forget that it's the 'in' thing among young Tieflings to take a meaningful or descriptive word as a personal name. The adopted daughter of a Karrnathi general, natural tactician Ermintrude Ir'Vaine changed her name to Strategy Ir'Vaine upon admission to Rekkenmark Academy.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
The Teiflings I've seen take a more literary approach, I've played a Faust (wizard), I've seen a Dorean (bard), and I gm a Garrl (avenger with a leatherboy German accent).
My Tiefling Warlord, who is a foreign mercenary* with an unspecified real name that locals find difficult, goes by Scratch. I like it for being (a) a stupid military nickname, (b) a slang term for money and (c) a reference to Satan.

* He sometimes claims to have fought for six different Empires of Nerath.
You might also bookmark this site: http://www.behindthename.com/

It helps with all sorts of names. I use it for most of my naming needs. Thanks thanks to behind the name all the teifilings in my world have hawaian names.
Anung Un Rama

best tiefling name ever.
Karza Talish
Tyrilo Norkev
Ferxikas Xonthulon
Rolgan Tolalas
Verimala Jalkimra

there. five good tiefling names, and I haven't even made a tiefling character, and didn't make them up before hand; I just made them all up right on the spot.

its easier to make a name than you think.
[QUOTE=angelus_obscura;19171928

Shachar
My Name is Lothaer Shachar, Cleric of Ion. Some people call me Ion Shachar :D
OZYMANDIAS!

GOZER!

ZUUL!

ISHTAR!

ZARDOZ!

I go for greek type names only first names though for tieflings then I'll add a title later in the campaign

Some that i have used 

Achemenar, Prince of the Nine hells, Heir of Turath(Infernal Warlock, Turathi Highborn, Prince of Hell)

Dakos the Merciless, Captain in the Army of Nessus (Resourceful Warlord, With The Infernal Captain's Pact, Infernal Strategist)

Miltiades the Ancient (Revenant Tiefling Vestige Warlock)

I think Tiefling names should be really ironic as a rule. How that fits into the campaign depends on the world... but the really mundane names should have a high rank, IMO. But something like Callisto or Loki translates well, I guess.
When I first started using 4E tieflings, I threw all the ideas out the window and just started giving them Russian sounding personal names. M - Arkadi, Borya, Dmitri, Issac, Leonty, Yurick F - Agnessa, Dimas, Marishka, Natalia, Roza, Yulia Family names tend to be descriptive portmanteaus. ex - Hellwhisper, Coilinghorn, Bloodeye

Weird, their names always sounded greek to me. Like (and this is the names in the PHB) Akmenos, Damakos, Skamos, Pelaios, Kairon....

I usually go for a name that has a K in it and ends with a OS. But slavic names are always fun to use.

EDIT: Just realised two posts over me the guy said the same thing. Whoops.
My favorite way to make a name is to take a word, then jumble the letter until you get some interesting sound combinations, then make adjustments for unambigious pronouciation.

This is always a good strategy for naming characters, but it says in the PHB1 that Tieflings often choose names for themselves based on a concept which they'd like to live up to.

I like to use demon or devil names from mythology for my tieflings. I named my current PC, an enchantress, Lilith after the mythological demoness. I also have a tiefling sorcerer named Belhifet.

Funny, I also use Lilith for my Drow ranger...

The name you pick really depends on what type of campaign you're planning. If you like the more serious names with a personal name and surname, try also considering some of the literature available. I'm not personally aware of any FR novels including Tieflings, but I'm sure some exist. My campaign is a bit more casual, so we end up with names like Shamus for the human bard, so I named my Tiefling Total. Like the cereal.
I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a name for one of my Tiefling characters, I know people say that Tieflings can also have human names but I'd like to stray away from that as far as possible because they aren't human; they are a completely separate species I know at one point they were human, however, now they live as exiled half-fiends who are outcasts from societies! Sorry, I began to ramble. *ahem* Anyway, down to business, I'd like your help coming up for a Tiefling name. Let's hear a few please, preferably a lot! :embarrass

There is a plethora of very good Tiefling names scattered throughout the 2E Planescape material, if you happen to have access to any of it.

Danny

Weird, their names always sounded greek to me. Like (and this is the names in the PHB) Akmenos, Damakos, Skamos, Pelaios, Kairon....

Not too weird that they sound alike to some people. Russian names are influenced by Greek and Roman naming conventions. That's why they're names are so lenghty, powerful and full of syllables. Wink

Danny

How about

Aeternas von Feuerschein

Eberhardt d'Vir

Malebranche

?
Male?

Donith
Lothlar
Malken
Hosson
Koltin
Ain
Pai
Erth
Parl
Pendlon

Female?

Liliss
Shamal
Ini
Ein
Donell
Mikal
Hess
Kalla
Erah
Pessil

(Just throwing some out there. Feel free to take and change them)

Don't forget that it's the 'in' thing among young Tieflings to take a meaningful or descriptive word as a personal name. The adopted daughter of a Karrnathi general, natural tactician Ermintrude Ir'Vaine changed her name to Strategy Ir'Vaine upon admission to Rekkenmark Academy.

I took this to heart when naming my Tiefling.  As a bard (prescient), I named him Timbre Gun'thir.
I prefer Melnibonean names for my tieflings. I had a tiefling warlord called "Dyvam Tvar" .
The Elric saga is a good sorce for gothic fantacy material.
I was once ticked off by a suggestion to translate tiefling to "teufling" (which is not a translation at all) that I decided to give a tiefling a Russian-Jewish name: Dima Teufelmann.
Don't ask for logic behind this.

Oh, and I came across an Insomnia Azaer, a star warlock (cousin to Amara Azaer of Fallcrest; I gave her a brother named Lakmados who insists to be called Nightingale; this sounds a lot more badass in English).
When naming my characters I usually go to a random name genarator, pick a dozen or so names, pull sounds I like from them and recombine them to get a unique name.  For tieflings I really like using Babylonian, Hebrew and sometimes Egyptian names.  I think together they give the sense that the name comes from an old demon or devil, which compliments the race's origin story.

I also like giving my tieflings a common name as described in the PHB.  While the book says the name is a concept that the character tries to emulate, I like to expand that to include names of people that they respect or name's whos' meaning is significant to them.  For example, I once named a tiefling avenger Sampson because he worshiped Pelor and Sampson means "light."
Whats a good name for a tiefling necromancer. "Deadthreaduss Reserectus"
Tiefling necro?  That's easy:  Mavet Malkut.  Hebrew for approximately "death rulership".  

Just come up with some ideas for the profession your char follows, and search out some foreign-language dictionaries with pronunciation guides.  Bulgarian would work well, too.  

Angel names, demon names, even just meaningless words that sound good work.  For example, "Yabulka" would be a good name.  Means "apple" in a variety of languages, but sounds cool.

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
Sign In to post comments